As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Presidential Election: I could have, but didn't

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I am hyped for the debate Sunday. I think the last time I was this hyped for a live TV event was when was real young and was a mark (believed it was real) for professional wrestling.

My girlfriend is dragging me to a WWE PPV and I will not be able to watch this one live as a result. :(

I'll be flying to a work convention for 5 hours roughly when this thing starts.

So basically when I land the ashes will be settling, and there'll likely be a 50+ page thread to catch up on.

Forar's Request will one again apply; whatever context you're willing to put into your posts during said debate will be *immensely* appreciated.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    "What I said 10 years ago doesn't matter. But please remember that Hilldawg punched a guy when she was 8."

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    God, whenever I have a day where I am not paying attention to everything that's happening in politics, it seems like Trump does/is revealed to have done something extremely dumb/offensive

Just watched the tape.

Gross. Gross. Gross.

I see this as a bit like the Ray Rice video. Everyone knew he knocked out his wife in a elevator but it only really got massive outrage when the video came out. Everyone knows Trump is a cad but there's nothing like having it on tape.

Also, this doesn't just hurt Trump with women. It also hurts him with conservative dad's with daughters who already don't like Trump but want an excuse to vote for him anyway. This actually matters whereas Trump was already losing very badly with women.

On the other hand, to take the devil's advocate position on why any woman would vote for Trump, plenty of excellent President's have been fairly icky with their dealings with women (Kennedy and Clinton come to mind).

At this point, my non-Trumpy conservative friends are caught between wanting him to win to save the Supreme Court and wanting him to lose in a landslide to save the GOP.

In any case, Trump lost what tiny chance he had in the last debate and these servings of October Suprise are just shovels of dirt on the coffin.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I just realized that Clinton is going to release an updated Mirrors/Our Daughter's Deserve Better ad with this audio. It's going to be blasted, every day.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Titles for the next thread:
    US Presidential Election: How is he so bad at this?
    US Presidential Election: Oppo research is important!
    US Presidential Election: An October Advent Calander

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Man. I forgot that Dan Carlin has two daughters. His next episode of his political podcast should be spicy

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Aaaand as I'm sure most of us suspected, even the leaked "damaging" transcripts aren't even real.

Edited for direct link to tweet..

Do we have a source on this besides a tweet linking to another tweet?

What I've read of the Podesta emails is pretty lame, but I can't find anything saying they've been doctored.

Here's ars technica on the details. Some appear to have been edited, the rest do not come from where theyre claimed to be from.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/10/researchers-find-fake-data-in-olympic-anti-doping-guccifer-2-0-clinton-dumps/

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Christ, do I hate Twitter as a medium for actual communication.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Aaaand as I'm sure most of us suspected, even the leaked "damaging" transcripts aren't even real.

What I've read of the Podesta emails is pretty lame, but I can't find anything saying they've been doctored.

Here's ars technica on the details. Some appear to have been edited, the rest do not come from where theyre claimed to be from.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/10/researchers-find-fake-data-in-olympic-anti-doping-guccifer-2-0-clinton-dumps/

Weren't the Podesta emails different? This is what I was referencing last page.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

I haven't noticed any reporting about those yet from a forensic standpoint but the latest Guccifer 2.0 drop was fraudulent. As far as I'm concerned anything from a tangentially Russian related source is extremely suspect.

I mean that's fine, I wanted to see if there was more than just "Assange hates TrumpClinton."

It doesn't really matter, I seriously doubt anything in those transcripts is even remotely bad. The worst thing I've seen so far is that she doesn't want to overregulate Wall Street.

Which I mean, yeah, is that supposed to be a surprise?

edit: Clinton, not Trump.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Erin Burnett, one of CNN's anchors, quoting an unnamed friend of hers who claims to have been kissed by Trump after he gave her a tik-tak

I'd condemn that line by Trump's supporter but honestly she looks like she's about to cry

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Like, seriously.

How were they so bad at their jobs?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    y26zaft8url0.jpg

this is the right approach, good on you CNN

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    Where is @Elki with a fresh new thread? This one endured way too many revelations.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I've seen the belief that Pence can save them come up from severa conservatives today and it is hilarious and delicious. They *still* can't accept that there is more to an election than white male appeal

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Hey guys what's going on in...

oh

oh, wow.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

To be fair to the AP, it was an apology so rare as to still be pink enough to grab.
    What did these say anyway? They seem to be deleted?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

All I can picture is an elephant weeping in the corner of a bathroom: "Not like this. Not like this."

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Kind of. No one has done forensic analysis on them yet. But the source is inherently tainted since we are getting all of this through the same actors.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Well, part of that is because he did "better than Trump" in the debate no one watched.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I think I'm dropping money on Ryan withdrawing trump endorsement. 21 cents now...

This will never happen

So buy the 79 cent shares and give me a better price!!!!!!!! @So It Goes

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Like, seriously.

Even if it didn't come up in the primary you'd think somebody would have found this and maybe used it to keep Trump in line.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Kind of. No one has done forensic analysis on them yet. But the source is inherently tainted since we are getting all of this through the same actors.

Which is also what I said. Although technically not the same as explicit links between Russian hackers and Wikileaks haven't been made yet, to my knowledge, whereas everything about Guccifer 2.0 appears Russian.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Trump is no longer attending the event with Ryan tomorrow.

Trump is going to get in a fight with Ryan now. It is the most Trump thing he could do.

Edit: McCain now has a statement but does not unendorse Trump.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Oh Sam Bee.

E: Breaks the satire rule, I guess. BE NICE TO ME!

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular

Like, seriously.

Even if it didn't come up in the primary you'd think somebody would have found this and maybe used it to keep Trump in line.

You can't use it to keep someone in line if they're not ashamed or afraid of it, though. He was bragging about getting away with murder in the primaries. Literally.

I would about guarantee Trump will not apologize or run away from this. He's gonna latch on to it like a bulldog because as unfathomable as it is to normal people, he is proud of what he is.

I have been wrong on nearly everything I've predicted so far, though. I thought a few hours ago this would end up being just another nasty anecdote. So who knows!

• Options

a valid observation. will anyone call them on it? normally i'd say no, but these are...interesting times.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Tie it to their necks and let them choke on it.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular

Like, seriously.

I think they all completely swallowed the party line that Trump could shoot someone and not lose, they were all convinced that everyone hated Clinton so much that Trump could just show up and say, "I'm not Clinton!" and win. And with that headspace why even bother doing oppo research?

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    As a naked partisan I hope they don't disown him. Keeping them tied to his termite ridden rotting mast probably gives a better result in Congress.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

Sardaukar approaching.

Usul, we have Wormsign the likes of which God has never seen.

• Options
    Dragon6860 wrote: »

Like, seriously.

I think they all completely swallowed the party line that Trump could shoot someone and not lose, they were all convinced that everyone hated Clinton so much that Trump could just show up and say, "I'm not Clinton!" and win. And with that headspace why even bother doing oppo research?

They meant the primary. Like how did none of them find ANY of this shit out and use it against him then?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    and the email just him my inbox

Joshua --

The general election is a choice between the potential first female president and a guy who says, and I quote, (and I'm sorry), "grab them by the p**sy."

Do something with that sick-to-your-stomach feeling, Joshua. Chip in $5 right now.
    You’re one of our most committed supporters. If you've saved your payment information, your donation will go through immediately:

Joshua, donate now: $5

Joshua, donate now: $5

Joshua, donate now: $10

Joshua, donate now: $25

Joshua, donate now: $50

Thanks,

Mini

Mini Timmaraju
    National Women's Vote Director
    Hillary for America

(i donated)

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Guest on FOX right now shocked that this video is making such a big deal because none of the sentiment is actually unknown about Trump.

And for those of us who saw the NFL twist themselves into a pretzel with the second Ray Rice video came out, we all know that it isn't the knowledge of something bad, its having it on tape for all to see and hear.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Trump is no longer attending the event with Ryan tomorrow.

Trump is going to get in a fight with Ryan now. It is the most Trump thing he could do.

Edit: McCain now has a statement but does not unendorse Trump.
    Paul Ryan's statement is weird.

"Women should be championed and revered, not objectified."

That statement makes my head hurt. Reverence is just another form of objectification, and in the long term leads to the Madonna/whore dynamic.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular

Like, seriously.

They meant the primary. Like how did none of them find ANY of this shit out and use it against him then?

Rules of Regan. Never attack a fellow Republican.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Like, seriously.

He won with a plurality comprised of deplorables. It might not have mattered.

glimmung on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.