Options

Cat [chat]

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Within the universe of The Division, killing the people you kill in The Division is justified. But in a work of fiction, making every criminal a violent monster you need to shoot on sight is a pretty questionable writing decision.

cB557 on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Oh hey look that's when Kanye was worth the hype!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Akira was a really good movie that I never understood the plot of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8NC5ZKx8Yo

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    hmmm akira ok

i have also seen grave of the fireflies

i was looking through a list of miyazaki films after simon was talking about that fake weeaboo in his interviews but i don't think i've seen any of those

You should watch Princess Mononoke then, its my fav Miyazaki movie by a mile

...to me that was the most boring one!
    I prefer Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, and My Neighbor Totoro, in about that order. Beneath that, the other ones I like but don't necessarily recommend generically.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    seriously though what was the plot of Akira?

Like, I get that it's the future and Tokyo is in a bubble or there was a nuke or something right?

Then there's a biker gang, and a fight, and two kids get arrested or something, and one gets weird super powers and there's drugs called capsules. I got that. I think?

Then out of nowhere biker boy has some ridiculous space laser and there's a fight.

What did I miss?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

Like, I get that it's the future and Tokyo is in a bubble or there was a nuke or something right?

Then there's a biker gang, and a fight, and two kids get arrested or something, and one gets weird super powers and there's drugs called capsules. I got that. I think?

Then out of nowhere biker boy has some ridiculous space laser and there's a fight.

What did I miss?

critical thinking

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

What did I miss?

Any accurate answer is basically:

pZauVoV.jpg

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

What did I miss?

critical thinking

oh I always fail crit rolls.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    j6VZRRp.jpg
    I don't think the Akira movie had Chiyoko so it is infinitely worse than the manga.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Semispheres is a fun little puzzler, I'm almost done with it

I guess it's on PC or PS3?

idk if you like puzzles get it or don't w/e

http://semispher.es/

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    princess mononoke

give us the man, we eat him, we get his strength, chase the humans away - the ape tribe

these guys get it

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Alazull wrote: »
    Shivahn Remind me if there are any food allergies in play?

@Alazull nope! Incidentally, this weekend is planned, but I always have more occasions forever

• Options
    edited February 2017
    It's odd that the Akira manga had a bunch of cool badass female characters, while the movie had exactly one girl whose entire role was to show her boobs and then eventually get killed

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    It's odd that the Akira manga had a bunch of cool badass female characters, while the movie had exactly one girl whose entire role was to show her boobs and then eventually get killed

Didn't the anime have a female resistance fighter who Kaneda was mooning over?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Airbender, Korra
    Akira, Kaneda

coincidence, I think not

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Variable wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    you can be a lady with a full sleeve american flag tattoo in ghost recon wildlands

cry about it liberals

it is perfect almost beyond measure

on the one hand they want to call all modern military shooters bland, brown-hued hoo-rah american jingoist war drum hammering. for the finer, more sophisticated nerd-liberal we have spec ops the line, the only acceptable shooter because it faces you with the mirror of your xenophobia, etc etc

but on the other hand, strong, empowered, tattooed combat waifu who broke through the grass ceiling

*belly chuckle*

I'm sure this is like half joke but I don't really feel like this critique of liberal nerds is at all accurate

No it's 100% me

• Options
    i just like saying CODBLOPS tbh

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    For all who bought the Humble Freedom Bundle, Thirty Flights of Loving is a great and very short game that had some poignant bits that I liked

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

Twelve year-old FroThulhu may have started his slow, implacable slide toward Actual Feminist the day he saw Akira

It took something like eighteen years, but it worked

Fuck that movie

• Options
    Rchanen wrote: »

Didn't the anime have a female resistance fighter who Kaneda was mooning over?

Oh, yeah, she's still cool. Though I don't think she ever really gets a chance to do much, whereas she has her own storylines in the manga.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    For all who bought the Humble Freedom Bundle, Thirty Flights of Loving is a great and very short game that had some poignant bits that I liked

dare i love again

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    you can be a lady with a full sleeve american flag tattoo in ghost recon wildlands

cry about it liberals

on the one hand they want to call all modern military shooters bland, brown-hued hoo-rah american jingoist war drum hammering. for the finer, more sophisticated nerd-liberal we have spec ops the line, the only acceptable shooter because it faces you with the mirror of your xenophobia, etc etc

but on the other hand, strong, empowered, tattooed combat waifu who broke through the grass ceiling

*belly chuckle*

I'm sure this is like half joke but I don't really feel like this critique of liberal nerds is at all accurate

No it's 100% me

this sweet vindication..

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Took stimulants before climbing

Sent my project

Also climbed a billion other things until my hurting elbow felt numb, before realizing "oh, right, I can't use tiredness as an indicator of when it's time to quit"

Here's hoping I didn't injure myself; did some good cooldown work and chased a victory burrito with an ibuprofen because vague notions about inflammation and joints, idk, also burritos are delicious.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

What did I miss?

Boobs, apparently.

(My analysis is the same as yours)

• Options

cry about it liberals

*belly chuckle*

No it's 100% me

this sweet vindication..

j/k games depicting women in the military gloss over the actual reality of military life for women and also we should abolish the military and also nation-states

• Options
    (f'real though spec ops is great)

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

cry about it liberals

*belly chuckle*

wandering be honest

wasn't i just pulling complete phrases from your brain
    I mean, Tom Clancy games etc are so far outside my purview that I'm not super likely to go on angry rants about them. They're like Stephen Segal movies - I am only vaguely aware that they exist

This does remind me that I've been meaning to play Spec Ops the Line tho

wandering on
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    Took stimulants before climbing

Sent my project

Also climbed a billion other things until my hurting elbow felt numb, before realizing "oh, right, I can't use tiredness as an indicator of when it's time to quit"

Here's hoping I didn't injure myself; did some good cooldown work and chased a victory burrito with an ibuprofen because vague notions about inflammation and joints, idk, also burritos are delicious.

hm TL DR

hmm

• Options
    those new shoes have you actin' awful cocky up there brah

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

cry about it liberals

*belly chuckle*

No it's 100% me

this sweet vindication..

j/k games depicting women in the military gloss over the actual reality of military life for women and also we should abolish the military and also nation-states

Well... not to be apologist... but it's not horrible everywhere...

...where it's horrible, it's pretty fucking horrible tho...

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Much like Ghost in the Shell, I think there's a gap between explaining the plot of Akira, the film, and Akira, the manga, and there's often a degree to which people conflate the two in their explanations, as though there is a solitary, consistent "order" that underpins the two

in chapter 6 of my thesis,

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

Shoes and bro supplements :/

Actually I haven't noticed much difference with the shoes. Maybe once they're fully broken in? They aren't super aggressive or really much different than the rental models.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    hmmm akira ok

i was looking through a list of miyazaki films after simon was talking about that fake weeaboo in his interviews but i don't think i've seen any of those

I have seen princess mononoke which is so so, and I think one other?

maybe spirited away

• Options

Actually I haven't noticed much difference with the shoes. Maybe once they're fully broken in? They aren't super aggressive or really much different than the rental models.

yes but they are yours and no one else's foot sweat is in them

you aren't wearing socks are you?

nosocks!

• Options
    edited February 2017
    as in life there is no plot

rather a series of causally related events unfold to the complete bafflement of all

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    hmmm akira ok

I have seen princess mononoke which is so so, and I think one other?

maybe spirited away

I like Spirited Away.

I really did not like Howl's Moving Castle.

• Options

You get them Fivefingers brah?

Heard they're magic shoes.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    If anyone has any further questions about database production/consumption, my office hours are between 10 and 12pm

now if you'll excuse me, I have research to do

and by research I mean sleeving my copy of a Japanese Dominion-like I picked up today

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    gsi7ddxifa84.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    as in life there is no plot

rather a series of causally related events unfold to the complete bafflement of all affected

Or maybe the events are not causally related but just appear to be.

This discussion has been closed.