Options

Completely original [Chat] about beloved childhood books.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    New glasses after 10 years of the same glasses
    cxmodwkfopok.jpg
    ijoj73safk0i.jpg

...are these not identical to my old glasses? --no, they have dark bronze frames instead of copper, are slightly more rectangular, and have somewhat different proportions (larger width, smaller height). They fulfill the key requirement of not changing my look.

Congrats on maintaining your look!

(That sounds kinda flippant but I never could find glasses that look the same as previous pairs. So, contacts)

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    starbucks instant coffee is pretty good

sometimes i put that in an old used k-cup in my keurig

breaching DRM on your coffee pods? goobley i trusted you

hack the planet

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    it's 10:30 am on a friday and im mad about the ending to mass effect 3

I'm playing through it with my fiancée and I'm excited to get to the end

just remember, you're getting a multi patch/dlc version of the ending. so if you're like 'wow, really, all that fuss over this?'

just remember: it was worse

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    I keep forgetting that both path of exile and pillars of eternity exist

They are the same Nintendo in my brain

Are they both dungeon games too

One is baldurs gate / planescape torment style stuff

One is diable style stuff with massive maddening skill trees

The skill tree is pretty easy once you realize 90% of it is useless depending on your build.

It's the math that is difficult to wrap your head around.
    I love Diablo 2. I played it so much, 100s of hours. Pretty much all class variations.

So good. I would play it on my i-pad if it was available, and I played many clones of it. Dark stone. Yeah, and others.

PoE is the D2-styled ARPG taken to its logical extreme.

A lot of hubub is made about the massive skill tree, but really, it's not that big of a deal.

What is a big deal is that you can swap out a single item on your build or substitute a single gem on a set of gems that are linked and create a different playstyle.
    But is it on the ipad?

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Cred I also changed to similar style glasses recently!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

The skill tree is pretty easy once you realize 90% of it is useless depending on your build.

I love Diablo 2. I played it so much, 100s of hours. Pretty much all class variations.

So good. I would play it on my i-pad if it was available, and I played many clones of it. Dark stone. Yeah, and others.

A lot of hubub is made about the massive skill tree, but really, it's not that big of a deal.

What is a big deal is that you can swap out a single item on your build or substitute a single gem on a set of gems that are linked and create a different playstyle.
    But is it on the ipad?

The iPad would die.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Man that just sorta reminds me of how when I was in middle school I listened to lots of electronic stuff.

Trance, D&B, Jungle, Industrial whatever you call stuff like Aphex Twin and Peaches and Lords of Acid.

But that was weird back then. People would make fun of that stuff.

Now electronic stuff is the most popular stuff.

It's always so weird how that works. The same stuff that was made fun of is now popular and listened to by those that made fun of it before.

It must be really lamentable, to be a queer poc and have your culture invaded by the same dudebros that said culture originally arose to provide refuge from

This is actually a really good case study in cultural appropriation. That people are forgetting its ties the gay community is the reason it's a problem (not that more people are making and enjoying the music).

Why is that a problem?

It's a problem because it's another way that a marginalized group has their contributions to art and culture denied.

It's a problem because it's another way that a historically othered group continues to be othered.

It's a problem because it's another way the dominant group asserts its cultural hegemony.

What do you mean? Denied how?

How does that relate?

Again, explain.

how many times have we had this argument

do you really think there's some three-line post that will answer your questions, or is this a skoofum style "what i mean by i don't understand is that i don't agree" way of sliding into an argumentative lecture
    Man that just sorta reminds me of how when I was in middle school I listened to lots of electronic stuff.

Trance, D&B, Jungle, Industrial whatever you call stuff like Aphex Twin and Peaches and Lords of Acid.

It's always so weird how that works. The same stuff that was made fun of is now popular and listened to by those that made fun of it before.

It must be really lamentable, to be a queer poc and have your culture invaded by the same dudebros that said culture originally arose to provide refuge from

This is actually a really good case study in cultural appropriation. That people are forgetting its ties the gay community is the reason it's a problem (not that more people are making and enjoying the music).

Why is that a problem?

It's a problem because it's another way that a marginalized group has their contributions to art and culture denied.

It's a problem because it's another way that a historically othered group continues to be othered.

It's a problem because it's another way the dominant group asserts its cultural hegemony.

How does that relate?

Again, explain.

I'm going to be honest, I'm having a real hard time wanting to engage you on this topic due to past interactions. Literally all of these questions have been answered in previous posts on the subject.

I guess there's little that upsets people as much as difficulty articulating their own beliefs

Here's the thing: I've answered these exact questions about this exact topic (and it was even in regards to music! just not dance music).

It's not so much as upsetting as this being a waste of time with you as you either disengage or offer unsubstantiated disagreement.

At this point it's just disrespectful of everyone's time.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

hack the planet

*hacks gooey, rewires him to be law abiding, respectful of the intellectual property of Keurig, and to desire DRM locked bags of mostly squeezed juicepulp*

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I need to get some glasses

the cheapest of bullshit because I need uncomplicated correction also I only get to actually wear out one pair in ten so quality does not matter when they usually perish through being stepped on or sat on or whatever

still though it's nice to not always have to put on contacts

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    it's 10:30 am on a friday and im mad about the ending to mass effect 3

I'm playing through it with my fiancée and I'm excited to get to the end

just remember, you're getting a multi patch/dlc version of the ending. so if you're like 'wow, really, all that fuss over this?'

just remember: it was worse

Oh I've beaten it before

And yeah with the patch I'm just like "why do people complain"

(but I'm like that with specific complaints anyway)

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    speaking of deserts and that rad space art, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is a great desert game with rad space art

I just felt a need to plug this game because I like it

the opening cutscene mmmmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJulumwU9rg

Homeworld as a series always oozed style.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Voltron Season 3 is up on Netflix. Woot!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options

But is it on the ipad?

The iPad would die.
    Sweet, but probably not something I'm going to play with any sort of time sync.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    As much as I get low key genuinely depressed and angry about the extent to which the internet has been turned into s fucking store, I think things like the erasure of whole communities from the art historical record of genres is the sort of thing the internet is very good at pushing back against.

Not just in real time but old photos demonstrating, like, "well actually a bunch of queer kids / whoever were instrumental in making this thing that Europeans later imported and re-sold back to Americans" can be rescued from the bottom of a shoebox, scanned, uploaded, and get propagated out rapidly.

Americans are incredibly touchy about the idea of elitism so there's this bizarre yet constant demand for trivialized novelties to be sold for viewing to people with no skin in the game. I don't know a smiley face way to say that -- people want a cleaned up version of something that needs to be tended inside of a cultural greenhouse by a minimum critical mass of people who are invested, but when you rip the art out of that environment, the yahoos and looky-loos either scoff at what they know is as flimsy a cash grab as everything else they've bought or they turn it into a Disney Vegas shitshow for three years and declare it passé.

I want the historical record to show the people who actually tended to the living thing so that the next generation of people ready to break ranks with the passive audience and start giving a shit will be buoyed by the trail that they realize stretches backward behind for lifetimes.

desc on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    LASIK is dope if you can afford the up front

Cheaper than glasses or contacts long term

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

stop being mean to [dad]

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am so excited about my GBA. What a good system.

Only thing I'm kind of bummed about is the lack of a headphone jack.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    every southern themed show has a cafe du monde tin in their kitchen.
    another fact
    half of the people with cafe du monde tins in their kitchen have never actually been there

In laws brought back a tin of their coffee with chicory

Gross

The french roast was good

The chicory is great IF IF IF IF

You are also eating something shockingly sweet alongside it.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Why is that a problem?

How does that relate?

Again, explain.

do you really think there's some three-line post that will answer your questions, or is this a skoofum style "what i mean by i don't understand is that i don't agree" way of sliding into an argumentative lecture

Why is that a problem?

How does that relate?

Again, explain.

I'm going to be honest, I'm having a real hard time wanting to engage you on this topic due to past interactions. Literally all of these questions have been answered in previous posts on the subject.

I guess there's little that upsets people as much as difficulty articulating their own beliefs, as I said, my questions were in earnest

While you're always pretty civil about it, often moreso than your interlocutors, when you know someone means "that's bullshit" by asking you Socratic questions, it's irritating and can come off as hostile/disingenuous. For this question what you're basically asking is "engage in an extended discussion about identity politics, cultural appropriation, and the various interpenetrative issues with empirical data vs introspection vs unstudied problems vs the lack of credibility of marginalized groups"

That's a big ask! I know that the alternative is to have people bounce their ideas around the echo chamber, and certainly people ARE vexed by how hard it is to articulate the ideas they easily allude to, but that's not the whole issue. To be repeatedly asked to justify one's entire set of beliefs every time the issue comes up is exhausting.

This is why we should make a thread about it when repeated discussions like this come up in chat, IMO, though I know I am as guilty as anyone else of not doing so.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    New glasses after 10 years of the same glasses
    cxmodwkfopok.jpg
    ijoj73safk0i.jpg

...are these not identical to my old glasses? --no, they have dark bronze frames instead of copper, are slightly more rectangular, and have somewhat different proportions (larger width, smaller height). They fulfill the key requirement of not changing my look.

Congrats on maintaining your look!

(That sounds kinda flippant but I never could find glasses that look the same as previous pairs. So, contacts)

Yeah I spent a sort of ridiculous amount of time in the store putting on glasses until I found ones that still made me look like myself. I can look in the mirror without glasses and recognize myself; I can look at the mirror with my glasses and recognize myself--but god forbid I try on somewhat different, e.g., slightly rounder frames and suddenly it's extremely jarring and like I'm looking like a different person. Totally weird cognitive dissonance.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    speaking of deserts and that rad space art, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is a great desert game with rad space art

I just felt a need to plug this game because I like it

the opening cutscene mmmmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJulumwU9rg

it's great, it doesn't hit homeworld 1 ofc but it's a legit strategy game in its own right and I wish it did better so we got more things like it

oh and homeworld remastered is great and everyone should have that too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNRxCbQe5mY

override367 on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

So I've heard.

Also, the week off of work for not being able to be in direct sunlight.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    another fact
    half of the people with cafe du monde tins in their kitchen have never actually been there

Gross

My pancreas just got one of those little hobo sticks and left

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

There is a dongle for that system also, if I remember correctly

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    As much as I get low key genuinely depressed and angry about the extent to which the internet has been turned into s fucking store, I think things like the erasure of whole communities from the art historical record of genres is the sort of thing the internet is very good at pushing back against.

Not just in real time but old photos demonstrating, like, "well actually a bunch of queer kids / whoever were instrumental in making this thing that Europeans later imported and re-sold back to Americans" can be rescued from the bottom of a shoebox, scanned, uploaded, and get propagated out rapidly.

Americans are incredibly touchy about the idea of elitism so there's this bizarre yet constant demand for trivialized novelties to be sold for viewing to people with no skin in the game. I don't know a smiley face way to say that -- people want a cleaned up version of something that needs to be tended inside of a cultural greenhouse by a minimum critical mass of people who are invested, but when you rip the art out of that environment, the yahoos and looks-loos either scoff at what they know is as flimsy a cash grab as everything else they've bought or they turn it into a Disney Vegas shitshow for three years and declare it passé.

I want the historical record to show the people who actually tended to the living thing so that the next generation of people ready to break ranks with the passive audience and start giving a shit will be buoyed by the trail that they realize stretches backward behind for lifetimes.
    And I want my historical records to be watered down just a smidgen. Mostly because there is only so much misery that I wish to consume in a day.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Cred I also changed to similar style glasses recently!

*glasses fistbump*

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    another fact

Gross

like a stack of beignets taller than you are

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

sure, but it's permanent

I'd much rather have the newer stuff like putting stuff into my corneas instead of slicing bits off. Also not such a fan of the idea of the sideeffects.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2017

I bet you J&M have one. For like $80.

edit: or ebay, for $1

https://www.ebay.com/i/331901789896?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Vanguard on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Why is that a problem?

How does that relate?

Again, explain.

Why is that a problem?

How does that relate?

Again, explain.

I guess there's little that upsets people as much as difficulty articulating their own beliefs, as I said, my questions were in earnest

While you're always pretty civil about it, often moreso than your interlocutors, when you know someone means "that's bullshit" by asking you Socratic questions, it's irritating and can come off as hostile/disingenuous. For this question what you're basically asking is "engage in an extended discussion about identity politics, cultural appropriation, and the various interpenetrative issues with empirical data vs introspection vs unstudied problems vs the lack of credibility of marginalized groups"

That's a big ask! I know that the alternative is to have people bounce their ideas around the echo chamber, and certainly people ARE vexed by how hard it is to articulate the ideas they easily allude to, but that's not the whole issue. To be repeatedly asked to justify one's entire set of beliefs every time the issue comes up is exhausting.

This is why we should make a thread about it when repeated discussions like this come up in chat, IMO, though I know I am as guilty as anyone else of not doing so.

You're in charge of the "free will and coherence of holding people morally responsible for things" thread.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I will say, I think Apo keeps asking because the responses to his questions have been confused, incoherent, inconsistent, and unsatisfying, specifically in this area.

I have seen many discussions on this point and never grasped the argument of the side I myself tend to be politically aligned with.

What happens is the discussion starts, and work or time zones intervene, and it is not satisfactorily concluded

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    even if every sentence you post is phrased politely, it's still possible to be inconceivably rude in the the intent and effect of your posts

i think i probably agree with you on this issue, or at least i'm closer to agreeing with you than with tilder

when i say that you're awful and you're acting awfully it's not because i care about cultural appropriation

sig.gif
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I bet you J&M have one. For like $80.

edit: or ebay, for $1

https://www.ebay.com/i/331901789896?chn=ps&dispItem=1

how about 5 bucks with free shipping?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    I'd argue electronic music was always bigger in europe, and not all the LGBT influenced

The dudebros were there all along

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

Yeah, it hangs off the charging port.

https://www.amazon.com/Gameboy-Advance-Earphone-standard-earphone/dp/B002JEUDX4

a5ehren on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    hWZ9IBJl.jpg
    even i cannot understand how this passes as a breakfast

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

hack the planet

*hacks gooey, rewires him to be law abiding, respectful of the intellectual property of Keurig, and to desire DRM locked bags of mostly squeezed juicepulp*

oh no give me overpriced cut up fruit and a machine that needs to be connected to the internet for some reason

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I will say, I think Apo keeps asking because the responses to his questions have been confused, incoherent, inconsistent, and unsatisfying, specifically in this area.

I have seen many discussions on this point and never grasped the argument of the side I myself tend to be politically aligned with.

What happens is the discussion starts, and work or time zones intervene, and it is not satisfactorily concluded

To be fair, subjects like that won't have one answer from [chat], even from the same side. Complicated subjects have varying opinions the more people are bought in to have their say. No one here speaks for all of [chat] on any subject. Ok, maybe @Chanus - everyone agrees he's an immortal older than the dinosaurs.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Man this new HotS event thing really disagrees with me but I guess its no different then the Compendium for The International.

• Options

I think there is probably a nugget of thought on cultural appropriation that I agree with wholeheartedly, but I think there is a lot that I probably am not willing to align with (I've mentioned recently that I've been thinking of buying some keffiyehs, and have as a result fallen down a weird hole of this stuff that has mostly left me confused).

This discussion has been closed.