Options

Completely original [Chat] about beloved childhood books.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Man that just sorta reminds me of how when I was in middle school I listened to lots of electronic stuff.

Trance, D&B, Jungle, Industrial whatever you call stuff like Aphex Twin and Peaches and Lords of Acid.

But that was weird back then. People would make fun of that stuff.

Now electronic stuff is the most popular stuff.

It's always so weird how that works. The same stuff that was made fun of is now popular and listened to by those that made fun of it before.

Generational shifts

In the 90s hip hop fans wouldn't even learn the names of electronic genres out of condescension and everyone resented white guy rock n roll for sucking the oxygen out of the room

Now hip hop is on the back foot and flagrantly drawing production techniques from electronic music and rock is effectively in baby boomer-esque retirement

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Hooray, SMN are getting changes in 4.06 and likely more system-level ones in 4.1 (also MCH but who cares about them?)

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I've taken to listening to loud white noise at work, under noise cancelling headphones.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    of note: None of the qualities of dance music that drew people to liking it apparently have anything to do with music

so do i just post pics of Phish lot now, or

• Options
    hmm should I download POE

I remember I played it once a long time ago, maybe with desc and eddy

I played it a few weeks ago

It seemed okay but kind of the same as d2 / marvel / grim dawn / etc

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Aaaaahahahahahaha Call of Duty: Nazi Zombies

Haahahahaaaaaahahahaha

Aaaaahahahahahahaha

*deep breath*

AaaaaaHaHAahaaaaaaaahahahahhahahHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nazi Zombies isnt new

I know, Weird War 2 was a thing.

But Call of Duty going back to its roots with a WW2 game, and shoving that in the mix as a selling point broke me a little bit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    If you're not drinking your coffee black are you really even drinking coffee? I'm no one true processman but black is the one true light.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

It's a loot treadmill. 0/10

Negative, ghostrider

Certainly not compared to set bonuses for d3, either

I'm not sure how you can credibly claim that it isn't a loot treadmill. It's a game of finite length that you play over and over, that is very click click click, and the goal it to level up and get algorithmically calibrated loot drops to fight more algorithmically leveled monsters.

The goal is finding the best mathematical formula to produce damage, which is only 1/5th loot.

Your gem combos and passive skill picks are more important than loot.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    desc wrote: »
    Man that just sorta reminds me of how when I was in middle school I listened to lots of electronic stuff.

Trance, D&B, Jungle, Industrial whatever you call stuff like Aphex Twin and Peaches and Lords of Acid.

It's always so weird how that works. The same stuff that was made fun of is now popular and listened to by those that made fun of it before.

Generational shifts

In the 90s hip hop fans wouldn't even learn the names of electronic genres out of condescension and everyone resented white guy rock n roll for sucking the oxygen out of the room

Now hip hop is on the back foot and flagrantly drawing production techniques from electronic music and rock is effectively in baby boomer-esque retirement

Old school rock, yeah. But I would say there are a lot of indie rock bands taking nods from two major veins at the moment: electronic/dance music and 50s R&B, Pop, and Soul.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Actually not so much.

There IS a loot grind aspect, but it's downplayed compared to D3 or WoW.

I'd argue just a flat no on that

Theres nothing like Ancient versions of uniques

Most builds maybe need one or two unique items as opposed to rares, and you're not beholden to perfect rolls on that item to continue progressing content - you need it because it mechanically changes something a la runes in d3

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I've taken to listening to loud white noise at work, under noise cancelling headphones.

The beautiful hum of the hvac

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

Actually not so much.

There IS a loot grind aspect, but it's downplayed compared to D3 or WoW.

I'd argue just a flat no on that

Theres nothing like Ancient versions of uniques

Most builds maybe need one or two unique items as opposed to rares, and you're not beholden to perfect rolls on that item to continue progressing content - you need it because it mechanically changes something a la runes in d3

Well yeah, but you do need to find some of the things.

But yes, I'd say your time spent looking for upgrades to current gear is minimal.

The fact that the gem system has a mathematical language built into it is awesome and totally nerdy.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    At the grocery store there is this nitro-infused canned coffee they are selling. It is $4.69 a can.

Ohohohohoho I think fucking not.

208115022.stumptowncoldbrew.nitro.front.jpg

this?

actually yeah I think it is that.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    yall will be mad to learn that I get xm radio free for a while with my car purchase and they have a yacht rock channel now that is in slot #1 on my radio dial

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    If the water isn't diamond filtered then what is even the point?

I only drink coffee that is made from the melted snows of machu pichu and coffee beans that have been delicately malted within the chest cavity of pharoah mummies. Also the coffee plantations are burned after harvest and the farmers blinded

This guy brews
    *googles diamond water*

ಠ_ಠ

That's not how acids and bases work.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

It must be really lamentable, to be a queer poc and have your culture invaded by the same dudebros that said culture originally arose to provide refuge from

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    At the grocery store there is this nitro-infused canned coffee they are selling. It is $4.69 a can.

Ohohohohoho I think fucking not.

208115022.stumptowncoldbrew.nitro.front.jpg

this?

actually yeah I think it is that.

it's definitely worth it - stumptown is my go to for beans and this stuff is rocket fuel if you ever need it

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Hooray, SMN are getting changes in 4.06 and likely more system-level ones in 4.1 (also MCH but who cares about them?)

0QfUULI.jpg

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Black coffee of course tastes worse than sugary, creamy coffee and to say otherwise is to deny our base animal urges

On the other hand sugary, creamy coffee is bad for you and so perhaps anti-dessert-coffee snobbery serves a useful social function

• Options

It's a loot treadmill, 10/10

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    If you're not drinking your coffee black are you really even drinking coffee? I'm no one true processman but black is the one true light.

It really truly depends.

Certain coffees are fantastic black, but frothed milk and tar-like coffee come together in beautiful ways.

Some greek coffees almost demand a little sugar due to the sludge-like quality (note the sludge is fantastic but you have to know what you are getting into).

I will doctor a cup of Maxwell House because that is some garbo coffee and at that point I am drinking it for the caffiene and not the pleasure of the coffee.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

More specifically it is Diablo 2 loot treadmill with FFX web level thing but way larger and more intense.

Give me my brain dead Diablo 3 hack and slash any day.

Also Blizz let me use my controller on PC diablo 3. It works sooooooooooooooooooooo well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Speaking of insular cultures, I spoke with a friend last night about his stint working for a carnival and learned

-carnivals are, about as you'd expect, extremely fly-by-night operations and everyone is on the run from the law or child support or something

-carnies look out for one another; a guy he'd known for a week gave him a trailer when he left the carnival to continue on his cross-country roadtrip

-I'm never riding a carnival ride again

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Negative, ghostrider

I'm not sure how you can credibly claim that it isn't a loot treadmill. It's a game of finite length that you play over and over, that is very click click click, and the goal it to level up and get algorithmically calibrated loot drops to fight more algorithmically leveled monsters.

See above

They literally just got rid of difficulties

You say "loot treadmill" and that brings up ideas of like, i need the Ancient version of my Hellcat Waistguard to hit Torment XV instead if Torment XII

You can just play POE Act 1 through 10 organically

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Although yeah gear only matters if your build needs a unique. Ottherwise you do need some basic stuff but you have leeway in gearing.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Black coffee of course tastes worse than sugary, creamy coffee and to say otherwise is to deny our base animal urges

On the other hand sugary, creamy coffee is bad for you and so perhaps anti-dessert-coffee snobbery serves a useful social function
    Except as you age your tastebuds literally die and you find bitter tastes much more pleasant

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    spool32 wrote: »
    of note: None of the qualities of dance music that drew people to liking it apparently have anything to do with music
    you didn't think the appeal of music was the music did you

To be fair, some dance music is p great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd8jh9QYfEs

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

It really truly depends.

Certain coffees are fantastic black, but frothed milk and tar-like coffee come together in beautiful ways.

Some greek coffees almost demand a little sugar due to the sludge-like quality (note the sludge is fantastic but you have to know what you are getting into).

I will doctor a cup of Maxwell House because that is some garbo coffee and at that point I am drinking it for the caffiene and not the pleasure of the coffee.

It's also possible to enjoy more than one iteration of a thing

black french press coffee, good, true

also good, though! Cubanos and Vietnamese coffee and espresso and lattes and soy dirty chai on ice and rather than let our differences divide us, let's come together and tweak the fuck out on socially-acceptable functional and recreational stimulants

• Options

The white noise is lossless audio format for maximum fidelity though right

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Ilpala wrote: »

0QfUULI.jpg

Batman's sexy nemesisisisisi?

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

It must be really lamentable, to be a queer poc and have your culture invaded by the same dudebros that said culture originally arose to provide refuge from

POPPED A MOLLY IM SWEATIN

• Options

This is actually a really good case study in cultural appropriation. That people are forgetting its ties the gay community is the reason it's a problem (not that more people are making and enjoying the music).

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Except as you age your tastebuds literally die and you find bitter tastes much more pleasant

I thought my tastes just shift to fit my outlook.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Like, if your definition of "loot treadmill" is [any ARPG], versus [a failure state for ARPGs with insufficient content]

Then sure

But you're not really saying much if that's the case

• Options
    Hmm I don't think I will cancel my FFXIV sub but I will probably not log in for a month.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

The white noise is lossless audio format for maximum fidelity though right

Are you giving him FLAC for his white noise choices?

• Options
    i drink all hot coffee black

iced coffee is a little more concentrated so i feel okay cutting it with some milk

• Options

Negative, ghostrider

See above

You say "loot treadmill" and that brings up ideas of like, i need the Ancient version of my Hellcat Waistguard to hit Torment XV instead if Torment XII

Yeah, and the Atlas is a mapping system of progressing levels with an actual end boss after Acts 1-10. You can play all the content of the game without repeating anything.

Like, there's endgame goals and people usually play up to that. Then the real endgame becomes building your own viable build that's different enough from others that exist, once you have the resources to experiment with it.

• Options

It really truly depends.

It really truly depends.

It's also possible to enjoy more than one iteration of a thing

black french press coffee, good, true

also good, though! Cubanos and Vietnamese coffee and espresso and lattes and soy dirty chai on ice and rather than let our differences divide us, let's come together and tweak the fuck out on socially-acceptable functional and recreational stimulants

Woah woah slow down guys this is chat

You need to lecture people about how there's only one correct way to enjoy a food or drink without exception

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

Negative, ghostrider

See above

Well still you are going to be replaying the treadmill once you finish all that content. I dont think it's a bad thing its just the kind of game those loot based games are.

This discussion has been closed.