As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Winter Rift is Coming

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    SR is league of legends. That's the thing. I can get playing silly modes for a break like ARAM, but when people are like yeah man all I play is doom bots or whatever and not as a side thing but just as the only thing, I find that pretty weird. I mean I don't care what people like to play, it just seems odd to me. It'd be like if somebody told me they bought Uncharted 4 but only to play the multiplayer, they weren't going to play through the story.

What if someone bought Warcraft 3 to play DOTA

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    You guys Janna is so good right now. She's so good.

EDIT: I will admit to a bit of meta playing. I did complain whenever I died in /all that my stacks were going down. Zed took it as a personal incentive to kill me. It.... didn't work out great for him after that.

Khavall on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely just going to ride the Vayne train this season. I haven't been having this much fun playing ADC in a long time. I know she's going to get some nerfs, but as long as they don't gut her so badly that I can't even lane at all, I won't stop.

It's about the same story every game. Go even/slightly behind in lane, but concentrate on farming. Make sure i'm hitting my 2 item spike before the game has been decided one way or another, and then go off when team fights actually start happening.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular

SR is league of legends. That's the thing. I can get playing silly modes for a break like ARAM, but when people are like yeah man all I play is doom bots or whatever and not as a side thing but just as the only thing, I find that pretty weird. I mean I don't care what people like to play, it just seems odd to me. It'd be like if somebody told me they bought Uncharted 4 but only to play the multiplayer, they weren't going to play through the story.

no, SR is DOTA.

If you want to play a silly mode of DOTA, play SR.

If you want to play League of Legends, play Hexakill.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Who is my choice to pick into a really assassin-heavy comp where I think I might just get instagibbed as a mage support?

I think of lulu as the quintessential anti assassin (so she's fun to play right now because you just get to tell the assassins nope)

it seems like you're mostly into the poke/aggressive supports, so maybe build on that and branch a bit to supports that provide additional utility with their poke?

karma's already a good example of that, obvi, but others you might consider (not as anti assassins but as supports who provide poke+) are sona (a poke support who also provides sustain and dis/engage with her ult), or nami (feels to me like she does what sona does, but better, right now)

• Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Dragon's Descent now does less damage, travels shorter distance, gains health instead of resistance when in Dragon Form, but is now uninterruptible.

noooo

flaying a shyv out of her ult is the best thing

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Who is my choice to pick into a really assassin-heavy comp where I think I might just get instagibbed as a mage support?

I think of lulu as the quintessential anti assassin (so she's fun to play right now because you just get to tell the assassins nope)

it seems like you're mostly into the poke/aggressive supports, so maybe build on that and branch a bit to supports that provide additional utility with their poke?

karma's already a good example of that, obvi, but others you might consider (not as anti assassins but as supports who provide poke+) are sona (a poke support who also provides sustain and dis/engage with her ult), or nami (feels to me like she does what sona does, but better, right now)

Sona has better damage output I think, especially her Q chords.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    redemption feels redonk strong in teamfights

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular

I build it on ascension and it's just the best. Knights vow is also amazing.

The new utility mastery that shields you for hard CC'ing is great on Sej. Get it with Q and still get out. Or land a huge ult and be able to facetank everything once they get out.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »

I build it on ascension and it's just the best. Knights vow is also amazing.

The new utility mastery that shields you for hard CC'ing is great on Sej. Get it with Q and still get out. Or land a huge ult and be able to facetank everything once they get out.

add me, im munifcent on league

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Sona is someone I don't need to practice in preseason though, already feel very comfortable playing her and played her tons ranked last season. Kinda iffy on playing her into a bunch of assassins though. Depends on who else is in the game. I do not consider her a protective support, really. Certainly not someone who actually provides disengage in any meaningful way--not how I play her, anway.

Nami is out of the question because I am simply not good at her even though I always think I'm good at her and then just miss every bubble and contribute nothing.

Lulu is *so* weak right now! But I've done ok with her occasionally in normals. I wouldn't play her ranked.

Oh yeah, I wanted to become good at Bard so I could pick him to disrupt Jhin ults (and yes I know Nami serves that specific function but...)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I learned today that jumping over a Ziggs' mines as Tristana still sets them off and does a billion damage to you. DAMMIT RIOT I WAS FLYING IN THE AIR OVER THE MINES THIS IS BULLSHIT.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Champions that fly splash while pathing through the river.

butts
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    God I fucking hate toxic players. They ruin the game more than anything else. I mean seriously. Fuck flamers going at you because hey you got camped and you are 0/3. Game is fine. The people are shit.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Haha I learned that Tristana lesson when I was playing Vi and accidentally ahem via calculations Vi Q'ed to cut her off and knocked her right out of the air. I think they should fix/change it so she's actually airborne.

Hiryu, mute early, mute often! :) It is horrible though, I agree.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Like, I try to usually not assume the worst immediately, but the issue is I get drawn into an argument, and I eventually mute, but by that time I'm already tilted.

Spammed a lot of games today. Two out of two for tank Karma, but 1/3 on Nasus, including the tilt game. I also feel like I need to add more AD to my Quasus runes, he uses AS reds, but I feel like my last hits, which are already bad, could use a bit more AD behind them to I can stop Qing and leaving the minion at a sliver.

Tank Karma seems really fun, but goddamn if I suck at remembering to use R. I've started trying to get used to self-cast E on a side mouse button, and also R on mousewheel press for Karma specifically. My KBAM dexterity is so ass though, I feel like I'm constantly hunting still for keys, esp number keys for actives.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Sona is someone I don't need to practice in preseason though, already feel very comfortable playing her and played her tons ranked last season. Kinda iffy on playing her into a bunch of assassins though. Depends on who else is in the game. I do not consider her a protective support, really. Certainly not someone who actually provides disengage in any meaningful way--not how I play her, anway.

Nami is out of the question because I am simply not good at her even though I always think I'm good at her and then just miss every bubble and contribute nothing.

Lulu is *so* weak right now! But I've done ok with her occasionally in normals. I wouldn't play her ranked.

Oh yeah, I wanted to become good at Bard so I could pick him to disrupt Jhin ults (and yes I know Nami serves that specific function but...)

The secret of nami is that you don't really need to be hitting many bubbles to wreck. Everything else about her is just so useful that the bubbles are just a bonus. Heck any decently skilled opponent will walk out of a bubble in plenty of time unless they're slowed. But it doesn't matter because q & w mean your adc SHOULD be the bigger factor in almost any fight.

The fall of Lulu makes me so very sad. She's just incredibly fun and versatile. I also bring her out in normals but TBH she might even find a place in ranked for me since she's a great win-more helper for the hard carry adcs who are all the rage currently.

CesareB on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Haha I learned that Tristana lesson when I was playing Vi and accidentally ahem via calculations Vi Q'ed to cut her off and knocked her right out of the air. I think they should fix/change it so she's actually airborne.

The way League is coded, I wouldn't be surprised if that change made her vulnerable to Yasuo's ult.

(One time I tried to jump over a spinning Rammus. It didn't end well.)

e: double posting, what I've learned today is how powerful the level 2 advantage can be. Mostly because it resulted in the cleanest first blood of my entire LoL career, but still.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Tristana's jump is dash, just like graves' E or Kha'zix E. You cannot go over ANYTHING other than terrain.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Tristana's jump is dash, just like graves' E or Kha'zix E. You cannot go over ANYTHING other than terrain.

Yeah. League doesn't have a distinct Z axis so anything that goes up can still be hit in a straight line.

There's at least one exception. I know the ramp leading from chickens into the river has some actual height differences between the ground and the river. But that's more due to the camera perspective than any axis issues.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I've been doing a lot of adc because (1) Jhin is free and man are his animations and sounds satisfying and (2) my wife started playing again and only plays support so it's nice to play together so directly. But while games where I can get into midgame are pretty fun, those where we're doing okay or even winning lane but the other 3 teammates feed like crazy feel so bad. When top mid and jungle are all at 3-5 kills before laning phase ends it's like Hey you did great - but it doesn't really matter, sorry!.

We just got out of a game where I was happy with my performance given that Caitlyn/Soraka was pushing me in (as Jhin with Sona) - she was mostly letting me freeze outside the turret and I was outfarming her and doing 8 cs/min which is stellar for me, so I didn't see a reason to try to shove back. I figured I'm getting my gold and they're vulnerable. But our mid and top were losing hard and even though Cait & Raka were very overextened the entire time our jungler would not come bot. (I even tried the ol' "Hey Xin they're asking for it, free kills bot!"). He just kept going to top and mid (until 14 minutes, when hey imagine that we got a kill, very nearly 2). So I was getting gold and my turret was healthy but the rest of the map was going to shambles. When their fed Nasus had taken top mid and dragon he came bot with Zzrot and we had to concede the turret anyway. Zed had 5 kills at 15 minutes and it felt like the game had spiraled out of control before I'd had a chance to participate.

I guess "letting" Caitlyn keep me mostly shoved on turret contributed in the sense that we often had no pressure bot side and let the top half of the map snowball. So maybe I should have shoved back more.

Aside from that, should I be playing differently when the other lanes are losing, e.g. we as duo swapping top with the losing player, or giving up some farm etc to try to roam and help or something?
    Would learning one of the mobile harder-carry supports, like Ezreal, Vayne, (Twitch?) help this much?
    Or is it just a combination of you can't win em all and preseason 7 adc life?

(I know of course there is "get gud", because if I can stomp lane I can influence the map, but aside from that)

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    I've personally just not felt impactful in toplane recently. I've been working on Nasus to varying degrees but he's just not giving me what I want as far as just desired feedback. I don't know who to play really right now. Might go back to Poppy or Irelia until I feel back up to par.

Like maybe go back to Maokai or continue practicing tank Karma. Just urrrgh, I don't know how to play my roles any more I feel like. Also had a larger frequency than usual of just unpleasant folks on my team. If not that, flamers. Had one game where the botlane both afk'd after like ten minutes. Then one game where the Lucian/Soraka botlane lost hard to Renek/Mumu botlane. I'm just like what?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Marth wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Yeah. League doesn't have a distinct Z axis so anything that goes up can still be hit in a straight line.

There's at least one exception. I know the ramp leading from chickens into the river has some actual height differences between the ground and the river. But that's more due to the camera perspective than any axis issues.

Ziggs is an exception. He can hop over effects as well as things on the ground

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Then one game where the Lucian/Soraka botlane lost hard to Renek/Mumu botlane. I'm just like what?

Double stun vs soraka who has no peel or CC. Super easy to get kills on her.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    I don't remember Ziggs being able to jump over anything but his Q can go over hitboxes.

butts
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Then one game where the Lucian/Soraka botlane lost hard to Renek/Mumu botlane. I'm just like what?

Yeah that's probably not the MOST brutal version of a kill lane but it doesn't seem like the kind of place that would be very friendly for Soraka. Sure if you can get past laning Lucian should scale way better but that's a BIG if. Most bot laners haven't probably faced anything like that before (I've come up against a kill lane maybe 2 or 3 times despite maining support for like 3 years).

• Options
    People are often surprised at how hard it is for a meta adc/support (especially depending on the support) lane to go against weird lanes. Like Amumu/Renekton is not a lane you think you'd see, but they both have stuns, and Renekton has Fighter scaling so he's going to beat an ADC in fights every time if they can't stay away from him, which is tough if your support is like Soraka who can't CC him.

• Options
    Solo queue is back baby. Farewell flex queue, I sincerely hope nobody besides premades plays you any more and you get turned back into ranked 5s like you deserve.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I had two games this weekend where I absolutely dominated as Vel'Koz (went 15-5-12 and 12-3-11) one as midlane, one as support. Then I got into a pair of super toxic groups where I supported a miserable Twisted Fate ADC, and another with a Jhin where we did well, but our Garen top lane died 5-7 times to a Teemo in the first 6 or 7 minutes.

How long does it take before matchmaker starts weeding that out? Or is it one of those things I have to get used to happening from time to time until ranked play

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Soraka does have CC in her kit, though. She's still an easy kill if she got too aggressive against them.

• Options
    Koreg wrote: »
    I had two games this weekend where I absolutely dominated as Vel'Koz (went 15-5-12 and 12-3-11) one as midlane, one as support. Then I got into a pair of super toxic groups where I supported a miserable Twisted Fate ADC, and another with a Jhin where we did well, but our Garen top lane died 5-7 times to a Teemo in the first 6 or 7 minutes.

How long does it take before matchmaker starts weeding that out? Or is it one of those things I have to get used to happening from time to time until ranked play

What you're describing is a thing that will happen forever, even in ranked, no matter what elo you reach. You will have games where one lane feeds and the champ they're feeding wins the game because of it. Just remember that the opposing team felt the same way about their mid/bot feeding you as Vel'koz in those games you mention.

The toxicity stuff is hit or miss, but never goes away either. Muting people is your friend so you can just pretend they're not talking and try to win.

• Options
    Also, this Unicorns of Love manager's antics are just too funny:

https://gfycat.com/AncientInfamousAllosaurus

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Koreg wrote: »

What you're describing is a thing that will happen forever, even in ranked, no matter what elo you reach. You will have games where one lane feeds and the champ they're feeding wins the game because of it. Just remember that the opposing team felt the same way about their mid/bot feeding you as Vel'koz in those games you mention.

The toxicity stuff is hit or miss, but never goes away either. Muting people is your friend so you can just pretend they're not talking and try to win.

I seriously wish flaming didn't bother me. And on an intellectual level, it doesn't. I know that these people are here with me because they are the same or worse MMR than me. I know the need for mental fortitude and that most players who flame will do it no matter what. But nope, it still bothers me even now. I should be much more quick to mute than I usually am.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    I just got to the point where I realized that as soon as someone demonstrated that they were just being a dick, I needed to mute them. I'm the type of person who will try to reason with them, but it's a waste of time. Instead of typing to them or letting myself get tilted, I just mute them and try even harder to win. It makes for a much less frustrating experience.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    So, kind of strategy question here, if I'm playing a supportive or tanky toplaner, who doesn't push super hard, like say tank Karma or Poppy, should I start grouping even before my enemy or my own tower is down? My default behavior is to push down my enemy tower first before I start grouping, however, not everyone can push in a wave like E max Nasus. Or take towers as fast. So, when should I start grouping with my team before either top tower is down?

I also tend to return to my tower to prevent it from being taken as much as possible, even after laning phase, as I don't want to lose towers "for free". Is this a smart thing to do in general? Like I will clear the wave, then start a slow push at river, then rejoin team.

Also I am considering really working on tank Karma, she feels interesting to play and I like the uptime on her shields. The issue is that I am terribad at hitting buttons in order quickly, and I have started trying to move some selfcasts like E and R for her onto my mouse, but that takes a while too to get used to. I need to be shielding a ton more, it feels like.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    You should only be roaming and grouping when you have pressure to do so. You can't group while the wave is being pushed to your tower, or you lose the tower. You can group mid tfor instance to roam and make a play if you have them pushed in. If you can't push them in, you gotta call for jungle support, or kill them so you can GET pressure.

Karma/Poppy have enough base damage to clear waves luckily.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    So, kind of strategy question here, if I'm playing a supportive or tanky toplaner, who doesn't push super hard, like say tank Karma or Poppy, should I start grouping even before my enemy or my own tower is down? My default behavior is to push down my enemy tower first before I start grouping, however, not everyone can push in a wave like E max Nasus. Or take towers as fast. So, when should I start grouping with my team before either top tower is down?

I also tend to return to my tower to prevent it from being taken as much as possible, even after laning phase, as I don't want to lose towers "for free". Is this a smart thing to do in general? Like I will clear the wave, then start a slow push at river, then rejoin team.

Also I am considering really working on tank Karma, she feels interesting to play and I like the uptime on her shields. The issue is that I am terribad at hitting buttons in order quickly, and I have started trying to move some selfcasts like E and R for her onto my mouse, but that takes a while too to get used to. I need to be shielding a ton more, it feels like.

I have tiny hands and am not the fastest/most accurate at button-mashing, but when I play Karma I use alt+E for self-cast and it works fine for me. Actually, I use it so much (both on Karma and Janna) that sometimes I will instinctively self-cast when I definitely should have been shielding someone else. I am confident that if I can master the alt+E and R+Q and even mush my activateable item on 5 because I got too many actives, you can as well.

Just keep playing as her and I bet you will get used to it. Just always glance down at your skills and see if R is off cooldown--you should be super excited to use your R+Q, so checking for it should come pretty naturally.
    Oh, or for tank Karma maybe you'd do R+W more? Regardless, it's an exciting thing that I'm always looking forward to and checking for when I play her support or mid.

I can't speak to the toplane strategy stuff. I think sometimes it is worth getting a major 5v4 victory but losing tower, and sometimes leaving just means you lose tower for free. But sometimes it's not even quite a teamfight and their top is sorta slowly pushing top and maybe you should go defend but maybe you'd be more useful elsewhere and yeah hard to say.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Hey we were talking before about high elo women streamers. Saw this one mentioned on reddit the other day while discussing the same thing. She's challenger on EUNE, a Latvian who speaks very good english. From the small amount I've checked out the stream, she has a very nice personality. Plays mid/top/support and uses voice but no facecam.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    New champion has been revealed: Camille the steel shadow.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/champion-reveal-camille-steel-shadow

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    She has a shield that gains in strength based on her max HP, an AOE stun on a normal ability and a teamfight winning ult...

Who wants to play "Guess the next assassin that's going to be built as a tank"?