Options

Ask Tube: D&D Edition

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    About how many forum members do you at least vaguely know even if its just to the level of "that dude posts in SE++ a lot"?

Is it more than people you vaguely know in real life? If so are you cool with that?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Could you rub my dog's tummy?
    JDAWGGM.jpg

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So over the years D&D has been home to some truly stupid conversations (such as the debate over male circumcision); which were your favorites?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Who couldn't rub that dog's tummy?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    What kind of threads in D&D do you view as adding value the most? Which would you like to see fewer of?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    A long time back, D&D had a list of logical fallacies not to use in threads in a sticky, but this was eventually removed. Was this because it was having a negative effect on quality of discussion, or was it just shifted out of the way as a priority?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    A long time back, D&D had a list of logical fallacies not to use in threads in a sticky, but this was eventually removed. Was this because it was having a negative effect on quality of discussion, or was it just shifted out of the way as a priority?

Fallacy-offs are annoying so I am glad I was never around for that.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    One serious/one not:
    - Has there ever been any talk of splitting off the movie/TV/music threads into a separate forum similar to the way Something Awful does it? (I don't have anything against them being there, I'm just always kind of surprised they haven't been shoved off into their own thing to let D&D focus on other topics.)

- What's your favorite Hitman kill? (e.g. the prop gun in the Blood Money opera level)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »

Fallacy-offs are annoying so I am glad I was never around for that.

um if you weren't even around for it how do you know it's annoying i think that's a fallacy, sir

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Who couldn't rub that dog's tummy?

Presumably, someone deathly allergic to "adorable".

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tube, are you officially on-call at all times? Do you work on other forums? How often do you get woken up to put out fires? What happened with last year's Christmas forum rollout?

Woken up, never, although it could theoretically happen. I'm always on call. More likely is that I wake up to something horrible. I can't really remember the Christmas forum rollout other than that something broke and I woke up to it. It wasn't huge on the disaster scale as these things go. "thing on the forums broke" is the least of my problems generally.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    What is the worst movie you've seen in the past five years or so?

I only watched it last night but X Men Apocalypse is a solid choice
    Doodmann wrote: »
    What was the worst event or gimmick the forum tried to create/run?

Its been a while but I still remember a few.

I'm not going to shit on any event because they largely raise money or do good things even if they end up being a pain in my arse. However I also just can't recall a particularly bad one
    Ludious wrote: »
    Do you view the forums -as- a community or simply a casual place for discussion, meaning that you would perhaps rather people not form overly familiar bonds and that eventually "moving on" from the forums is your preferred end-game for community members?

It's a community. It's not, however, a support group. That's the real problem. As far as people moving on, I don't have any particular ambitions for the forum populace as a whole but I'm not sad when people do it. It's either because they got busy and found other things or because they stopped liking the place. I wish people who don't like the place would move on sooner rather than later.
    shryke wrote: »
    I think I remember you saying that D&D was the most annoying forum to moderate. Is that true? And if so, why?

Because the amount of reading I have to do in any given problem situation is around 20 times that of other forums. Also because it houses the populace a populace most likely to believe that they're one massive PM away from me reversing their warning and declaring them the victor of all things.
    Are people who post in D&D markedly different from other areas of the forum and why does that make your life better or worse?

See above. Every forum has its own variety of shitty contributors, D&D's bad ones are unfortunately among the most tedious and the most prone to enthusiastically sniffing their own farts.
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Is there any chance of us ever losing the "/or" again at any point?

No

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Tube, what is your favourite novel, your favourite album and your favourite flavour?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Even the Ninja one Tube? Even the ninja one? I'm pretty sure I thought the forums were just closing forever.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Do you guys (you, Icy, whoever) have any more forum events planned? There was the cupid one on valentines day and one where people were getting kidnapped and one where we wrote nice notes about each other and others i'm sure i'm forgetting about. Those were fun!

How do you deal with an upset astronaut?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Tube, how do you feel about the advocacy of devils? Specifically people openly arguing for positions they don't actually hold either because they think someone ought to or because they think if no-one does, it'll create slippery slopes to some larger harm.

What do you think about forumers who make a consistent habit of these kinds of arguments?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Have you ever been swayed by an explanation of an offense? Not in the "I'll be good please let me rejoin" sense, but actually like "alright, I guess that won't be an infraction?"

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Is D&D the only major discussion forum that got an acronym modifying name change?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Is D&D the only major discussion forum that got an acronym modifying name change?

Critical Failures used to be Of Dice and Men.
    That was a pretty big change to an acronym.

• Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    Is it hard to keep being a boss mod from going to your head?

Do you ever worry about burn out or apathy?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Oh damn.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Is there any time limit to the ban I have on making [chat] topics?

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    How did you get your job? Were you a community mod first and got promoted? Were you an independent hire? What are the best two things about your job?

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Linksville went from existing to not.

Though I'm not sure null set is really an acronym.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I've noticed that you rarely, if ever, utilize the reaction buttons. Is that on purpose, or did you just never pick up the habit?

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I've noticed that you rarely, if ever, utilize the reaction buttons. Is that on purpose, or did you just never pick up the habit?

Also, do mods use the report button

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    What portion of the forums do you think has stuck with the forums since you first joined?
    Also: Who is the longest-lasting forum member that you know?

Probably the SE loyalist contingent. There are people who've been there since it was called M2. The longest running forumer who's still active is The Geek, I would say.
    Athenor wrote: »
    Do you view d&d as a whole to be biased in any direction?

Have you ever taken active steps to adjust that perception?

If there was one activity you wish D&D would lessen or stop, what is it?

It's super liberal. That's beyond our ability to really change. We do try though, to discourage dogpiling and allow conservative voices to have a place on the forums. That's probably the most time intensive moderation task on the forums. Most conservative voices who do sign up aren't interested in anything other than screaming at anyone, unfortunately, and the ones that are find the hyper-liberal atmosphere off putting. TLDR, you can be a Trump supporter here, I don't have a problem with that ad admin, but you have to be able to keep your shit together. That doesn't really happen. We have a ton of hyper left wing members who got kicked off for not being able to keep their shit together, but people don't count them.

There are some views we're just not interested in having here. Don't like trans people? Not my problem, go somewhere else. Racist? Go somewhere else. Think you should have the right to scream and wail and be a fuckwit? Well, you don't. This is my garden, behave or get the fuck out of it.
    schuss wrote: »
    1. How sick are you of Hitman questions?
    2. Do you see or are there any detectable differences in word patterns or usage between forums? Is that something that's ever looked at? Just curious as a data person, since anecdotally the way people talk here vs. G&T vs. SE is different in ways that are hard to verbalize.

Nah not really. D&D folk are long winded due to the nature of the forum but that's about it.
    PantsB wrote: »
    About how many forum members do you at least vaguely know even if its just to the level of "that dude posts in SE++ a lot"?

Is it more than people you vaguely know in real life? If so are you cool with that?

Hundreds, and yes. It would be impossible to do this job and not be introduced to a variety of people dozens of times larger than my own social group.
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So over the years D&D has been home to some truly stupid conversations (such as the debate over male circumcision); which were your favorites?

Male circumcision got me onto Cracked, so I'm picking that. It was technically H&A but fuck you, none of you were going to check if I hadn't said anything.
    One serious/one not:
    - Has there ever been any talk of splitting off the movie/TV/music threads into a separate forum similar to the way Something Awful does it? (I don't have anything against them being there, I'm just always kind of surprised they haven't been shoved off into their own thing to let D&D focus on other topics.)

- What's your favorite Hitman kill? (e.g. the prop gun in the Blood Money opera level)

The prop gun is my least favourite in fact! My favourite is the very first one, the sniper rifle in the briefcase. It set up a vision of what that game should be that was never fully realised, one heavily influenced by Leon.
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Even the Ninja one Tube? Even the ninja one? I'm pretty sure I thought the forums were just closing forever.

I don't know what this is in reference to.
    Bogart wrote: »
    Tube, what is your favourite novel, your favourite album and your favourite flavour?

Good Omens, none, and uh... spicy?
    Gooey wrote: »
    Do you guys (you, Icy, whoever) have any more forum events planned? There was the cupid one on valentines day and one where people were getting kidnapped and one where we wrote nice notes about each other and others i'm sure i'm forgetting about. Those were fun!

Those are icy dependent. He has a few up his sleeve but is hella busy.
    How do you deal with an upset astronaut?

I do not understand this reference
    Have you ever been swayed by an explanation of an offense? Not in the "I'll be good please let me rejoin" sense, but actually like "alright, I guess that won't be an infraction?"

Yeah every now and then. It has to be based on a factual error rather than "uh, I think you'll find I'm totally in the right"
    Pony wrote: »
    Tube, how do you feel about the advocacy of devils? Specifically people openly arguing for positions they don't actually hold either because they think someone ought to or because they think if no-one does, it'll create slippery slopes to some larger harm.

What do you think about forumers who make a consistent habit of these kinds of arguments?

It's ok to be a devil's advocate if you're not a dick about it. This is a debate forum. I have little time for the movement to make this a forum that does not countenance the idea of debate.

That said, mostly people who play devil's advocate will be a dick about it. We don't really have any repeat offenders that I know of.

Tube on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Tube, how did you get involved in the PA forums. What's your origin story?

• Options
    For some reason I don't remember Tube as a moderator on the forums that got nuked like 13 some odd years ago. He was here?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Tube

Are you for or against AI?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So Tube...

How much of your moderation time gets spent rooting out shills and people self-promoting?

I remember it being a much larger problem some time ago and I am not sure if we just got better at it or if they moved on to Social Media.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Tube, is it okay to report people for not arguing in good faith? Like, they're not quite trolling in a technical sense but they're making arguments clearly for the sake of just perpetuating the argument. Is this okay to report or nah?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Tube, why are Kobalds statistically inferior to other character races in 3.5 edition D&D? They get big drawbacks and no significant advantages over, say, Halflings.

Er, wait, D&D stands for Debate and/or Discourse? Goose it all to hell.

• Options
    Tube, why are Kobalds statistically inferior to other character races in 3.5 edition D&D? They get big drawbacks and no significant advantages over, say, Halflings.

Er, wait, D&D stands for Debate and/or Discourse? Goose it all to hell.

Kobolds get hella splatbook support though. There are huge benefits to being Draconic.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Does reading any part of the forum give you pleasure outside of professional satisfaction? What kind of stuff do you take pleasure in?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Is it hard to keep being a boss mod from going to your head?

Do you ever worry about burn out or apathy?

No, it's less huge of a power rush than being manager at McDonalds. Even if there were that element to it, it would have long worn off after ten years.

Burn out is a real and pressing issue. It's mostly in my control though. If I want to, theoretically, take a week off, I would just do it. If I want to say "fuck the forums today, I'm playing Skyrim", I can just do it. As long as nothing catches fire, my time is my own. Remembering that fact is the tricky part.
    zepherin wrote: »
    Is there any time limit to the ban I have on making [chat] topics?

No. I'm guessing whatever you did was bad enough and the upside of repealing it is small enough that it will never be repealed.
    psyck0 wrote: »
    How did you get your job? Were you a community mod first and got promoted? Were you an independent hire? What are the best two things about your job?

User, then mod, then admin, then community manager, now... something something. I will at some point be told to make up a new job title and will do so.

The best things are the freedom and the times when I'm able to simply fuck around and have fun. The presidential fuckstyles debacle, for instance, was something I did with my actual work day and then billed for. That's pretty good.
    Javen wrote: »

I never picked up the habit. I typically use them now for clarification when I've yelled at Chico for making a joke that I did, in fact, find funny.
    Also, do mods use the report button

Yep! Mostly for point and laugh purposes
    Trace wrote: »
    Tube

Are you for or against AI?

For. Maybe it annihilates everyone but I'll take it. I'm going to die without a singularity anyway, may as well be to Skynet.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    May I petition for scheck's return from chat exile?

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Czar's a good word, have you considered using it in your TBD title?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Tube, long time listener, first time caller

There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Is there a way to view forum content pre 2006?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Tube, long time listener, first time caller

There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move

Haven't we asked enough Hitman questions?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish