As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Westworld

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Musical slash Comedy eh?

you know, like "The Martian"

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Award Shows are Stupid

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Deadpool is a comedy.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    Deadpool is a comedy.

Well, yeah, obviously. It's not a musical though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Deadpool is a comedy.

Well, yeah, obviously. It's not a musical though.

Isn't it?

WHAM!

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    I actually kinda like that the globes separate comedy and musicals from dramas. Otherwise comedies and/or musicals would be much less likely to get any recognition.

That said, their definition of comedy is often baffling.

• Options
    I actually kinda like that the globes separate comedy and musicals from dramas. Otherwise comedies and/or musicals would be much less likely to get any recognition.

Having a single category for both is asinine to the point that it's practically an insult to the concept of categorization. If you wanna seperate into drama and not drama then fucking call it that, but as is it's like having a section of the grocery store for cereal and lunchmeat and mixing them indiscriminately.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited December 2016
    The problem is that it's the studios, not the HFPA, that determine what a movie should be submitted as. Which is why you'll end up with The Tourist or The Martian for best comedy, or snubs for best actor/best supporting actor because the studio submitted someone in the opposite category of their actual role. Studios are trying to game the system for maximum nominations.

rhylith on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

Having a single category for both is asinine to the point that it's practically an insult to the concept of categorization. If you wanna seperate into drama and not drama then fucking call it that, but as is it's like having a section of the grocery store for cereal and lunchmeat and mixing them indiscriminately.

Kinda silly but not actually a big deal?

Poorochondriac on
  • Options

Yeah I was super over-exaggerating the point, which, maybe given my posting history didn't read as humorously as I intended. It's not a big deal at all, just something that bugs me a little.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Yeah I was super over-exaggerating the point, which, maybe given my posting history didn't read as humorously as I intended. It's not a big deal at all, just something that bugs me a little.

I have to assume it's just because there are never enough musicals released to give them their own category, and since most musicals are generally upbeat if not necessarily comedies, it's the best of a bunch of bad options.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Am I.... am I good to reactivate this thing?

Westworld came back last night! I think it was a decent premiere but I was kind of expecting more? I don't have any in depth thoughts right now, which is itself kinda weird!

• Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    It seemed like a lot of setting the table, showing new players, where everything's at.
    The Bernard stuff is definitely fun and seems like it will be a lot of the 'mystery' part of this season. What he's remembering, when is what's happening to him in the timeline, etc. I'm hoping they take MiB/William somewhere a little more interesting than the straight up "the game is real now" spot but we'll see

Randy Butternubbs on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I liked it, it made me want to go and watch all of season one so I could understand everything that was happening

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    oh dang i totally missed that this came back last night

as a new father i have particular interest in stories about a person's creation being programmed to care about genre shit their creator liked until they kill them

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    #TeamDolores till the end

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    This first episode introduced a lot of confusing new stuff that I will continue to lose track of over the next three months.

• Options
    The only big thing I am sparking on in the premiere is
    confirmation that the park is heavily invested in taking DNA samples and behavior metrics from all its guests
    Begin creating the secret robot doubles of powerful people

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    #TeamDolores till the end
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qBlPa-9v_M

#KillAllHumans

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    I like the little, off-handed reveal that Westworld is just on an island off of China somewhere. Also, it got me thinking: If there isn't a Wuxiaworld, somebody fucked up bad over there at R and D.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The premiere didn't ignite any desire in me to watch another episode

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I gotta wonder how big that island is, given that
    there are maybe at least 6 parks? I think Stubbs said the dead tiger was from Park 6.

• Options
    Maybe the island is a robot, too.

Think about it.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I gotta wonder how big that island is, given that
    there are maybe at least 6 parks? I think Stubbs said the dead tiger was from Park 6.
    I took it the other way assuming there were at least 6 islands at first but considering the tiger shows up in THAT park, I’m leaning more towards they’ve got one big piece of land that they terraform to suit their purposes

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I liked the premiere fine

Wasn't nearly as good as the S1 premiere, which ruled, but it was enjoyable and fun to see the hosts running wild on their own for a while

Hopefully it picks up a bit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    confirmation that the park is heavily invested in taking DNA samples and behavior metrics from all its guests
    I bet that security guy is already a robot, and he might be a prototype for the experiment. He got captured last season and not seen since this episode (two weeks after rebellion starts). If you were running the type of operation without the entire park knowing, you'd probably want the security guy under your thumb.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I bet that security guy is already a robot, and he might be a prototype for the experiment. He got captured last season and not seen since this episode (two weeks after rebellion starts). If you were running the type of operation without the entire park knowing, you'd probably want the security guy under your thumb.

Holy shit... That's
    the hosts' road to fighting humans on their home turf.. they're already there, and already in key positions.-

This is also why dolores said she knows the past, present and future

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Also
    XrqNbzn.jpg
    O8VWykt.jpg

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Shit I didn't know Chrys did reviews of this too

• Options
    Shit I didn't know Chrys did reviews of this too

Latest Ep

The rest

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I really hope that Bernard
    is going to be a robot vampire now

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    God I fucking missed this show so much.

The flood killing everyone.. Arnold saying "I killed them all", like the god his character was in this story, killing his creation because of its sins..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I like the little, off-handed reveal that Westworld is just on an island off of China somewhere. Also, it got me thinking: If there isn't a Wuxiaworld, somebody fucked up bad over there at R and D.

This actually really annoyed me because you cant generate the dry conditions of a desert (or the dryer conditions in general needed for the setting) you need all an island, you need a large land mass.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Gonna cross-post my thing from D&D this morning
    Matev wrote: »
    So, on the way in to work this morning, I was working through things and reached a conclusion. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if i’m correct.

S2E1, with inference from a couple other sources
    I think the uprising is intentional and the means to kill a bunch rich folks so they can be replaced as some form of silent coup by Delos or an as yet unnamed group.

Evidence for this is Delos was trying to smuggle host code, as well as guest DNA and experiences out of the park. Why do that? Retention of IP is one thing, but I would think for simple blackmail this would be convoluted. However, if you have someone’s experiences, with a heuristic mechanism like the host neural net, that would allow you to simulate a person, much like Bernard is a duplicate of Arnold. This information can be used to create sleepers of anyone they want to duplicate who’s stepped into the parks.

It has been 2 weeks and the only response to a bunch of elites not coming back on schedule is a knock on the door from the Chinese military and Delos’ own PMC response? Feels light touch. Now, if people came back, and no one really noticed, that would make more sense.

You can’t have someone coming back and meeting/exposing their duplicate, so how do you clean that up? Call everyone back to the park for a special event, then trap them. How convenient that hosts have gained sentience now and go apeshit on the people that tormented them before. Pity they won’t be missed since they made it home.

Slightly meta-evidence that could spoil future events
    There was also apparently a promotional quiz about WW asking if a Host version of you is still you. Additionally, this was loosely the plot of the WestWorld sequel FutureWorld so it’d make sense for them to pull from that material[/spoilers]

Now why do this? Silent coup of some kind. It’s possible the robots already won and we just don’t know it yet.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I mean to be fair using actual AI to run a theme park is a fuckin' stupid idea so like I would expect there's more going on at the "park" than is surface level.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

This actually really annoyed me because you cant generate the dry conditions of a desert (or the dryer conditions in general needed for the setting) you need all an island, you need a large land mass.

Spoilers the island is actually Australia.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

Spoilers the island is actually Australia.

This explains the high mortality rate

• Options
    Finally, an opportunity to reenact my favorite scenes from Wake in Fright.

• Options
    Okay, look, I gotta talk to somebody about Arnold's choice of house design--

1) On a metatextual level, I think it's quite a choice for a dude who designed androids to base his house off of the Ennis House, which is probably most prominently featured in Blade Runner (it was also Angel's house in Buffy and the big bad guy's house in Black Rain, because I guess Ridley Scott has a thing for Frank Lloyd Wright. It's also the basis of the Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend's house in The Venture Bros.).

2) On a practical level it's even funnier, because using textile-based blocks to construct your house out of. Because the Ennis House is falling the fuck apart and has been for years. So are a good chunk of Frank Lloyd Wright's houses, because he ignored most of his engineers and decided that aesthetics were more important than function, which I guess is actually the greater metatextual reference in all of this.

Also, thinking on this made me realize this--

3) While Blade Runner might exist, obviously Jurassic Park doesn't exist in the fiction of this world, which means that @Poorochondriac's favorite novel, The Eaters of the Dead also does not exist. What a sad, weird world these robots must live in. . .