Options

[Pokemon] SE++ League in planning, yo! Page 95 or OP, yo!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDNzyytIw24

Take your favorite fighty fiction character

If they were a pokemon, what sort would they be? No need to use existent species

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    if we're looking to construct a ban list, the death of every league we've ever had, i suggest we start at the battle tree ban list and talk from there.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I could be wrong about this but I think the way smogon thinks about legal movesets is "is it physically possible to have a pokemon know these moves together from any real event distributions combined with transferring through different generations and using move tutors and etc.", handwaving away concerns about resetting for nature or perfect IVs because they mostly compete in simulators so what do they care about that.

So if non-alolan pikachu transfered from the bank can evolve into a-raichu, surf would be a legal move on it because past event distributed pikachus can legally know surf. On smogon and in nintendo formats that don't otherwise ban pokemon not originating from a gen 7 game, which the next official championship league thing I think does.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Dont be a dick seems like a good start to team comps

A lit of the big issues wont be around till january anyways

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    using pokemon that beat mine is being a dick FYI

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I'm excited to see how VGC 17 will look

The only legendaries will be the Tapus and the UBs, and megas aren't allowed

Will be refreshing after the Mega/Ubers fuckfest of this year's VGC

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    I could be wrong about this but I think the way smogon thinks about legal movesets is "is it physically possible to have a pokemon know these moves together from any real event distributions combined with transferring through different generations and using move tutors and etc.", handwaving away concerns about resetting for nature or perfect IVs because they mostly compete in simulators so what do they care about that.

So if non-alolan pikachu transfered from the bank can evolve into a-raichu, surf would be a legal move on it because past event distributed pikachus can legally know surf. On smogon and in nintendo formats that don't otherwise ban pokemon not originating from a gen 7 game, which the next official championship league thing I think does.

I would be willing to bet money that Pikachu from other regions can't evolve into Alolan Raichu

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Melding wrote: »
    if we're looking to construct a ban list, the death of every league we've ever had, i suggest we start at the battle tree ban list and talk from there.
    A specific ban list seems silly when already have two. Just go with Nintendo or Smogon.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    smogon is like 5-10 different ban lists

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

If they were a pokemon, what sort would they be? No need to use existent species

Harry Dresden would, depending on the book, be Flying/Fire, Psychic/Fire, or perhaps Ice/Fairy.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Harry Dresden would, depending on the book, be Flying/Fire, Psychic/Fire, or perhaps Ice/Fairy.

That is a very wide variety

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    I want to put together an interesting competitive team. But I ALSO want to put together a team that's nothing but dog Pokemon and call it "The Good Boys". We'll see if I have time for both.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    What are the useful natures, I'm breeding Abras for Sychronize and I don't really want to breed 20+ if I can help it

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

I would be willing to bet money that Pikachu from other regions can't evolve into Alolan Raichu

On the one hand, Serebii says that mons who originate from previous generations will evolve into their Alolan form if evolved in SUMO.

Oh the other hand, who the fuck really knows for sure until January?

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Here is my purposed ban list starting point. I think we can agree to most of this.
    1. Mewtwo
    2. Mew
    3. Lugia
    4. Ho-Oh
    5. Celebi
    6. Kyogre
    7. Groudon
    8. Rayquaza
    9. Jirachi
    10. Deoxys
    11. Dialga
    12. Palkia
    13. Giratina
    14. Phione
    15. Manaphy
    16. Darkrai
    17. Shaymin
    18. Arceus
    19. Victini
    20. Reshiram
    21. Zekrom
    22. Kyurem
    23. Keldeo
    24. Meloetta
    25. Genesect
    26. Xerneas
    27. Yveltal
    28. Zygarde
    29. Diancie
    30. Hoopa
    31. Volcanion
    32. Cosmog
    33. Cosmoem
    34. Solgaleo
    35. Lunala
    36. Necrozma
    37. Magearna
    38. Marshadow

• Options
    What are the useful natures, I'm breeding Abras for Sychronize and I don't really want to breed 20+ if I can help it

Timid, Adamant, Jolly and Modest cover most attackers

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Whats the point of banning cosmog

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Whats the point of banning cosmog

to kill joy.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

i read this as the genre, fighty fiction, and got confused

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I guess I kind of see what @Beasteh is saying though, and combined with your point @Bobkins Flymo - is that it all kind of walks a weird balance between "spot banning specific pokemon," and "arbitrary pokemon bans"

Like, Aegislash is better than most legendaries. Hell, even Volcarona is better than a lot of legendaries, despite the 4x Stealth Rock Weakness.

I think we are getting to the point where there are so many pokemon that either you have a weird ban list or make smogon's weird tiers....it just feels like they aren't really "natural" or obvious what those tiers are.

And sometimes a pokemon will move up a tier or down a tier and I guess that's part of the balancing game and i've quite lost my point a bit since im trying to think about this in between experiments

I just don't like Smogon's tiers, and I definitely get sad when I look at the Nintendo Tournament teams and like 90% of the teams are almost literally identical and it just feels weird.

Smogon's the best we got, but it's far from my ideal scenario, even if I don't know what that is

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    I've only messed with the prebank OU stuff on showdown, cause fuck dealing with nonsense like Genesect and Aegislash.

It's a pretty fun format since so much stuff is locked behind ORAS move tutors and no one has any idea what what they're doing.

It's that defined by what's in the Aloladex rather than what's available in-game? 'Cause you can get Honest from island scan.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

solid snake: dark/fighting

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Here is my purposed ban list starting point. I think we can agree to most of this.
    1. Mewtwo
    2. Mew
    3. Lugia
    4. Ho-Oh
    5. Celebi
    6. Kyogre
    7. Groudon
    8. Rayquaza
    9. Jirachi
    10. Deoxys
    11. Dialga
    12. Palkia
    13. Giratina
    14. Phione
    15. Manaphy
    16. Darkrai
    17. Shaymin
    18. Arceus
    19. Victini
    20. Reshiram
    21. Zekrom
    22. Kyurem
    23. Keldeo
    24. Meloetta
    25. Genesect
    26. Xerneas
    27. Yveltal
    28. Zygarde
    29. Diancie
    30. Hoopa
    31. Volcanion
    32. Cosmog
    33. Cosmoem
    34. Solgaleo
    35. Lunala
    36. Necrozma
    37. Magearna
    38. Marshadow

That's basically Nintendo's ban list with Gen VII added, correct?

Here's Nintendo's official ban list from last gen's Flash Clash:
    Players may use Pokémon with National Pokédex number 1 through 720, with the exception of the following: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, and Hoopa.

Seems like a decent enough list

Turambar on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

aka the best type

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    there is no practical reason not to hack your competitive team's IVs, there's no actual way to tell the difference between a hacked perfect stat pokemon and one you just got lucky with or bred.

There's a line of accuracy where a fake just starts being the real thing.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    there is no practical reason not to hack your competitive team's IVs, there's no actual way to tell the difference between a hacked perfect stat pokemon and one you just got lucky with or bred.

There's a line of accuracy where a fake just starts being the real thing.

Also known as- What I hope becomes of my Academic Career

• Options
    The thing with Smogon is they do have their own metagame within the community. A build i suggested and is popular because it counters or compliments another popular build. without that the tiers kind of break down a bit. there is also the whole thing of tiers being based on use and not actually power, which is why a lot of strong fire types don't get play because stealth rocks is popular in smogon which greatly reduces fire types. In a metagame with less stealth rocks fire is a lot more viable.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I still haven't seen a single Mimikyu in this megamart
    I'm going mad

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The thing with Smogon is they do have their own metagame within the community. A build i suggested and is popular because it counters or compliments another popular build. without that the tiers kind of break down a bit. there is also the whole thing of tiers being based on use and not actually power, which is why a lot of strong fire types don't get play because stealth rocks is popular in smogon which greatly reduces fire types. In a metagame with less stealth rocks fire is a lot more viable.

yeah but stealth rock is popular because it's an excellent move

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Is Smogon the No Mutants Allowed of Pokemon?

• Options

that depends on how you define "excellent"

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

aka the best type

big boss: ghost/fighting

liquid snake: dark

solidus snake: fighting/steel

raiden: fairy/steel or dark/steel depending on the game

• Options
    drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I still haven't seen a single Mimikyu in this megamart
    I'm going mad

If you decide it's not worth it anymore I've got 2 Adamant Mimikyu sitting around from when I was breeding one for a future run

a1o1MZu.jpg
    Pokemon White FC: 2623 5026 2422 SS: 2150 9795 3738 Black: 4212 6128 9776
    Black2: 1593 2528 7190 3DS:0216-0910-3881 LoL:drp527
  • Options
    Arch wrote: »

that depends on how you define "excellent"

"softens up targets, wears down stall teams, severely weakens many pokemon, breaks sturdy and focus sash" seems like it'd reach most standards of "excellent" to me

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Oh thank fuck I finally got a Rough Skin Gabite.

My long, sand filled nightmare is finally over.

I'll probably have a bunch more by tomorrow if anyone else want one, cause fuck making people do all that nonsense.

It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    why does Big Boss get Ghost
    I feel like he should be Dark and Solid should be Ghost somehow

• Options
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Is Smogon the No Mutants Allowed of Pokemon?

they're more like the Smashboards of pokemon

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

aka the best type

I feel like any typing for Raiden that doesn't include Electric is a missed opportunity.

At the least, he should have some electric moves.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

aka the best type

I feel like any typing for Raiden that doesn't include Electric is a missed opportunity.

At the least, he should have some electric moves.

three stage evo

MGS2 Raiden is fairy/steel or maybe fighting/steel

MGS4 Raiden is electric/steel

MGR Raiden is dark/steel

• Options
    Stealth rock feels a lot like Mortal Strike in World of Warcraft's arena.

My memory may be faulty, but IIRC Mortal Strike gave a debuff to heals received in the team PVP environment they made. Eventually, team comps basically became "how do we get away with spamming mortal strike at all times" to the point that Blizzard eventually went "sure, now there's just a flat reduction to healing power across the board in PVP"

Playing with stealth rock is basically just saying "sure, bug, rock, flying, and ice types all just have less HP across the board than other types, sorry."

I get like, the idea- make constant switching of pokemon an actual choice instead of a reflexive action but stealth rock, unlike the other entry hazards, doesn't have enough of a built in counter and its frustrating having to think "okay make sure you have a stealth rock setter, and an entry hazard remover, and maybe a taunt pokemon" on every team (hyperbolically)

This discussion has been closed.