Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Wow. Lead headline on the 10 o clock news (UK) asking the question - does the new president have a grasp on reality?

I just came here to post that. Remarkable. That was ITV right? Earlier today the BBC (!), usually the world's most boring but trustworthy news organisation that try their absolute hardest to never use an adjective to avoid bias, ran a feature explaining how Trump is trying to undermine dissent in the press, I was somewhat taken aback.

In general, he's getting absolutely hammered on the 'alternative facts' thing. Conway just became a celebrity here.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    That they keep inviting Conway shows you how deeply unserious TV news is. It's all about the show.

Or they're giving the admin an opportunity to get ahold of as much (figurative) rope as possible.

She certainly seems committed to being an insufferable jerk about everything, so hey it makes for good tv and is useful to remind people that a key spokesfigure for the administration is an insufferable jerk.

"Let's get Conway on the line, SNL has plenty of material, but let's see if we can't get them something really good."

I'd give the media even less credit for secretly being Machiavellian superintellects than I would the administration. They wear their ignorance and clickbait stratagems on their sleeves even more obviously than Trump.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    That they keep inviting Conway shows you how deeply unserious TV news is. It's all about the show.

Or they're giving the admin an opportunity to get ahold of as much (figurative) rope as possible.

She certainly seems committed to being an insufferable jerk about everything, so hey it makes for good tv and is useful to remind people that a key spokesfigure for the administration is an insufferable jerk.

"Let's get Conway on the line, SNL has plenty of material, but let's see if we can't get them something really good."

I kind of feel for her, she has 4 kids, she was brought on to a doomed campaign as a career builder, and she overshot it and ended up as some kind of spokesperson for the Great Horned Rat who goes on TV and defends obvious lies, that has to be pretty soul-destroying.

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    She could have easily departed in the glow of helping a trashfire of a campaign win the 2016 election - on a technicality - into any number of cushy PR jobs. Kellyanne "alternative facts" Conway does not need anybody's sympathy. Nobody in Trump's administration needs sympathy, they need admonition until they're all booted out onto their sorry asses.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

I kind of feel for her, she has 4 kids, she was brought on to a doomed campaign as a career builder, and she overshot it and ended up as some kind of spokesperson for the Great Horned Rat who goes on TV and defends obvious lies, that has to be pretty soul-destroying.

I feel absolutely nothing for her. Aside from Trump, she's more responsible for this absolute shitshow of an administration than anyone - and she knows exactly what she's doing.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular

Trump will not kill her if she quits. Hell, he might not even tweet about it. And it's not like she can't get a job elsewhere.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

I actually think she's probably the worst person in the whole administration, second only to the Trump himself. Trump at least probably has an undiagnosed mental issue that keeps him from thinking through the crazy shit he says (not that it's an excuse). Conway takes that crazy shit and makes it even worse by trying to alter reality itself so that it doesn't add up to being crazy shit anymore.

Unlike Trump, she seems 100% aware of what she's doing, and she signed up to do it.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

She so obviously loves what she does. And if she didn't, she could have moved on after the election with no-one suspecting a thing.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    If she wanted money, this was the high-water mark on her market value. She got the thing elected, people would have paid what she wanted.

She's sticking with this for reasons beyond money, which is somehow worse.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Unfortunately there is nothing that can shock Trump voters. There is nothing low enough. If they don't care about Trump's dubious links to Putin, why should they care about Conway and her complete disregard for the truth?

That's fine.

I'm not convinced they can be moved anyway.

But the D's that sat on their hands this year when they didn't in the past, the giant swathe in the middle that doesn't vote at all, that's worth reaching out to.

And I speak generally and partially for humour. I'm aware that the Trump administration and state administrations are likely going to try to rig the game.

That's another battle. That's another thing to make people aware of. That's a tangential fight.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    On a somewhat random note, I find the European far-right's embrace of Trump (and vice-versa) a little strange. Human, but strange. I really fail to see why Europeans would think that a supposedly American-FIRST Trump administration would be good for Europeans, and similarly how a <European nation>-FIRST revolution across Europe would be good for America. It would seem highly irrational and contrary to one's own interests/objectives.

That being said, I don't find it unusual. We're talking about a group of people that misperceived their relative positions in the world and have pscyhologically placed themselves in the role of rebellious outsiders fighting a more powerful world order, when in reality they're probably much closer to the traditional world order than most - even within the context of the Western world, they're still all rich, white folk who've inherited enormous wealth from their parents - and have otherwise been derided for much of their lives, so seeking support and validation of their accomplishments makes sense. I just can't help but note that this seems likely to result in something similar to the Sino-Russian split at some point, as the "Communists" realise that they actually hold opposing positions.

Still, I wonder how much of this is driven by 1) the unique nature of the Internet, and 2) state-sponsored propaganda. The conflicting nationalist-transnational nature of their support base is so full of inherent contradiction, it remains difficult to believe that it arises naturally. How can nationalists in one nation cheer nationalists in another nation? Why would French and British and German nationalists cheer nationalism in the other nations, when such nationalism has traditionally manifested in conflict between them??? Yay, the US is going to withdraw from NATO leaving us underequipped and undefended? ?????????

Edit: Need to add, those "rich white folk" I refer to are the leaders of these neo-nationalist movements, and not so much their followers.

hippofant on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    She could have easily departed in the glow of helping a trashfire of a campaign win the 2016 election - on a technicality - into any number of cushy PR jobs. Kellyanne "alternative facts" Conway does not need anybody's sympathy. Nobody in Trump's administration needs sympathy, they need admonition until they're all booted out onto their sorry asses.

Especially Ivanka. Don't normalize her for being the "sane one", sure she can't choose her family, but that doesn't mean she's a saint.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Especially Ivanka. Don't normalize her for being the "sane one", sure she can't choose her family, but that doesn't mean she's a saint.

I'll never forget her heartwarming tale of the time she made the household staff buy her lemonade.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    How can nationalists in one nation cheer nationalists in another nation?

Because it validates their world view that each "people" deserves their own country, and that its ok to kick our immigrants and weirdos. Its like if you are into some weird niche gaming stuff, and you find out one of your other friends plays, it means you aren't alone in what you want. That this is all happening in Western Civ is interesting, its a reversion to nationalism being based on language/culture. Its why the comparison to Nazis is so solid, they got to that idea first in some ways. What is weird about it all is that normally that kind of movement centers around economic hard times, and that simply isn't the case here, its center around the feeling of hard times. I wonder how much of that the internet/mass media is fueling, its very easy to see what bad is happening in the world, in ways that didn't happen prior. It also rubs in people's faces what they don't have, in ways that didn't exist prior.

Yes, I am blaming Trump on Cribs :P

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »

I'll never forget her heartwarming tale of the time she made the household staff buy her lemonade.

At least it was real lemonade, I hope.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I think Nationalists cheer on other Nationalists because it normalizes ultra right wing trends globally. I imagine hearing about Russian anti-blasphemy and anti "gay propaganda" laws gets American nutjobs excited. They can worry about competing with eachother in a generation or two, right after they get done placing their boots firmly on the necks of minorities locally, which is probably the whole point for most of them.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I think Nationalists cheer on other Nationalists because it normalizes ultra right wing trends globally. I imagine hearing about Russian anti-blasphemy and anti "gay propaganda" laws gets American nutjobs excited. They can worry about competing with eachother in a generation or two, right after they get done placing their boots firmly on the necks of minorities locally, which is probably the whole point for most of them.

This must be what it felt like to live in the early 30s

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a
    If she wanted money, this was the high-water mark on her market value. She got the thing elected, people would have paid what she wanted.

She's sticking with this for reasons beyond money, which is somehow worse.

Shes probably hedging bets that we wont get another president.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Modified my rule addition because apparently that's a thing now.

Please don't advocate, even as a joke, killing people. I seriously don't want to stop posting on this forum.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Meeqe wrote: »
    How can nationalists in one nation cheer nationalists in another nation?

Because it validates their world view that each "people" deserves their own country, and that its ok to kick our immigrants and weirdos. Its like if you are into some weird niche gaming stuff, and you find out one of your other friends plays, it means you aren't alone in what you want. That this is all happening in Western Civ is interesting, its a reversion to nationalism being based on language/culture. Its why the comparison to Nazis is so solid, they got to that idea first in some ways. What is weird about it all is that normally that kind of movement centers around economic hard times, and that simply isn't the case here, its center around the feeling of hard times. I wonder how much of that the internet/mass media is fueling, its very easy to see what bad is happening in the world, in ways that didn't happen prior. It also rubs in people's faces what they don't have, in ways that didn't exist prior.

Yes, I am blaming Trump on Cribs :P

I am not particularly surprised that people think economic times are bad, when they're not. A fact of human psychology is that we evaluate our positions in society relative to that which we observe. And, like you said, there aren't television shows about the lifestyles of the poor or underprivileged - possibly because they're feel-bad shows that challenge the premise of the American Dream, and so get terrible ratings. And so dramatic income inequality distorts people's perceptions of their own positions and a relatively recent absence of QoL gains has converged to generate an abstract, arbitrary anger that doesn't know how to direct itself (and so, in turn, is easily directed by others).

I mean, I guess the deeper reality is that these people aren't "real" nationalists, which is both good and bad. "Real" nationalists venerate their nation and promote it at the expense of all others: see the relatively more stable, consistent manifestation of, say, Chinese nationalism, which always positions China in competition with almost all other nations. These "nationalists" are like old WWII German nationalists who promoted the idea of the Aryan nation despite not being Aryan themselves.

I mean, how much of MAGA is about returning to an era of full employment, a phenomenon which was intentionally eliminated by conservative governments intent on destroying the power of labour (also communists) and preserving the wealth/power of capital by wrestling inflation to the ground? (Obv, the way to restore that is to elect the conservative capitalist billionaires who destroyed that paradigm in the first place.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    I just want to note that we should stop feeling sorry for Repubs anyone who have shown no reason that they can't go against Trump. This includes re-election chances. America is at a precipice and we can't waste our energy on people who are trying to push us off it.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Seriously though, Donald Trump isn't solely responsible for turning me into a leftist, but he sure as hell gets a good amount of the credit.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Just don't ask what the Trump brand Girl Scout cookies were made of.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Just don't ask what the Trump brand Girl Scout cookies were made of.

I'll have you know they are made with 100% organic girl scouts

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    On a somewhat random note, I find the European far-right's embrace of Trump (and vice-versa) a little strange. Human, but strange. I really fail to see why Europeans would think that a supposedly American-FIRST Trump administration would be good for Europeans, and similarly how a <European nation>-FIRST revolution across Europe would be good for America. It would seem highly irrational and contrary to one's own interests/objectives.

That being said, I don't find it unusual. We're talking about a group of people that misperceived their relative positions in the world and have pscyhologically placed themselves in the role of rebellious outsiders fighting a more powerful world order, when in reality they're probably much closer to the traditional world order than most - even within the context of the Western world, they're still all rich, white folk who've inherited enormous wealth from their parents - and have otherwise been derided for much of their lives, so seeking support and validation of their accomplishments makes sense. I just can't help but note that this seems likely to result in something similar to the Sino-Russian split at some point, as the "Communists" realise that they actually hold opposing positions.

Still, I wonder how much of this is driven by 1) the unique nature of the Internet, and 2) state-sponsored propaganda. The conflicting nationalist-transnational nature of their support base is so full of inherent contradiction, it remains difficult to believe that it arises naturally. How can nationalists in one nation cheer nationalists in another nation? Why would French and British and German nationalists cheer nationalism in the other nations, when such nationalism has traditionally manifested in conflict between them??? Yay, the US is going to withdraw from NATO leaving us underequipped and undefended? ?????????

They're just a bunch of [something something] participation medal [something] snowflakes.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Edit: Need to add, those "rich white folk" I refer to are the leaders of these neo-nationalist movements, and not so much their followers.

Because first they have to join together to overthrow the liberal global order. Same reason why the racist Germans and the racist Japanese sided together in WWII, when both nominally considered each other to be of an inferior order of life, whatever they felt about whites or Asians, they knew the British, French, and Americans were going to stand in their way.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Oh what the hell, wrong thead. :(

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Seriously though, Donald Trump isn't solely responsible for turning me into a leftist, but he sure as hell gets a good amount of the credit.

He gets credit from me actually embracing being a filthy leftist who thinks the Republican party should simply be destroyed outright. There is no hope for any good alternative parties until they're gone. And I will not weep if the racists and evangelists are forced into single-platform minority parties.

Sure Uncle Rob might be a little racist, but he cares more about keeping his job than he will about voting for whatever party the KKK decides to make. The few who think that their rational self interest is less important than their racism deserve no pity and I would like them to be conveniently identifiable. It's already bad enough having to deal with supply-side cranks without all that other baggage.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

A few things there:
    • The far right is legendary for how shortsighted it is in terms of the effects of actually implementing its goals;
    • Insular, nationalist far-right groups tend to have common interests in terms of their hatred of immigrants, minorities, maybe a local scapegoat community and (more often than not) the democratic system itself;
    • Groups like that tend to be huge on personal connections/kinship/etc., and will often just personally like each other due to Point #2 ("I like the cut of your gibberish, sir!"), even when that's not in their best interests (see Point #1).
    • As a rule they're obsessed with hard power, seeing similar movements as more points for their side even if they're at odds in the long run.
    Still, I wonder how much of this is driven by 1) the unique nature of the Internet, and 2) state-sponsored propaganda.

They both have their impact, but this has also happened once before, when computers weren't a thing yet.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Though SNLs humanizing skit about her was amusing, it's pretty clear she's reprehensible at this point. Any modicum of sympathy I once held for her has been fully erased. She knows what she's doing. She's actively hurting our country while doing it.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Though SNLs humanizing skit about her was amusing, it's pretty clear she's reprehensible at this point. Any modicum of sympathy I once held for her has been fully erased. She knows what she's doing. She's actively hurting our country while doing it.

She's 100% on board by choice and so I don't feel bad for her. She probably thinks of herself as a master manipulator who plays the media like a fiddle. I really hope this "alternate facts" fiasco will get more people to view her as someone who will literally say anything for the right price.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Conway is a mercenary. I don't know why people feel sympathy for her. She joined for the money and is staying on for the power.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

I think the magic connection here is Putin. He's funding their groups and supplying them with propaganda that causes them to see other fascists as an international brotherhood. This is in his interests. He doesn't want fascism to overtake Europe and then turn on him. He wants each country run by an ultranationalist party that has loyalty to him and sees him as fuhrer.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    There are not enough checks. That's why electing a maniac to the presidency is a bad idea.

Note that if Trump gives the order to use nuclear weapons, it's not going to be something random like "Nuke Sweden, their PM said something horrible about me. " What will happen is that Trump gets us mired in some horrible war that grinds on forever and no progress is being made. The armed forces are getting ground down by having their limbs blown off by IEDs and the people there loathe us. So Trump gets mad and decides that Japan surrendered pretty quickly after the nukes went off and gives the order to nuke the biggest mass of enemy resistance to teach them a lesson. The armed forces, who by now despise whatever this country is, and want to get out, don't put up much resistance.

Off the top of my head, and bearing in mind I'll never know about the actually classified stuff, I can think of three or four scenarios like this which have occurred, the question of first-use came up, and it was recoiled from. That's not counting God only knows how many others where it wasn't seriously discussed despite people salivating over the possibility (e.g., both Iraq wars, the First Chechen War, etc).

Militaries aren't orks even if a lot of them like to present themselves that way at times. They'll be wholly aware of the security implications of using nuclear weapons in anything other than a second-strike scenario.

(More cynically, the most oligarchic administration since the Founding Fathers will probably be hesitant to destroy the global economy, which even a single warhead first strike would probably pull off outside of really particular circumstances. Not only would they be risking death in the counterstrike, but they might lose money!)

I'm not saying the military are orks. I'm saying Trump appears to be.

As you say, the possibility of a first strike has come up before and cool heads resisted. Unfortunately, Trump is not a cool head!

I don't fear him waking up on Tuesday with a headache and randomly nuking France to get his feelings out. I fear him being the man who decides in a crisis whether to use nuclear weapons or not. All other presidents, however belligerent, have done their utmost to avoid it. I don't think Trump would.

Trump's not an Ork! That's an insult to Orks! He does not respect the WAAAAAGH! (Though I'm unable to determine which Warhammer 40K faction he would be.)

Chaos

He's too petty. He's a Skaven.

This. The Horned Rat is an amalgam of Nurgle and Tzeentch.

No. No don't ruin Skaven for me.

What do you think was making him sniffle at the debates?

Cocaine? No, son, that was straight warpstone dust.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I think the magic connection here is Putin. He's funding their groups and supplying them with propaganda that causes them to see other fascists as an international brotherhood. This is in his interests. He doesn't want fascism to overtake Europe and then turn on him. He wants each country run by an ultranationalist party that has loyalty to him and sees him as fuhrer.

The problem here is that, once they end up in power, they owe him probably nothing AND might need a scapegoat

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Trump call with Netanyahu "went very well", discussions begin on moving embassy in Israel.

Also, Comey just paid a visit to the WH.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Conway is a mercenary. I don't know why people feel sympathy for her. She joined for the money and is staying on for the power.

I can't entirely blame her for staying on, she can see the writing on the wall.

She could be the next Eva Braun if she plays her cards right.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    And Putin to call soon.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ooh, I forgot about the embassy moving bit.

So a one-two of leaving the UN AND moving the embassy. Israel is going to have a hard time if those both happen.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.