As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad Food Thread] "I'd stick with soylent. Never know what chimera that meat came from..."

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    AJ you have finally failed humanity. Refusing to die in the battle of Redbeer Hill is the last straw.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    How pissed would you be to be the person who gets left the tiny paper football sized piece?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0hcW9zafrA

These always fascinated the hell out of me. Does Amazon sell this candy? Asking for a friend

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Also, since this is the bad food thread, I want to disgust everyone with my favorite thing: the V8 red beer. Bottle of really bitter IPA like Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar mixed about 50/50 with V8, add a splash of worcestershire and some tobasco and baby you've got yourself a stew goin'.

This sounds like something super common seen on the prairies of Canada; Beer and Clam. You take a mass market beer like Molson Canadian or Pilsner, and mix it with Clamato juice. Approx the same 50/50 ratio as above. It's delicious. If you want extra flavour use Clamato spicy.

It's popular enough they even sell in cans. It makes Bud Light drinkable I swear.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Clamato beer is gross. Tastes of salt and tomato.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    please don't put ice in scotch.

Nah, put whatever you like in there. Go nuts.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The faves that I've tried were red bean kitkat and the tried-and-true green tea (or matcha?) kitkat.

green tea is better than normal kit kat imo, just, mass ship us green tea kit kats instead plz

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Please don't put nuts in scotch.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »

Please don't put nuts in scotch.

Please don't kinkshame.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    So I got some chicken strips from Wawa

And uh

Definitely found a chicken bone

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Let people enjoy their drinks however they want.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i'm making mead

• Options
    mead hasn't quite started yet because it turns out that 8 litres of boiling water takes a bit more than 2 hours to cool down

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    So I got some chicken strips from Wawa

And uh

Definitely found a chicken bone

I hate that as you bite down or chew into chicken and find a sliver of a bone

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    How pissed would you be to be the person who gets left the tiny paper football sized piece?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0hcW9zafrA

These always fascinated the hell out of me. Does Amazon sell this candy? Asking for a friend

Maybe.....

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I'm not kidding about the red beer thing. It sounds disgusting and awful but I'm sure one of the more seasoned drinkers can confirm they are good.

@Zonugal or @Rorshach Kringle either of you got my back?

NOPE

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    mead hasn't quite started yet because it turns out that 8 litres of boiling water takes a bit more than 2 hours to cool down

Pro tip, unless you are adding fruit or things the antibacterial properties of raw honey tend to eliminate the need to boil the must before pitching the yeast most of the time you can get away with just mixing lukewarm water and honey in your fermenter, just before rehydrating and then pitching your yeast.

Just don't let it set before pitching for really long (like days) because as you dilute honey it becomes more attractive to bacteria, but once you got your Saccharomyces cerevisiae thriving in there it'll fight off the worse nasties and the alcohol will start to make it inhospitable very quickly.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Had some real ramen on my last day in San Diego. Ajisen Ramen. I selected the most prominent item on the menu: Ajessi Best Combination Ramen. Pork cutlet, pork rib, pork belly, some black mushrooms, what looked like but didn't take like an onion, seasonings, and some other stuff in a tonkotsu broth. Seriously delicious and I kind of wish I'd taken a picture. That thing about slurping like a madman though is impossible, the broth is too hot even with slurping. Also I am not a deft hand with chopsticks so it took a bit of time to re-learn how to use them. But it was delicous and I wish I'd known of the place sooner, because I want to try udon too.

• Options
    Help... I am thinking about buying a pressure regulator and stuff to carbonate water at home.

• Options

Pro tip, unless you are adding fruit or things the antibacterial properties of raw honey tend to eliminate the need to boil the must before pitching the yeast most of the time you can get away with just mixing lukewarm water and honey in your fermenter, just before rehydrating and then pitching your yeast.

Just don't let it set before pitching for really long (like days) because as you dilute honey it becomes more attractive to bacteria, but once you got your Saccharomyces cerevisiae thriving in there it'll fight off the worse nasties and the alcohol will start to make it inhospitable very quickly.

the recipe i've got is just purified water and raw honey and then put it in a big pot that's covered with muslin cloth and then swirl it every day with your hands. No added yeast or anything else.

i was just boiling the water to purify it

i'm somewhat skeptical of this recipe, but it seems to say that i can get away with just doing that

• Options

the recipe i've got is just purified water and raw honey and then put it in a big pot that's covered with muslin cloth and then swirl it every day with your hands. No added yeast or anything else.

i'm somewhat skeptical of this recipe, but it seems to say that i can get away with just doing that

Aha. Wild yeast?

That's an interesting idea. I hear that can yield tasty sour meads.

I'd be interested in knowing how it goes

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

yea thats a wild fermentation right there. Yeast is everywhere and stirring it with your hands will get some into the mix. It'll turn out interesting for sure! Its a popular method for Cider as well.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    oh excellent

that actually makes me way more confident now, so thanks

• Options
    actually, there's one thing i'm curious about if you know about it

the recipe said to do it in a huge glass jar, and i couldn't find one of those so i went and bought a huge, cheap, thin (i would guess aluminium) pot, and am doing it in that. The top is covered in cloth, but there's also a lid on it that i put there to stop the smell. Is this bad? is it necessary for the mead to have a whole lot of air? i mean, i know that the lid isn't airtight or anything, and i'm taking it off once a day to swirl it around with my hands for a full minute to aerate the liquid, but i'm wondering if i'm somehow suppressing the process.

• Options
    you should be fine.

In all honestly I wouldn't recommend a wild fermentation for a first go round, but you're already well on your way!. Once it takes off you should be good to go, and you'll know when it takes off, it will build a head on it and go to town.

Once it starts fermenting strongly I would rig up something to keep the lid on tight and run a blow off hose into a container of sanitized water. As the yeast produces gas it will have a place to go, as you don't want stuff, especially oxygen getting into it once the fermentation takes off. You could probably get away with saran wrapping the lid and poking the hose through it and wedging it between the lid and pot.

I've never done a wild fermentation myself, but it is inherently an uncontrolled process at its heart. What is real cool about them though is that many regions, and this can be a small as a home, can have their own unique yeasts, so a mead/cider made at your house can potentially taste different than your neighbors, or friend across town. It is pretty cool.

For the future this is something you would want to use, but with a bigger mouth. It would still allow you to stir with your hands, but allow you to seal up tight once fermentation takes off.

1-gallon-mead-thumb.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2017
    what would stop him from racking once fermentation takes off into a carboy like that?

Also in general glass is recommended because it is far less poreous than other materials and less susceptible to scratches.

Where there are scratches or nooks and crannies there are places where, especially after a few batches, bacteria and mold can hide.

The reason you want to get the whole thing away from oxygen once you got it colonized by yeast is to prevent any other microbes from getting in, in particular there are microbes that can metabolize your alcohol in the presence of oxygen into lactic acid. Then you have honey vinegar instead of honey wine.

Also if I can ask what is your volume and how much honey did you use?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Oh you totally could, just more stuff to buy is all.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Oh you totally could, just more stuff to buy is all.

Oh totally. Just saying a racking cane or autosiphon is cheaper than a large carboy. Would be worth having at the same time especially if you bottle it later. But with a wild ferment and no hydrometer I guess bottling would be potentially dangerous.

• Options
    i used 8 litres of water, and 1.5kg of honey (which is apparently 2.1 gallons and 3.3 pounds)

not sure how i'm gonna hook up a hose, but i'll look into it (also means that i might have to move the setup from my kitchen to the shed if i've got to keep it airtight etc.)

the recipe also says to open it up and swirl it round with your hands to get oxygen through for at least 10 days.

it's also says that you can bottle it up to carbonate it. So i don't think it's supposed to be a particularly strong mead, and it's supposed to be a sweet, fizzy drink, although with a bit of alcohol in it.

But once again, thank so much this is really helpful and interesting

• Options
    With a total volume of 8 litres and 1.5 of of honey you get to a potential alcohol by volume of around 7 something percent. So not super high alcohol. But not knowing anything about wild yeast I have little idea how much of those sugars will get eaten before the yeast gives up. There isn't much way of knowing until you see it flocculate out and check with a hydrometer.

With residual sugars at bottling you could get fermentation in the bottle which is how beer gets its fizz. Just be sure you get sturdy bottles like beer bottles and I doubt you will have bombs.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I should really try some mead.

I don't think anywhere in this city actually serves it though.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I should really try some mead.

I don't think anywhere in this city actually serves it though.

i only properly tried it last winter

there was a stall at a metal festival in the mountains that some of my friends found.

the actual apiary and brewery itself was a 4 hour drive away from sydney

you occasionally see it in bottle shops, but only really the very boutique ones

• Options
    edited April 2017
    It is a very very diverse drink.

You don't just get different subtle flavors from the honey varietal and yeast strain but also often different fruits, spices, grains or even hops!

They first one I had was a hopped one. I didn't end up liking it at all. Too much like beer.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    the ones that i've had were much more akin to something like cider or wine.

thick and sweet, but with the nice sourness and bitterness that wines have.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    why would you put hops in mead

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    why would you put hops in mead

I agree but I guess some folks like the bitter flavors more and are afraid to try mead in case it is more like a cloying desert wine like most expect when they hear honey wine so making one easier to to approach for beer fans isn't too out there.

• Options
    Weird, I'd never really imagined mead as being sour at all. I guess I always thought it'd taste similar to the more fruity kinds of honey.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Most of the weight of honey is made up of fermentable sugars so if you ferment it dry with no other ingredients you get a lot of variety just from the yeast and honey varietal. You really have as much or more variety in mead as in wine because it is very common to experiment with different ingredients that can be less subtle than you can get with just honey and yeast.

My mead turned out very much on the sweeter side and still a touch astringent but has a pretty good floral character under that and a smooth texture to it.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Weird, I'd never really imagined mead as being sour at all. I guess I always thought it'd taste similar to the more fruity kinds of honey.

it's not super sour, it's just not exactly sugarwater. Has a lot of body to it, or at least the one i had did. Like wine and champagne and cider aren't exactly that sour, but they are pretty different to soft drinks etc.

• Options
    If you were to liken it to a soft drink, which would you say it is closest to?

• Options
    If you were to liken it to a soft drink, which would you say it is closest to?

i'm honestly not sure, sorry

pretty much all soft drinks i know of are a) super sweet and b) carbonated

and while the current mead i'm making is gonna be carbonated, i've never actually had carbonated mead

i'm actually curious. what are some good soft drinks (sodas) that are not sweet?

This discussion has been closed.