Options

Thank[Steam] Thread: Autumn Sale until November 28th!

• Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    BladeX wrote: »
    That sounds like a really interesting read, although now I'm wishing for a chapter on No Man's Sky: What the hell happened?

First, the game has vastly improved over what was originally released. Second, Sony seems to have been the culprit (things like wanting it done now and not allowing Early Access-style games). Last, they let a creative person talk about his vision uncensored in front of cameras; if you ever want to be disappointed, as an artist, writer, etc about their grand, unfinished projects. :wink:

I own the game so know how much it's improved and the story as far as like what seems to have happened ie sony rushing the game, and Sean Murray shooting for the moon, etc. An in-depth chapter behind the scenes would still be interesting to me if you could get anyone to open up and go into details from an insider's perspective without the "Sean Murray is a hackfraud who's laying on a towel of our money in the Carribean" outrage that went with this whole thing. The whole situation just facinates me.

BladeX on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Yo...

Unt_zpsjov25gmx.png

@Gear Girl Thank you SO much!

Yesterday and today have been CRAZY rough. My gf's family live in Sonoma. Some of their homes have been destroyed by the fires, others are ok so far. It's been a hectic, nearly sleepless night as we contact everyone. Plus, we thought her 1st cat (who lives with her mom now b/c it's an outdoor cat) was probably killed by the fire, but we literally just got a text saying they found the cat and it's ok. No idea how it survived the fire but I'm glad it did.

Took a shower and came back in to see that. Thank you. I've heard nothing but good things and it will be a nice distraction as soon as I can get to it. Thanks mate!

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Big Classy wrote: »
    All proceeds from the sale of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice are going to mental health charity. All proceeds from sale of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice tomorrow will go to UK mental health charity.

http://www.pcgamer.com/all-proceeds-from-sale-of-hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-tomorrow-will-go-to-uk-mental-health-charity/

Okay, fine. I'll buy it.

Also, kind of sad I wanted to buy Shadow of War off of GMG yesterday for cheap but I forgot it was releasing today, now it's up 10-12 dollars.

KoopahTroopah - check your [junk] emails maybe? I don't know if you're signed up for any GMG deals but I got an email from GMG with a 25%-off voucher for Shadow of War and it doesn't expire until tomorrow. I'd give you the code but I think they're exclusive to the email recipient.

I do not. :( I think I unsubbed from those emails because spam.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Geez, @Grove, that is terrifying. Here's hoping your gf's family (humans and felines) will all be okay!!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    New Humble @iolo Bundle:
    aTamtax.jpg

$1:
    BorderlandsGame of the Year Edition
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
    Wurm Unlimited

BTA:
    Endless Legend™ - Classic Edition
    Borderlands 2 (+Psycho Character Pack, Mechromancer Character Pack, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2)
    Guild of Dungeoneering

$10
    Borderlands:The Pre-Sequel

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    If you have somehow gotten this far in life without playing Borderlands, that bundle certainly delivers value. Even just TPS for $10 is a great. All four characters are fun to play, and the quality of life improvements over BL/BL2 really add up: low grav and boost jumping, butt slamming, no slag, cryo, lasers, and so on.

<3

EDIT: Van Helsing is a perfectly solid ARPG, and Endless Legend is interesting and deep (although I confess I bounced off of it after a couple of campaigns. Entirely possible I didn't find the race that best fit my playstyle.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I have a sudden urge to play some Borderlands, actually. I may have to do some reinstalling when I get home...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Thank you very much @Metallikat for Dead Rising! <3<3<3

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    If anyone else picked up the Humble Monthly bundle, and also has a VR headset, then Scanner Sombre is well worth a try. You have to set the 'beta version' switch in the properties for the app to get VR support, but once you've done that it is a very good app to try in VR.

Startup hint: if your system has you oriented the same way I was, you have to crouch down to find yourself inside the tent; and on Rift, it's the bottom button on the left handset to do the teleport-move thing. After that, it's plain sailing.

I suspect it wouldn't be as much fun in non-VR; it's a walking simulator which took a couple of hours to beat, but it has a much better sense of "being there" than a lot of other VR things, and the way you interact with discovering the world is part of what makes it work so well.

(second hint: if you're going to play this, don't look at the Steam store page, because some of the screenshots there show later stages of the game that I'm glad I didn't know were going to come up when playing earlier ones).

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    If you have somehow gotten this far in life without playing @iolo loving and classily pummeling you with Borderlands, that bundle certainly delivers value. Even just TPS for $10 is a great. All four characters are fun to play, and the quality of life improvements over BL/BL2 really add up: low grav and boost jumping, butt slamming, no slag, cryo, lasers, and so on.

<3

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Eh, the only one I don't have is Presequel, and I don't really want to spend 10 dollars on the presequel that would be better saved to get, like, Nier: Automata or the Stellaris expacs.

'Sides, fuck being on Handsome Jack's side :P.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'm a little worried with how he sort of represents "crunch" as this inevitable thing that happens for all games and it's portrayed as acceptable for the most part but it's really interesting to hear about all the different problems that can come up during videogame development. I just wish there were more examples of things that failed than just Star Wars 1313.

Supposedly it's been getting better across the industry over the past few years, but is still something of a problem. One of the big reasons I don't really want to work in the game industry.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The game industry is built on exploitation and needs to unionize.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

I thought that was the Pro Wrestling industry?

Zavian on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

I thought that was the Pro Wrestling industry?

Or really any industry that hasn't yet.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I'm a little worried with how he sort of represents "crunch" as this inevitable thing that happens for all games and it's portrayed as acceptable for the most part but it's really interesting to hear about all the different problems that can come up during videogame development. I just wish there were more examples of things that failed than just Star Wars 1313.

Supposedly it's been getting better across the industry over the past few years, but is still something of a problem. One of the big reasons I don't really want to work in the game industry.

Some newer studios founded by veteran developers are supposedly better about this and have been able to set up projects to avoid it.

But in general it's a segment of the tech industry that runs on the dreams of young and often childless people to get away with worse benefits and longer hours. Part of me is glad I turned out not to get 3D programming at all in college back before 2D got a resurgence as if I'd gone into the game industry I'd be paid as badly as a federal government software engineer but without the massive amounts of holidays and have the workload of a new startup without the pay. There are very few software engineers in the game industry that probably couldn't improve their jobs by just doing software work in another industry.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Drascin wrote: »
    Eh, the only one I don't have is Presequel, and I don't really want to spend 10 dollars on the presequel that would be better saved to get, like, Nier: Automata or the Stellaris expacs.

Sides, fuck being on Handsome Jack's side :P.
    You get jetpacks and laser guns. Its worth it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Now I'm confused. I thought you were discussing "crunch" like the part of a game that has depth and substance. Not development schedule.

And fed govt programmers get paid pretty well, especially so since cybersecurity became a priority.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Jesus effing ads I should not have gone to PC Gamer's site on mobile. Maybe a third of the screen was readable text. At least I have the idea for now.

I couldn't browse the web on a phone that wasn't rooted and had adaway installed. Ads are bad enough on a normal monitor, they're a goddamned disaster on a 4-5" screen.
    So my kid was playing the Warhammer Inquisitor thingy that came out recently. And it looked pretty damn neat. I don't know a thing about Warhammer but I think I need this now?

It is 38,000 years in the future. Humanity has descended into a dystopic galaxy wide Imperium of Man led by the Emperor, an immortal God King who has been in a coma for 10,000 years. The Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by multiple species of Xenos scum, as well as the ruinous forces of Chaos who corrupt mankind and operate from within a parallel dimension called the Immaterium that humanity uses for FTL space travel (basically Event Horizon). Inquisitors operate with nearly limitless power and almost no oversight (second only to the Emperor himself and his personal guard), and have no qualms about calling in the full brunt of an Imperial Guard or Space Marine army to eliminate an entire planet if need be to remove the taint of Chaos, mutation, or xenos incursion.

You're here to fuck up Heretics and chew bubblegum, and you're all out of bubblegum.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Never forget!

otsZZ.jpg

"Choose a game and start playing!"

Ah, the naivete of youth.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Jesus effing ads I should not have gone to PC Gamer's site on mobile. Maybe a third of the screen was readable text. At least I have the idea for now.

I couldn't browse the web on a phone that wasn't rooted and had adaway installed. Ads are bad enough on a normal monitor, they're a goddamned disaster on a 4-5" screen.
    So my kid was playing the Warhammer Inquisitor thingy that came out recently. And it looked pretty damn neat. I don't know a thing about Warhammer but I think I need this now?

It is 38,000 years in the future. Humanity has descended into a dystopic galaxy wide Imperium of Man led by the Emperor, an immortal God King who has been in a coma for 10,000 years. The Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by multiple species of Xenos scum, as well as the ruinous forces of Chaos who corrupt mankind and operate from within a parallel dimension called the Immaterium that humanity uses for FTL space travel (basically Event Horizon). Inquisitors operate with nearly limitless power and almost no oversight (second only to the Emperor himself and his personal guard), and have no qualms about calling in the full brunt of an Imperial Guard or Space Marine army to eliminate an entire planet if need be to remove the taint of Chaos, mutation, or xenos incursion.

You're here to fuck up Heretics and chew bubblegum, and you're all out of bubblegum.

Well then. That sounds like a thing I could appreciate. When I asked my kid to summarize the setting all I got was basically "Everybody is trying to kill everybody else." :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Out of a clear blue sky...

dJgi3V3.png

...comes a blue-faced game of "myth and madness." Thank you so much to the classy, classy @Gear Girl for Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I don't know what brought about this bout of generous gift-rampaging, but I very much appreciate the game. Folks round these parts are giving this one rave reviews, and I look forward to taking it for a spin myself!

Thanks so much! <3

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Well then. That sounds like a thing I could appreciate. When I asked my kid to summarize the setting all I got was basically "Everybody is trying to kill everybody else." :lol:

This is not incorrect.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

The Event Horizon fan theory is one of my favorite fan jokes of all time, particularly given Eisner and Anderson have actually been directly asked about a connection and they purposely played coy into it.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

This is all mon-keigh propaganda. The remaining Aeldari's struggle to survive in a hostile and barbaric universe that is the ruined shadow of their former empire after birthing a Chaos God from their own dissipation and self-indulgence is the true saga of Warhammer 40,000. This is the Time of Ending, when the burgeoning hordes of mon-keigh, Ork, and other lesser races have awakened our ancient enemies and drawn new terrors from the furthest void to devour what remains of the our civilization.

Follow the Bloody-Handed God into the Rhana Dandra and awaken Ynnead, the Whispering God, so that he can erase our ancient mistake and return the Aeldari to supremacy!
    Eldar are cool.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Eldar are filthy xenos.

Tyrannids are adorable.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Eldar are filthy xenos.

Yeah, but they also have the best psychic space orgies in the universe

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    40ntbfpn99ki.jpg

Just completed Detention.

It's an interesting but simplistic game set during Taiwan's period of martial law. Fear and feels are to be had.

The setting, creatures, and plot are taken from Taiwan but all very understandable to my Western brain.

Only clocks in at 3 hours but really interesting, I recommend people check it out.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

This is not incorrect.

The tagline is literally "In the Grim Darkness of the 41st millenium, there is only War".

Basically, 40K is the origin of the term grimdark. Everyone is horrible to absolutely over-the-top levels, everyone is fucked, and everything looks like the cover of a sci-fi heavy metal album. There was a heavy component of satire in its inception, which becomes really apparent when perusing the factions a bit. The Imperium has handbooks that say things like "an open mind is a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded" and feeds their lighhouse with the suffering of millions of people, the Orks are giant green violent football hooligans with automatic weapons and Cockney accents, Chaos basically looks like a parody of edgy teenage aesthetics, spaceships are quite literally giant cathedrals that fly through space, and so on. It's a real fun setting, overall, as long as you enjoy irredeemable people shooting each other in increasingly awesome ways.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Warhammer 40k only stops being fun when you start taking it too seriously.

It'd be an absolutely terrible place to actually live, but it's an amazing place to visit in games.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Has anyone messed with Wurm Unlimited? The idea of running a private server MMO is kinda tempting.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Basil wrote: »
    Eldar are filthy xenos.

Yeah, but they also have the best psychic space orgies in the universe

an orgy so rad it culminated in the birth of a new god.... who promptly ate most the souls of the Space Elves

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    On Earth we call that Rock and Roll.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Right? Space elfs are small time. They don't even fight with instruments.

Now, those Noise Marines know what's up.

The Imperial Guard are no slouch, either. Artillery? More like percussive section.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    This just makes me really sad the Space Marine probably won't get a sequel, because that game is fantastic.

Speaking of grimdark and demons, DOOM is, uh, it's pretty fun, guys. I'm ripping, tearing, shooting, cutting, blasting, and otherwise murdering my way across the Mars landscape.

. . . what's this "snapmap" thing on the title screen?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    . . . what's this "snapmap" thing on the title screen?

User made maps and map maker.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Crap.

Just realised it was International day of the girl today. (11/10/2017)

I could have played something with a female lead tonight.

Well I suppose I can fit in maybe half an hour of Transistor before bed.

Anyway, girl power to all women on this forum. :biggrin:

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Posting the Dawn of War 2 opening because it is great. Dreadnought coming out of nowhere to mess up some Eldar is always funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

Also one of my favourite bits of Warhammer lore is the ongoing Octarius War.
    Basically the Imperium thought it would be a decent idea to have this massive Tyranid hive fleet attack a nearby Ork Empire. If they are lucky they will destroy each other.
    Whether the Orks or the Tyranids win the war, the victor will emerge stronger than before. Orks from light-years around are flocking to Octarius, and are growing bigger and stronger on their diet of conflict. And every Ork devoured gives more biomass to the growing Tyranid swarm, which is constantly learning and adapting new ways to defeat their foes. Kryptman succeeded in luring Leviathan to the Octarius Empire, but rather than tricking both sides into destroying each other his plan has backfired into starting a series of events that is making the Imperium's enemies stronger.

Whoops.

Isorn on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Did anybody else get a Wolfenstein 2 GMG email where the game is like....5 percent off, but the deluxe edition is 25 percent off?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00