As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    And to think I just spent a week playing nothing but it just to beat it in time for this run.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    we found the ending cutscene loader if you clip under this rock
    ya ha ha

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    After all the trouble I had with Thunderblight Ganon, seeing how quickly he went down was amazing.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I said it before and I'll say it again; BotW is going to be RIPE for speedrun categories in the future.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Poking around speedrun.com somebody 100%ed that game in one sitting... 33 hours. Yikes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I said it before and I'll say it again; BotW is going to be RIPE for speedrun categories in the future.

its worth keeping in mind that this run used amibos. i expect future GDQ runs will be amibo-less runs for the most part with the odd amibo run to shake things up a bit.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

its worth keeping in mind that this run used amibos. i expect future GDQ runs will be amibo-less runs for the most part with the odd amibo run to shake things up a bit.
    Amiibos will become separate categories.

• Options

it seems to be that way already, but i think the amibo-less runs will become the dominant category. they might alternate between the two at each GDQ but i think there will be more variety in the amibo-less runs that will see those become the dominant type.

• Options

it seems to be that way already, but i think the amibo-less runs will become the dominant category. they might alternate between the two at each GDQ but i think there will be more variety in the amibo-less runs that will see those become the dominant type.
    What will be interesting is if they do a race where people can bring one amiibo to use, but nobody knows what the category of run is until the race starts.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    While doing a little Google searching on some speed run stuff I stumbled across the speedrun reddit which was cool. Watching them dance around the issue they don't want trans people included in the events is painful and rage inducing though.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    While doing a little Google searching on some speed run stuff I stumbled across the speedrun reddit which was cool. Watching them dance around the issue they don't want trans people included in the events is painful and rage inducing though.

as soon as i saw you mention reddit i was ready to make a snarky reply about you finding the one place worse then Twitch chat. then i read the rest of the post and yeah... they kinda made my point for me there.

• Options

as soon as i saw you mention reddit i was ready to make a snarky reply about you finding the one place worse then Twitch chat. then i read the rest of the post and yeah... they kinda made my point for me there.

I know about reddit, although I probably go there once a week or less. What is that quote again... Never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017

Not all subreddits sir.

As a moderator for a Reddit community that just wants to talk about some Star Wars toys I take offense to this. :p

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Damage boost through reddit to get through it quicker.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options

Not all subreddits sir.

As a moderator for a Reddit community that just wants to talk about some Star Wars toys I take offense to this. :p

well sure that subreddit is fine, right up until someone says #RodianLivesMatter and then all hell break loose!

• Options
    Ok so who is the guy in the suit? He looks massively out of place.

• Options
    so there's only one incentive left that hasn't been met yet. another $7,500 needed to get all 32 Fuzzy Pickle Man photos in Earthbound. not long left to hit the goal either.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ooh! the Ness plushie is made by @Eyes5 !!!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    I'm going to pass on the Earthbound finale.
    With that said, this was one of the more entertaining GDQs and I'm already excited to watch AGDQ in 2018.

• Options
    Oh hey, I do believe there is an incoming Edobean to announce during Earthbound.

This is it folks. A few hours and bammo.

By the way, I'm getting load errors from the GDQ website. Lots of donations maybe?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Oh hey, I do believe there is an incoming Edobean to announce during Earthbound.

This is it folks. A few hours and bammo.

By the way, I'm getting load errors from the GDQ website. Lots of donations maybe?

they're bid index page seems to have reset to an archived version. definitely something going on there. hope its a donation rush and hope it doesn't prevent too many from contributing in the final push.

EDIT: back the live version and the photo incentive for Earthbound is less than £1,000 from being met.

EDIT2: incentive met! just the bid wars for character names now.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    The donation counter just grew by a few thousand over the last couple minutes. Has it begun?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    boy, i don't think i have nearly 5 hours of earthbound in me.

might just go back to some vods.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    boy, i don't think i have nearly 5 hours of earthbound in me.

might just go back to some vods.
    It's the finale bro come on.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    mehhhhhh

6am and earthbound isn't a game i really care about.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Finale should always be a Super Metroid race. 5 hour RPGs are not a good plan.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

I don't disagree, but they haven't ever done that. Last few years have been FF 4, 6 & 9, Mario 64, Undertale, OOT, Chrono Trigger, Twilight Princess. Metroid is often second-to-last

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This couch, commentary, and so on is awesome. And I was here for Chrono Trigger, which was an AMAZING run and push. That might happen here.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Phyphor wrote: »

I don't disagree, but they haven't ever done that. Last few years have been FF 4, 6 & 9, Mario 64, Undertale, OOT, Chrono Trigger, Twilight Princess. Metroid is often second-to-last

And honestly, having a new finale game is fine. There's a catharsis factor when running a longish RPG, and plus Super Metroid is notoriously finicky and unpredictable, so you often get some really anticlimactic or blowout races. Kind of a weak way to end the event in which case.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    I didn't know what "fuzzy pickles" was until now when the run got underway. Now I'm on board with Earthbound being a finale for SGDQ because it has an interactive gimmick. :3

• Options
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    That's the first time I've seen the ending to Earthbound.

Shit's pretty fucked up, for a Nintendo game!

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Oh come on guys! The whole point was the photo album, and you aren't gonna show it?

Edit: There we go, though FF7 music.. bleh. =P

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Earthbound is done, and as the "fuzzy pickles!" photos play over the credits, the FF7 world theme is being played over the stream while the GDQ manager closes out the event.

SGDQ 2017 grand total: $1,760,415 and still rising at the time of this post.

Thank you everyone who gave what you could.

Edit - Ah, I almost forgot.

Henroid on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    That was a nice ending.

• Options
    AGDQ 2018, January 7th to the 14th (the week of my birthday!)

See you then folks. <3

• Options
    Not as heart pounding as Chrono Trigger, but a good ending none the less.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    That was a nice ending.

shut up I'm not crying you're crying

the speedrun community is so fucking awesome. I really wish I had the motivation and discipline to participate.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The event is over! I have begun to add recommendations in the OP, but there are no youtube links just yet. You can, of course, search GDQ's channel for runs. Feel free to suggest your recs and I may add them.

Also, you have a limited amount of time to order any SGDQ 2017 merch from Yetee or Fangamer. I believe the Yetee even has a patch that will display the final grand total for the marathon. You probably have most of Sunday to get your orders in, but don't dawdle!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AGDQ2017: HUG THE GOAT!

SGDQ2017: Iwata kept praying.

What a year this was.

This discussion has been closed.