Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So Trump has the nuclear codes now right? Or is this one of those things which gets more officially handed over later in some capacity?

Like, it turns out one of the things which stops me sleeping at the moment is ongoing fear of waking up to find out he's done a surprise strike on Syria or something.

In fact I'm worried I'm going to wake up and find out it's even being contemplated openly.

I actually think it'd be very difficult for the US to do something like that. Despite the apparent response time, there are actually a lot of steps that have to be followed between the Pres saying 'go' and anything actually firing. The US has built its entire nuclear infrastructure around not using them.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    I think it's impossible there isn't a prisonable crime in his tax returns.

Absolutely. There's something big in it, else he'd just release them

even if there isn't, this is the conversation he's now created

personally I think they just show he doesn't actually make that much money, or is continually gaming the system

Or all three, really.

It's rather unlikely there'd be any genuinely illegal information. After all, he's been under audit for the last forever. Just how bad are the IRS to not find anything that would otherwise be obvious to everybody else if they were released?

I'm with SIG. It's his ego that prevents him from proving he isn't the billionaire real estate genius he presents himself as. Of course, all those stories that line up his bankruptcies and follow-up business deals that he basically just licenses his name.

He will release no proof that he is an insignificant man playing at importance.

Isn't Trump himself the only source for this claim?

Someone at the IRS needs to tweet "Audit is done, it's safe to release your taxes now Mr. Trump."

My understanding, which is open to correction, is that the IRS do not comment on any audit except with the auditee. Which I personally don't begrudge, despite the shortcomings apparent this particular case.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So Trump has the nuclear codes now right? Or is this one of those things which gets more officially handed over later in some capacity?

Like, it turns out one of the things which stops me sleeping at the moment is ongoing fear of waking up to find out he's done a surprise strike on Syria or something.

In fact I'm worried I'm going to wake up and find out it's even being contemplated openly.

He's had the nuclear codes since sometime before 9am January 20th, 2017.

We've made it 48 hours and he hasn't managed to nuke anyone yet. Good job, Trump!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

I actually think it'd be very difficult for the US to do something like that. Despite the apparent response time, there are actually a lot of steps that have to be followed between the Pres saying 'go' and anything actually firing. The US has built its entire nuclear infrastructure around not using them.

I read an excellent article about two years ago describing how much of the executive branch operates independently of whoever is in the Oval Office, and how that existing bureaucracy's inertia makes it difficult for the President to change the trajectory of anything involving the military or intelligence communities. I wish I could find it now, because all I find when I google are conspiracy-monger sites complaining about the federal reserve or the rothschilds.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Alternative facts are what will be broadcast unquestioned on the most popular cable news channel in the country. Polarisation is apparently the goal of the government.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

He's had the nuclear codes since sometime before 9am January 20th, 2017.

We've made it 48 hours and he hasn't managed to nuke anyone yet. Good job, Trump!

It's only a matter of time before the next mass shooting, or police shooting, or SOMETHING, all of which he's reacted to badly, and now that he has actual power, the imagination runs wild. As horrible as it is to say, I kind of hope the next awful tragedy is something completely and unmistakably American citizens on American citizens so we get off on the foot of not fucking up the rest of the world with his kneejerk responses and can set a baseline for his bullshit.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Oh look at all the white people getting sworn in.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Ding dongs weren't all raising their right hand at the start of this senior staff swearing in because of course. Done and now we got Banno, Kushner, Kellyanne, Priebus, among others all up in. :|

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    They must have been hiding Omarosa in the back, I didn't see her

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Humorously - if we left the UN and gave up our permanent seat on the security council / veto powers, a lot of bad shit would happen to a lot of people. Not that we always use that for good, but at least the veneer of stopping other countries from doing stupid stuff is there.

That's unlikely. There's nothing truly reprehensible coming down through the Security Council that the US would definitely veto, and yet both France and Britain would not. It would do enormous and irreversible damage to the US' diplomatic power, but that's it.

It would certainly send Likud up shit creek.

HnLERUX.jpg

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular

?

I thought the US nuclear arsenal was designed the opposite way, for a quick strike. So there is very little turnaround between the president ordering a launch and the missiles firing.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Humorously - if we left the UN and gave up our permanent seat on the security council / veto powers, a lot of bad shit would happen to a lot of people. Not that we always use that for good, but at least the veneer of stopping other countries from doing stupid stuff is there.

That's unlikely. There's nothing truly reprehensible coming down through the Security Council that the US would definitely veto, and yet both France and Britain would not. It would do enormous and irreversible damage to the US' diplomatic power, but that's it.

Actually, the only thing that pops to mind for "resolution the US would veto that France/UK are ok with" is any resolution condemning Israel. So the US giving up its seat on the UNSC would be a net negative for Israel first and foremost. Which I find kinda hilarious given how Bibi is a vocal GOP/Trump fan.

sig.gif
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

?

I thought the US nuclear arsenal was designed the opposite way, for a quick strike. So there is very little turnaround between the president ordering a launch and the missiles firing.

They also run constant drills where the officers actually turning the key and launching the nuke don't know if it's a drill or the real thing.

They have, from their point of view, literally nuked Russia thousands of times.

Edit: When the order comes, only the Sec. of Defense (and maybe State)could stop it, but that's about it. Which would mean getting fired and replaced with the next guy that will follow the order.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

One thing I read said the president basically gets a huge book of codes with several sections corresponding to the day of launch and certain other verification factors and has to personally look up enter each section in to start the process(to ensure someone does not just get one page and wait until that day to launch) and likened the entire process to programming a universal remote control to work with an off brand TV. If this is in any way true, given my own attempts to explain to my 70+ year old relatives how to program their remotes, and what we already know about Trump, there is almost no way he will ever be able to figure out how to work the thing, and thus will civilization be preserved.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

?

President says launch, SecDef confirms the validity of the order, they're in the wind within 5 minutes.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    fareed zakaria was just talking abo
    Xantomas wrote: »
    They must have been hiding Omarosa in the back, I didn't see her

she was in the seond or third row all the way to the left. I saw her and thought 'oh a not white person... oh it must be omorosa' and it actually was.

not to be insulting to her in any way I just didn't know what she looked like but my assumption was correct.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/1EO9y4rGxvk

I'd say it's 50/50 that this becomes reality, but I do hope I'm way off base and wrong about this.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    moniker wrote: »

?

President says launch, SecDef confirms the validity of the order, they're in the wind within 5 minutes.

Right, it does require secdef confirmation, and the secdef and vice president are instructed they can invoke the 25th amendment at that point if it is thought a strike is unwarranted.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options

?

Right, it does require secdef confirmation, and the secdef and vice president are instructed they can invoke the 25th amendment at that point if it is thought a strike is unwarranted.

IE instigate a coup. What a future we have to look forward to.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to go back to rereading the various Jack Ryan novels, where politics and international relations make sense.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to go back to rereading the various Jack Ryan novels, where politics and international relations make sense.

Enjoy the fun in Patriot Games where he implies a loving and committed marriage between Charles and Diana.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Veevee wrote: »

?

IE instigate a coup. What a future we have to look forward to.

Not so much a coup. Initiating a first strike is insane, insanity is an incapacitating factor in regards to ability to carry out the duties of the presidency, 25th amendment states an incapacitated president may be relieved by consensus of cabinet and vice president, QED.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

He was instructed on how the football works at around 8am on the 20th IIRC, and as soon as he took his hand off the make Lincoln spin in his grave button Lincoln's bible, the football and actual codes were in his presence and his to use.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    "Sir I need you to confirm the launch codes!"
    "Of course General, by the way did you see the fake news saying my inauguration had a low turnout? I don't know how they can think that my intelligent, amazing penis could draw low numbers. It is magnificent by the way, many people have told me that, many smart people have told me that. I just used it to dial the phone, no normal person could do that. By the way my wife Melania, isn't she hot? Beautiful? She chased me you know, had to beat her off with my magnificent penis."
    "Sir, the Russian nukes are moments from our..."
    "Russia? Beautiful place, I'm building a hotel there you kno..."
    *line goes dead"

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I am never going to stop caring about all the lies. Trump's group thinks they are important enough to threaten the press over.
    So far, so good. But we do not congratulate a schoolmaster on teaching that two and two make four, though we may, perhaps, congratulate him on having chosen his laudable vocation. Let us then say it was praiseworthy that Tarrou and so many others should have elected to prove that two and two make four rather than the contrary; but let us add that this good will of theirs was one that is shared by the schoolmaster and by all who have the same feelings as the schoolmaster, and, be it said to the credit of mankind, they are more numerous than one would think—such, anyhow, is the narrator's conviction. Needless to say, he can see quite clearly a point that could be made against him, which is that these men were risking their lives. But again and again there comes a time in history when the man who dares to say that two and two make four is punished with death.

The schoolteacher is well aware of this. And the question is not one of knowing what punishment or reward attends the making of this calculation. The question is that of knowing whether two and two do make four. For those of our townsfolk who risked their lives in this predicament the issue was whether or not plague was in their midst and whether or not they must fight against it.

Conway also sounded like there was going to be a purge of the intelligence community.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/22/donald-trump-cia-speech-win-twitter-protests
    Appearing on ABC’s This Week on Sunday, senior Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway said it was time for the president “to put in his own security intelligence community” and added: “We really would prefer the intelligence community that’s going out the door to be much more respectful toward the president and his vision in moving forward.”

Some kind of secret state police.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    PLA wrote: »
    I am never going to stop caring about all the lies. Trump's group thinks they are important enough to threaten the press over.
    So far, so good. But we do not congratulate a schoolmaster on teaching that two and two make four, though we may, perhaps, congratulate him on having chosen his laudable vocation. Let us then say it was praiseworthy that Tarrou and so many others should have elected to prove that two and two make four rather than the contrary; but let us add that this good will of theirs was one that is shared by the schoolmaster and by all who have the same feelings as the schoolmaster, and, be it said to the credit of mankind, they are more numerous than one would think—such, anyhow, is the narrator's conviction. Needless to say, he can see quite clearly a point that could be made against him, which is that these men were risking their lives. But again and again there comes a time in history when the man who dares to say that two and two make four is punished with death.

The schoolteacher is well aware of this. And the question is not one of knowing what punishment or reward attends the making of this calculation. The question is that of knowing whether two and two do make four. For those of our townsfolk who risked their lives in this predicament the issue was whether or not plague was in their midst and whether or not they must fight against it.

Conway also sounded like there was going to be a purge of the intelligence community.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/22/donald-trump-cia-speech-win-twitter-protests
    Appearing on ABC’s This Week on Sunday, senior Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway said it was time for the president “to put in his own security intelligence community” and added: “We really would prefer the intelligence community that’s going out the door to be much more respectful toward the president and his vision in moving forward.”

They could call it the Special Trump's America Secret Investigators.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

How about Presidential Protection Squad?

• Options

We have an SS already, might as well get an SD too.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Not exactly sure the reasoning behind this, but they are apparently running commercials for some of the cabinet picks. This is from a friend who lives in Kentucky.

0tioAd0.jpg

Like, I don't think he's from Kentucky? This wasn't any sort of re-election thing afaik. I think it was literally just to try to convince people he's a good pick?

No seriously what does the text blurb mean because it sure is not a sentence in English?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Not exactly sure the reasoning behind this, but they are apparently running commercials for some of the cabinet picks. This is from a friend who lives in Kentucky.

0tioAd0.jpg

Like, I don't think he's from Kentucky? This wasn't any sort of re-election thing afaik. I think it was literally just to try to convince people he's a good pick?

No seriously what does the text blurb mean because it sure is not a sentence in English?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/in-alabama-jeff-sessions-desegregated-schools-and-got-the-death-penalty-for-kkk-murderer-updated/article/2005461

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

0tioAd0.jpg

It means whoever wrote it is a parrot getting crackers for regurgitating words they don't comprehend.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    "Of course General, by the way did you see the fake news saying my inauguration had a low turnout? I don't know how they can think that my intelligent, amazing penis could draw low numbers. It is magnificent by the way, many people have told me that, many smart people have told me that. I just used it to dial the phone, no normal person could do that. By the way my wife Melania, isn't she hot? Beautiful? She chased me you know, had to beat her off with my magnificent penis."
    *line goes dead"

Honestly if someone launches a first strike on us who gives a shit about retaliation, everyone is probably already as good as dead anyway, including the first striker eventually from fallout and aftereffects.

I mean you certainly want everyone to think you have a super awesome retaliation system that will kill the shit out of them as soon as the thought of a first strike enters their head, but the actual practical aspect of the matter doesn't really matter much

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Oh he made sure a murderer belonging to the KKK got the death penalty?

I actually tried to understand what the sentence was trying to say and was not able to.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    *line goes dead"

Honestly if someone launches a first strike on us who gives a shit about retaliation, everyone is probably already as good as dead anyway, including the first striker eventually from fallout and aftereffects.

It'd be a shame to let all of our nukes go to waste. We've already built them so we might as well use them.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    His own security force and now his own intelligence service

so is Trump literally creating his own brown shirt force?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm fairly certain what Conway meant there was the political appointees.

The majority of the IC are civil servants who can't be removed easily.

• Options
    His own security force and now his own intelligence service

so is Trump literally creating his own brown shirt force?

He just better hope none of them ever remember what happened to the first brownshirt force, right?

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain what Conway meant there was the political appointees.

The majority of the IC are civil servants who can't be removed easily.

Couldn't be, but the House revived the Holman Rule and it sounds like they may want to use it.

This discussion has been closed.