As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Path of Fire expansion to be released on Sept 22!

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Thinking of trying for Chuka and Champawat. Slowly gathering the ascended wood daily things to craft The Hunt.

Any tips for this one? Looking at the wiki I think I need to complete masteries for Tyria- Legendary Crafting, and Maguuma- Itzel and Nuhoch (only two aside from raid that are not done).

Speaking of the masteries, I've gotten most (if not all) of the in-map insights in HoT, and the ones from HoT story, so are adventures the main source for those now (since I've done like, 2-3 of those)?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the drop rate for exotics (from mobs, bags anything) absolute shit?

I think in the entire time I've played this game since launch, I've gotten maybe 3 exotic drops total (all things I didn't want, of course).

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Thinking of trying for Chuka and Champawat. Slowly gathering the ascended wood daily things to craft The Hunt.

Any tips for this one? Looking at the wiki I think I need to complete masteries for Tyria- Legendary Crafting, and Maguuma- Itzel and Nuhoch (only two aside from raid that are not done).

Speaking of the masteries, I've gotten most (if not all) of the in-map insights in HoT, and the ones from HoT story, so are adventures the main source for those now (since I've done like, 2-3 of those)?

Check the achievements list, strongboxes, adventures will give you more mastery points. There is a few other ones too but likely if you did the story you nabbed those.
    Darmak wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the drop rate for exotics (from mobs, bags anything) absolute shit?

I think in the entire time I've played this game since launch, I've gotten maybe 3 exotic drops total (all things I didn't want, of course).

I have had better luck than that, but with all the bags, chests etc etc etc that one gets now I rarely see exotics drop, maybe an exotic non named armor or weapon every few hundred bags.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    LS3 will also give you a bunch if you don't plan to level it's specific mastery right away.

Dragon's Stand basically gives you a mastery point for everything.

Adellios on
  • Options
    Adellios wrote: »
    LS3 will also give you a bunch if you don't plan to level it's specific mastery right away.

Dragon's Stand basically gives you a mastery point for everything.

I used the LS3 ones for the LS3 masteries (need one more point for Siren of Orr). This was before realizing I'd started C&C and just needed to craft The Hunt.

Will check the cheevos but I'm guessing the adventures will be the bulk of what I'm missing. Do you just need bronze to get the mastery point for each one now?

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    No, you get a mastery for silver and a mastery for gold. You dont get any for bronze.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    No, you get a mastery for silver and a mastery for gold. You dont get any for bronze.

Ah, thank you. Will have to hunt those down at some point.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Check the achievements list, strongboxes, adventures will give you more mastery points. There is a few other ones too but likely if you did the story you nabbed those.

I have had better luck than that, but with all the bags, chests etc etc etc that one gets now I rarely see exotics drop, maybe an exotic non named armor or weapon every few hundred bags.

I see a fair number of exotics drop but it's generally not from bags. It's usually from things like the loot chest physically located in the world after a TD or DS meta, the big orb chests in AB, or fractal reward chests (both the physical one at the end and the bouncy chests from dailies).

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

I see a fair number of exotics drop but it's generally not from bags. It's usually from things like the loot chest physically located in the world after a TD or DS meta, the big orb chests in AB, or fractal reward chests (both the physical one at the end and the bouncy chests from dailies).

Yea.. I tend to do metas a fair but I should be jumping into fractals more.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    As I'm going to be on very limited time between now and PoF (and not here on Sat probably *sniff*), I thought I'd do a final pre-PoF project status!

Legendary armour 4 and 5
    Plan: Get non "just money" bits done
    Reality: Made part 4! Part 5 non-money stuff done

Aurora
    Plan: Get non "just money" bits done
    Reality: Done!

Misc
    Get all toons HoF elites unlocked - Done!
    Kill Xera (again) in an unbugged kill - Done! :D
    Frac 100cm - Nope :(

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Just crafted my first piece of ascended armor last night (just the chest piece), and finished my ascended axe. Mirage is a go!

Only a couple of days left, so my other characters will just have to roll exotics into PoF. I've been on a mini-break this week so I can hit the game hard this weekend.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So I just started playing again 'cause an Arenanet person I know mentioned the expansion. Last night I didn't really have time to dedicate to boss runs, so I just started exploring.

Then a bunch of things happened and at 2am I was looking at the corpse of the Mouth of Mordremoth.

Whoops.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    I'm only now getting around to doing the Siren's Landing stuff, and I feel bad for putting it off for so long. This zone seems neat.

And tonight I finished the story missions.

Oh god, that dialogue. D:

• Options
    edited September 2017

Of course I get an exotic drop last night...

this fucking thing...
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stardust

thanks ill add that to the pile of that goddamn bow that I already have.

Oh and regarding the expansion, is it midnight tonight, or like during the day tomorrow, I might feel a cold coming on if it is midnight :D

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

this fucking thing...

Oh and regarding the expansion, is it midnight tonight, or like during the day tomorrow, I might feel a cold coming on if it is midnight :D

It's noon EDT tomorrow. :(

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »

this fucking thing...

Hmm thats not too bad, I'm MST so 10:00am is when I can start being the best little Asura Deadeye in the world.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I finally have time for this again!

• Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Taranis wrote: »

this fucking thing...

Hmm thats not too bad, I'm MST so 10:00am is when I can start being the best little Asura Deadeye in the world.

I was hoping they'd launch it at 12:00 UTC or in a few hours. The daylight isn't conducive to scourging and I don't want to wait.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    I'm wondering if the new elite specs will be available from the get-go. You were able to start putting points into them as soon as you hit Verdant Brink in HoT, weren't you?

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So very excited for this! Tomorrow at work is going to draaaag by, BUT I get to play all night on Fri and Sat!

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    good lord this took forever and I'm thoroughly burned out. I've basically given up on getting HOPE because this was already such a horrible grind. Probably going to take a 6 month break from the game again, or at least until PoF goes on sale.

but the point is that I finally have The Ascension
    gKQVu3U.jpg

IRwcZAs.jpg

wNv1yo9.jpg

w59sgAN.jpg

X8eupg0.jpg

Also as a condigineer I don't usually use the Predator, but it's the only other Legendary I have right now and it looks nice in screenshots, so there.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if the new elite specs will be available from the get-go. You were able to start putting points into them as soon as you hit Verdant Brink in HoT, weren't you?

I also couldn't remember if it unlocked just for being 80 or if you had to finish the first quest in HoT. Wiki says you just have to be 80 and have all other specializations trained.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    NOON EDT?
    Boo. I took tomorrow off! =p

Very exciting! Super torn on what to play. My main has been my Necro for a long time now, but damn that Holosmith was cool in the beta test.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    It's kind of lame, it seems like PoF is being ignored by alot of media and YT channels that aren't completely MMO focused. I hope Anet has done enough marketing for this.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    It's kind of lame, it seems like PoF is being ignored by alot of media and YT channels that aren't completely MMO focused. I hope Anet has done enough marketing for this.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of marketing. It does seem to be pretty focused on the MMO crowd which does make sense honestly. The game market is different now compared to a decade ago with MMOs being in decline with the rise of MOBAs and Guild Wars 2 is one of the only MMOs still kicking without some hook based on a non-MMO IP to try to draw in non-MMO players. ESO could spur interest in TES players in general and hit Morrowind lovers big by resurrecting that setting, FF14 can show off homages to past games and the series mythos, WoW is WoW, but GW2 is a harder sell to non-MMO players. The name doesn't really make that much sense anymore given how we don't really see guilds involved in wars in standard gameplay and makes it come across as much more PvP focused than it is.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I just got an e-mail, looked at what was coming in the expansion and grabbed both.

I could use a guild invite, on anonthefelon.8951

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

There doesn't seem to be a ton of marketing. It does seem to be pretty focused on the MMO crowd which does make sense honestly. The game market is different now compared to a decade ago with MMOs being in decline with the rise of MOBAs and Guild Wars 2 is one of the only MMOs still kicking without some hook based on a non-MMO IP to try to draw in non-MMO players. ESO could spur interest in TES players in general and hit Morrowind lovers big by resurrecting that setting, FF14 can show off homages to past games and the series mythos, WoW is WoW, but GW2 is a harder sell to non-MMO players. The name doesn't really make that much sense anymore given how we don't really see guilds involved in wars in standard gameplay and makes it come across as much more PvP focused than it is.

I also think the current director at ArenaNet is gun-shy about advertising for a lot of reasons, and that they're a much smaller company than, say, Blizzard, Squeenix, or ZeniMax (in that NCSoft doesn't give them money to do advertising, afaik)

The gun-shyness arose from the fact that ArenaNet's last few attempts at advertising have been... uhhh... fucking terrible. Their launch trailer was this weird-ass travesty, then they had the taxi incident, and then while HoT's advertising was great... they over-promised for that and then proceeded to under-deliver, which led to their current state of "Let's just not talk about any features at all whatsoever because if nobody knows what we're delivering, they can't accuse us of under-delivering."

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options

I also think the current director at ArenaNet is gun-shy about advertising for a lot of reasons, and that they're a much smaller company than, say, Blizzard, Squeenix, or ZeniMax (in that NCSoft doesn't give them money to do advertising, afaik)

The gun-shyness arose from the fact that ArenaNet's last few attempts at advertising have been... uhhh... fucking terrible. Their launch trailer was this weird-ass travesty, then they had the taxi incident, and then while HoT's advertising was great... they over-promised for that and then proceeded to under-deliver, which led to their current state of "Let's just not talk about any features at all whatsoever because if nobody knows what we're delivering, they can't accuse us of under-delivering."

wow.. that was a shitty trailer.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    StorkStork Registered User regular
    Returning to this and leveled up a new ranger for the expansion (had an elementalist at cap but I didn't think it would be a lot of fun trying to re-learn the rotations after so long away). I was in one of the former PA guilds that kooleagle is still the leader of but inadvertantly dropped it. Would like an invite to [NICE], Stork.3568.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Argh! The hype is real I guess. Time to dust off the ol' Engi.

I, too, would like a reinvite back to NICE if space is available: Longthought.7965

Thanks! =)

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    I just got an e-mail, looked at what was coming in the expansion and grabbed both.

Welcome back! Invite sent.
    Stork wrote: »
    Returning to this and leveled up a new ranger for the expansion (had an elementalist at cap but I didn't think it would be a lot of fun trying to re-learn the rotations after so long away). I was in one of the former PA guilds that kooleagle is still the leader of but inadvertantly dropped it. Would like an invite to [NICE], Stork.3568.

That must have been a really old PA guild, the only ones I remember were the ones when GW2 launched because of the guild member cap. Anyways, invited :)

• Options
    Argh! The hype is real I guess. Time to dust off the ol' Engi.

I, too, would like a reinvite back to NICE if space is available: Longthought.7965

Thanks! =)

Plenty of space. Invite sent!

• Options

It would honestly be tough to talk about some of the features to non-GW2 players too. Mounts are a big deal and more involved than the implementations of them in other games but the average MMO player is going to think the game must be really behind the times if they're just now introducing mounts and touting it as a major feature.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    StorkStork Registered User regular
    Geod wrote: »

Welcome back! Invite sent.
    Stork wrote: »

That must have been a really old PA guild, the only ones I remember were the ones when GW2 launched because of the guild member cap. Anyways, invited :)

Yeah, that guild was from like day 1, overflow from member cap sounds about right. Thanks!

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

It's certainly not getting nearly as much marketing as the Heart of Thorns expansion. But then, perhaps there's a connection there. I was still seeing banners ads for HoT over a month after its launch, and after a point I have to wonder about their effectiveness.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Mirage for real, especially after the recent changes to it. If nothing else, doubling the time we have to use ambush skills is a big quality of life improvement.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I heard they nerfed scourge into the ground, which is disappointing. I bought a full set of shaman gear in anticipation of going condi and support too. Luckily it was all cheap so no big loss, but I was really looking forward to it since my necro is my main. I don't know if they actually nerfed it though, it's just what I read in a couple of reddit threads. Since I only do open world pve, it might still be just fine for me. I'll find out tomorrow after work!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Well thats 3 ready for PoF , my Rogue main, my Guardian and my Elementalist.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    ***Standard Release Spoiler Reminder***
    • Do not discuss story spoilers in guild chat.
    • If you don't want the story spoiled then it is highly recommended to turn off all chats except guild and party (assuming you don't group up with silly geese).
    • I would also recommend disabling any "open community" guild chats such as TTS as I've seen living story spoilers dropped in those hours after release.
    • Please use spoiler tags [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] when discussing story developments here on the forums.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    NEW THREAD! Just in time for PoF. Please post there - Mods, please lock this one. Thanks!!!

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/214005/gw2-welcome-to-elona-path-of-fire-expansion-releases-today-at-noon-est/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.