Options

Ask Tube: D&D Edition

• Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Pony wrote: »
    Tube, is it okay to report people for not arguing in good faith? Like, they're not quite trolling in a technical sense but they're making arguments clearly for the sake of just perpetuating the argument. Is this okay to report or nah?
    Tube wrote:
    Yep.
    How much is perceived intent weighed against content? How does one keep room there for devils advocacy, something arguably needed on a forum with a dearth in diversity of opinion? Are tarot cards useful with such divinations?

armageddonbound on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    jacobkosh def top 4 D&D mods you guys

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Oh, what's the best way to report a series of posts where several people are being geeselords and it's not really just a single thing?

Like sometimes a thread becomes completely derailed by an argument between a few people. Is reporting a post from each more useful than, say, reporting a recent reportable post and including in the message that actually it should include the last four pages and several people?

Like, I guess what I mean is it better for me to do the work and summarize or simply present all the facts and let you/the mods do the work of sorting it out?

If you recall how the Awesome Posts subforum used to work, I think it's similar to what mods see with reporting posts for violations. Ergo, reporting a post creates a thread and each report of a given post after the first just appends a comment.

It certainly does because I have tons of threads created when I have legitimately made like two.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

You may damn him with faint praise, but I prefer to praise him with faint damns.

d-damn...

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Tube, how many mods are there and do you think there are enough for the current load? (this is not me asking if you are wanting a new mod, lord knows I don't/can't do it)

Also, will there ever be a tasteful 18 Month Mod Calendar photo shoot?

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Tube, which user where you most happy to perma ban.

Like; "Finally I get to show this goose the door." Kind of thing.

D&D specific user if you have several spread across the forums.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Is it even possible for it to get to that level?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Do we really need a target hate on for someone banned? The person is banned, can't we leave them be?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    What can change the nature of a poster?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Tube, what are your thoughts on ignore or block features on forums? Do you think they're a release valve that wouldn't be needed in a truly healthy community or something that even healthy community needs to maintain peace?

Are the particular implementation details important? Minimizing posts vs hiding them, limited vs unlimited ignore list size, scrubbing vs leaving quoted posts, etc. How much thought went into this?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Also, will there ever be a tasteful 18 Month Mod Calendar photo shoot?
    Tasteful? No.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

adequacy is job one

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I'm curious, has there been a real drop off in this subforum in the last couple years? Does it extend to others? I know the PAX forum seemed quiet this year too.

In D&D specifically, assuming its not just in my head, is this a function of moderation policy? Departure of regulars? Nothing in particular?

I just feel like the D&D of five or ten years ago moved a lot faster and had a lot more going on...some good, some bad obviously.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    there have been fewer and smaller trash fires in here the last few years

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Actually, scanning the front page maybe it's just me? The bottom thread is from today, so things move. Maybe a lot of the threads I used to frequent faded away (specific shows, politics, etc).

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Tube, If there was a banned poster you could bring back, which one would it be and why?

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Just want to say thanks for all the work keeping this a damn good place. All the mods do a great job, but you most of all I think make this a place worth being. I know DnD isn't your favorite, but it's my home here, and I'm happy that you are working to keep it as good as it is.

Thanks man.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Actually, scanning the front page maybe it's just me? The bottom thread is from today, so things move. Maybe a lot of the threads I used to frequent faded away (specific shows, politics, etc).
    I think the forums as a whole have taken a pretty big hit from other forms of social media

• Options
    Tube, when you play games do you tend to bounce between multiple games, or play one through to completion? Are you (generally) a 100%/multiple playthrough/achievement guy? How often do you wind up abandoning games without finishing them?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    Tube I have grown into a Level 42 fanboy over the past 6 months. Is this a band endorsed by the Adjudicator of Hitman y/n. I want to say that you first exposed me to Mark King's playing however many years ago.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Tube, why are Kobalds statistically inferior to other character races in 3.5 edition D&D? They get big drawbacks and no significant advantages over, say, Halflings.

Er, wait, D&D stands for Debate and/or Discourse? Goose it all to hell.

Because kobolds should be NPCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja06DJrFe5E

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Preacher wrote: »
    Is there a conference for admins of large communities? Do you know any other admins of large communities?

There are conferences for community managers. They're garbage intended to sell the services of consultants with no social value. The endgame of a community manager is becoming a consultant, that's why I'm not interested in the field outside of here.
    What do you think we, as a community of posters, can do to improve the tone and charitability of posts and alter forum culture, if anything?

Mainly look out for your own posts. Otherwise, use the report button. We've thought about rules against, specifically "uh, I think you'll find" etc, but at a certain point the forum just becomes too heavy with rules. One of the things the main populace can do is simply refuse to engage with people who behave like that.
    Oh, what's the best way to report a series of posts where several people are being geeselords and it's not really just a single thing?

Like sometimes a thread becomes completely derailed by an argument between a few people. Is reporting a post from each more useful than, say, reporting a recent reportable post and including in the message that actually it should include the last four pages and several people?

Like, I guess what I mean is it better for me to do the work and summarize or simply present all the facts and let you/the mods do the work of sorting it out?

The more information we have the better, but you can summarise with "x and y have been going at it for pages now" so I know what to look at.
    Orphane wrote: »
    Tube, often times in scanning through D&D threads i will encounter a particular thread of argument that seems like both sides are arguing past each other and they don't, for whatever reason, want to stop. Are there any particular steps I should take in this scenario? I imagine the best course of action would be to simply ignore it and start discussing another aspect of the issue and try to bring the thread around to it, but is there a point where two posters are so engaged in an argument for argument's sake that I should just report or somethig?

Go ahead and report it, if you're reporting garbage we'll let you know. People generally don't.
    Tube, do you ever get caught up by the draft system? By that I mean something fairly regrettable you decided against posting getting autosaved and then prepended to the start of your next post.

Do you leave these? Do you edit them out? Have you ever gone all CIA and used secret admin editing to make the mistake vanish?

Nah I tend to delete drafts immediately if I decide not to post them.

• Options
    How much is perceived intent weighed against content? How does one keep room there for devils advocacy, something arguably needed on a forum with a dearth in diversity of opinion? Are tarot cards useful with such divinations?

No one cares what you intend. Your message is what you communicate, not what you wanted to communicate. For instance, your tarot card comment is communicating that you're a snarky dick who's continuing a deeply tedious argument with Pony in my thread. This is a venue to ask questions openly without passive aggression, do that or fuck off.
    Tube, how many mods are there and do you think there are enough for the current load? (this is not me asking if you are wanting a new mod, lord knows I don't/can't do it)

We have 20 something and are somewhat overstaffed

What Preacher said. Once people are banned I stop thinking about them.
    Tube, what are your thoughts on ignore or block features on forums? Do you think they're a release valve that wouldn't be needed in a truly healthy community or something that even healthy community needs to maintain peace?

Are the particular implementation details important? Minimizing posts vs hiding them, limited vs unlimited ignore list size, scrubbing vs leaving quoted posts, etc. How much thought went into this?

The block functionality on Twitter is necessary because they do no active moderation. On forums it's stupid. If someone is legitimately harassing you, tell us and we'll deal with it. If you just want to ignore someone, do it manually by ignoring them.

I didn't design that feature, so I don't know how much thought went into it. I know that it hasn't been revised in years and several aspects of it need work.
    I'm curious, has there been a real drop off in this subforum in the last couple years? Does it extend to others?

No, traffic has been steady since the death of the PA report which was the only major hit we've taken. That thing brought us a lot of hits, but they were all empty calories from my point of view. The PAX forum has dropped off a little, people use other venues for the stuff they'd normally do there now
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I think the forums as a whole have taken a pretty big hit from other forms of social media

People have more options, but we haven't actually seen any dip in numbers since the rise of social media. The idea that Twitter is killing off forums is largely false. All it's done for me is give forumers that I don't like a place to fuck off to.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Tube what is a thing that you've been inspired to try out that was brought to your attention by D&D? Or alternatively is there some hobby, wacky activity, or form of entertainment that you've read about here and have felt inclined to seek out by have yet to do so?

(p.s. thanks for all of the work on the forums. it's really cool but everyone already said that.)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Tube,

How exactly was I branded with the Apple/xbox logo? I know that Donkey Kong made the xbox variant of it, and I know my... erm... praise for those brands have likely earned it.

But did someone pay for it at a Child's Play thing?

Did a mod say "holy shit we need to do this this guy is crazy"?

I don't mind it at all, I just have no idea what the actual genesis of it is.
    Buy a Mac.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Woah, I always assumed that was something you had implemented, Synd. :O

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I never noticed that until now.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Is a TV thread analogue to the Movies thread still out of the question? (And is this the right place to ask, or have I just been a jerk?)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I thought you got it because icy was in the chat thread while you were espousing your love for apple.

Then DK made the one that alternates based on the dithering color between xbox and apple and pinged icy and he was like "I love this" and uploaded the new version.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    syndalis wrote: »
    Tube,

How exactly was I branded with the Apple/xbox logo? I know that Donkey Kong made the xbox variant of it, and I know my... erm... praise for those brands have likely earned it.

Buy a Genesis.
    new post transparency confirmed
    2000px-Sega_genesis_logo.svg.png

TL DR on
  • Options
    Tube what is a thing that you've been inspired to try out that was brought to your attention by D&D? Or alternatively is there some hobby, wacky activity, or form of entertainment that you've read about here and have felt inclined to seek out by have yet to do so?

It's hard for me to separate that out because I find out about most stuff through the forums these days.
    syndalis wrote: »
    Tube,

Buy a Mac.

Someone paid for it in an auction. I thought it was you.
    Thirith wrote: »
    Is a TV thread analogue to the Movies thread still out of the question? (And is this the right place to ask, or have I just been a jerk?)

I am not going to lobby for it. I hate blanket movie or tv threads and the only reason there's a movie thread is that the mods push back when I want to close it.

• Options
    Thanks for the swift reply.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options

Sorry if it's not what you wanted as an answer. For an example of why I don't like them: there's a tv thread in SE right now. It's mostly talking about Westworld, but because it exists there's no Westworld thread. People looking at the forum don't go "oh cool I like Westworld, I'm going to talk about Westworld in that thread". The conversation isn't as good as it would be in a thread about Westworld. It ends up being a super generalist thread that is convenient but has no real positive traits apart from that.

• Options
    No worries. I see your point; ideally, there's a place for both kinds of conversation, the media-specific chat and the show-specific discussion, but in practice this doesn't always work out. Most of my favourite conversations I've had in the Movies thread, and they came about exactly because it's a conversation about *movies* rather than about a specific movie, but the flipside is exactly what you describe.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Sorry if it's not what you wanted as an answer. For an example of why I don't like them: there's a tv thread in SE right now. It's mostly talking about Westworld, but because it exists there's no Westworld thread. People looking at the forum don't go "oh cool I like Westworld, I'm going to talk about Westworld in that thread". The conversation isn't as good as it would be in a thread about Westworld. It ends up being a super generalist thread that is convenient but has no real positive traits apart from that.

I've always wanted a general TV thread because I tend to watch a bunch of old shows that don't warrant their own threads--there's never going to be enoigh discussion on like The Shield or The Twilight Zone for that to make sense, but a generalist thread might, just like there are lots of movies that get discussed for a handful of posts in the movie thread without being able to justify their own thread. (Not arguing, just offering my perspective.)

--

I'm kinda hesitant to ask this, but... I basically started a blog out of some of the longer posts I used to make here, and now part of my activity here is "hey check out this new blog thing." Is that sort of thing reasonable behavior, obnoxious but tolerated, or something I should cease and desist?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

I've always wanted a general TV thread because I tend to watch a bunch of old shows that don't warrant their own threads--there's never going to be enoigh discussion on like The Shield or The Twilight Zone for that to make sense, but a generalist thread might, just like there are lots of movies that get discussed for a handful of posts in the movie thread without being able to justify their own thread. (Not arguing, just offering my perspective.)

--

I'm kinda hesitant to ask this, but... I basically started a blog out of some of the longer posts I used to make here, and now part of my activity here is "hey check out this new blog thing." Is that sort of thing reasonable behavior, obnoxious but tolerated, or something I should cease and desist?

On the first point, I think you'd be surprised. People may well want to still talk about The Shield or The Twilight Zone. Move that frame of reference to G&T: "nobody wants to talk about Bloodlines, surely? There should be a general games thread" and yet the Bloodlines thread has sixty odd pages. That thread never gets a shot because it just goes into the tv thread where people who may be interested will never see it.

On the second point, cease and desist. That's specifically prohibited in the rules. Put it in your sig.

• Options
    It's a gamble either way. Start a bunch of individual threads about the 5-6 series you're currently watching, and most likely only one or two of them generate more than a handful of posts, which is frustrating. On the other hand, put everything in a megathread and you'll never know if your posts about Les Revenants or Deutschland 83 could've grown into an actual thread. I tend to watch stuff months if not years after it's come out, which makes it likely that in most cases individual threads would quickly dry up.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

--

On the first point, I think you'd be surprised. People may well want to still talk about The Shield or The Twilight Zone. Move that frame of reference to G&T: "nobody wants to talk about Bloodlines, surely? There should be a general games thread" and yet the Bloodlines thread has sixty odd pages. That thread never gets a shot because it just goes into the tv thread where people who may be interested will never see it.

Well, there is a Shield thread, it's just impossible to find if you didn't happen to make it and so hasn't had a post in three years. I agree with your point in general but until a thread gets the kinda status like the Bloodlines G&T thread, people don't remember it exists after a show stops airing. I don't know what the answer would be aside from some sort of giant index thread which is more work for somebody and likely to be ignored by posters anyways.

Really the current system means if somebody cares enough they bother to make a thread and usually grabs enough bookmarks from people it sticks around.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Have you watched Justified? If not, you should watch Justified.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Edit: nevermind I thought I was in chat

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?