Options

[Jobs]: The Reason People Are Stuck In Airports

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Perhaps unsurprisingly (yay family based favoritism!) the interview at the construction job went very well. I'll be starting there on the first Monday of next month after I complete some online OSHA training. So that's a lot less concern about making sure I'm going to have food on my table. When I have more free time, probably next weekend, I can start spinning up the wheels on investigating and applying to unions and apprenticeships.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Get a call at the bar:

"So, you guys have ping pong?"

"Yes, we have a table out on the back patio."

"Okay, cool. Oh hey where are you located?"

"North Capitol Hill, (address)."

"Oh cool, thanks."

"No problem."

Huh. He didn't ask what time we open. I wonder if he'll figure it out, I mean he found our phone number. Cut to 10 minutes later and there are a couple of dudes hanging out in front of the bar and moments later the phone rings.

"Hey, I'm outside and it looks like you aren't open but we wanted to play ping pong."

"Yeah, we don't open until 4."

"Oh. Well I called earlier and you answered the phone, so I thought you were open."

"No, I'm here prepping the kitchen, we open at 4."

"So, is there any way we can come in and play ping pong?"

"Come back at 4, when we open, and you can absolutely play ping pong."

"But you answered the phone earlier."

"Yes, and you didn't ask what time the bar opens."

"Oh, yeah. Okay."

"Sorry about that!"

It is still amazing to me that so many people think that if somebody is physically in the building that they can just come in and hang out. Nope, we have hours of operation for several different reasons and no, I don't have the time or energy to explain all of them to you.

Also, you found our phone number and called to ask questions and forgot one of the most important bits of information.

Do you have Battletoads?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    LaOs wrote: »
    I shouldn't be surprised anymore. I really, really shouldn't. Yet, somehow...

Turns out there is such a thing as a learning curve with a negative slope, and its owner manages the plant Koro works at.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I grew a full beard when I was 19. 1999. It was a giant, unkempt monstrosity. Let’s just say that no one questioned my age, ever, anywhere.

In fact, the first time I ever got carded for anything, it was when I was 22 buying a Playboy at Waldenbooks.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Hey, lady who keeps calling from yelp, can you maybe write down all this information I give you every time you call so you don't have to ask me the same fucking questions every time you interrupt my day?

That would be great, thanks.

EDIT: Also, I am befuddled that people think that any establishment is just ready to open as soon as it reaches the posted hours of business. Yes I am here before we open, because I need to prep the kitchen and apparently answer your questions.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    If you're not open, don't answer the phone!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Get a call at the bar:

"Oh cool, thanks."

"No problem."

Huh. He didn't ask what time we open. I wonder if he'll figure it out, I mean he found our phone number. Cut to 10 minutes later and there are a couple of dudes hanging out in front of the bar and moments later the phone rings.

"Hey, I'm outside and it looks like you aren't open but we wanted to play ping pong."

"Oh. Well I called earlier and you answered the phone, so I thought you were open."

"Oh, yeah. Okay."

"Sorry about that!"

It is still amazing to me that so many people think that if somebody is physically in the building that they can just come in and hang out. Nope, we have hours of operation for several different reasons and no, I don't have the time or energy to explain all of them to you.

Also, you found our phone number and called to ask questions and forgot one of the most important bits of information.

Cool, are you going to show the fight?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Get a call at the bar:

"Oh cool, thanks."

"No problem."

"Oh, yeah. Okay."

"Sorry about that!"

Cool, are you going to show the fight?

I need an order of fries.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    If you're not open, don't answer the phone!

Sometimes it's someone calling to reserve the back room for a party, so I have to answer because capitalism.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hey, lady who keeps calling from yelp, can you maybe write down all this information I give you every time you call so you don't have to ask me the same fucking questions every time you interrupt my day?

EDIT: Also, I am befuddled that people think that any establishment is just ready to open as soon as it reaches the posted hours of business. Yes I am here before we open, because I need to prep the kitchen and apparently answer your questions.

Well, I generally assume the doors will be open about the time the place says it's open, since presumably a place posts what time they'll be ready for customers (give or take a few minutes).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Well, I generally assume the doors will be open about the time the place says it's open, since presumably a place posts what time they'll be ready for customers (give or take a few minutes).

Oops, I phrased that wrong.

I mean to say, that just because someone is here doesn't mean it's opening time.

Like, Yelp lady was confused that I was here at quarter to 2, when we don't open until 4. There's shit to do before we open the doors.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Lail wrote: »
    Job Thread:

I want to apply to a job posting, however, I am concerned that my current employer will find out. It's a small world and people talk. My fear is that I wouldn't get the new job and that my current employer would find out and let me go from my current position. Both positions are senior management type positions that don't come around very frequently.

When I send out my resume, would it be a problem if I didn't list my current employer, just the job title?

Call the recruiter. Any legit senior management position will likely be using a talent professional who understands this stuff. Your concern is that they'll call for references right? Just call and explain you'd like to keep it on the down-low until an offer scenario. It's pretty common.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    The only reason I had to do it was the lady at supercuts decided "evening out my sideburns" meant "shave down an inch into my beard from the top of my ear"

I almost screamed.

I was growing my hair long for a little while but it was starting to become unkempt around the ends as hair does (I guess?). Went to supercuts, asked for about a 1 inch trim to clean it up. I have no idea what she did but it basically halved the length and put it in some weird-ass configuration with how the length differed area to area and I don't even remember. It was godawful though.

Went to the barber shop a few blocks away after that and got the Brad Shoemaker to work as a clean slate. Too much work to keep that up though and I just grew it long again before ending up where I am now with the Joe Miller. I won't ever go back to supercuts though. For anything more complicated than "inch and a half long on top, clippers on the sides" they are garbage.

Aistan on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Early in our marriage, my wife spent a summer in Washington DC as an intern, and I was picking her up at the airport in Amarillo. While I was waiting, I drove to a nearby strip mall haircut joint to get a trim. The stylist asked if I wanted my beard trimmed as well, so I said sure, it's getting a bit scraggly.

I'm not sure if it was a cascading series of mistakes or just a strong opinion on her part, but when she was done I was left with a face full of Miami Vice/Dr. Gregory House stubble. Understand that the last time my wife saw me without a beard, it was when my cousin brought her to our sophomore prom. When I met her at the gate, she spent the last fifty feet laughing at me. She explained that it wasn't that my terrible facial hair was funny, it was more that I had the kind of deeply ashamed expression she had previously only seen on dogs wearing veterinary cones.

That was the last time I let anyone else touch my goddamn beard.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Phone calls that we get at the bar, during and outside of operating hours (in no particular order):

-Do you allow dogs? No.
    -Do you allow minors? No.
    -Are you showing X pay-per-view event? No.
    -Are you showing X sportsball event? Yes, if we get that channel.
    -Can I place a food order to-go? Yes.
    -Is your ping pong table outside? Yes.
    -Is it going to be busy for local sportsball team event? Maybe.
    -Can you recite to me everything on your food menu? Yes, but no.
    -Do you fill growlers? No.
    -Do you sell kegs? No.
    -Can I reserve the back room for my event? Probably.
    -X sportsball event is happening before you open, will you be opening early? If it's a Seahawks game, yes. Otherwise, not likely.
    -Are you sure you don't allow minors? Yes, I am sure. No, you can't bring your baby in here.

This is not including all the calls that The Boss Man answers while he's here. Mostly people trying to sell him shit. Those conversations are very entertaining to overhear.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Auralynx wrote: »
    This is roughly my procedure as well, though usually I wear it at somewhere between 2-3 most of the time and longer in the winter, while shaving my neck area because that gets curly and irritates me.

I look a lot sharper when I keep the neck clean. Apparently, when I go for the full beard to sub Adam's apple, I send out MAJOR daddy bear returns on people's gaydar. It's flattering, but I'm really not trying to cosplay as the big fun bear from Dream Daddies.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Phone calls that we get at the bar, during and outside of operating hours (in no particular order):

-Are you sure you don't allow minors? Yes, I am sure. No, you can't bring your baby in here.

Not even as DDs? Must be some kind of weird cultural thing, almost all the sports bar type places around here will allow an underage DD, they mark your hands or whatever.

Then again I don't remember the last time I went to a straight up bar that didn't at least have a dining room attached to it...

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

Not even as DDs? Must be some kind of weird cultural thing, almost all the sports bar type places around here will allow an underage DD, they mark your hands or whatever.

Then again I don't remember the last time I went to a straight up bar that didn't at least have a dining room attached to it...

Nope.

You have to be 21+ to be in a bar in Washington state. I'd go in to the list of exceptions but they're ridiculous and none of them apply to where I work.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My kid wants to drink from his growler while watching x ppv event. How early can I expect you to open to accommodate us?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    The only reason I had to do it was the lady at supercuts decided "evening out my sideburns" meant "shave down an inch into my beard from the top of my ear"

I almost screamed.

I was growing my hair long for a little while but it was starting to become unkempt around the ends as hair does (I guess?). Went to supercuts, asked for about a 1 inch trim to clean it up. I have no idea what she did but it basically halved the length and put it in some weird-ass configuration with how the length differed area to area and I don't even remember. It was godawful though.

Went to the barber shop a few blocks away after that and got the Brad Shoemaker to work as a clean slate. Too much work to keep that up though and I just grew it long again before ending up where I am now with the Joe Miller. I won't ever go back to supercuts though. For anything more complicated than "inch and a half long on top, clippers on the sides" they are garbage.

I once asked for a #3 on the side and a #5 on the top with a fade/blend

she took out her scissors

I said "whoa whoa whoa, that's not the clipper"

"it'll look better" which is usually true when it's not super cuts but the last time I trusted them with scissors I ended up with some weird ass version of a bowl cut instead of a fucking crew cut.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    My kid wants to drink from his growler while watching x ppv event. How early can I expect you to open to accommodate us?

Yesterday.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Bowen you gotta stop going to supercuts dude

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

I almost screamed.

I once asked for a #3 on the side and a #5 on the top with a fade/blend

she took out her scissors

I said "whoa whoa whoa, that's not the clipper"

"it'll look better" which is usually true when it's not super cuts but the last time I trusted them with scissors I ended up with some weird ass version of a bowl cut instead of a fucking crew cut.

What she meant to say was "I want scissor practice"

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    :winky:

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

Yes.

Yes I do.

I need to find a good barber.

This is hard without word of mouth!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I went to a hipster barber shop that had done me right before, asked for basically the space dirtbag cut from the expanse, came out with a high & tight that's still growing back out. Also somebody flashed a gun outside work a minute ago.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So the high school teacher I covered for today, the day of the school's huge class olympics, texted me tonight to thank me for doing a good job.
    Teacher: Did you have fun today?
    Me: Yes, it was a blast! And your seniors won!
    Teacher: Yea! Thank you! A few kids texted me and they like having you for a sub! :) thanks

I will be subbing three straight weeks for her in late October and it's good to know her students like me.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    So the team I have been loaned to is splintering apart

I will admit I have been wrong about this loaning. It has been shit in many ways, but it's also been increased responsibility and more pressure/decisions sitting on me, which I've actually really enjoyed. I've come to the conclusion over the last three weeks that I have a lot more energy and enthusiasm for the job when I'm given a group of people to manage and told to solve some problems; I can do that. I'm good at it, I enjoy it. The pressure doesn't bother me, in fact it makes me a better worker. I've been so stagnant for months, even years now, and I've not really noticed that, but actually I'm starting to see it.

Need to have a word on Monday, say that I'm actually much more enthusiastic about the future of the wider team than I thought I was, want to take part in that, what can I do that isn't just going back to sitting on my team and doing the same thing I have for years?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Yes.

Yes I do.

Check online reviews on Yelp or something. Or just walk in to one. Seems like worst case scenario you'll end up with something like a supercuts.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    beard tips: if you trim with a comb and a razor instead of clippers, it reduces split ends and curling. takes a little longer, but if you only trim once every few weeks you're still coming out ahead.

also beard oil is totally superfluous imo, but smelling nice... is nice.

sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    3's eagerness to help resulted in multiple pairs of my work shoes split between the apartment and an unknown storage unit

Also if your clients have a great deal of packages, it is a bad idea to leave them in the lobby where they can easily be seen from the street.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    students texting their teachers is a bizarro concept to me

• Options
    Thinking of switching to a beard wax/pomeade (sp). My hair is darker as I age, but is still that springy does what it wants fuck you hair you get with being a redhead.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I dunno. My sixth grade teacher gave me her phone number realized I was in a shitty time at home. Seems like a good way to be available for help while not requiring a physical presence.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

-Do you fill growlers? :winky:

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I dunno. My sixth grade teacher gave me her phone number realized I was in a shitty time at home. Seems like a good way to be available for help while not requiring a physical presence.

Maybe it's because mobile phones were only just becoming a thing when I was finishing school so it is something I never would have encountered. But I'm just surprised that kind of outside-school contact is considered appropriate.

• Options
    We've been trying to move for a couple of years now, and I was just looking at places in my price range-

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS DWELLO BULLSHIT

My current building already had to have another crackdown on illegal airbnb units, the condo market is the bitcoin of investment speculators, you can't buy in this city unless you have the favor of Bezos, I'm already $2k+ deep in medical costs this year regarding my spine, I spend just as much time at work trying to stop thieves and scammers as I do actually getting to help people. So I get around to looking at what's out there and see a blip in my price range on a really short commute route and it's

It's

It's an app apartment. Appartment.

• Options
    I'm ready to move out of here off north to the fucking mossy wetlands anywhere near the San Juans, but COL and the rent keeps going up so fast, plus, only a couple of places I could actually transfer too.

I saw a middle aged skin & bones guy yesterday sitting outside work, acting out shooting up. No needle or anything, just sitting on the sidewalk, ghostriding the dragon. I'm done.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Yes.

Yes I do.

Well this is weird. I literally had a discussion about the whole supercut/real barber thing Wednesday night.

Local folks were suggesting the Westcott Barber as a good local shop.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Jesus, go into the city though? What am I, crazy?

This discussion has been closed.