Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

Westworld

TubeTube Registered User admin
Westworld is a 1973 movie that has now been made into a tv show! It is about a theme park filled with robots that simulates a wild west experience. Things go wrong! Stuff happens! Boobers and wing wongs abound, because it is an HBO show. You can check out the first episode here: http://www.hbo.com/westworld

It's pretty good even though there are a bunch of problems with it. The original movie is not that good. Talk about Westworld now

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    do you think that if you hold one of the robots' guns and point it at your own face yul shoot your eye out

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    According to my wife having sex with a robot is still cheating.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Is the 1973 movie worthwhie/full of spoilers for the tv show?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I was pretty hooked after the first episode. Then again, history has proven that I am a sucker for Jonathan Nolan's mindbrain.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    According to my wife having sex with a robot is still cheating.

they're like the gamesharks of sex! they know all the sweet fuck moves

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Blake T wrote: »
    Is the 1973 movie worthwhie/full of spoilers for the tv show?

It spoils the basic premise which you should be able to guess by the end of the first episodes

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I learned yesterday that the comics writer Ed Brubaker, the guy that wrote Gotham Central and created The Winter Soldier, is a writer for this show

6F32U1X.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Basic premise:
    Jurassic Park with robot cowboys instead of dinosaurs

The movie isn't actually very good. It never really answers "and then what?". It's just an idea for a setting and not much else.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    The movie is great though if you want to see what the Terminator would look like if it had the best goddamn posture physically possible.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I like this dumb show.

Also I hope that
    Lee constantly getting his Genius Works Of Art completely pooped on in various ways
    stays as a running theme throughout the season.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The movie isn't actually very good. It never really answers "and then what?". It's just an idea for a setting and not much else.

You gotta go deeper. Follow up with Futureworld and then Beyond Westworld the short-run TV series! (I've done neither, nor have I seen the '73 movie)

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I can't tell yet if Anthony Hopkins is actually good on this show

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I can't tell yet if Anthony Hopkins is actually good on this show

Yes.

I've only seen the first ep but he seemed pretty unquestionably good

sidse babett knudsen, however

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Yeah, Jesus is she bad.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    how jj abrams is this series?

like does it do the LOST thing with dozens of false cliffhangers and red herrings just for the sake of it?

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

like does it do the LOST thing with dozens of false cliffhangers and red herrings just for the sake of it?

JJ Abrams has virtually nothing to do with the shows he produces. Look at Person of Interest for a show this is likely to be comparable to. None of that at all.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I can't tell if the guy playing Lee is a subpar actor or an amazing actor portraying a guy trying way too hard to be intimidating.

Brolo wrote: »

There's none so far.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I watched the first episode of this and immediately sought out the second afterward, but I still don't know if I liked it, somehow. Like, there's a bunch of questions I'm eager to see explored, and there were parts that I thought were very good, but there are some serious flaws as well, and I'm not sure how invested I am in it. But I'm still at least interested two episodes in, and since some of my favorite sci-fi shows took the better part of a season to get compelling, so that's probably a good thing overall.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I'm a little surprised by the reaction this show is getting regarding violence, especially from the forum crowd.

They do show the element of people that are just there to play pretend adventure western time, and then that are there to shoot up the place randomly.

But what is the real moral standing of these people?

In GTA you can play the levels. You can go around racking up a wanted level and shooting up the place. You can stop at every traffic light and go around playing bowling mini games. But no one calls you a violent maniac in any of these situations, despite the continually increasing realism of the gameplay. If GTA moves to VR then are you a bad person? Isn't this just GTA or Red Dead Redemption with robots? Is it the fact that they remember what makes it bad? When the robots were more primitive was it okay then?

I think these are the interesting moral ideas the show will probably explore.

Episode 2
    white hat Mcpoyle. He obviously thinks of himself as a good guy, but are we seeing a turn away from his morals when he picks up the can? It seemed representative of him accepting temptation. He wouldn't sleep with a robot hooker. But the milder girl next door representation, perhaps this will allow him to justify a transgression.

Or maybe they just team up... who knows.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised by the reaction this show is getting regarding violence, especially from the forum crowd.

They do show the element of people that are just there to play pretend adventure western time, and then that are there to shoot up the place randomly.

In GTA you can play the levels. You can go around racking up a wanted level and shooting up the place. You can stop at every traffic light and go around playing bowling mini games. But no one calls you a violent maniac in any of these situations, despite the continually increasing realism of the gameplay. If GTA moves to VR then are you a bad person? Isn't this just GTA or Red Dead Redemption with robots? Is it the fact that they remember what makes it bad? When the robots were more primitive was it okay then?

Episode 2
    white hat Mcpoyle. He obviously thinks of himself as a good guy, but are we seeing a turn away from his morals when he picks up the can? It seemed representative of him accepting temptation. He wouldn't sleep with a robot hooker. But the milder girl next door representation, perhaps this will allow him to justify a transgression.

I dunno my read on that isn't really about "morals" per se. It's more speaking to his character (in the personal sense of the word) that he's not interested in the base hedonism of "griefing" like his friend. Since he arrived there he's been trying to make connections with people there, immerse himself in the experience, and this is just an extension of that. It's not like having sex with a robot is inherently immoral.

Also there's a definite parallel being drawn between him and Cyclops-bot, whose script explicitly mentions preferring to EARN a woman's affection over simply buying it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Episode 2

I dunno my read on that isn't really about "morals" per se. It's more speaking to his character (in the personal sense of the word) that he's not interested in the base hedonism of "griefing" like his friend. Since he arrived there he's been trying to make connections with people there, immerse himself in the experience, and this is just an extension of that. It's not like having sex with a robot is inherently immoral.

Also there's a definite parallel being drawn between him and Cyclops-bot, whose script explicitly mentions preferring to EARN a woman's affection over simply buying it.
    no sex with robots isn't inherently wrong, and he turns it down to keep an oath to someone else. But perhaps his interaction with Delores shows that it isn't as simple as that. That he isn't some complete bastion of moral fortitude. Now that might not be where it leads but it seemed like the implication.

I suppose it might come down to how much intent matters. If he does wrong but has good intent how bad is he? Certainly an angle the show might explore.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    How do you think they determine host dick size

Do they make 'em all statistically average, to ensure that all guests can handle 'em? Do they give 'em all paper towel tubes and let the chips fall where they may? Do they have a like Sleep Number dial that you turn to get the size you want?

Enough of the "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" bullshit, Westworld. Tell me what these roboys are packing.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

Episode 2

no sex with robots isn't inherently wrong, and he turns it down to keep an oath to someone else. But perhaps his interaction with Delores shows that it isn't as simple as that. That he isn't some complete bastion of moral fortitude. Now that might not be where it leads but it seemed like the implication.

I suppose it might come down to how much intent matters. If he does wrong but has good intent how bad is he? Certainly an angle the show might explore.

Or maybe he saw someone drop something, and helped them pick it up because it was the courteous thing to do, and he's a courteous person.
    I mean hell, he even apologized to the whore-bot for refusing her advances.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I really dig this show

I also really dig it as a metaphor for videogames and creating videogames

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Do they make 'em all statistically average, to ensure that all guests can handle 'em? Do they give 'em all paper towel tubes and let the chips fall where they may? Do they have a like Sleep Number dial that you turn to get the size you want?

Enough of the "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" bullshit, Westworld. Tell me what these roboys are packing.

They are all sporting 11" dongs, thick as a newborns thigh, shock of pubic hair, golden like a flaxen birds' nest.

Decomposey wrote: »

Episode 2

Or maybe he saw someone drop something, and helped them pick it up because it was the courteous thing to do, and he's a courteous person.
    I mean hell, he even apologized to the whore-bot for refusing her advances.
    Perhaps. Perhaps he is true blue good and joining team robot to fight for robo rights. We will find out on Sunday I'm sure. But given how it is more of a morality play and less character driven I'm not sure

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

And this is the exact reason why I'm so interested in the series, because it seems like it's not content with the black and white scenario the movie put forth.

I think it was Tube who suggested interchangeable parts for the purposes of cleaning, so following that train of thought we arrive at a scene similar to the "picking out a hat" scene only it's a wall of dicks instead.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I think it was Tube who suggested interchangeable parts for the purposes of cleaning, so following that train of thought we arrive at a scene similar to the "picking out a hat" scene only it's a wall of dicks instead.

I'll take the brindle beauty right there. 8 inch.

I just hope it doesn't stay a black hat white hat morality play and gains some nuance.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Jeffrey Wright should be in more stuff, he's fucking great and has the best voice

PSN- AHermano

I'll take the brindle beauty right there. 11" rosewood, dragon heartstring, nice and supple.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I like this show! Robots are cool and so are cowboys and together they are Extra Cool.

Also,
    MRSA, in a robot? Did that strike anyone else as being fuckin weird?

edited October 2016
    I like this show! Robots are cool and so are cowboys and together they are Extra Cool.

Also,
    MRSA, in a robot? Did that strike anyone else as being fuckin weird?

Not really?
    I think as far as we've seen so far, the Hosts are more or less completely biological.

Veldrin on
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    I really dig this show

I was reading a post by somebody on twitter about this! I think Katherine Cross linked it--it was real interesting. Made me want to watch the show (but no HBO :'( )

l3icwZV.png
    Machwing wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »
    I really dig this show

I was reading a post by somebody on twitter about this! I think Katherine Cross linked it--it was real interesting. Made me want to watch the show (but no HBO :'( )

I believe the first episode is free for anyone. At least it was as of last week when I watched it. Unfortunately that means if you DO like it, the waiting is all the worse, but you can at least try it and see.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Westworld: Hundreds of hosts. Thousands of stories. Limitless possibilities.

... two hat colours.