Options

Bad Advertising [Chat]

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Six wrote: »
    does anyone here know anything about electricity? Sixwife asked me to help figure out a solar pa el setup for her chicken coop that can power a light and water heater.

I did some reading and it seems like I need solar panels and a regulator kit of some kind, a battery to store the power, and an outlet connected to the battery. Then I could put the light and water heater on timers I think.

What I don't really know is how to size all this and also what's likely to go wrong. I don't want to burn down the chicken coop or electrocute myself probably.

Depends on what you're trying to power with the PV cells. If everything can be run off of DC (LED lights), then you might be able to save money on panels that don't include a power inverter. However, it sounds like you'll need one to run the water heater (probably accepts only AC).

Some initial basics on how not to burn-this-motherfucker-down:
    • Don't use the wrong gauge wires for the power you'll be generating/drawing.
    • Don't enclose certain pieces of the system in too tight of an area, but do try to provide some sort of weather protection that will avoid corrosion and rust.

e: Disclaimer: I'm not a licensed electrician, or part of your state's union.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    @Arch

Dr. Bugman, how long you gonna be in the austin area?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I would qualify required readings as bullying.

Would you bully your students if you had any

Absolutely

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    @Arch

@Atomika until Friday but it's conference times. I'll throw my schedule your way when I send it to everyone else

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Berliner, Donuts, Strudels and Muffins.

That's the BDSM I'm into.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Arch when you coming to Baltimore or D.C.? We need to drink and talk of Beetles.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    does anyone here know anything about electricity? Sixwife asked me to help figure out a solar pa el setup for her chicken coop that can power a light and water heater.

I did some reading and it seems like I need solar panels and a regulator kit of some kind, a battery to store the power, and an outlet connected to the battery. Then I could put the light and water heater on timers I think.

What I don't really know is how to size all this and also what's likely to go wrong. I don't want to burn down the chicken coop or electrocute myself probably.

Depends on what you're trying to power with the PV cells. If everything can be run off of DC (LED lights), then you might be able to save money on panels that don't include a power inverter. However, it sounds like you'll need one to run the water heater (probably accepts only AC).

• Don't enclose certain pieces of the system in too tight of an area, but do try to provide some sort of weather protection that will avoid corrosion and rust.

You can probably do this with off-the-shelf stuff for caravans/motorhomes

Plus that means 12V DC which considerably lessens the risk involved

Edit: although that's a good point about the heater. Heating means serious energy which means serious voltages.

japan on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    My AC is going to get fixedddddd

It's gonna be like going north of the wall in here, I swear to god. Solar screens and new AC, it's gonna be like opening a freezer door when you come inside.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I bet I want Evasion and not Armor

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Good morning, my fellow miscreants, ne'er-do-wells, and gravy makers.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Arch when you coming to Baltimore or D.C.? We need to drink and talk of Beetles.

*Shrug*

If I get a CDC job maybe then???

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

I can start fires p. easy with 12V batteries.
    hehehehehe

But yeah, not having a power inverter in the loop makes things a bit less prone to fire, and increases efficiency since Six-Coop would then be going from DC-to-DC instead of DC-to-AC-to-DC (for those of you following along at home: most devices that take AC usually have a rectifier to make it DC again).

• Options
    is this one of those f2p games like marvel heroes that spams you with twenty tons of garbage loot so your bags are full

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

some scientist read the Three Body Problem and was like woah let me try this shit

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    oSzYkgH.jpg

Obviously I'm not going to click it but I dearly hope it just leads to a picture of an alien worm
    actually she turned into the face of bo

CdqeTj3.jpg

wandering on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Got it all figured out for you, @Six .

Chickens are (generally) flightless birds. They're also fairly dense (in a mass sort of way), as birds go anyway, which helps with the plan I've concocted.

The chickens are gonna generate their own gosh-darned electricity, the lazy ingrates.

Chicken's feet are sharp(ish), y'see? And the standard layout of a chicken coop has those lazy buggers walking up and down a ramp from their interior roosting space to a somewhat more spacious, if still fenced in, chicken run.

The ramp's the thing, okay? Stay with me here:

Chicken treadmill.

Every time a chicken wants to reenter the coop? Gotta climb the chicken treadmill. With a specially-designed track that is easily pierced by their little birdy claws, with every frustrating, backsliding, Sisyphean step that any given bird takes towards their desperately-desired resting roost, the chickens pull a track along which in turn pulls a whatever which spins a generator which generates electricity.

"That's clear animal cruelty, Narwhal," you're probably thinking. And, listen, I'm not a chicken psychologist, I can't pretend to know how they'll be affected mentally or emotionally by the feeling that they've hopped on an escalator going the wrong way several times a day, every day, for the entirety of their short avian lives, but I do know this: You'll have the fittest chickens in the tri-state area, and you'll have free electricity.

You tell me where you find a better net outcome than that.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    after watching several GDQs I have determined that the most fun speedrun to watch is Super Monkey Ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJEc7JnrVE

and the least fun is motherfuckin Time Trial mode in Mario Kart

wandering on
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Oh wait I forgot, I saw the original Evil Dead, but I purposefully watched it at like 11am and brought my most tolerant-of-my-issues friend over to baby me through, still didn't sleep well for like a week tho

The original or the remake?

Although, both are pretty nightmarish.

the original

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i could never speedrun mario kart

i need to explore and take my time

• Options

hey @Six
    I had good luck googling "solar power for outdoor shed"

A really big project: http://makezine.com/2016/08/04/upgrading-a-basic-shed-into-a-solar-powered-workshop/

Here's a basic kit: https://suninone.com/product-category/solar-powered-shed-kits/

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Good morning, friends, fronds, foods, and froot loops

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    evil dead 2 is the best evil dead by a country mile

army of darkness wishes it was as cool as evil dead 2

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    oSzYkgH.jpg

Obviously I'm not going to click it but I dearly hope it just leads to a picture of an alien worm
    actually she turned into the face of bo

CdqeTj3.jpg

This is how she actually looks like nowadays (2016 Tribeca Film Festival), along with Nana and Rene. Rene has settled into "old guy" roles on a lot of shows, but Nana Visitor and Terry Farrell still look smoking for women in their... 50s, I think? Nana Visitor is almost 60?? Damn.

nana-visitor-and-terry-farrell-at-for-the-love-of-spock-at-2016-tribeca-film-festival-04-18-2016_4.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

hehehehehe

But yeah, not having a power inverter in the loop makes things a bit less prone to fire, and increases efficiency since Six-Coop would then be going from DC-to-DC instead of DC-to-AC-to-DC (for those of you following along at home: most devices that take AC usually have a rectifier to make it DC again).

I think the water heater will need AC. Its a specific thing for heating water for chickens. I think my biggest worry is not really knowing where things might go wrong. Also she wants to build this with her students so hopefully no one dies.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    wandering wrote: »
    after watching several GDQs I have determined that the most fun speedrun to watch is Super Monkey Ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJEc7JnrVE

and the least fun is motherfuckin Time Trial mode in Mario Kart
    The greatest speedrun is Jak and Daxter at three in the morning.

cB557 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm more of an Ezri Dax kind of person.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

hey @Six

A really big project: http://makezine.com/2016/08/04/upgrading-a-basic-shed-into-a-solar-powered-workshop/

Here's a basic kit: https://suninone.com/product-category/solar-powered-shed-kits/

This is really helpful, thanks! Did you build something like these?

• Options
    Saving @BeNarwhal's post for later. Serious potential.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I was super pumped to not do anything today and then I realized I have a party to harrumph!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm more of an Ezri Dax kind of person.
    aDgEuCw.jpg?1

no actually i liked ezri dax

• Options
    http://ktla.com/2017/06/29/minnesota-man-tries-to-use-get-out-of-jail-free-card-to-avoid-arrest/
    A Minnesota man did not pass ‘Go’ over the weekend, and he did not collect his $200. Despite the instructions on his trusty “Get out of jail free” card, he went directly to jail.

Dakota County Deputy Mike Vai arrested an individual during a traffic stop after discovering the man had an outstanding fifth-degree controlled substance warrant, Dakota County Sheriff Tim Leslie told CNN.

During a subsequent search, Deputy Vai also discovered the man was carrying an item tailor-made for just such an occasion, a ‘Get out of jail free’ card from the iconic Monopoly board game.

I thought this was America!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    wait there are katanas

*reads someone's 2h crit build*

i am going to chop a tank in half for sure

• Options
    personally i think the hottest dax was the serial killer one

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

hey Six

This is really helpful, thanks! Did you build something like these?

I haven't done one but we were thinking about something of the sort at the ranch out west of town, so I'd poked around before.

• Options
    terry farrell looks specifically like a young actress aged up with CGI

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    hahahahahahahaaahahah Roomate is in Amsterdam staying with some family, they're like, her mom's cousin and that lady's husband etc. and she is apparently considering sneaking out even tho they're supposed to go for dinner really soon, since the cousin and her husband were like "let's all go take a nap before dinner" and they went to their room, except instead of napping they started having REALLY loud sex and poor Roomate is just in the kitchen listening to greenday on her headphones awkwardly waiting for them to be done before they go out

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Podly wrote: »
    I was super pumped to not do anything today and then I realized I have a party to harrumph!
    XG2zyXl.gif
    Um3WBoX.gif
    xH4FOSK.gif
    0DXrQ1B.gif
    QfEQ9io.jpg

• Options

hehehehehe

I think the water heater will need AC. Its a specific thing for heating water for chickens. I think my biggest worry is not really knowing where things might go wrong. Also she wants to build this with her students so hopefully no one dies.

If the school has an industrial tech/electrical teacher, ask them if they'll prepare a one, or two, day lesson plan on being safe and responsible around DC and AC, 1 amp can kill, so being responsible in knowing what's connected, what's grounded, if you're grounded, etc, can go a long way. If the school has a chemistry teacher, ask to borrow their safety materials because deep cycle batteries, while often safely sealed, can contain chemicals that are harmful if splashed/leaked onto skin/in-eyes.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    @Arch

@Atomika until Friday but it's conference times. I'll throw my schedule your way when I send it to everyone else

dandy

my schedule is tight but if I can manage I will poke at ya

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    personally i think the hottest dax was the serial killer one
    the serial killer in dollhouse is the hottest doll
    xNtbK4J.jpg

This discussion has been closed.