As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    So, now I'm genuinely curious: does anyone have any idea what Mexico / Canada push for, if Trump does in fact follow through on his latest screed of re-negotiating NAFTA?

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/22/politics/trump-renegotiate-nafta/

I mean, Trumps positioning seems obvious, but I'm genuinely curious what the outcomes Mexico would like to achieve in such a re-negotiation - end of corn subsidies? Canada, I know even less about, but if anyone has any stories that actually look at what such a negotiation would entail for the other parties that agree to it, I'd love to see it. Everything I can find just talks about how Trump has declared that he wants to do it, while ignoring the other parties to the agreement.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Spoit wrote: »
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    She could have easily departed in the glow of helping a trashfire of a campaign win the 2016 election - on a technicality - into any number of cushy PR jobs. Kellyanne "alternative facts" Conway does not need anybody's sympathy. Nobody in Trump's administration needs sympathy, they need admonition until they're all booted out onto their sorry asses.

Especially Ivanka. Don't normalize her for being the "sane one", sure she can't choose her family, but that doesn't mean she's a saint.

Being recognised as "the sane one" is not turning into her a saint, merely acknowledging that she's the least obvious dumpster fire in her family. We know she's conservative, but she's ruthlessly efficient at maintaining her image and shows competency - which is step up from her relatives, minus Melania. We really don't know what she's like underneath, best case scenario she's a neocon.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    So, now I'm genuinely curious: does anyone have any idea what Mexico / Canada push for, if Trump does in fact follow through on his latest screed of re-negotiating NAFTA?

I mean, Trumps positioning seems obvious, but I'm genuinely curious what the outcomes Mexico would like to achieve in such a re-negotiation - end of corn subsidies? Canada, I know even less about, but if anyone has any stories that actually look at what such a negotiation would entail for the other parties that agree to it, I'd love to see it. Everything I can find just talks about how Trump has declared that he wants to do it, while ignoring the other parties to the agreement.

I think Trump sees no issue with simply reneging on an agreement. He certainly hasn't in the past.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

There are too many variables in play to make much of a prediction, I think. One, in particular, is going to be whether Canada and Mexico are going to proceed with TPP even if the US abandons it. For Canada, the implementation of CETA is going to be important as well.

If Trump pushes for a protectionist slant to NAFTA, my guess would be that Trudeau will try to diversify Canada's trading partners and continue pursuing overseas trade. But it's extremely unclear how Trump actually wants to renegotiate NAFTA, since Canada's a resource-exporting nation and several US industries find it extremely profitable to operate in/extract out of Canada, in particular oil and automobile. At the same time, leaving NAFTA as is would open a massive loophole in Trump's protectionist trade policies, since corporations from other nations could start locating their production facilities in Canada/Mexico to bypass US tariffs on their home nations.

Still, there are absolutely certain Canadian bugaboos with NAFTA, in particular softwood, agricultural co-ops, water and resourcing, and corporate rights to sue. But as with all things diplomatic, it's a give-and-take, and it remains to be seen what Trumps wants to take.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't understand anything about why they want to move the embassy but I saw how negative and possibly violent the reactions will be and well

it's fucked up that we can take an action that will illicit violent response and then act like it's not our fault at all. I really can't understand a view of the world that basically says "yeah, try it!" when people say 'hey you're doing something that really upsets us and we may fight you'

who wants to fight that badly over nothing? or at least, something I view as nothing, which I guess is the point.

Netanyahu wants to kill the possibility of a two-state solution, getting the capital recognized as Jerusalem is the start to that.

Trouble is, i can't see a single country other than the US who would go for it, and the US only will do so as long as a Republican is in office. Netanyahu's fucked up by doubling down on the party with shrinking demographics and a dim political future, alienating Democrats in the process.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    If he pushes very aggressively into Palestine while the US defends them from diplomatic backlash... I mean, shit, the Israeli PM can do a lot of absolutely horrid stuff in four years.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

There are too many variables in play to make much of a prediction, I think. One, in particular, is going to be whether Canada and Mexico are going to proceed with TPP even if the US abandons it. For Canada, the implementation of CETA is going to be important as well.

If Trump pushes for a protectionist slant to NAFTA, my guess would be that Trudeau will try to diversify Canada's trading partners and continue pursuing overseas trade. But it's extremely unclear how Trump actually wants to renegotiate NAFTA, since Canada's a resource-exporting nation and several US industries find it extremely profitable to operate in/extract out of Canada, in particular oil and automobile. At the same time, leaving NAFTA as is would open a massive loophole in Trump's protectionist trade policies, since corporations from other nations could start locating their production facilities in Canada/Mexico to bypass US tariffs on their home nations.

Still, there are absolutely certain Canadian bugaboos with NAFTA, in particular softwood, agricultural co-ops, water and resourcing, and corporate rights to sue. But as with all things diplomatic, it's a give-and-take, and it remains to be seen what Trumps wants to take.

Trump hasn't mentioned Canada much AFIAK. As a Canadian, I'm not really all that worried if he's stupid enough to cancel NAFTA and the preceeding Canada-US free trade agreement.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm curious - has trump enacted that loony plan that was on his website to get Mexico to pay for the wall that was meant to start on day 1 of his term?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm curious - has trump enacted that loony plan that was on his website to get Mexico to pay for the wall that was meant to start on day 1 of his term?

He is asking Congress to approve paying for it first, then will ask Mexico to reimburse once it is complete

So pfffffffffffhahahahahahahahahahaha

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I'm seeing that Wikileaks is requesting someone send Trump's tax returns to them now.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Fact: no
    Alt-fact: That was never the plan, only the FAKE NEWS about the real plan

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I'm seeing that Wikileaks is requesting someone send Trump's tax returns to them now.

Frankenstien's Monster turning on its creator? WHO COULD HAVE POSSIBLY SEEN THIS COMING.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I just had to drop in and relieve the pressure building up in my skull by screaming about Kellyanne's "alternative facts" bullshit she tried to throw at Chuck Todd.

I expect this administration to lie. I expect it regularly. I expect it to be wild and egregious nonsense. I expect it to be petty.

But to send your press secretary out in front of all of us - ALL OF US - and be so petty and dictatorial that you feel the need to lie about your tiny-ass inaugural showing?

Jesus, man. This might be the longest 4 years of my life if this is how we're kicking things off.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »

Frankenstien's Monster turning on its creator? WHO COULD HAVE POSSIBLY SEEN THIS COMING.

Pretty sure anything we get out of wikileaks will be edited to shit.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

He is asking Congress to approve paying for it first, then will ask Mexico to reimburse once it is complete

What construction company would want the job? You know they are only going to get a small percentage of what was promised and told to wait for Mexico to pay up for the rest.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Being recognised as "the sane one" is not turning into her a saint, merely acknowledging that she's the least obvious dumpster fire in her family. We know she's conservative, but she's ruthlessly efficient at maintaining her image and shows competency - which is step up from her relatives, minus Melania. We really don't know what she's like underneath, best case scenario she's a neocon.
    Ex-wife Ivana (Ivanka's mother) is the one she gets it the intelligence/competency from- she ran Trump's hotels better than he did and took him to the cleaners in the divorce. Melania looks miserable in every picture because First Lady isn't what she wanted (or really is capable of). Ivana would have thrived.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

Canadian articles have noted that all discussions with Trump's team on renegotiating NAFTA is focused almost entirely on Mexican issues, with Canada being not at all the focus. The two main points of contention that seem to be focused on are country of origin rules and the independent dispute mechanism.

Canada's been using Mulroney as a go-between since there are apparently personal connections with the Trump administration that we can exploit, but for now it's going to go come down to the actual negotiations to see how serious they are.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The decline begins.

I've already adjusted my retirement plan accordingly.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Konphujun wrote: »

Pretty sure anything we get out of wikileaks will be edited to shit.
    I don't think so, Assange's goal is chaos. But it's irrelevant if anyone had something, they wouldn't be waiting for fucking Wikileaks.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Yeah I set my phone to show signal strength instead of the useless bars. Right now it's -91, if you're curious. Which translates to two bars of strength apparently.

These are true facts.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    The decline begins.

Just wait until they repeal (and don't bother replacing) the aca. That will be a depression all by itself

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    The decline begins.

Just wait until they repeal (and don't bother replacing) the aca. That will be a depression all by itself

Dems need to start calling Trump The Walking Recession, and call the GOP The Recession Party.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

Canadian articles have noted that all discussions with Trump's team on renegotiating NAFTA is focused almost entirely on Mexican issues, with Canada being not at all the focus. The two main points of contention that seem to be focused on are country of origin rules and the independent dispute mechanism.

Canada's been using Mulroney as a go-between since there are apparently personal connections with the Trump administration that we can exploit, but for now it's going to go come down to the actual negotiations to see how serious they are.

Given Trump's capacity for negotiation, I think Canada will get to annex the Pacific Northwest and we'll get Windsor and the naming rights to Hudson Bay.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

What construction company would want the job? You know they are only going to get a small percentage of what was promised and told to wait for Mexico to pay up for the rest.

You think they are actually going to get Mexico to pay for it? bwahahaha.

Here's how it's going to go.
    Congress approves (hopefully not).
    Contract goes out to someone that is selected (probably with strangely close ties to Trump in some way).
    Job starts, and the costs spiral completely out of control for years, if not decades, all on the taxpayers dime.
    This is presented with "alternative facts" so that it doesn't look bad.

Mexico never pays for anything, but there's lots to talk about how Trump is leveraging trade deals or whatever to recoup costs even when the reality is they are doing absolutely nothing.
    Maybe they slip in a few more, "oh, you can't count this debt as real debt" somewhere so that they can claim that they made back money.

In the end, it won't matter. If they ultimately go through with it, it's going to be a colossal expense that is 100% going to come out of our pocketbooks, and no one elses, and will be lining the pockets of any company involved for many years to come.
    They might hire a few small no name ones for parts to throw to the wolves for cost overruns, but that's the most I'd expect to happen.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Can I request the next thread title be

[Trump Administration] First 100 Business Days (excluding nights and weekends)

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Also the Southern American Wall, trademark copyright no steal my idea clause, won't do any sort of thing that it is portended to achieve.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    From Robert Reich's Facebook yesterday.
    I had breakfast recently with a friend who's a former Republican member of Congress. Here's what he said:
    Him: Trump is no Republican. He’s just a big fat ego.
    Me: Then why didn’t you speak out against him during the campaign?
    Him: You kidding? I was surrounded by Trump voters. I’d have been shot.
    Me: So what now? What are your former Republican colleagues going to do?
    Him (smirking): They’ll play along for a while.
    Me: A while?
    Him: They’ll get as much as they want – tax cuts galore, deregulation, military buildup, slash all those poverty programs, and then get to work on Social Security and Medicare – and blame him. And he’s such a fool he’ll want to take credit for everything.
    Me: And then what?
    Him (laughing): They like Pence.
    Me: What do you mean?
    Him: Pence is their guy. They all think Trump is out of his mind.
    Me: So what?
    Him: So the moment Trump does something really dumb – steps over the line – violates the law in a big stupid clumsy way … and you know he will ...
    Me: They impeach him?
    Him: You bet. They pull the trigger.

I think he's giving the congressional GOP too much credit.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    right the alternative is Trump basically ends up trying to extort the money out of Mexico by adding tarriffs and upping legal crossing fees and whatnot.

course in the long run that hurts Amercians as much as anyone else.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I had breakfast recently with a friend who's a former Republican member of Congress. Here's what he said:
    Him: They’ll get as much as they want – tax cuts galore, deregulation, military buildup, slash all those poverty programs, and then get to work on Social Security and Medicare – and blame him. And he’s such a fool he’ll want to take credit for everything.
    Him: So the moment Trump does something really dumb – steps over the line – violates the law in a big stupid clumsy way … and you know he will ...

I saw that on Facebook and barely gave it the time of day.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

I saw that on Facebook and barely gave it the time of day.

It's credible enough until you remember there are still Tea Party and alt-right white nationalist shitweasels ready to primary somebody.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I think they are giving america too little credit also.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The decline begins.

On the bright side, this might help the US/CAN exchange rate. Save me some money.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular

I'm mildly concerned that if this happens in ~3 years, the honeymoon of "oh thank christ Trump's gone" will let Pence win the next election.

Though the greater concern is Trump purging the Republicans and replacing the party apparatus with loyalists. Hindenburg always though he was the one in control of the populist demagogue, after all.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I just had to drop in and relieve the pressure building up in my skull by screaming about Kellyanne's "alternative facts" bullshit she tried to throw at Chuck Todd.

I expect this administration to lie. I expect it regularly. I expect it to be wild and egregious nonsense. I expect it to be petty.

But to send your press secretary out in front of all of us - ALL OF US - and be so petty and dictatorial that you feel the need to lie about your tiny-ass inaugural showing?

Jesus, man. This might be the longest 4 years of my life if this is how we're kicking things off.

It's already so tiring. I loved checking the politics threads during the election, but I was expecting things to go back to a quiet normal afterwards. I can't go a few hours anymore without feeling like I need to check if anything insane has happened, and I don't see that changing much at all for the next four years.

• Options

I think that's what the establishment GOP thinks it's play is gonna be. But they will chicken out.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Until the GOP does anything of substance against Trump's rhetoric they cannot be separated from it sorry

the GOP is Trump and Trump is the GOP

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    So, I just had an "I wonder..." moment.

alternativefacts.com exists, and redirects to a NYT article.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    How the fuck did we get here? If we had to have a raging narcissist as the US president again, why couldn't he have been more like LBJ instead of an orange lunatic?

You've had a party of radical apocalyptic religious racist pro-greed fascists backed by a base that won't abandon them no matter what and a party that will do anything to win for decades now and no one has really been interested in doing anything about it.

shryke on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

I'm mildly concerned that if this happens in ~3 years, the honeymoon of "oh thank christ Trump's gone" will let Pence win the next election.
    How is a lawful evil cardboard figure, with no likeable positions nor charisma at all, going to win anything? Democrats nominating Nigel Farage for 2020?

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »

How is a lawful evil cardboard figure, with no likeable positions nor charisma at all, going to win anything? Democrats nominating Nigel Farage for 2020?

Said the same thing about Trump.

Democrats fall in love.
    Republicans fall in line.
    Trump was the absolute worst pick and the Republicans still showed up. The onus is on Dems to lose and we are really good at losing.

This discussion has been closed.