Options

XCOM is now deployed.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Putting a ranger with Bladestorm right next to a clinging-to-life priest is one of life's greatest, pettiest joys

You know what's even better?

When reinforcements drop and you position the Bladestorm ranger next to the drop flare, so they take a swing at every single ADVENT that drops in.

That's super cool until a flame trooper drops in.

I'm a maniac who will totally have my rangers stab a purifier in the face, especially if the possible explosion can light up other motherfuckers.

Commander Z dgaf.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    whats the mechanic that determines if the flame trooper will actually blow up? sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't, at least for me

I think it's just random?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Putting a ranger with Bladestorm right next to a clinging-to-life priest is one of life's greatest, pettiest joys

When reinforcements drop and you position the Bladestorm ranger next to the drop flare, so they take a swing at every single ADVENT that drops in.

I'm a maniac who will totally have my rangers stab a purifier in the face, especially if the possible explosion can light up other motherfuckers.

Commander Z dgaf.

This is why I'm glad my Templar has Fortress.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Commander Z dgaf.

Love when the Heavy MEC he was stood next to decides to Mortar him and that Crysallid

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    oh yeah, with SPARK bots, how do you activate the cover defense thing that they have?

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    oh yeah, with SPARK bots, how do you activate the cover defense thing that they have?

It is always active. They are walking high cover. Just remember that enemies can take cover next to a SPARK, and it applies to the SPARK as well (i.e. don't get both Bulwark and Strike, since the cover applies to the Strike target).

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Oh actually one weird thing I noticed: in the Radio Tower mission, my Reaper pal didn't have the benefit of Shadow, with the smaller enemy sightlines. they just had normal concealment.

I was hoping to basically Overdrive them to the point instantly, but I had to actually fight.

That mission is the one mission I reliably actually use the Wraith suit. Just get a Ranger withing sprinting distance of the objective, and run right through the wall.

Saw someone bring a Templar, their bondmate, and a Psi Op to the network tower mission. They got to the first bridge, popped Overdrive Serum and both charges of Teamwork, used Inspire, and then had the Templar just book it across the entire map to the objective.

It was pretty funny.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

It is always active. They are walking high cover. Just remember that enemies can take cover next to a SPARK, and it applies to the SPARK as well (i.e. don't get both Bulwark and Strike, since the cover applies to the Strike target).

Only if you move up and then hit, if you use Strike like Slash (ie run in and hit) it doesn't get the cover bonus afaik

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

Commander Z dgaf.

My top Ranger actually has Blast Padding

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Oh yeah, definitely. There was a flametrooper there and I was like "please don't blow up please don't blow up"

Luckily, he didn't blow up.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I may have tried to take the Warlock on too early. Only light injuries, but my only colonel and all four of my majors are now Shaken for 2-3 weeks, leaving me with a core team of three captains and no rangers or templars above the rank of Squaddie.

This...could be an interesting couple of weeks.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    UvrbFhB.png

My assault with reaper just hacked to bits an entire lost swarm

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Got a disruptor mission.

Doesn't take any damage.

So I guess that's that game...

• Options
    Disruptor mission?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Where the UFO causes you to land and you have to fight off infinite waves of enemies.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Those missions are so fun, I can't wait until I get to one

• Options
    edited September 2017
    TheStig wrote: »
    UvrbFhB.png

My assault with reaper just hacked to bits an entire lost swarm

My Templar with Reaper carved the shit out of three pods hovering near the hack I was trying to defend. They ended up getting hacked...apart.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    GIx2kSR.jpg

CHECK AND MATE MOTHERFUCKER

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Dang look at Rolo with his Uperior Scope.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    How'd you get the 25%? Normal is 15%, I know there's a continent/order bonus that ups it an extra 5, but what's the last 5?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    How'd you get the 25%? Normal is 15%, I know there's a continent/order bonus that ups it an extra 5, but what's the last 5?

My guess is he has both?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Both what? I don't think you can get an order in a game if there's a region bonus that does the same thing.
    Unless you can, in which case I want to know about it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Both what? I don't think you can get an order in a game if there's a region bonus that does the same thing.

You know I'm not actually sure

I did get the +5 continental bonus

but I'm not sure where the last 5% on the aim comes from

maybe it came from one of the vektron rifle breakthroughs?

• Options

Maybe there is a breakthrough for scopes/attachments in general? There's the reusable one, so there might be one for +stats.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options

Maybe there is a breakthrough for scopes/attachments in general? There's the reusable one, so there might be one for +stats.

Reapers do have that +crit on kill. Maybe that?

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Legendary down, 64 missions, 12 deaths. Not particularly fun, but I did make a SPARK to keep things interesting, and boy are they great with weapon mods now. I think the Chosen weapons really skew things in favor of the Sharpshooter becoming godlike, and I'd rather they were all more like the Warlock's rifle. Great, but not mindblowingly better than XCOM gear.

• Options
    My one big gripe with the expansion is that none of the new classes can use any of the Chosen weapons, and the Sharpshooter/Ranger double up on them. It should have been a Cannon instead of a Shotgun, and a Bullpup or something instead of a pistol.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Legendary down, 64 missions, 12 deaths. Not particularly fun, but I did make a SPARK to keep things interesting, and boy are they great with weapon mods now. I think the Chosen weapons really skew things in favor of the Sharpshooter becoming godlike, and I'd rather they were all more like the Warlock's rifle. Great, but not mindblowingly better than XCOM gear.

the late game still REALLY lags

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »

the late game still REALLY lags

Well that's kind of how X-Com has always played. Your research catches up to the aliens and then you chase then down and finish it. I feel like larger pods of smaller aliens supported by one or two endgame aliens(like, 3 sectoids, 3 mutons, 1 sectopod/gatekeeper in one pod) would be more fun than slowly progressing advent foes.
    And for fuck's sake less pointless missions.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    yeah the late game always becomes a matter of trying to get stuff done while also having to keep doing the same sorts of missions you've done like 20 times already.

I get really completionist and want to contact every region but realistically doing that is a huge pain in the arse.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    IMO they should make the basic late game missions like what you do with covert ops - you just require a high ranking soldier to lead it

with, I dunno, a chance that a chosen or alien ruler shows up (assuming you triggered the later by hitting a facility) which forces you to take command

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    the final missions should bring back the chosen in some capacity to shake things up

or like an avatar/chosen hybrid or something

it being the same as the vanilla game was kinda disappointing

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    IMO they should make the basic late game missions like what you do with covert ops - you just require a high ranking soldier to lead it

with, I dunno, a chance that a chosen or alien ruler shows up (assuming you triggered the later by hitting a facility) which forces you to take command

Oh this is a solid idea, I like this. I've always wanted them to provide a mechanic to retire your senior soldiers(that may not have as high a Combat Intelligence or other variable stats as preferred troops) and this would be a great way to do it.

You can basically do it the same as a Covert Ops screen. Assign soldiers, there's a chance for them to be wounded/captured/ambushed based on the quality of your operation leader, done.
    the final missions should bring back the chosen in some capacity to shake things up

or like an avatar/chosen hybrid or something

it being the same as the vanilla game was kinda disappointing

If you don't clear all the chosen they show up in the final mission, and they don't let you take any Dominated/Hacked units into the final fight anymore(which is BULLSHIT) but I agree that it's pretty underwhelming.

Except on Legendary, that was somewhat ridiculous, 3 pod spawns a turn plus Avatars got stressful.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Just give me a version of XCOM that is pure covert ops.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Just give me a version of XCOM that is pure covert ops.

Do it as a mobile game with real-time research and missions and you've got a potential moneymaker on your hands!

• Options
    I want to actually go on them as XCOM style missions, I just want them to be significantly less combat focused.

I'm still a little bit sore that XCOM 2 showed me the dopest shit as its intro cinematic (the stealth placement of a bomb on an advent vehicle, with the metal detector distraction and everything) and then never let me do anything nearly as cool.

• Options
    I want to actually go on them as XCOM style missions, I just want them to be significantly less combat focused.

I'm still a little bit sore that XCOM 2 showed me the dopest shit as its intro cinematic (the stealth placement of a bomb on an advent vehicle, with the metal detector distraction and everything) and then never let me do anything nearly as cool.

xcom vs invisible inc.

• Options

xcom vs invisible inc.

I mean, yeah

The only reason I'm playing XCOM is because I already beat Invisible Inc too many times

• Options

Yeah, the fact that only the Avatar Facility missions are actually ghostable is bullshit.

It's also bullshit that planting a bomb or otherwise taking an objective action de-stealths.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I beat the warlock then ran out of steam. It's a big improvement over the base game but doesn't do enough to increase variety for me (also realising that I could just let the chosen stun a guy and steal intel the first couple of times I encountered them utterly defanged their impact on my regular missions).

I've harped on about it enough but I think that by balancing it so that difficulty is solely a matter of connecting shots, once you hit squad size +1 and intermediate armour you have enough leeway that it's just a matter of slowly grinding the aliens out.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png