Options

[Total War] Roman man-things main-kill each other in Empire Divided for Rome II!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Cancelling my pre-order

• Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    No Thanquol it seems which raises my hopes for a minor DLC pack with lords (from the books) with Malus Darkblade and Thanquol. A lot of people want Gotrek. I not sure he should be a lord but he could be a legendary hero, perhaps summonable like the green knight?

HE could get Alith Anar and lizardmen Lord Kroak? I dont know if they have another LL who would fit better.

I also read the lizardmen short story. All the skinks in it of rank had their own personal Kroxigor. I wonder if that is a skill option at the end of the skill tree, would be a pretty badass way to beef up skink casters. I also wonder what other mount options they have. I guess if they get to ride a dinosaur then kroxigors are a little pointless.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    Holy shit what was that big thing?

Hellpit abomination.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Why'd you link a bad Youtube link? Nothing there.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Holy crap.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Oh shit, new part of the ritual as well. It reveals...
    The campaign intro video. Which has some... interesting information. As it appears to feature Queek and Skrolk, but more heavily features a Gray Seer. Unnamed, but quite possibly Thanquol. It is a bit hard to understand them, but I think they plan on gathering warpstone to summon a Verminlord to go after the vortex.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    How do I watch this video pls

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    How do I watch this video pls

https://www.totalwar.com/ritual/

Go here, and go to the missing word. No clue given for it, but the answer is...
    tailed

Then it will give you a code and tell you how to take the code and input it on your total war account, which will unlock the video.

• Options
    Thanks!

I don't know, I still feel like all this Skaven stuff is a fakeout.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I wonder if they will be adding skaven to appropriate old world areas.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Double post

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Thanks!

I don't know, I still feel like all this Skaven stuff is a fakeout.

What a shocking twist though. Some M. Night Shyamalan stuff right here.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Cancelling my pre-order

Tube agreed with himself. It's very sad to see, like being the only one to laugh at your own joke.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Y'all are crazy. That admittedly awesome video just showed more warp powered Beastmen.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Cancelling my pre-order

Tube agreed with himself. It's very sad to see, like being the only one to laugh at your own joke.

Are you saying that I'm not cancelling my pre-order

How dare you

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    After playing so much Vermintide, I'm now incredibly hyped to play as those lovable backstabbing ratmen

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Cancelling my pre-order

Are you saying that I'm not cancelling my pre-order

How dare you

Tube, I admit I have doubts that you are canceling your pre-order. I'm so sorry to say so.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Jokes aside, what a rad trailer. Very effective at making their entire society look like a swarm of twitching psychotics.

• Options
    I loved the swarm of skaven running forward, and several of them just getting trampled by their fellows.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I started playing first game recently. Because I like challenge, I tried to play in hard, even though its my first Total War game, but so far each battle I fight ends wih my loses as high as the loses of enemy, even when I have twice the army he has. Should I swallow my pride and restart on normal difficulty, or should I just read or watch some guides about how to properly play TW to become better?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Doomwheel ramping off something for a sick jump was ridiculous and awesome. Lots of great skaven moments. I loved the plague priest crippling a lizardman onslaught with a single gesture while casually crouched and not even looking at them.

Also, rat-ogres might just be the coolest creature in Warhammer.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    That Skaven in-game trailer is easily their best one. Opinion, obviously.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I started playing first game recently. Because I like challenge, I tried to play in hard, even though its my first Total War game, but so far each battle I fight ends wih my loses as high as the loses of enemy, even when I have twice the army he has. Should I swallow my pride and restart on normal difficulty, or should I just read or watch some guides about how to properly play TW to become better?

There's probably a lot of ways for you to play better since you're new at things, but depending on what your nation is and whom you're fighting, roughly equal losses might just be par for the course.

What are you playing as, and who are you fighting?

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    If CA can still go entirely off-script and continue the Warhammer world as if the end-times was thwarted, my dream for the second trilogy of TW:warhammer games would be if they updated the setting into the age of enlightenment or napoleonics era? Roll in some parts of the end-times (e.g. a unified elf faction, a shaking-out of the vampire counts and nagash), and push things forward.

In particular, I was always frustrated by the way the settings are so grimdark. They are unwilling to show any cultural achievement, happiness, or joy in the setting. Chaos is always unintelligble gibbering evil instead of something of alien beauty and morality. In particular it seems like they got rid of slaanesh for Age of Sigmar because slaanesh had some appealing, not-PG13 qualities, and doubled-down on creating a setting for 13 year old boys who love violence but haven't discovered girls yet). Pushing things forward to the age of enlightenment could put a different spin on the setting - from middle age squalor and the slaughter of the 30 years' war to later european era that was equally troubled but in different ways.

How cool would it be if chaos receded a bit, warp gods reflected a wider range of emotions, factions tend to use and invoke chaos gods selectively like the dark elves do currently. One could imagine, for example, a napoleonics scenario where Tzeentch and Khorne back the Bretonnian equivalent of a french revolution with or against any homegrown gods, against the empire and high/wood elves as the warhammer world's equivalent of the ancien regimes, with nurgle opposed and a slaanesh-embracing kislev switching sides in the chaos waste much as russia turned against the boycott.

All of this is fanciful of course, but it shows what a rich source of inspiration actual history could have been for progressing the warhammer world and what a shame it is that they abandoned it for their generic, more-readily-trademarked age of sigmar setting.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular

Something to note: you can change the campaign and battle gameplay can be changed independently after you've actually started a game. Battle difficulties above normal just straight up give the enemy units better stats which might be contributing to your difficulties. Personally, I'd set battles to normal regardless of whatever overall difficulty you're playing on.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    My only dislike with the Skaven trailers is that their skaven sound so much less insane than Fylch Sharptail, great-mighty assassin of most powerful Murderlord Snikkit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yf-clyA2qo

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

There's probably a lot of ways for you to play better since you're new at things, but depending on what your nation is and whom you're fighting, roughly equal losses might just be par for the course.

I started as an Empire, because I didnt want to experiment with more mechanically complicated factions from the start, and I didnt progress more than few turns each time while fighting secessionists - so far I just start from the beginning and try to get better at fighting battles.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I would suggest Dwarfs are actually the 'simplest' faction, and the best starter army. Their general toughness makes them reliable and not having cavalry means you get to just focus on mastering the basics of organizing and moving blocks of infantry.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Both their general toughness, high leadership and their focus on using blocks of infantry to support a static fighting line makes dwarfs a good starting faction.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Agreed with the Dwarven point above.

In an Empire vs. Empire battle, if one side doesn't have overwhelming numerical, tactical, or troop quality superiority, then roughly equal losses is going to make sense (e.g., a unit of regular spearmen fighting another unit of regular spearman is, by definition, an even fight). So, you'll need to get one (or more!) of those before you start swinging battles your way. The first thing to do is to invest in some extra crossbowmen and learn how to use them effectively (including how to swing them around for flanking shots after melee is joined; this'll work well for dwarves, too). Then, get good at using your starter cavalry unit to disrupt things (not as useful for a dwarven playthrough).

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    If CA can still go entirely off-script and continue the Warhammer world as if the end-times was thwarted, my dream for the second trilogy of TW:warhammer games would be if they updated the setting into the age of enlightenment or napoleonics era? Roll in some parts of the end-times (e.g. a unified elf faction, a shaking-out of the vampire counts and nagash), and push things forward.

In particular, I was always frustrated by the way the settings are so grimdark. They are unwilling to show any cultural achievement, happiness, or joy in the setting. Chaos is always unintelligble gibbering evil instead of something of alien beauty and morality. In particular it seems like they got rid of slaanesh for Age of Sigmar because slaanesh had some appealing, not-PG13 qualities, and doubled-down on creating a setting for 13 year old boys who love violence but haven't discovered girls yet). Pushing things forward to the age of enlightenment could put a different spin on the setting - from middle age squalor and the slaughter of the 30 years' war to later european era that was equally troubled but in different ways.

How cool would it be if chaos receded a bit, warp gods reflected a wider range of emotions, factions tend to use and invoke chaos gods selectively like the dark elves do currently. One could imagine, for example, a napoleonics scenario where Tzeentch and Khorne back the Bretonnian equivalent of a french revolution with or against any homegrown gods, against the empire and high/wood elves as the warhammer world's equivalent of the ancien regimes, with nurgle opposed and a slaanesh-embracing kislev switching sides in the chaos waste much as russia turned against the boycott.

All of this is fanciful of course, but it shows what a rich source of inspiration actual history could have been for progressing the warhammer world and what a shame it is that they abandoned it for their generic, more-readily-trademarked age of sigmar setting.

Slaneesh is about excess; over the years some have taken that as only being about boobs and sexy times excess when I'm pretty sure it was not always the case.

So I'm not surprised Slaneesh got cut out of the story (for now) while GW comes up with a better way to give her a better identity.

With regards to things always being grim dark, that isn't the case in AoS where the story seems to progress and you actually see Chaos being pushed back.

You can see that in 40k as well where forces of Order have seen some proper heroes being released (it'll be interesting to see what happens after the global campaign).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

I would do both.

The primary reason to play higher difficulties is because the enemy AI is bad on the strategic layer and the boosts that it provides makes it more reasonable. Additionally this locks in buffs for enemy units on the tactical layer which make the combat in the game hard in a way that can be not fun; especially if you are not exploiting enemy AI patterns*.

However strategic difficulty has changed as the game has expanded. The increased number of factions and the addition of Regiments of Renown have made the strategic layer much harder than it used to be. (If you don't have them).

Moreover a number of mods fix the major problems with enemy AI. Specifically by changing enemy build priority to have higher tier units and by giving the enemy enough building slots to do so. And while these also give yourself a buff they primarily give the enemies a larger one.

That being said there are some aspects of the game that are effectively removed on normal. The most important one is public order. While enemies get public order bonuses on hard and up you get public order penalties. The size of the bonuses are pretty large, enough to mean that it's almost impossible to intentionally create a rebellion in an enemy province on very hard or similarly to mean that you will have to deal with rebellions even if the enemy is doing nothing to you unless you manage public order well.

I would suggest first reading my guide "kv_rules and so will you" first and then watching party elites into videos (specifically the ones about unit formations and oblique order) as a good starting point

* as an example the enemy will chase your skirmish cavalry which lets you easily separate and kill enemy infantry or ranged units by rear charging them with other skirmish cav. However the enemy will not melee with their skirmish cav so you can just stick a unit of archers in each and watch as the enemy dies.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I started as an Empire, because I didnt want to experiment with more mechanically complicated factions from the start, and I didnt progress more than few turns each time while fighting secessionists - so far I just start from the beginning and try to get better at fighting battles.

Inexplicably Empire is one of the harder factions to play because a lot of factions want you dead.

As others have mentioned, Dwarves are actually simpler. I also found Vampires pretty easy to get into (you don't need to manage ranged units at all and can replenish your army with cheap skeletons and zombies all the time). Vampiric Corruption is a little weird at first, but not too hard to get down.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Something to note: you can change the campaign and battle gameplay can be changed independently after you've actually started a game. Battle difficulties above normal just straight up give the enemy units better stats which might be contributing to your difficulties. Personally, I'd set battles to normal regardless of whatever overall difficulty you're playing on.

Something to note: you cannot actually do this; the slider is broken and only gives a minor leadership bonus.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Something to note: you cannot actually do this; the slider is broken and only gives a minor leadership bonus.

So if you start on Very hard and lower the battle difficulty to Hard using the slider, does it replace the very hard difficulty with a broken minor leadership bonus? Does it do nothing at all, or some other alternative?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I played a super quick game of Wood Elves, reminding myself that I love the Wood Elves. I wanted to try winning without ever taking territory outside of Athel Loren. Not only does it work, I think it's my favourite way to play them.

You can't just sit and press space bar though. First you have to send scouts out to find as many factions as possible, then you have to manage your diplomacy. Find out who the big factions (you want Empire and Dwarves/Greenskins because they confederate) hate, and declare war on them. That'll buy you some credit. To get that coveted military alliance though, you have to send out ranging armies. Help your side win the badlands, firstly so they'll ally with you and secondly so that they get more territory and you get more amber. The early going is really rough, because the other Elves fucking hate you and you don't have much cash, but those ranging missions can get you some crazy money from razing the enemy.

A+ playthrough would play again (as Durthu)

• Options
    edited August 2017
    There is a German magazine detailing some of the Skaven gameplay features.

http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/total-war-warhammer-2-endlich-vorgestellt-die-skaven-sind-das-vierte-volk,3318466.html

I can't read it myself, but apparently it mentions that Skaven cities are invisible to non-Skaven, Skaven will have food supply as a special resource due to their ridiculous hunger, they spread corruption that is not entirely safe for them either, and apparently bribing Skaven lords is important.

Iblis on
This discussion has been closed.