Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Nastrond wrote: »
    I did some experimentation. Honest opinions? Primary concern I have is that it might be a little too dark or not have enough contrast to be visually interesting. Needs to be re-based for sure, boots are pretty flat/bad, and I think I really need to hit the gold with some highlighting of some sort. Also a little concerned it looks a bit too much like a sham job, but can't decide.

hcsr7c5bh6is.jpg

My normal painting looks like this.

a0hjhfc05rtc.jpg

Hitting the metals with some edge highlights and scratches to show fresh wear and tear should make it pop.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Infinity models look different from 40k stuff when painted, so it's not a completely fair comparison, especially on that older chaos marine kit. Smaller more detailed Infinity stuff with lots of ribbing and smooth panels vs 40k's bigger chunkier models. You kind of have to approach painting those guys differently, the gradients and highlights on those Infinity guys would take a lot more work to get right on Mr.Bolter up there.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Both of those look great in the context of the game they're for. Infinity miniatures pop with cleaner, brighter colours to evoke the anime aesthetic of the game, while 40k models look great grimed and weathered and bloodied up.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Oh god I didn't take into account the ridiculous amount of armour trim on Guilliman when I began painting him.

Send help.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Oh my god, I just tried to do some edge highlighting on an infantry model and absolutely massacred it

My hands are very shaky. Looks like I'm going to be practicing drybrushing and washes instead.

Edit: on top of this I simply cannot get my paints not to run and smear everywhere. They seem to be extremely thin no matter what I do. I've tried shaking them by hand or spinning them with a power drill at maximum speed and they run everywhere, even when I tried with an unwetted brush. What am i doing wrong? I guess I need to drop something in there as an agitator.

First up, what brand paint are you using?

Vallejo game and model stuff.

I dropped some pewter sprue chunks in as agitators and that definitely seems to have helped, though now it's my shaky hands and colorblindness hampering me instead of uncontrollable paint smears.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Is it going to take you a few days instead of an evening oh no!

;)

I'm sure it'll be worth it.

• Options
    Oh my god, I just tried to do some edge highlighting on an infantry model and absolutely massacred it

My hands are very shaky. Looks like I'm going to be practicing drybrushing and washes instead.

Edit: on top of this I simply cannot get my paints not to run and smear everywhere. They seem to be extremely thin no matter what I do. I've tried shaking them by hand or spinning them with a power drill at maximum speed and they run everywhere, even when I tried with an unwetted brush. What am i doing wrong? I guess I need to drop something in there as an agitator.

I dropped some pewter sprue chunks in as agitators and that definitely seems to have helped, though now it's my shaky hands and colorblindness hampering me instead of uncontrollable paint smears.
    Putting your hands together at the wrist while painting helps with shaking hands.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Putting your hands together at the wrist while painting helps with shaking hands.

Also bracing your arms/elbows/wrists on a stable piece of furniture, a la a table.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    And lay off the caffeine if possible. I basically stopped consuming the stuff and it's helped my shaky hand problem quite a bit.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    It's fiddly and untidy. I could do some blacklining to better define the trim I guess.

h6sodgqod469.jpg

I keep going back and forth with my opinion of it.

Probably doesn't help that I'm having some massively dark mood swings lately.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Whatever other challenges might occupy your mind, let the certainty of your mini painting excellence stand fast as ironclad truth

• Options
    Give all that blue a nice sopping black wash, throw some red piping in somewhere and voila, Dark Guilliman. The administratum and adeptus of the Imperium will look up and shout "save us" and he'll look down and boom from his in-suit amplifier..."no".

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I read that as "insult amplifier".
    I stand by my interpretation.

EDIT: Well, since I'm here already: another failure to photograph red stuff:
    TkpFir1.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I forget if I've mentioned at any point that I've slowly been knocking out a subset of Imperial Assault minis over the last half year. I finished up the last one today, and figured I should probably have SOME proof of having done it. :P So here's a wholly underwhelming compilation alongside all the other awesome stuff on this page. But hey, $10 paint jobs aren't even supposed to be this pretty, so ... there's that I guess?

iip5mfmviw3r.png

• Options
    Those reds are beautiful, @Mayday.

Also I just shifted Ahriman for £50 plus postage, the first time I've managed to double the RRP with a paint job.

Lets see what I can get for Robbie when he's done.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    They're great, Arctic! Not sure if this is the right way to put it, but each one seems to have a coherent colour-scheme - this stands out especially in the first one, where despite the many colours, everything works together! That's something I've yet to achieve, I must say.

And congratz, Kneel!

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    It's honestly an interesting exercise in restraint since I usually want to do as much as I can for myself, and you have to remember "No, I'm only being paid this much for a quick, cheap paint job."
    But I still went a little further on these because they were the last ones ... and because I forgot about them for a month. <_<

I wish I could take credit for the colour schemes, but to paint all of them I just looked up their cards on google images to faithfully recreate them (and make it easier to identify them on the board). Thanks all the same. I definitely did make an effort to vary things a bit and keep them from being boring.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I finally finished him.

20170405_233159_zps3z2ghxth.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    That gold holster looks pretty killer.

So I'm already all in for Shadow War. I've always really loved the look of Tyranid Warriors, but they're sort of terrible in 40k proper (and I've no interest in making a giant Tyranid swarm army), but they're perfect as a small skirmish killteam.

I really wanted to go for a good alien look, something bizarre and otherworldly that plays off the insect+dinosaur look of the Tyranids. I also wanted to tap into some Lovecraft style cosmic horror, and decided that these guys are all going to be cthonic blind monstronsities, crawling around in the dark corners of the earth. I might paint them a pale pink-white, like earthworms.

Two basic warriors, feeling around in the darkness with their noodley wiskers.
    starspawn01.jpg

My Warrior Alpha, sporting some fancy fly wings (He can't actually fly in the rules, but I figure he can go fast enough and they look cool)
    starspawn02.jpg

Two 'Gun Beasts', which are the heaviest conversions. Tyranids are awesome, but I've never really liked the whole bioweapons/swords that are held like guns. I wanted something totally removed from anthropomorphism, and thus... the "Bee-rex"
    starspawn03.jpg

And finally a cute little Ravener popping out of the ground like a death worm.
    starspawn04.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Nope.

Nope nope nope.

Nope, nope, nopity, nopenopenope.

• Options
    beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    As a lover of 'nids that is HUGELY inspiring.

Well done!

EDIT Aaaah plague drone heads, very clever!

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I found that taking a heatgun to things that should be bendy (like tails) really adds a lot of action. Ramrod straight warrior tails dont look very organic.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    McGibs when I get my hobby dungeon set up to capture the best hobbyists and force them to work in my hobby mines, i've got a cage reserved just for you

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    McGibs, those are amazing and I can't wait to see them painted. I especially love the look of the Bee-rex.

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    McGibs when I get my hobby dungeon set up to capture the best hobbyists and force them to work in my hobby mines, i've got a cage reserved just for you

You'll never take him alive, copper!

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Meanwhile, creeping progress.6hokqmokctbr.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I really can't wait to see some of the shit people do for Shadow War teams. I just ordered a bunch of FW Cadian bits for my IG vets team. I'm planning on making them all at least heavily kitbashed. I may even do some greenstuff!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Robot's looking awesome. You -have- to paint that little padded collar to be red velvet plush though.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Man, properly equipped stormtroopers get really expensive. Carapace, hotshot packs and reloads for the lasgun, frag grenades, and optionally scopes and photovisors really add up fast.

• Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    Robot's looking awesome. You -have- to paint that little padded collar to be red velvet plush though.

Damn, ain't got a choice now!

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Nope.

Nope nope nope.

Nope, nope, nopity, nopenopenope.

Counterpoint: Yes

Yes yes yessssssss

Yes, yes, yessity, yesssssssssssssssssssssss

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    Meanwhile, creeping progress.6hokqmokctbr.jpg

Those blues are so good!

*fake edit*
    And the rest of it too!

• Options
    I love the bee-rex

Built in horrible organic ranged weapons >>>>> weird organic handheld guns

• Options
    Gross symbiotic weaponry can work, it's just boring to have it be held in hands and shot like a normal human gun. Make it something neat like a weaponized cordyceps, horrible fungus splitting open the bug's head and shooting high velocity spores at targets. Or two bugs joined at the butts, with one firing the other. The insect kingdom is vast and super nasty.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Gross symbiotic weaponry can work, it's just boring to have it be held in hands and shot like a normal human gun. Make it something neat like a weaponized cordyceps, horrible fungus splitting open the bug's head and shooting high velocity spores at targets. Or two bugs joined at the butts, with one firing the other. The insect kingdom is vast and super nasty.

I feel like the descriptions from earlier 40k editions of the Tyranids were more like this, but got away from it, which is a shame.

More "Weird Bug Stuff", less "Bug Humanoids carrying bug-flavored human weapons", would be cool.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The thing I find weird with the Tyranid designs is they seem to be super inconsistent. You have things like the carapace spines on carnifexes, or the awesome hive-arm-things on tyranofexes, little parasite missiles on harpies, and even just basic scything talons, which are all cool organic 'alien' weapons. But then you have stupid crap like bone swords, lash whips, and all of the 'guns'. They all have awesome lore behind them, but they're so laaaaaaaaame looking.

I couldn't actually figure out how to mount an organic looking deathspitter conversion onto my warrior alpha after spending hours cutting and mashing bits together. He'll just spit acid out of his mouth or something I guess.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    McGibs wrote: »
    I found that taking a heatgun to things that should be bendy (like tails) really adds a lot of action. Ramrod straight warrior tails dont look very organic.

The straight tails look kinda cool when it's a shitload of tyranids all running in the same direction, it reminds me of the gallimimus scene from Jurassic Park (or pretty much any image of a large group of animals stampeding/flocking in one direction, which is what horde tyranids armies basically are).
    I really can't wait to see some of the shit people do for Shadow War teams. I just ordered a bunch of FW Cadian bits for my IG vets team. I'm planning on making them all at least heavily kitbashed. I may even do some greenstuff!

No joke. Cost of entry for Shadow War is going to be like $40-$50, so I think a lot of people will be trying new armies or heavily customizing their killteams since you can really focus on, say, 10 miniatures instead of having to work on an entire 1,500 points worth. I won't be able to pick my box up until the 14th but I'm thinking of grabbing a CSM box and using a bunch of leftover mk3 armor pieces to build my own little miniature ramshackle chaos warband.

edit: Or maybe I'll pick up a squad of Imperial Guard, then pick up some Tau bits from one of the dudes in my meta, and paint up a squad of plays-as-guard Gue'vesa... and then try and figure out how the hell they ended up on Armageddon.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Say, is it bad form if I leave links to my painting blogs on both Instagram and Facebook here?

Is that bad?

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    no.

website_header.jpg
This discussion has been closed.