As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burn in Hell, Jack Chick

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I remember my parents started out fairly protective, I wasn't allowed to watch Ninja Turtles because of "Eastern mysticism" or Power Rangers because of the violence, but by the time I was about 11 or 12 I had worn them down and I watched all the Power Rangers I wanted, and they never got spooked about Pokemon.

I never did get them to let me watch Gargoyles when it was on, though. The characters looked too "demonic".

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    One time Dad got it in his head that us kids weren't being respectful enough and so he insisted we start calling him Sir and calling Mom Ma'am.

That lasted maybe a week and I never figured out why he bothered in the first place.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That's just how you amuse yourself with children though, like offering your dog a handful of Alpo then snatching your hand away at the last second and slamming the kibble into your own mouth

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I feel like banning your kids from "screens" entirely is way too socially limiting... and can even border on being a bit damaging, with how important it is to be technologically fluent nowadays (something that will only become more and more necessary as time goes on, IMO).

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The best thing is supervision but that's difficult.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I feel like banning your kids from "screens" entirely is way too socially limiting... and can even border on being a bit damaging, with how important it is to be technologically fluent nowadays (something that will only become more and more necessary as time goes on, IMO).

I didn't have a computer until I was 14. I took to it ok. Kids aren't stupid, not having an iPad at age 4 isn't crippling them socially.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    When I was a kid, my aunt bought me a pair of camo pants, but they never made it into my dresser and I never wore them because my parents didn't approve of glorifying the military.

I'm sure that if I had shown any interest in watching GI Joe at the time, they'd have probably told me no.

One time I was watching Ren and Stimpy with my mom in the room. There was a scene that grossed her out, but instead of telling me to turn it off she just fled the room while yelling about how gross it was.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I didn't have a computer until I was 14. I took to it ok. Kids aren't stupid, not having an iPad at age 4 isn't crippling them socially.

I agree that a four year old doesn't need an iPad, but saying "I didn't have a computer until I was 14" is kind of like my grandfather saying "I didn't have to go to college to get a decent job." The world's different enough from then to now and the statement just doesn't take that into account.

• Options
    edited October 2016

Oh yeah, I mean, your statement is hyperbolic compared to what I was referring to. Obviously not having an iPad at age 4 isn't going to be detrimental. But not allowing your kids to see any TV or movies, any computer or internet, any smartphone, or any tablet while they're under the age of 18? I think that's a huge problem. Moreso with computers and internet use than anything, because that's the only technological fluency that I believe is becoming more and more necessary.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Oh yeah, I mean, your statement is hyperbolic compared to what I was referring to. Obviously not having an iPad at age 4 isn't going to be detrimental. But not allowing your kids to see any TV or movies, any computer or internet, any smartphone, or any tablet while they're under the age of 18? I think that's a huge problem. Moreso with computers and internet use than anything, because that's the only technological fluency that I believe is becoming more and more necessary.

I mean

no one was suggesting a complete ban on screens until age 18

I don't think that's very practical

• Options
    edited October 2016

I mean

no one was suggesting a complete ban on screens until age 18

I don't think that's very practical

I guess when people refer to "their kids" it's not really clear what age group they're referring to. Screen bans on very young children (like under 8 years old) is something entirely different than screen bans for kids older than 14.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I remember my parents started out fairly protective, I wasn't allowed to watch Ninja Turtles because of "Eastern mysticism" or Power Rangers because of the violence, but by the time I was about 11 or 12 I had worn them down and I watched all the Power Rangers I wanted, and they never got spooked about Pokemon.

I never did get them to let me watch Gargoyles when it was on, though. The characters looked too "demonic".

Pfft, honestly.

Gargoyles is as high culture as children's entertainment is ever going to get.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i'm just gonna plug my kids into vr and let that teach them the shit they need to know

• Options
    I can remember my mother not wanting me to watch anything involving horror, nudity or sex when I was young....but secretly my dad would let me watch Poltergeist (ended up being one of my favorite movies at like, 7 or 8 years old) and Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

My mom once paused Fantasia when a friend of mine and I were watching it (when we were both roughly 7 years old) during the mountain king/demonic animation, making sure to pause the VHS right at the moment where some drawn harpy breasts flash by the screen. She started yelling about how "the person who drew this HATES WOMEN" and I remember just being extremely embarrassed and mortified, especially since my friend was there with me.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I remember my mom rented a scary movie for us to watch and it ended up being the Kate Beckinsale nudie ghost movie and at some point she just gave up on telling me to cover my eyes during the dirty bits.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Venture Bros style Learning Beds

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The best thing is supervision but that's difficult.

In some cases it's impossible. No parent can possibly supervise what's going on in the kid's smartphone 24/7. Being able to make private phone calls with your friends is a really valuable thing to be able to do, as well.

Really I think that there's so much on the internet that it's important for parents to be able to have real conversations about what's on the internet with their kids as easily . It might just range from whatever the current silly fad is on twitter or youtube, but it can also hit on what they find speaks to them personally and why.
    I can remember my mother not wanting me to watch anything involving horror, nudity or sex when I was young....but secretly my dad would let me watch Poltergeist (ended up being one of my favorite movies at like, 7 or 8 years old) and Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

My mom once paused Fantasia when a friend of mine and I were watching it (when we were both roughly 7 years old) during the mountain king/demonic animation, making sure to pause the VHS right at the moment where some drawn harpy breasts flash by the screen. She started yelling about how "the person who drew this HATES WOMEN" and I remember just being extremely embarrassed and mortified, especially since my friend was there with me.

My memory of the Night on Bald Mountain sequence in Fantasia is that I was TERRIFIED, and this is coming from experiencing it in a theatre, not on a TV set. And yet at the end the demon retreats back into hiding at the coming of the dawn and a procession of pilgrims/nuns, and that was incredibly reassuring to me at the time; that there was some great and humble force of goodness that could make the mightiest depiction of a fantastic evil that I had ever seen in my life go back into hiding.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Hopefully what supervision is done is enough to give the kids the info they need to handle themselves on their own. What kind of sites are sketchy, what downloads are safe, dick pics are never a good idea etc.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I probably let Anya watch too much TV, to be honest. But we're working on that

It's real hard to not just plop your kid in front of something to entertain them, though! Especially when them being occupied means you can get chores and stuff done.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Make her do the chores and then you get to watch T.V.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    one time I was visiting with a buddy of mine and got to meet his four year old son, who was playing with his iPad. I said hi to the little dude, and he wanted to take a picture of me. Apparently this is just a thing he does, he takes a picture of people he meets.

So I smiled, and he took a picture, and then he was like "ok" with a tone that meant hang on a sec, looked at it for a second, furrowed his little brow, and then said "no, lightings bad, another" and he wanted me to move a bit and he moved and we did another picture, which he then approved and showed me. It wasn't bad!

this kid is four and he knows not only how to take a photo, but has a basic sense of composition, and lighting. That wasn't a skill I gained until high school.

Now, objectively, is this something he needs to have? No. Is he "harmed" in some way by not having this technology or not being able to gain this skill at that level that early? Naw, I don't think so. But by allowing him to develop that level of familiarity, fluency, and ease of use with that kind of technology (and art!) at that early an age, do I think he ultimately benefits? Yes absolutely.

I try not to get on people's cases about how to raise they kids. As someone who surgically opted out of reproduction, it gets a little weird for me to be super-preachy on how people oughta do this or that with their children. That said? I think there should always be a healthy balance with all activities your kids engage in. Art, science, sports, literature, exercise, everything. I think that's the best ideal to shoot for, as a parent.

If you make wholesale bans on this or that, like I see some parents go "I'm not getting my kid an iPad, no electronics for them until they're this arbitrary age benchmark" I feel like they're doing their kid a disservice. Control their usage, limit their time with it, sure. But outright bans? I feel like you're not doing right by your kid.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    My sister went from "no screens until the first grade" to "thank god for netflix" before her oldest was 3. This has been everything i know about raising a child.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    i'm just gonna plug my kids into vr and let that teach them the shit they need to know

How are you going to deal with them once they know kung fu though

• Options
    "No screens" seems like such a weird, arbitrary, and misinformed ruling. It seems like some kind of vestigial rule-making someone inherits from their Boomer parents, like seeing the TV as the idiotbox.

I think you need to be super careful as a parent as soon as your kid gets access to something online, like an ipad with internet access or something. A friend of mine (might've been Moriveth, actually) said their kid was really into watching Youtube videos of other kids opening Kinder eggs and assembling the toys. Which sounds adorable! ...and then I think of the idea of a young child on Youtube and my blood runs cold.

• Options
    Oh, that reminds me, I need to try and get a vasectomy next year

I love my kids but I don't think Rachel or I could manage more than two

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    My brother and I weren't allowed to watch Beavis and Butthead or the Simpsons because it starred stupid, disrespectful people who swore. Kind of amazing to think about since Bart or Homer would get off one "damn" or "ass" per episode.

Still pretty risqué for 1992 or whenever.

The only attempt to 'ban' me from anything later on was my parents telling me I was forbidden from purchasing any more video games after I turned 16, as they were for baby children and if I continued to play with them it would result in me failing out of school… or something.

I took $400 of my own money out of the bank a few months later to purchase a PS2 and GTAIII, as it was the most amazing game I had thus-far experienced. I confessed to my parents weeks later when they failed to notice the difference between the 4-year-old, gray PS1 and the sleek, new, black PS2 under my TV.

They shrugged, said it was my money and life moved on.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I will say that having Netflix and the like has certainly broadened the number of children's shows that I know are good and not good.

Related note: Hey Duggee has one damn catchy intro track

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

tbh I think two is the fair opt-out number for anyone.

I've heard a lot of stories of doctors refusing vasectomies based on a dude's age, marital status, or number of children, but I think if you're a married man with two kids you should be able to make a good case. If not, then dude find a new doctor because that guy's an asshat.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It didn't because Mormons apparently secretly worship Baal and that sounds pretty fucking hardcore

spoilers: every non-Evangelical religion is secretly Baal worship

And why not? Baal is the Lord of the Rain, the Skies and the Storm, the patron of the fishermen, bringer of fertility and ruler of the Gods. He slew the snake monsters of the ocean! Show some respect!

So what you are saying is he's Baaler

Snake Culler

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah and one time my parents bought me The Meaning of Life for Christmas, but then never gave it to me because it was 'blasphemous'

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    That's just how you amuse yourself with children though, like offering your dog a handful of Alpo then snatching your hand away at the last second and slamming the kibble into your own mouth

Wait, what?

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod

I got three words for you, my dude.

D - I - Y

Doctors are a fuckin' scam anyway, everybody knows that.

8406wWN.png
  • Options

D - I - Y

so I just take some hobby clippers and just go to town, right?

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    yeah man

or some good little fabric scissors, just get up in there and bing bang boom, you're on a one way trip out of Babytown USA

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

Wait, what?

The dogs disappointment is amusing to me you see

• Options
    Note: It probably shouldn't make a big, bang or boom sound.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    But for real, yeah, Rachel and I both agree that 2 kids is enough, and from what I understand a vasectomy is a bit less invasive than her tubes being tied, so whatevs.

• Options
    I hear if you stick the catch on a microwave door open, set the microwave on high and dangle your balls in front of it for thirty seconds you'll be shooting blanks permanently, doesn't even hurt

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

D - I - Y

nip 'em in the bud

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    But for real, yeah, Rachel and I both agree that 2 kids is enough, and from what I understand a vasectomy is a bit less invasive than her tubes being tied, so whatevs.

A bit being fairly large, yeah

ikbUJdU.jpg