As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to Fight a High Level Necromancer

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Your backers will be devoured!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Your backers will be devoured!

Brilliant. That way you won't have to make good on your promises. Well, unless they happen to be self resurrecting necromancers.

Either way, I think "Aunt Maude got eaten by the wardrobe that she bought from the Mimic Ranch outside of town" might come up as a hook in a future D&D game.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    A furniture store staffed by mimics. No prices, but you can only take what you open. A test of luck.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    everything's a mimic, the store is a trap

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    A furniture store staffed by mimics. No prices, but you can only take what you open. A test of luck.

You keep what you kill!

0842feb636b6cbb6cf64605bf4df6532.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

You keep what you kill!

0842feb636b6cbb6cf64605bf4df6532.jpg

I'm gonna furnish my entire house in mimic corpses!

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    At some point the distinction between a mimic and a golem made of random crap gets fuzzy

mimics are living aberrations that take the shape of mundane things to trick people. very different than a golem.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    This ranch is only staffed by the best dungeon delvers that need some cash on the side between adventures. We will guarantee not only are the mimics properly and humanely slaughtered, but they will be mimics of the highest quality furniture. When we expand the ranch and R&D budget it may be possible in the future to even raise mimic houses to provide cheap affordable roofs for everyone. Visit our gift shop for all sorts of mimic trinkets.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    i don't think i understood how much people life golems.

I was planning to do "how to fight a high level mummy" next, but maybe golems?

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    everything's a mimic, the store is a trap

The entire store is an Ancient mimic. The game of luck itself is a con.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

okay, but this is very important

if the construct has sentience, of any level, it is no longer a golem

if you disagree on this we must do battle

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Are you conflating sapience with sentience?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I mean, unless the words written give them sentience.

WANDS AT DAWN

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I mean, unless the words written give them sentience.

WANDS AT DAWN

See also my edit, regarding conflation of sentience and sapience.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    god damn wizards and their duels

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    a golem ought to be like a protectron from fallout when it comes to smarts

It can ambulate however you like it to, but if you're not risking a full Prague situation with every creation should you fail to do your work properly then you are infusing an imp or a spirit into a humanoid platform, not constructing a golem

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options

then what would it be?

• Options
    See my post above

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    a golem under the current working definition is a mechanical automaton fueled by any sort of magic, and not operating under any known science.

It's a fairly broad category where typically things are only not in it due to specific clarifications. many undead could fit into the category but because the undead being rules removes it from being a golem it's not listed under golem.

a sapient golem would still be a golem because the current definition of sapient being doesn't remove it from any other category outside of "kill on sight" though it doesn't stop it from being re-added to that list.

The Lord of Under-Mountain for example is a sapient golem, it wasn't created from putting a living being inside of it either, more the spell went awry and in time the hulking titanium golem became self aware and took over the warren. It is not on the kill on sight list because of complicated reasons.

Jake the Roper is also a sapient golem, and is on the kill on sight list because it needs to die for all that murder.

In closing, if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, but can do advanced maths it's still a duck, it's just a very smart duck and we should try to be friends with that duck. and give it tiny glasses and a lab coat because that would be fucking adorable.

• Options
    In closing, if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, but can do advanced maths it's still a duck, it's just a very smart duck and we should try to be friends with that duck. and give it tiny glasses and a lab coat because that would be fucking adorable.

Until it starts trying to raise the dead.
    Then it gets put on the list.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

You dare oppose the Great Necromallard?

• Options

I very carefully did not specify what list.
    Maybe the Necromallard goes on the "Kill on sight" list.
    Maybe the Necromallard goes on the "Future benevolent godking of the planet, do not anger" list.
    Maybe a third list, one involving being the recipient of large quantities of bread crumbs. Ah yiss. Mutha fukin' bread crumbs.

Only time, and the Necromallard, will tell.

• Options

I very carefully did not specify what list.
    Maybe the Necromallard goes on the "Kill on sight" list.
    Maybe the Necromallard goes on the "Future benevolent godking of the planet, do not anger" list.
    Maybe a third list, one involving being the recipient of large quantities of bread crumbs. Ah yiss. Mutha fukin' bread crumbs.

Only time, and the Necromallard, will tell.

What about the Drake Lich?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Two weeks ago the party in my D&D group fought a troupe of actors who had been commanded by a crazy playwright to kill the lord of this region and kidnap his wife. We didn't know they were responsible at first, and during the course of the attempted murder investigation it turned out that if she was dead that was fine as well. After we subdued the group, managing to save both the lord and lady, the survivors told us where the playwright could be found. We dressed up one of the actors we had killed during the fight in the lady's dress and disguised ourselves as the other actors themselves, intending to sneak our way in and take out the playwright before he realized we were a threat.

When we arrived we found an old, dilapidated opera house, the entire place humming with necromantic energy. As we make our way through it occasionally a voice would call out from the air, describing a narrative which would then play out via skeletal/zombie minions. On the stage were a group of these, reenacting a scene in which a male zombie woos a female zombie before a larger zombie brute comes in and pushes him away, laughing before taking the female zombie off-stage. The voice narrating all the while.

At the very back of the Opera House there was a large atrium-style room, with a glass ceiling and a gigantic tree growing out of the floor and having broken through the glass up top. Off to the side is the playwright himself. We introduce ourselves as the bride's wedding party, and the playwright narrates our arrival and the beginning of the ceremony. The body we brought with us animates and shuffles up next to him, and a skeletal priest appears and begins to officiate. It's at this point that we wonder why we're just standing and watching this and attack him.

Our initial volley doesn't take him out and he narrates the guests standing and moving to defend the groom from these invaders, upon which a group of 30 or so shadow skeletons appear and begin moving towards us. It is at this point that my character, the Bard, has an idea. She shouts out in her best performance-speak that the guests on the bride's side of the room see the bride's party attacking the groom and join in on their side, helping to fight the now-villainous groom. The necromantic energies filling the place hear a trained actor speaking the narration and respond, and so 15 of the shadow skeletons turn and begin fighting the other 15, leaving us to continue fighting the playwright.

After a little while the playwright shouts out again that his muse cannot stand to see such a disruption to his work and comes to assist in dispatching the intruders. The giant tree then begins to animate, roots tearing out of the ground and more glass shattering above it as it starts to move towards us, branches reaching down. My Bard shouts out again, that the muse despairs to see its influence bent and twisted to serve such a selfish purpose, deciding to put an end to the creature that misused it so much. The tree stops briefly then shudders forward again, its branches closing around the playwright and lifting him into the air while starting to squeeze him. He responds by using magic to break the branches apart, shouting out that the muse had no purpose until he came along, giving its inspiration form when instead there would be nothingness. The tree begins to move towards us again, its remaining branches only barely being held off by the rest of the party.

The Bard shouts out her final narrative, that the muse was so angry about being misused that a limbo state of nonexistence would seem almost like promotion, taking it upon itself to end the nightmare that its misuse has caused. The tree turns back to the playwright and lets out a loud groan as it tips forward, its branches shattering even more of the ceiling and its trunk crashing through the wall, the playwright getting smashed completely underneath it.

The animated bride and priest collapse to the ground, the shadow skeletons that had still been fighting all vanish. The opera house begins to collapse since much of its structure has been damaged by the tree, combined with the dissipating of the necromantic energy ceasing to hold up the broken and rotting supports. We quickly run out, my Bard stopping to collect up the playwright's notes and rantings. After all he had been quite famous before he went crazy and had been banished. Completing his final unreleased play could give her quite a bit of fame down the road.

That's how you kill a necromancer. Be a better actor than him then drop a tree on his face.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    toenail golem

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup isnt real

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    This court is a mimic!

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Why in gods name would you have a mimic ranch

To get perfect IVs and Evs

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So is an Evangelion basically a flesh golem whose chem is a scrap of paper that says "I hate my dad"

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    So is an Evangelion basically a flesh golem whose chem is a scrap of paper that says "I hate my dad"

No, it's a flesh golem whose chem reads
    "I hate the father of my child"

Same thing, really.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    don't bring souls to a warlock fight

• Options
    you bring bullets to a warlock fight. warlocks are rarely bullet proof.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What about an undead warlock?
    As they died once what's once more?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What about an undead warlock?
    As they died once what's once more?

undead beings have no soul, and i doubt whatever the warlock bargained with is going to let it come back as a wraith or something so it's never really come up.

• Options
    What about a learned ghost?

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

I would say that the process of creating Evangelions has more in common with demonsummoning. Except instead of summoning a force of formless ur-chaos you're instead molding a human soul&DNA and whatever an angel is into...whatever it is you find at the core of an evangelion. Regardless you have a process where you're trying to harness a multidimensional force by forcing it into a specific shape, give it order and by applying order you apply control. As long as the wards hold the shape holds, and as long as the shape holds you retain control.

Hint: If you see a demon start to bubble, bulge or mutate. Run. It might not help, but unless you're a badass demonsummoner capable of improvising something better than your opponents prepared best, it's still your best bet. You also have the advantage in that the demon is going to try to kill its summoner first unless someone gets in its way.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Unrelated to the topic on undead commanders but have we had a thread on angels yet? I'd imagine that from time to time it must be useful to have some knowledge pertaining to killing the holiest of holies.

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Asking for a friend

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    I'm sure making an Eva-unit is more like carpentry.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Asking for a friend

C'mon Tommy, let's go kill god

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    A sentient golem is still absolutely a golem.