As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Completely original [Chat] about beloved childhood books.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    @desc the other day i ate a bag of chips for breakfast

hey @desc have you never had a fucking almond croissant for breakfast

hey @desc what about streusels

or pretty much any goddamn pastry

poo
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    There are no bad sandwiches, just bad sandwich ingredients

Like ham, or american cheese

Is a grilled cheese a sandwich? Because American Cheese is required for those.

you've obviously not had grilled cheese with good cheddar, or gruyere, or brie

I have. I wanted to mix American in with them. My poor upbringing is probably to blame.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    The thing with pepe though is that I still see people who are not alt right using the words feelsbadman (which is a pepe reference) and using monkaS and other such emotes in twitch chat

...I still use feelsbadman but I guess only in private discourse with my husband because I understand that it has all these cultural implications now
    i think some stuff manages to wriggle free of a troubled past. Like no one thinks 'Hitler' when they see a VW Bug even tho Hitler commissioned it or whatever

(Oh god when I tried to look that up I wound up on a pro-Hitler propaganda site. Sorry, I mean a site that's "non-biased" about Hitler. Eep.)

05d.jpg
    i dunno where this reaction comes from did i make a funny joke without realizing it

oh maybe 'wriggle free' ties into the bug

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I want to purge my clothes, but I cannot figure out where to locally donate clothes so my unwanted clothes have been hanging out in a trashbag forever and it's sort of blocking my ability to get rid of more clothes

Are there no donation bins near any malls?

I haven't seen any! And there's no goodwill or anything near me, I think...? I've looked before and haven't come up with a good solution.

You could probably call for a pick up. I know being in DC with no car really makes it harder for lugging around a lot of clothing.

I am at the point I have just enough shirts and pants to wear for a single week of work. And about a week and a half of non-work clothing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I want to purge my clothes, but I cannot figure out where to locally donate clothes so some of my unwanted clothes have been hanging out in a trashbag forever and it's sort of blocking my ability to get rid of more clothes

these are all over the place in the DMV area

0d78ajh83nsx.png

usually in front of grocery stores and such

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Beata Maria, you know I am a righteous man, of my virtue I am justly proud

Beata Maria, you know I'm so much purer than the common vulgar weak licentious crowd

So tell me, Maria, why I see her dancing there, why her smouldering eyes still scorch my soul

Hi hello this is Hakks breaking into inform you that the darkest song of any Disney film is also the best song if anyone wants to disagree they are free to fall off the buttresses of the grand Cathedral of Notre Dame directly into a pit of fire

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    100 people were in line for a new chik fil a opening. That just makes me sad.

Isn't that the first one in Seattle?

Nah this was in totem lake which is so far east of seattle for people who live in seattle it might as well be spokane. But its not even the first one in the state.

Funny story about northwest cooking: for my son's last pre-school class we were supposed to bring cuisine from a state, so we picked Washington. Unfortunately, unless you have Applets and Cotlets, Almond Roca, salmon, or washington apples you're kind of out of luck for regional cuisine.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Oh I'm slow, sorry

[Ron Howard] Neco is not sorry. [/Ron Howard]

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Shazkar has OPINIONS about breakfast pastries.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    -
    TTODewback wrote: »
    hWZ9IBJl.jpg
    even i cannot understand how this passes as a breakfast

This is dessert

I'm taking a stand because words have meanings
    Breakfast
    noun
    1.the first meal of the day; morning meal:

ITS FRIED CAKE UNDER A LITERAL PILE OF SUGAR

IM GOING TO FIGHT POSTMODERNISM
    It was the first meal of the day, by definition that is breakfast,

Also
    Fried cake under liquid sugar

Perfect-Pancakes_boraz0.jpg
    Checkmate Athiests

Sorry I've been radicalized by this whole issue and I'm turning to violence to enforce my views on what is s legitimate definition of breakfast
    You go burn the town down I'm going to eat Pancakes and beignets.

*drags a giant can of gasoline halfway to town*

*pauses to wipe sweat off his brow*

Wait ... am I getting the better part of the deal here

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    For me, when all else failed in the past, I just left bags of clothes near dumpsters.

Purging is important! Let nothing stop the purge!

Neco on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I want to purge my clothes, but I cannot figure out where to locally donate clothes so some of my unwanted clothes have been hanging out in a trashbag forever and it's sort of blocking my ability to get rid of more clothes

Is there not a goodwill near you?

0dmsi75b7ugi.png

I don't know why DC is a desert for this

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Your link is broken.

Fixed.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    for breakfast this morning i had oatmeal p tasty

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Beata Maria, you know I'm so much purer than the common vulgar weak licentious crowd

So tell me, Maria, why I see her dancing there, why her smouldering eyes still scorch my soul

Hi hello this is Hakks breaking into inform you that the darkest song of any Disney film is also the best song if anyone wants to disagree they are free to fall off the buttresses of the grand Cathedral of Notre Dame directly into a pit of fiiiiire, hellfiiiire

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

No waffling around from Shaz

• Options

Hi hello this is Hakks breaking into inform you that the darkest song of any Disney film is also the best song if anyone wants to disagree they are free to fall off the buttresses of the grand Cathedral of Notre Dame directly into a pit of fire

This is a good song.

But "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" are pretty boss too.

And I'm super partial to the classics "Feed the Birds" and "Candle on the Water."

• Options
    collect everything throw out nothing

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Oh no chat is having a respectful serious discussion everybody please arm yourselves with your dankest memes and highest quality shitposts and fire at will

unknown.png

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    rbnc5rycijdz.jpg

• Options
    @desc the other day i ate a bag of chips for breakfast

hey @desc have you never had a fucking almond croissant for breakfast

hey @desc what about streusels

or pretty much any goddamn pastry

I just came here to party and honestly I'm feeling so attacked right now

• Options
    2014 memes are my aesthetic d o n o t a p p r o p r i a t e

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Wriggly has anxiety and Bongo's a monster. I got some real trash boys.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Ironically, shemaghs have become really popular with grunting, shitheaded dudebros, racist dickbags, and Trump supporters

not out of solidarity with middle eastern cultures or anything, but because they see bearded sleeveless spec-for operator guys that they idolize wearing them. There's a specific look that has come to typify the American soldier in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflict (and all the fucked up stuff that goes along with that) and it's basically this guy:

606af94a105f10dbeef22f33114672b1.jpg

See that shemagh he's wearing around his neck? Yeah, a lot of American and other allied soldiers started wearing those in Iraq and Afghanistan for a variety of different reasons (they're practical, for one thing) and because these ding dongs see these totally bad ass dudes wearing them, they want to wear them too. Totally ignoring the cultural context of why, or the original culture they came from, or whatever.

In one of those shitty DayZ clone games that my brother plays, the shemagh is just called an "Operator Scarf". Y'know, it's just that cool scarf that operator dudes wear!

lordie...

the people wearing them as a political statement don't really have much to do with the original culture they came from either, I suppose. Mainly because there isn't a the original culture with them being so widespread back into the region's prehistory.

Also yeah I guess shemagh is the more common term for it if it's via the military vector.

There's a meani
    Pony wrote: »
    Ironically, shemaghs have become really popular with grunting, shitheaded dudebros, racist dickbags, and Trump supporters

not out of solidarity with middle eastern cultures or anything, but because they see bearded sleeveless spec-for operator guys that they idolize wearing them. There's a specific look that has come to typify the American soldier in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflict (and all the fucked up stuff that goes along with that) and it's basically this guy:

606af94a105f10dbeef22f33114672b1.jpg

See that shemagh he's wearing around his neck? Yeah, a lot of American and other allied soldiers started wearing those in Iraq and Afghanistan for a variety of different reasons (they're practical, for one thing) and because these ding dongs see these totally bad ass dudes wearing them, they want to wear them too. Totally ignoring the cultural context of why, or the original culture they came from, or whatever.

In one of those shitty DayZ clone games that my brother plays, the shemagh is just called an "Operator Scarf". Y'know, it's just that cool scarf that operator dudes wear!

lordie...

the people wearing them as a political statement don't really have much to do with the original culture they came from either, I suppose. Mainly because there isn't a the original culture with them being so widespread back into the region's prehistory.

Also yeah I guess shemagh is the more common term for it if it's via the military vector.

Do you think that there's a meaningful difference between an Arab person wearing one and a literal occupying soldier or a copy-cat, though?

copy-cat of the soldiers or?

Yes, as Matt mentioned, the 'operator' fetishism

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

No waffling around from Shaz

He doesn't wafer on his opinions.

• Options
    no desc you came here to oppress

poo
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

Nah this was in totem lake which is so far east of seattle for people who live in seattle it might as well be spokane. But its not even the first one in the state.

Funny story about northwest cooking: for my son's last pre-school class we were supposed to bring cuisine from a state, so we picked Washington. Unfortunately, unless you have Applets and Cotlets, Almond Roca, salmon, or washington apples you're kind of out of luck for regional cuisine.

You forgot cherries :)

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

these are all over the place in the DMV area

0d78ajh83nsx.png

usually in front of grocery stores and such

They definitely exist in the suburbs. I haven't seen any walking distance from me but I wonder if the walmart would have one in the parking lot there; I should check.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    That was one of Lindsay Ellis' better videos recently. I like a lot of her stuff. But sometimes her schpiel comes off as more just a lot of words thrown at you without much of anything behind them. Leaving me completely forgetting what I'd watched after the video.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

huehueheueheue
    she said buttresses

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

I have. I wanted to mix American in with them. My poor upbringing is probably to blame.

it's okay

I'm the same way with mac & cheese

if it's not Kraft, it's not right

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The thing with pepe though is that I still see people who are not alt right using the words feelsbadman (which is a pepe reference) and using monkaS and other such emotes in twitch chat

...I still use feelsbadman but I guess only in private discourse with my husband because I understand that it has all these cultural implications now
    i think some stuff manages to wriggle free of a troubled past. Like no one thinks 'Hitler' when they see a VW Bug even tho Hitler commissioned it or whatever

(Oh god when I tried to look that up I wound up on a pro-Hitler propaganda site. Sorry, I mean a site that's "non-biased" about Hitler. Eep.)

05d.jpg
    i dunno where this reaction comes from did i make a funny joke without realizing it

oh maybe 'wriggle free' ties into the bug

I was making fun of the accidentally irony of your post, though since I'm explaining this I guess my joke post failed. :(

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Almond Roca is regional to washington? I had no idea. My mom used to make it all the time, I figured it was everywhere. I'd struggle to come up wish a unique washington dish, we're kind of a melting pot of asian culture with hispanic and of course all the white people.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    @desc i miss that donut place near you

poo
  • Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    That was one of Lindsay Ellis' better videos recently. I like a lot of her stuff. But sometimes her schpiel comes off as more just a lot of words thrown at you without much of anything behind them. Leaving me completely forgetting what I'd watched after the video.

I'm curious to see what she has to say but I need a transcript of a video, not the video.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I actually don't understand how Vanguard can write long posts about using other's work without attribution and also attacking cultural appropriation.

I have a few different answers to this. I think poetry can be similar to a song using samples. In this case, I'm using samples of others ideas and images. Attributing the line doesn't necessarily add much here; either you're familiar with the source material or you're not, but I try not to write in a way that one needs to know where it came from.

I'm also careful to not use certain voices who have been underrepresented in poetry.

@Coinage

• Options

it's okay

I'm the same way with mac & cheese

if it's not Kraft, it's not right

Hold on Atomika, have you never had stovetop mac & cheese from scratch?

Joy of cooking has a phenomenal recipe for it, and while it will practically stop your heart it's freaking amazing.

• Options
    no desc you came here to oppress

Is that so wrong

Listen white people made rock n roll everyone knows that

Haven't you seen "Grease"

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    the best way to help poor people is to abolish all charity and just give poor people money

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I had eggwhites with spinach and mushrooms and a dash of shredded cheese

I'm basically on calorie restriction in after whenever my surgeries are, so at least 5 months

This discussion has been closed.