As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/345865-Changes-Coming-to-Multi-crew

multicrew payouts to recieve a buff! the captian also gets a 25% off rebuy buff per crewmate should things go south.

This is good.

Actually it'll be 30% rebuy cost per crewmate. Even better!
    "We are increasing this pay-out reduction to 30% meaning a fully crewed ship will have its rebuy cost reduced by over half."

Payout increases look good. Everybody told them during beta that the decrease in payout was an awful change.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Man, that is much improved.

5% for all the lower ranks matched with Elite is bullshit of the highest order. Folks would rather just wing up and taxi across the bubble with that sort of payout.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    That was nice of Frontier, multicrew is really fun no matter the money you make, but for newer poorer commander it's a nice thing to be able to make good money as well.

This is impressive:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/345802-From-Bubble-to-Colonia-(21-800-ly)-in-3-hours-16-minutes

Bubble to Colonia in 3h16m, the neutron highway has really cut down on travel times. Fun little detail, that cmdr "Arnul", if he has the same name in game, is the best and most slippery pirate I've ever encountered. Saw him at a CG long ago where he was pirating in a Cobra while hunted by several full wings. He still managed to pull ships and extract some cargo while taking fire from the bounty hunters in bigger ships hunting him. Was really impressive to watch, of course this was back in the day when a Cobra was the fastest thing around and skill rather than engineering determined PvP outcome!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    It is amusing to zip along at 700+ m/s in my Courier and think back to my old drag racing Cobra.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So after the pointers got my new ship to explore and KBGFOAM the stars and went on a mission.

Result wise got to Surveyor, made 1.3 million creds and a round trip of 840ly.

Any tips on where I can nab a Alien relic and then get interdicted?

6tba4ac2xzj2.jpg

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Looks like Mad Max ship kits have been in the works for a while!

https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/game-extras/elite-dangerous-game-extras/cobra-mk-iii-raider-pack.html

I read a forum post about a strange ship spotted around a space station months ago with spikey bits on it. I'm safe from these (I don't fly my Cobra much and my Asp is probably my least favorite ship even despite it's usefulness) but if they release these for the federal ships or the Anaconda, I'll be in debt in no time.

They also released raider commander outfits. That one leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The other outfits are $3 for 6. This one is 6 outfits for $3 each, so they obviously split it up to try and make more money. That's kinda fucked up. I would have bought it if it were $3 for 6.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I feel like we should move to guy @Shogun

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/game-extras/elite-dangerous-game-extras/cobra-mk-iii-raider-pack.html

I read a forum post about a strange ship spotted around a space station months ago with spikey bits on it. I'm safe from these (I don't fly my Cobra much and my Asp is probably my least favorite ship even despite it's usefulness) but if they release these for the federal ships or the Anaconda, I'll be in debt in no time.

They also released raider commander outfits. That one leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The other outfits are $3 for 6. This one is 6 outfits for $3 each, so they obviously split it up to try and make more money. That's kinda fucked up. I would have bought it if it were $3 for 6.

I want more cosmetic stuff for my DBX. I'd be all over that shit in a heartbeat

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I feel like we should move to guy @Shogun

I had planned on it we're <100LY away. I didn't play yesterday cause i had a splitting headache all day.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Paq6Wip.jpg

I'm still in Guy working out of Leclerc Dock. Been working for the Fed aligned Centauri Coalition against the Party of Guy. Neither faction controls anything of import.

Right next to the station is a CZ that has a Fed capital ship aiding the Centauri Coalition. This makes completing massacre missions and collecting Bonds super easy. Hell, one time I literally parked my ship along side the cap ship, made a sandwich, proceeded to eat said sandwich and all the while my ship was perfectly fine. :razz:

The only downside to it all is that you might not get credit for a kill. I'd say like every 3 out of 5 you don't get credit. Though whether or not you do get credit seems random. There have been times where I was just unloading on an enemy ship for awhile and I got zero credit, but other times where I took a few pot shots off at an enemy at the extreme range of my weapons and got credit. :?

That said, enemy ships are spawning in so fast and getting killed so fast that even with the wonky kill credit I'm still able to complete a 60 ship kill order in like 30-40 minutes. All in all depending on how much RNGesus loves me I can usually make about 20-30 million in about an hour or so. With the added benefit of gaining Fed faction and ranks.

edit- I had one fantastic payout one day when I had a 60 ship kill order and a two 12 ship kill orders. The two 12 ship kill orders had an update halfway through in which they each would pay an extra 60k for each enemy ship I killed after the initial 12. Since I had 48 ships to got for the 60 ship kill order it ended up being quite the haul.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Well, in all fairness, special paintjobs have always been more expensive as well so... anyway, I may be in a minority but those spikes and lose plates looks really stupid and out of place in the E:D universe to me. On an ork fighta-bomba ok, but on the sleek and relitively grounded-in-reality ships of elite they don't mesh at all... I just hope they'll get ripped of in a hurry once we get atmospheric flight :P

Edit: still, the kit itself seems well done, here are some pictures from the inside as well:

imgur.com/a/OqPvi

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    Perhaps some (most?) of you have already seen this, but it is still interesting:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vtNq-tG4EgA

The audio-logs from the Formidine rift hints at a mystery that's at least 30 years old in the game, but it still makes me wonder... there is a story-line in the game, but it's hidden beneath so many layers of lore and such vast distances that most players will never get to experience it. Well done Frontier, that is some nice story-telling.

• Options
    Oh yeah it is neat.

https://youtu.be/aeJr5gf1_4s

April 29th we will have the Salome event which will also touch on the Formidine Rift mystery (among other big things).

The event will be a full scale thing involve numerous "actors" who'll actually be in game playing characters from the story. Players determine the outcome. The author has said he has notes ready for many eventualities (including everyone being killed). He has also stated that in the worst case scenario he does have contingencies so that the Big Mystery will be revealed, it'd just end up taking more work by the players.

It sounds like it'll be pretty fun, but not sure if I'll be able to participate. Depends on where the action will be. I think it'll take place the bubble, if so I'll check it out.

• Options
    Well had this happen. @Shogun and I took it out and got nothing for our trouble, but it sure was cool!

PbCNhkM.jpg

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    6D4B4C18085095ABE03E5144DE85659A5FE15353

@axen got a better pic i snapped mine right on approach cause i was scurred.

So when winged up I know we share bounties in a RES but I thought we shared combat bonds as well. The entire time out there i got 1 combat bond and it took ages to get even half of the required ships for my massacre job. I ended up ditching it cause I didn't feel like it was worth the time plus we kept accidentally triggering the federales on us and I got smoked once which made the mission a net loss even if I had completed it.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Who has two thumbs and hopped two systems over to go mining without a refinery fitted?
    It's me. I'm the idiot.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I'm easing my way back into the swing of things. Decided I would start with the biggest, most fool proof ships and step down gradually. I started in my Anaconda with multi-crew shenanigans. Tonight I ran solo bounty hunting in the gunship. I'm still a little apprehensive about jumping back into the full fixed multi Assault Ship. Maybe sometime this weekend. I want to feel somewhat back to normal before the Salome event (who I still don't really know who that is but whatever. Sounds fun).

I guess I still don't "get" the new camera system. I liked the old one where it was like a droid that you flew around. Can you do that with the new one and I'm just missing something with it?

Derrick on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't think there's anything you could do with the old that you can't with the new. It's a straight up improvement.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    As with all things ObsidianAnt has a video on Salomé.

https://youtu.be/kjGXLDzIljs

tl;dr

Salomé is Kahina Loren. An Imperial Senator/nobility/whatevs that disappeared for awhile and came back after uncovering a scary galactic conspiracy. The details of which she'll share (April 29th) provided she survives long enough to tell the tale (from the sounds of it involving Formidine Rift, aliens, and probably soap).

That last part is where players come in. Groups are already forming to protect her and no doubt there'll be other players trying to kill her. Meanwhile the Empire and Federation are both none too keen on seeing her live and the Alliance sees an opportunity.

Axen on
  • Options
    I'm really pleased with the upcoming multicrew changes. I'm surprised that the idea of restricting utilities and hardpoints didn't come up in the beta, but it's possible they were just putting out too many fires on the server ops side to tweak it.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm really pleased with the upcoming multicrew changes. I'm surprised that the idea of restricting utilities and hardpoints didn't come up in the beta, but it's possible they were just putting out too many fires on the server ops side to tweak it.

I think it may have been difficult to separate out the utilities from the hardpoints in a technical sense. I'm thinking it's because you can use them in fire groups which may have made separating the functions a decent bit of work.

I'm glad they're changing it. Even playing with friends, I don't want people messing around with my heatsink to SCB ratio.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I think it may have been difficult to separate out the utilities from the hardpoints in a technical sense. I'm thinking it's because you can use them in fire groups which may have made separating the functions a decent bit of work.

I'm glad they're changing it. Even playing with friends, I don't want people messing around with my heatsink to SCB ratio.

Yeah, that and deploying hardpoints and laying waste to everything around them while I'm trying to cruise into a station would be my main worries.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Even without meaning to be malicious, I had a problem where I was trying to run and the gunner kept deploying the hardpoints by mistake (because they had firing deploy on). I don't really see why the gunner would need to be able to deploy or undeploy so I'll leave that setting off.

SCBs and heatsinks I could see with a regular group, but generally I want to have those in my own control.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I should do some mutlicrew with folks here. I'd be leeching off your bigger/better ships though :p

• Options
    I'm ok with that.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    So I went ahead a started a Private Group. I know a lot of people here generally play Solo, but the Private Group comes with all the benefits of Solo with the added bonus of having other PAers flying around. Little reason not to always load up in the Private Group instead of Solo. Also nobody actually "hosts" the Private Group so even if I'm not online everyone else can still tool around the galaxy.

Just send a friend invite to Axen Moon and I'll be sure to add you as soon as I can.

edit- Actually I think you have to go to Friends and Private Groups, select the Groups tab and search for Axen Moon. Been awhile so not 100% on it.

I've had a few people ask me how I changed my HUD colors. So I figure I'll just post what you need here.
    For reference mine looks like this;
    wc7Yzeh.jpg

First you'll need Dr. Kaii's ED Profiler and here is the thread on it. Technically you can do all this by hand, but the profiler makes it super easy.

Next I recommend checking out NO2O! The Definitive List of color presets complete with screenshots. You can certainly expirement with your own values, but that thread has numerous tried and true setups and chances are one of em will catch your fancy.

edit- Oh yeah, the ED Profiler actually comes with all the NO2O! presets.

Some other random things.

Sidewinder Radio is a good "in-universe" radio station. They mostly play electronica, dubstep, British pop, etc. My favorite part is the awesomely done commercials and the Galnet News updates. Kinda handy to keep you in the loop.

Lave Radio is a great podcast in which they discuss all sorts of ED related topics. From general mechanics, upcoming patches, lore and other fun nonsense. They also have their own streaming radio station with commercials and updates.

I usually listen to Sidewinder Radio and will switch to Lave Radio podcast as they come out.

Elite: Dangerous Database is an insanely useful website. With it you can find the most likely locations for anything nearest to you. I say "most likely" because things do update and change from time to time so the info may not be up-to-date. Still, it has proved to be incredibly useful to me for locating ships, commodities, anything really.

Axen on
  • Options
    I'm up for a PA private group

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Would it be a PvE thing?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Yeah PvE. I mean it'd just be us PAers (and your friends if you want).

Basically a thing for all of us who typically do Solo to have PA folks to chat with, team up with and multicrew with.

edit- Also I set the group to quick join, which means you just have to search for it and join it. I don't expect there to be any problems, but if there is let me know.

Axen on
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Totally up for this, next opportunity I get will happily play in the group.

Went in search of alien wreckage the other day, followed co-ordinates. Nothing there on the lat-long co-ordinates.

Also on a planet, crashed ship came up on the nav, dropped in on it-flew down to it several times and nothing. :(

Did frontier clean up some of the sites?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    +1 to being down for a PA Private Group!

My VKB T-Rudder Pedals are at home. Waiting for me. Taunting me. Five days till I get off work to finally try them o_o

Also five days until I embark on Engineer-a-palooza! May my sanity survive my desire for a Super Vulture.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I actually quite enjoyed Engineer-A-Palooza, aside from the occasional roadblock. You just have to be zen about it.

• Options
    Maybe this has already been posted, but first generation ship found:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=W6StOmJ-A4U

Quite a sad little story there....

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    So I got myself a little bonus from work...
    I'm now seriously considering a HOTAS.

Now to research...

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

Now to research...

There is one starter reccomendation tflight hotas x 40-60 bucks- solid solid entry level hotas.

If you are rolling deeper god speed~

@axen i still am not getting kill missions in guy. Do i need to pledge or something?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options

Now to research...

There is one starter reccomendation tflight hotas x 40-60 bucks- solid solid entry level hotas.

If you are rolling deeper god speed~

@axen i still am not getting kill missions in guy. Do i need to pledge or something?

Turns out they're in a state of ceasefire or peace. Last I checked.

• Options

Now to research...

I have nothing but good things to say about my set up - https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-16000M-FCS-HOTAS-Controller/dp/B01KCHPRXA

T16000M Stick and Throttle. The T-Flight is a good starter stick, but this is just a little bit more money and the quality is top shelf.

Stay away from Saitek X55s and X56s. Many (most?) of them have a factory defect that causes the motion of using the throttle to wear the wires and break them. In a game like Elite, where you're constantly using the throttle, well... good luck if you go that route. I hear good things about the X-52s though.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Now to research...

I have nothing but good things to say about my set up - https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-16000M-FCS-HOTAS-Controller/dp/B01KCHPRXA

T16000M Stick and Throttle. The T-Flight is a good starter stick, but this is just a little bit more money and the quality is top shelf.

Stay away from Saitek X55s and X56s. Many (most?) of them have a factory defect that causes the motion of using the throttle to wear the wires and break them. In a game like Elite, where you're constantly using the throttle, well... good luck if you go that route. I hear good things about the X-52s though.

Data point of one, but my X-55 has functioned for two years without issue. It's true you are generally playing QC lottery with them, though.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I wonder if Frontier's actually going to get around to fixing the problem with the galaxy map at 4K (and weirdly enough, 1440p and 1080p with supersampling for a lot of people)--the missing course plotting tool. I honestly thought it had just been removed with the update.

At least they're aware of it.

Now to research...

I use a Saitek X-56--replaced a Saitek X-55 which I broke (literally, I broke it--like an idiot, while camping RES points, by pushing too hard as though that somehow was going to make my Python turn faster and cracking the case). I've had no mechanical issues with it (though I did by a warranty coverage, because it was cheap and if I was an idiot again, I would get a replacement). To return to reliability later, the X-55 was fantastic for ED controls because there's a near-perfect control set baked into the game (better than it would be for actual realistic flight sims), and the X-56 is actually better because of small modifications literally planned for ED during its update.

It's also worth noting that the X-56 is rumored to be of worse build quality than its predecessor--which could be true, but is factually now backed by Logitech, who bought Saitek from Madcatz prior to their dissolution. Neither Saitek nor Madcatz had very good customer support, so that's a thing now. An X-55 wouldn't be covered due to age (and would also be more expensive due to rarity).

I've owned enough joystick and HOTAS sets to knock you're pretty much running a gamble anyway. The safest option would probably a Thrustmaster HOTAS, but you'd also be paying a good bit more--though I've generally heard they're worth it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I should do some mutlicrew with folks here. I'd be leeching off your bigger/better ships though :p

Regarding this point actually, I think that multicrew is cannily designed so that a new player who joins a crew is making the ship more powerful just by being there. Mentoring other pilots in this way is inherently rewarding for the helm. They get, at least, an extra pip. If they have two fighter bays, two fighters are better than one even if one of them has a dumb dumb behind the controls (and fighters are cheap to replace). Whenever i'm going on a combat run, I'm going to open my ship up to crew because there's no real reason not to. That's going to keep the system being used, and finally gives me a reason to try playing in Open.

This discussion has been closed.