Options

I got my drink, I got my music, but today I'm yelling [Job] don't kill my vibe!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm looking forward to being in the office monday and tuesday. Really be able to knuckle down and get some work done without students and other distractions.

maybe come in sat/sun as well, just to blow this holiday totally out of the water.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    We have Monday and Tuesday off for the Fourth. So of course one of the workaholic uber nerd engineers is loudly telling everyone that he will be in the office on Monday but boy oh boy is it going to be tough for him to get anything done by himself. Goooooood luck trying to guilt people into giving up a holiday to work unpaid time with you buddy.

"Dude. Go home."

His supervisor or management should be telling him that, yes.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    We don't have Monday off, but the office is closed, so we'll be "working" from home.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Payday is best day! Then I took a look at my accrued PTO and saw 38 hours had been deleted for "Misc" reasons. This sparked a bit of a panic, went to go talk to Personnel (HR for state service except their job is to HELP employees), and learned that everything is fine and this is just how the system handles the swap from Annual Leave to Vacation/Sick. All my accrued time is just fine and is now part of Vacation. It just doesn't describe that at all.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    So I heard through the grapevine that I have an offer coming for my next career move! I don't know I will totally believe it till i have the offer in hand. Worked my butt off getting prepared for the Interview so it feels amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Just chillin' with the boys

XDrGGZl.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    We have Monday and Tuesday off for the Fourth. So of course one of the workaholic uber nerd engineers is loudly telling everyone that he will be in the office on Monday but boy oh boy is it going to be tough for him to get anything done by himself. Goooooood luck trying to guilt people into giving up a holiday to work unpaid time with you buddy.

"Dude. Go home."

His supervisor or management should be telling him that, yes.

Depending on the workplace they might get time in lieu for working that day.

For a while I would get 1.5 for working a public holiday (we needed dev support on public holidays).

The day would go one of two ways:
    - All the shit would hit the fan and you get to play firefighter.
    - You get a lot done because no other devs are in to bug you.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So my boss comes storming into my office today. At first he was just randomly talking about 'TID' medications to me and my blank look at him probably annoyed him. So after a few minutes of me trying to figure out why he was basically jabbering , I got him to say this:

"Can you change it so the medication frequency TID isn't at the top of the list when they're prescribing medicine? The providers are accidentally selecting TID if they're moving too fast."

"... it seems like the solution to your problem is to slow down and stop making mistakes and make sure you have selected the appropriate frequency. I can change the order to anything, but whatever is at the top is going to always be at the top and that will be the new 'TID' at that point."

He was not happy with that response.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    So my boss comes storming into my office today. At first he was just randomly talking about 'TID' medications to me and my blank look at him probably annoyed him. So after a few minutes of me trying to figure out why he was basically jabbering , I got him to say this:

"Can you change it so the medication frequency TID isn't at the top of the list when they're prescribing medicine? The providers are accidentally selecting TID if they're moving too fast."

"... it seems like the solution to your problem is to slow down and stop making mistakes and make sure you have selected the appropriate frequency. I can change the order to anything, but whatever is at the top is going to always be at the top and that will be the new 'TID' at that point."

...so do you place an extremely uncommon one first or the most common one first? Does he care more about avoiding mistakes or ease of use?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

that's why you make the first entry "Select a Frequency" and make that an invalid entry for the field that prevents you from proceeding to the next page

(I've tried to solve this problem before)

always be skeptical of forms that return the first entry from a long picklist as the mode result

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »

that's why you make the first entry "Select a Frequency" and make that an invalid entry for the field that prevents you from proceeding to the next page

always be skeptical of forms that return the first entry from a long picklist as the mode result

no no, we did have that but he couldn't just tab through the fields.

Right now it selects " " as the default (it's the first element in the list) so if you tab through it it doesn't put a frequency. Whatever, it's not my job to tell him how to do his job.

But what he really wants is when they type something like "TID" he wants it to show an organized priority list with daily ahead of it (so he wants all of the options that have long descriptions to be matched to the shorthand).

He doesn't know how to ask for what he wants though, so I'm going to let him struggle coming up with the words because he's asking for something that's going to take a while to implement properly.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    For once, I was smart enough to plan ahead, and prepared a lunch last night to bring with me because I knew I'd have to come in earlier than usual today and wouldn't have time in they morning.

Naturally, said lunch is now sitting in my fridge at home and useless to me.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

XDrGGZl.jpg

Goddddddddd

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Right now it selects " " as the default (it's the first element in the list) so if you tab through it it doesn't put a frequency. Whatever, it's not my job to tell him how to do his job.

But what he really wants is when they type something like "TID" he wants it to show an organized priority list with daily ahead of it (so he wants all of the options that have long descriptions to be matched to the shorthand).

He doesn't know how to ask for what he wants though, so I'm going to let him struggle coming up with the words because he's asking for something that's going to take a while to implement properly.

users never know what they want, let alone how to ask for it

also somehow I knew you were going to end up at two picklists with one of them derived from the other

because oddly enough that's exactly where we landed

• Options

also somehow I knew you were going to end up at two picklists with one of them derived from the other

I won't though, I refuse.

Slow the fuck down and select what the fuck it is you actually want.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Generally speaking I try to tolerate people in other departments at our place. While they may at times be annoying, they have their own shit to do. They technically are there to allow our department (which actually makes the money) to do our job and support us but they have their own systems and priorities and I get that.

But I curse our IT team today. I curse them to hell and back. Stop asking why this needs to be done. The answer is because your system is too shitty to disinvest specifically monetary amounts, unlike every other similar system out there, but that is not an answer you need and this is time critical. Do my job request fucking now.

Solar on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to being in the office monday and tuesday. Really be able to knuckle down and get some work done without students and other distractions.

maybe come in sat/sun as well, just to blow this holiday totally out of the water.

I'm going to say this as politely as I can: Hey, goose, take a fucking weekend off.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Whelp I'm doing some tablet testing at work today, but my office doesn't actually have any corporate devices so my boss just handed me his. The only pages open in chrome?

Fuckin breitbart

Awesome, great times, good to know.

Sleep on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I have Tuesday off but not Monday. I was going to take time off for Monday, but apparently everyone else in the office including my boss already did so, so I have to be the one at work holding down the fort.

Luckily my relationship with my boss is such that I can give her double middle fingers when she tells be this without any repercussions beyond her laughter.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Turns out I didn't have to play the waiting game very long. I got the Zipworld job! Induction is next week!

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

XDrGGZl.jpg

Goddddddddd

Come to South Africa, I'll introduce you

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So, last day at work today. While making the rounds I heard numerous times, and I swear entirely unprompted, the phrase "they're throwing gold onto the street", so at least people liked having me there.

Also I was walked out by a team lead who ended our conversation with "if I can find something for you here, and I think I can...", so who knows, I might not be done there just yet.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options

I understand in principle

still though, they're users

can't trust 'em

• Options

XDrGGZl.jpg

Goddddddddd

Don't tempt me! I'm out of vacation hours at work...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

I'm with @MrMonroe on this one. It's our responsibility as devs to make software that serves our users, even when our users are dumb. Especially when our users are dumb.

Particularly when user error has the potential to actually harm someone. UI design is the first line of defense.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

I'm with @MrMonroe on this one. It's our responsibility as devs to make software that serves our users, even when our users are dumb. Especially when our users are dumb.

Particularly when user error has the potential to actually harm someone. UI design is the first line of defense.

See, you say that, but they're still going to run into nearly the same issue anyways.

Because 2 days after I'm done fixing it it will be "no you know what, this is too much work, just put it back".

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Thanks to chronic attendance problems stemming from rock bottom moraleas well as the impending loss of personnel when this Samsung plant opens next door, management is now offering double the standard bonus and half a sick day back if you make perfect attendance for the month. If your sick days are maxed out, you get 1.5x the new perfect attendance bonus.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Work seems to be even more of a shit show now than before I left. An engineer just got back from out of country (for the job) was suspended apparently. He's a sharp dude and pretty affable, as well as really hard working, so I'm curious as to what went down. Trying hard to not get worked about the place. Just do some zen breathing and remind myself that although it's a sinking garbage barge, it provides me an excellent opportunity to pick up other skills (and study for the PE). Like I got tabview installed on my machine today. Looking forward to fucking around with that. Might see if I can integrate it with iOS development
    Solar wrote: »
    Generally speaking I try to tolerate people in other departments at our place. While they may at times be annoying, they have their own shit to do. They technically are there to allow our department (which actually makes the money) to do our job and support us but they have their own systems and priorities and I get that.

But I curse our IT team today. I curse them to hell and back. Stop asking why this needs to be done. The answer is because your system is too shitty to disinvest specifically monetary amounts, unlike every other similar system out there, but that is not an answer you need and this is time critical. Do my job request fucking now.

i've been asking for developer rights and permission to install all sorts of software and so far no pushback, unless there's money involved. Our IT group can be pretty cool. Granted that software is like, Visual Studio, and various other tools like Anaconda, but it's nice to be able to get those on my computer without having to fully explain how they might be job related.

• Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    Thanks to chronic attendance problems stemming from rock bottom moraleas well as the impending loss of personnel when this Samsung plant opens next door, management is now offering double the standard bonus and half a sick day back if you make perfect attendance for the month. If your sick days are maxed out, you get 1.5x the new perfect attendance bonus.

Why not just pay more?

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular

XDrGGZl.jpg

Goddddddddd

Man, the things I would give to see a cheetah in the wild. As far as I'm concerned, they're the most fascinating of the big cats, and just majestic as all get out...

So, uh, what's a guy gotta do to be a volunteer over there?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

I'm going to say this as politely as I can: Hey, goose, take a fucking weekend off.

...I am, sheesh.

• Options

Why not just pay more?

You know why

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited June 2017

XDrGGZl.jpg

Goddddddddd

Man, the things I would give to see a cheetah in the wild. As far as I'm concerned, they're the most fascinating of the big cats, and just majestic as all get out...

Can't speak for smof, but
    https://cheetah.org/you-can-help/internship/

tynic on
  • Options

Why not just pay more?

You know why

But if I don't say it out loud it's not true.. right?

• Options
    edited June 2017

XDrGGZl.jpg

Goddddddddd

I dunno how blatant I'm allowed to be so I'm not going to post a link but if you search for "wildlife research volunteer limpopo" we are the second result.

There are lots of options for working with cheetahs or other big cats in Africa but if you are seriously considering it please please please do serious research because there are a lot of very exploitative programs out there which do not have animal welfare or conservation as a priority. There is a Facebook page called "Volunteers in Africa beware" which is a pretty good start point for weeding out the worst ones.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    (heads up: google ordering may depend on your location and previous search history, possibly more identifying info required?)

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    These are good things to know, thanks!

• Options
    If anyone really wants to know the specific organisation I work for feel free to PM me, I feel like a shill dropping the name in here.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Manager started the morning meeting with "go ahead and take the afternoon off"

To be fair, we're wrapping things up for our next release, our QA person is already out for the holiday, etc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Turns out I didn't have to play the waiting game very long. I got the Zipworld job! Induction is next week!

Ziplines, eh? Looks like it's all downhill from here.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.