Options

The TV Thread: More for Less

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    So, I just picked up the 2016 LG OLED 65" B6, and so far I love the hell out of it. Not sure on the OLED brightness comments I keep reading as this thing is brighter than the sun. Picture is gorgeous, set itself looks great, amd seems a great replacement for my 5 year old Samsung plasma of the same size. I am in a blacked out media room, which may help.

That said, I'm still within the return period, and I keep hearing about input lag. I haven't experienced any issues so far messing with Destiny, Gears, Skyrim, and a few other titles. Is it something that in a month from now I am going to be kicking myself for not returning? So far I am completely in love with this thing.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    CES17 is in a month. There's no avoiding buyer regret with a tech show right around the corner. I say enjoy your purchase and don't worry about what may be coming out.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

"A new LCD panel from Panasonic solves the black-level conundrum, resulting in a display that offers perfect blacks and high brightness and achieves a remarkable 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, the company announced today."

Posting that link may actually qualify as a form of psychological warfare against Snugglesworth.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Its says that their focus is commercial devices and doesnt give a price range so I'm curious to know whether it will actually make its way into televisions and what the cost will be.

Since it seems to make a big deal about IPS displays I'm going to assume these tvs, if they ever come out (I assume they will, because why not?), will probably have a pricey premium if the gaming IPS monitor market is anything to go by.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

"A new LCD panel from Panasonic solves the black-level conundrum, resulting in a display that offers perfect blacks and high brightness and achieves a remarkable 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, the company announced today."

Posting that link may actually qualify as a form of psychological warfare against Snugglesworth.

I mean, even if that ends up the case, it's not something that's going to happen immediately, and it certainly won't be at an affordable price.

I've made peace with my OLED and am quite satisfied. The 3D content in particular is pretty amazing (even bought Star Wars TFA on 3D when I returned the Samsung at Best Buy).

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    So, it looks like we're on track for that UE65KS8000 (or rather, it's local brother, UE65KS8080), ideally for Friday next week.

Tangential question: in general, do people use Netflix via their TV app or do they use other Netflix apps (e.g. on PS4)? Is there generally a difference, other than the controls?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    The built in Netflix app on the KS8000 can stream 4k and HDR, most devices don't support that.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    I'm also getting myself a PS4 Pro, and I'd hope that one does 4k/HDR. (I'm pretty much going overboard with presents to myself this Christmas...)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    I normally used Netflix and Amazon Prime through our PS4. But we just set up a new KS8000 last weekend, and have been using the built in apps on the TV now. It saves us from having to turn the PS4 on, and the 4K/HDR streaming looks absolutely amazing. Searching is a little slower with the TV remote though.

Here's a really odd one I need to ask about though. Picture quality on streaming is phenomenal. But our cable, through Comcast, looks like ass. Using only HD channels, and with the box set to display 1080p60, most of the time the picture quality is closer to SD than HD. It occasionally looks like it should, but ends up dropping back down in quality shortly.

Our picture quality was just fine with the same box hooked up to our old TV. Nothing has changed whatsoever, except the TV that the HDMI cable plugs into. I've tried multiple HDMI ports just in case, as well.

Further complicating/bizarre: shows recorded on our DVR display in perfect HD.

We've been planning to ditch Comcast before the end of the month, so I'm hoping to avoid dealing with their phone support in the meantime. Any ideas?

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I normally used Netflix and Amazon Prime through our PS4. But we just set up a new KS8000 last weekend, and have been using the built in apps on the TV now. It saves us from having to turn the PS4 on, and the 4K/HDR streaming looks absolutely amazing. Searching is a little slower with the TV remote though.

Here's a really odd one I need to ask about though. Picture quality on streaming is phenomenal. But our cable, through Comcast, looks like ass. Using only HD channels, and with the box set to display 1080p60, most of the time the picture quality is closer to SD than HD. It occasionally looks like it should, but ends up dropping back down in quality shortly.

Our picture quality was just fine with the same box hooked up to our old TV. Nothing has changed whatsoever, except the TV that the HDMI cable plugs into. I've tried multiple HDMI ports just in case, as well.

We've been planning to ditch Comcast before the end of the month, so I'm hoping to avoid dealing with their phone support in the meantime. Any ideas?

Cable TV is typically 720p @ 10-12Mb MPEG-2, while Netflix's "4K" top quality is 18Mb MPEG-4 (very roughly equivalent to 36Mb MPEG-2) plus HDR10. It looks way better because it is.

4K blu-rays are (from what I can find) typically ~40Mb HEVC (again, very roughly 80Mb MPEG-4 or 160Mb MPEG-2), if you really want to see what your TV can do.

Edit: As far as the DVR, IIRC the lastest vintage of X1 gear sometimes doesn't record locally and instead just streams the on-demand version, which will usually be encoded better than the broadcast version.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

Cable TV is typically 720p @ 10-12Mb MPEG-2, while Netflix's "4K" top quality is 18Mb MPEG-4 (very roughly equivalent to 36Mb MPEG-2) plus HDR10. It looks way better because it is.

That's not at all what I'm having an issue with. Not even close.

The quality of all programming coming in through Comcast right now is severely degraded to the point that it is pretty much SD rather than HD. The level of detail you expect from basic HD just isn't there. The same box provided perfectly adequate HD when hooked up to our old television. This problem started when we moved the old tv and hooked the cable up to the KS8000. I'm not comparing it to 4K/HDR and finding it lacking, something is genuinely off.

But i know it isn't as simple as a problem with cables or the box hardware, or even my settings/calibration for that input because anything I play back from a recording on the DVR plays in the good quality HD I am used to from our cable. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

• Options
    Have you switched to an actual SD channel to compare?

• Options
    Yes. Picture quality is similar, but SD channels don't use the full screen so it's not a perfect comparison.

• Options
    One thing I was wondering: I've read a couple of times now that in general, upscaling from 1080p to 4k makes the image look softer than it would on a regular HD screen of the same size. If this is indeed the case, do current TVs at least offer modes where each HD pixel is blown up to 2x2 without any filtering, so the image isn't actually artificially changed in any way?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

That's not at all what I'm having an issue with. Not even close.

The quality of all programming coming in through Comcast right now is severely degraded to the point that it is pretty much SD rather than HD. The level of detail you expect from basic HD just isn't there. The same box provided perfectly adequate HD when hooked up to our old television. This problem started when we moved the old tv and hooked the cable up to the KS8000. I'm not comparing it to 4K/HDR and finding it lacking, something is genuinely off.

But i know it isn't as simple as a problem with cables or the box hardware, or even my settings/calibration for that input because anything I play back from a recording on the DVR plays in the good quality HD I am used to from our cable. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that Samsung might just suck at upscaling 1080i broadcast HD from your Comcast box.

Here is something I found on avsforums on the thread for your tv:
    Just a quick note about these two settings.

(The rest looked fine.)

"Digital Clean View": You should turn this OFF when viewing high-resolution/high-quality content. This setting will "soften" the picture and hide/remove fine detail in high-resolution/high-quality content.

"Film Mode": Assuming your DirecTV cable is broadcast at 1080i (which I believe it is), you should set this to one of the "Auto" settings (I use "Auto 1").

This setting optimizes the picture quality for 24fps film based content. However, it is only applicable for interlaced input signals (480i, 1080i) and might be "grayed-out" for a non-interlaced (progressive) input signal.

This setting engages a process called 'Cadence Detection and Correction' which is used when converting 24fps film based content into 30fps video for TV broadcast, and is a part of deinterlacing. Your TV needs to detect this cadence and then correctly process it so that the content is shown without any artifacts or loss in picture resolution.

Film Mode has to be turned on for 3:2 and 2:2 pull-down correction to work properly on interlaced content."

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to look into it.

"Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that Samsung might just suck at upscaling 1080i broadcast HD from your Comcast box."

It can't be that simple though. If it was, then everything on the DVR would look like shit too since that's just the same cable box/HDMI/input as the live broadcasts. But somehow recorded content usually looks like it should, and live content does not. Also the KS8000 is actually rated well for all levels of inputs, including those well below 1080i.

That said, I think the problem is just with Comcast, and some amazingly coincidental timing. I've had the "Digital Clean View" off - I knew that was no good. I also had "Film Mode" off, but went to try it just now. When I did, initially I couldn't because my cable box is set to 1080p and the option was grayed out. But while I was looking at the menu the picture started going in and out, and while that was happening the signal was dropping to 1080i (or some other level of interlaced signal) and the Film Mode would turn on.

I was planning to go sign up with AT&T by the end of the weekend anyway just to get a huge price reduction for the next couple of years compared to what we pay Comcast now, so I suspect things will be fine when their install is done.

Thirith: I don't see any options on the KS8000 along the lines of what you're asking about. But aside from my cable issues, the 1080p picture looks great. It isn't softer in any way that I can detect when I play a Blu-ray or stream in HD from Netflix or Amazon.

• Options
    Thirith: I don't see any options on the KS8000 along the lines of what you're asking about. But aside from my cable issues, the 1080p picture looks great. It isn't softer in any way that I can detect when I play a Blu-ray or stream in HD from Netflix or Amazon.
    Cool, thanks. I did expect that upscaling has progressed, both in terms of quality and speed, since the Olden Days. Looking forward to watching Planet Earth 2 on the new TV, which is scheduled to arrive in a week.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Oh wise elders of the TV thread...

My Dad bought a new 4K OLED TV last month, and after leaving it with us to use normally for a month, the Geek Squad came out with their special software and device for configuring the color / brightness / etc levels.

My Dad is somewhat freaking out, because after they configured the TV, he swears their is a pink hue to everything, and all the settings seem a little extreme for a brand new TV. The guy doing the setup also admitted that this was his first time with this particular TV. (I can get the exact settings values if that would help).

Help me put my Dads mind at ease, with either advice to reset the TV to factory / close to, or keep running the new settings and hope he becomes accustomed to it.

Thanks.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I would work under the general assumption that a Geek Squad calibration is...not great. If you get the model and settings, we can cross-reference with AVSForum and professional reviews.

• Options
    Yeah, they had a special device that would rest on the TV screen and plugged into a laptop, which was running some software that I assume was to read the current settings and suggest how to calibrate it.

I was thinking it should be idiot proof, especially since this guy said they had to fly him somewhere to take a course on how to do this.

But since this is a newer model TV, I have a feeling that the software is trying to over calibrate it to get to a base setting of some sort.

Will definitely post again later with make/model etc.

Thanks again

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    Unless the guy disabled ASBL in the service menu during calibration, there is a chance that the new settings are off. He also needs to use windowed patterns otherwise the ABL that Professor Snugglesworth noted earlier would cause his reading to be off. It sounds like there is a learning curve calibrating specifically for OLED TVs, similar to plasmas from several years back.

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    Getting my KS8000 (well, it's European cousin, the KS8080) tomorrow. Any tips re: setting it up and calibrating it? (Someone mentioned rtings.com earlier in the thread, so I'll definitely be looking at that one.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Getting my KS8000 (well, it's European cousin, the KS8080) tomorrow. Any tips re: setting it up and calibrating it? (Someone mentioned rtings.com earlier in the thread, so I'll definitely be looking at that one.)

They note in the rtings calibrations that best calibrations should actually vary from individual tv to tv even within the KS8000 line, so be ready to adjust theirs a bit. That said, I used them to set mine up recently, and the the only issue I noticed was that there seemed to be just a bit of a greenish tint to things. I played with the R/G balance a bit rather than diving back into the individual settings, and ended up with a picture my wife and I are both happy with.

• Options
    Thanks. Did you do all the individual settings listed at the bottom of http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    krapst78 wrote: »
    Unless the guy disabled ASBL in the service menu during calibration, there is a chance that the new settings are off. He also needs to use windowed patterns otherwise the ABL that Professor Snugglesworth noted earlier would cause his reading to be off. It sounds like there is a learning curve calibrating specifically for OLED TVs, similar to plasmas from several years back.

ASBL is for darkening a static image that's been displayed for a certain time. ABL is for dimming moving images. The former could be disabled in the service menu, the latter cannot.

There are ways to access the service menu if you have a Harmony remote, and you could probably reset everything to factory settings, but honestly you're better off contacting Best Buy to send another person over. Best to let a technician fix things than do it yourself, for warranty purposes.

• Options
    Thanks. Did you do all the individual settings listed at the bottom of http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings?

Yes.

• Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    ABL is for dimming moving images.
    ABL kicks in when the average total luminance of the panel exceeds a specific threshold, which I believe is around 200 nits for the LG. You can cause ABL to turn on with a static image if your average brightness exceed that limit. That is why the calibrator needs to use a small windowed test pattern to ensure the automatic brightness limiter did not cause inaccurate readings.

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    Whelp, thanks for the offers of help, but my Dad is insisting to configure it himself and then live with whatever the final result is. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    First impressions of the KS8080: very nice, though it'll take me a few days to get used to a 65" screen after six years of 50". Also, while the movie settings are okay for now, I'll have to fiddle with the game settings. Is it possible to have a setting that works well for both non-HDR and HDR content?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Whelp, thanks for the offers of help, but my Dad is insisting to configure it himself and then live with whatever the final result is. :(

If he gets an image he is happy with, then that's not too bad. Just make sure he at least uses proper grayscale patterns.

• Options
    Is there a website with the relevant patterns that can be accessed well from a PS4? Or a smart TV, for that matter? I have a calibration BR, but it's a nightmare to navigate.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to look into it.
    "Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that Samsung might just suck at upscaling 1080i broadcast HD from your Comcast box."

It can't be that simple though. If it was, then everything on the DVR would look like shit too since that's just the same cable box/HDMI/input as the live broadcasts. But somehow recorded content usually looks like it should, and live content does not. Also the KS8000 is actually rated well for all levels of inputs, including those well below 1080i.

That said, I think the problem is just with Comcast, and some amazingly coincidental timing. I've had the "Digital Clean View" off - I knew that was no good. I also had "Film Mode" off, but went to try it just now. When I did, initially I couldn't because my cable box is set to 1080p and the option was grayed out. But while I was looking at the menu the picture started going in and out, and while that was happening the signal was dropping to 1080i (or some other level of interlaced signal) and the Film Mode would turn on.

I was planning to go sign up with AT&T by the end of the weekend anyway just to get a huge price reduction for the next couple of years compared to what we pay Comcast now, so I suspect things will be fine when their install is done.

Just remember that recorded dvr content is normally not the 1080i version that is the live broadcast. Your recorded content is more then likely 1080p coming from your boxes Internet connection. At least that's how it is from directv.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Is there a website with the relevant patterns that can be accessed well from a PS4? Or a smart TV, for that matter? I have a calibration BR, but it's a nightmare to navigate.

I don't have the link handy, but there are ways to make USB sticks with the proper patterns. If it's something you're looking to do, I would dig around in the AVSForum calibration area to get some tips: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/

• Options
    Cool, thanks, will do.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    What's the best device for streaming 4K right now (is a fire tv any good, I'm using a stick right now and like it, but I don't think it can do 4K)? Do I need anything special when it comes to my modem/router or am I good as long as they can get the speed I need?

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Just a quick update to say that I'm very impressed with the KS8000's upscaling. I was expecting especially DVD content and the 1080i signal from our set-top box not to look all that great, but in spite of the move from 50" to 65" everything looks fine. Obviously the lower-res material can look a bit soft, but DVDs look absolutely adequate and the 1080i material looks very nice indeed. I haven't yet checked out any Blu-rays, but I'm looking forward to watching some of those - and tonight I should get my first taste of 4K Netflix.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Raynaga wrote: »
    So, I just picked up the 2016 LG OLED 65" B6, and so far I love the hell out of it. Not sure on the OLED brightness comments I keep reading as this thing is brighter than the sun. Picture is gorgeous, set itself looks great, amd seems a great replacement for my 5 year old Samsung plasma of the same size. I am in a blacked out media room, which may help.

That said, I'm still within the return period, and I keep hearing about input lag. I haven't experienced any issues so far messing with Destiny, Gears, Skyrim, and a few other titles. Is it something that in a month from now I am going to be kicking myself for not returning? So far I am completely in love with this thing.

Here is how I buy new technology.

I decide I want to buy something new. Be that a TV, monitor, graphics card, entire new machine, tablet, phone, whatever.

I immerse myself totally in the industry. I read everything, watch everything, research everything. I decide on my purchase.

And then I bring my purchase home, and this is the most important part. I don't look at that part of the tech industry again for at least 12 months.

There is always something new coming out, something around the corner, something that will make your new shiny toy into a dull and uninteresting bauble after three months. The best way to avoid it is not to know about it, because then you get to appreciate your new toy for what it is, rather than what it could be compared to the new stuff.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    This may be slightly off topic but now that I'm enjoying my KS8000 I'm in the market to upgrade my sound system. What's the current status around wireless options for surround sound? Is it still garbage? I really don't want to keep running speaker wire.