Options

Thank[Steam] Thread: Autumn Sale until November 28th!

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Back in my day Steam only had Half life 2 and Counter Strike (and a back catalog of other games I guess Nope don't have those), and neither could play very well on my PC.

The website site and software also had that god awful green :P

http://web.archive.org/web/20050403003702/http://www.steampowered.com

Never forget!

otsZZ.jpg

The ugly duckling 14 years ago.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Back in my day Steam only had Half life 2 and Counter Strike (and a back catalog of other games I guess Nope don't have those), and neither could play very well on my PC.

Never forget!

otsZZ.jpg

I remember trying to run a dedicated server for the Half-Life mod Science & Industry with that old Steam interface. It didn't go over very well, especially since my upstream was pretty bad.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

Never forget!

otsZZ.jpg

That list of games... it's so... it's so manageable!

Jazz on
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Jazz wrote: »

Back then (and for a couple of years) I could say I had ALL the games on Steam! Crazy!

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I actually used Stardock Central more than Steam back in the day. I remember being blown away how it made updating GalCiv II and other Stardock games/software super easy. RIP STARDOCK CENTRAL
    index.3.jpg

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular

Never forget!

otsZZ.jpg

Am I completely weird for kind of wanting a Classic Steam reskin option now?

• Options
    shdwcaster wrote: »

Never forget!

otsZZ.jpg

Am I completely weird for kind of wanting a Classic Steam reskin option now?

I'm sure there is one somewhere.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Adventure Chat is dead. Long live Adventure Chat!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Bring out your dead!

• Options
    Bring out your dead!

Ninepence.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, Steam Controller, @-Loki-.

I think of the Steam Controller, at this point, much like a "360 Controller +", as well as a "360 Controller -".

Which is ominous sounding, but not really. It can easily work as a basic 360 controller, though the trackpad/directional pad can sometimes trip you up. It's even better when you realize that it has more functionality because of those two trackpads on it; I doubt I'd be able to rig an accurate controller layout for a normal gamepad to play, for example, Civ V. It also has the two grip buttons and an amazing amount of customization.

The issue arises when you come upon a game the doesn't allow the Steam overlay, as it's required for the game to run the Steam Controller. Even more, there's functionality that actually requires the Big Picture Mode to run.

I mean, they aren't horrible problems, but they are problems. At some point I'll need a 360/XB0 controller for those games, and that's just a fact, because not all of the controller-based games will run on the SC.

Still, it's my preferred controller.

I was pretty much decided on it, since I've been reading a lot about it. But this is good to know.

The program-ability is what's pushing it over the 360 controller, especially after I saw someone using it to play Guild Wars 2 which I've been wanting to play on my couch for a long time.

I'll add that I have 2 steam controllers and it's effectively become my go to controller. The only time I really ran into a problem with it was trying to play mass effect which has no controller settings and emulating wasd via a joystick feels really weird.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Hey, here's my semi-regular attempt to get rid of extra game keys I have laying around. PM me with the game key you want, first come first served!

Renegade Ops Collection
    Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
    Ace Combat Assault Horizon Enhanced Edition
    Stronghold Crusader 2
    Caesar™ 3
    Caesar™ IV
    Phantasmagoria
    Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle of Flesh
    Velocity 2X
    TIS-100
    Broken Age
    Grim Fandango Remastered
    Volume
    Elegy for a Dead World
    Abyss Odyssey

Metallikat on
  • Options
    Middle-earth: Shadow of War certainly appears to be taking its ridiculous orcs to the next level:

I'll be curious to see how well it does with all the bad publicity it's getting over microtransactions/loot boxes.

• Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Metallikat for CRYPTARK! Been eyeing that game for some time, it looks right up my alley!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    SteevL wrote: »
    Middle-earth: Shadow of War certainly appears to be taking its ridiculous orcs to the next level:

I'll be curious to see how well it does with all the bad publicity it's getting over microtransactions/loot boxes.

They have done well.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

After the high bar set by the brain damaged/crazies of the first game I'm glad they stepped up their game.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Best part about rhe singing orc is that he used his weapon to block, complete with the sound effects.

• Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I laughed way too hard at the one reply:

BladeX on
  • Options
    BladeX wrote: »

I read that one three times and only now do I get it.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular

"...All the shops have been smashed open. There was a whole bunch of people across the street helping themselves to musical instruments, can you believe that?"

"Yeah," said Rincewind. "...Luters, I expect."
    -Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Anyone with decent leveled gear and frames should remember that WARFRAME is launching its open world content this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww_pkMI9UvI

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    All proceeds from the sale of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice are going to mental health charity. All proceeds from sale of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice tomorrow will go to UK mental health charity.

http://www.pcgamer.com/all-proceeds-from-sale-of-hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-tomorrow-will-go-to-uk-mental-health-charity/

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Jesus effing ads I should not have gone to PC Gamer's site on mobile. Maybe a third of the screen was readable text. At least I have the idea for now.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Digital advertising can't die fast enough.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Not as fast as loot boxes though

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Yeah, but what will I do with all these keys?

Perhaps I should advertise them...

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    All proceeds from the sale of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice are going to mental health charity. All proceeds from sale of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice tomorrow will go to UK mental health charity.

http://www.pcgamer.com/all-proceeds-from-sale-of-hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-tomorrow-will-go-to-uk-mental-health-charity/

Okay, fine. I'll buy it.

Also, kind of sad I wanted to buy Shadow of War off of GMG yesterday for cheap but I forgot it was releasing today, now it's up 10-12 dollars.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

As if the game needed even more reason for people to buy it. Get in on this, peoples. This game is phenomenal.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    So my kid was playing the Warhammer Inquisitor thingy that came out recently. And it looked pretty damn neat. I don't know a thing about Warhammer but I think I need this now?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So my kid was playing the Warhammer Inquisitor thingy that came out recently. And it looked pretty damn neat. I don't know a thing about Warhammer but I think I need this now?

That's specifically Warhammer 40k. Normal Warhammer is the fantasy stuff. Which is also rad!

And, uh. There's a lot to know about. It's kind of absurdly massive.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Bring your credit card.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only WAAAGH!

• Options
    Praise to Nuffle!

• Options
    I still need to play through Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. It was a fun game, but I got to a part that my video card at the time apparently couldn't handle. The game would freeze up completely for 10+ seconds. A search through forums revealed this was happening to a lot of people, so I just put the game away.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    *peeks in*

Hi all, been a while. These are all humble gift links, I don't think they're region restricted.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Please enter only if you don't own either:
    signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

And this last one which I'll ask to adhere to my usual newer rules: Please don't enter if you don't plan on playing in the next month or so. Orwell is a game I played recently and really enjoyed, so I'd prefer it goes to a person who intends to enjoy it in the near future.

signature.png

*ducks back out*

Mid-week-ish reminder

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I'm reading a book right now that some of you may find interesting. It's called Blood, Sweat and Pixels by Jason Schreier (news editor at Kotaku) and each chapter tells the development story of a different game. It's been a very neat read, so far. Not too long either. He talks about the following games:
    • Diablo 3
    • Destiny
    • The Witcher 3
    • Halo Wars
    • Uncharted 4
    • Shovel Knight
    • Star Wars 1313
    • Pillars of Eternity
    • Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • Stardew Valley

I'm a little worried with how he sort of represents "crunch" as this inevitable thing that happens for all games and it's portrayed as acceptable for the most part but it's really interesting to hear about all the different problems that can come up during videogame development. I just wish there were more examples of things that failed than just Star Wars 1313.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    That sounds like a really interesting read, although now I'm wishing for a chapter on No Man's Sky: What the hell happened?

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    ym2933jm4pj8.png

First up is a game that I hadn't heard about until it came out, and low and behold, yet another game to add to the pile of amazing games this year. It's a really solid 3D platformer, that has charm and style for days. You find and craft hats which give you different abilities, as well as badges to put on your hats for bonuses. You can also find dyes for your outfit, though I don't know if there different outfits yet. It looked a little generic and drab at first, but the animation in this game really brings the character to life.

A Hat In Time
    bwoi3crvwzfu.jpg

To enter a random draw for this game just send me a private message telling me about your favourite hat of all time. I will be picking the winner some time on October 13. I will be buying it from Humble, so feel free to enter no matter what region you are from!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    That sounds like a really interesting read, although now I'm wishing for a chapter on No Man's Sky: What the hell happened?

First, the game has vastly improved over what was originally released. Second, Sony seems to have been the culprit (things like wanting it done now and not allowing Early Access-style games). Last, they let a creative person talk about his vision uncensored in front of cameras; if you ever want to be disappointed, as an artist, writer, etc about their grand, unfinished projects. :wink:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

Okay, fine. I'll buy it.

Also, kind of sad I wanted to buy Shadow of War off of GMG yesterday for cheap but I forgot it was releasing today, now it's up 10-12 dollars.

@KoopahTroopah - check your [junk] emails maybe? I don't know if you're signed up for any GMG deals but I got an email from GMG with a 25%-off voucher for Shadow of War and it doesn't expire until tomorrow. I'd give you the code but I think they're exclusive to the email recipient.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~