As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley - Join us. Thrive.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It helps the hearts go up faster. Your animals don't like being cold at night.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Ugh. That's an extra walk at night and in the morning....stupid spoiled animals.....

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Should I upgrade my axe or pick first?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Upgrading the axe to get hardwood is a good idea

What level are you upgrading to?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I would say axe but I don't know if it really matters much. There's one area you need an upgraded axe to open up, I can't think of anything gated behind an upgraded pick.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    knitdan wrote: »
    I would say axe but I don't know if it really matters much. There's one area you need an upgraded axe to open up, I can't think of anything gated behind an upgraded pick.

Sometimes on the mining farm the stairs up to the mining area are blocked by a boulder due to random seeding. That would be about it I think.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I haven't tried any of the alternate farms yet, I don't even know if they're available on the Switch version.

I have something like 90 hours on my save it's insane.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I'm at floor 85, and it's only Summer 13.

edit:
    knitdan wrote: »
    I haven't tried any of the alternate farms yet, I don't even know if they're available on the Switch version.

I have something like 90 hours on my save it's insane.

They are available.

I have about 15 hours on my save and I'm only 45 game days into the game.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    If there was mario maker and stardew valley on the switch I would probably buy one.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    If there was mario maker and stardew valley on the switch I would probably buy one.

You mean if there was Mario Maker, right?

Because the entire reason this thread is active again is that it just came out on the switch.

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

You mean if there was Mario Maker, right?

Because the entire reason this thread is active again is that it just came out on the switch.

Yes, I spoke poorly. 50% of my criteria are currently met for a switch purchase.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Once you get the axe to iron level I wouldn't upgrade it any further on priority. All it nets you is faster wood cutting and for what you'll need, you know where all the trees and such are. I'd prioritize the mining pick. Faster exploration of the mines, which means access to more materials.

Also don't underestimate upgrading the hoe. Speeding up your time to dig out your new season planting is a pretty big boon even if you only do it so many times a year (especially winter going into spring).

As for the watering can I'd prioritize the hell out of it over everything else. At the same time though you need to be smart about when to upgrade it. If you get a weather report about rain or a storm for the next day, take it in to upgrade. The exception is if the day after the weather is a holiday. Chances are the town / smith won't be accessible, then you have a day without plants being watered. If you're on like day 25, 26, or 27 of a season and all your crops are harvested, that's a good time to take it in too. You won't have time to grow anything else. Never take it in on the 28th though. You'll miss day one planting for the next season.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Personally I prefer small crop fields watered by hand with the basic can until you unlock the level 2 sprinklers. Then I NEVER WATER AGAIN. Crops are then slowly expanded as i gain more sprinklers.

The resources for upgrades seem better spent on the pick so you can make cash in the mines as opposed to the watering can. More bang for your energy buck in the mines than hand watering a whole mess of parsnips.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Nothing has been upgraded at all yet.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Nothing has been upgraded at all yet.

Then Watering Can should be first. You are probably watering 3x as often as you are doing any other one thing.

If the Can is impractical just now, upgrade the Pick since it will help you get more copper ore in the mines for other upgrades.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I never upgrade my Watering Can til Winter. I know it's not ideal, but I just down copious amounts of wildberries to get my Energy back from watering for hours.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I wish you could take a picture of your entire farm.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I never upgrade my Watering Can til Winter. I know it's not ideal, but I just down copious amounts of wildberries to get my Energy back from watering for hours.

Yeah, in the summer/fall upgrade your pick so that you can mine more efficiently in the winter and upgrade the rest of your stuff in the winter since losing a few days of use from the axe, can or hoe can set you back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    The time you save by upgrading the watering can cannot be understated. Time is very precious, if you're planning on doing a lot of things. Upgrading the can even once will save you a lot of time each day if you have a significant amount of crops.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Already mostly been covered, but I prioritize upgrading the watering can to copper as soon as I have the materials and a rainy day lined up, but I'm simultaneously prioritizing booking it down the mines to get the materials to make quality sprinklers once I have the requisite farming skill to do so (usually mid-summer 1 for me). Once I have sprinklers online the watering can is relegated to one of the last tools I upgrade, though its still useful for winter when I'm redoing my plots to plant winter seeds.
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

http://upload.farm/

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I've now run into the opposite problem of taking too long watering everything. Now that my farm has lots of sprinklers, I can plant lots of crops, so now I'm spending all of my time harvesting and putting things into preservers and kegs and mayonnaise makers and cheese makers

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Also, how can I reliably get coal? I never have enough, and I barely seem to get any in the mines, and I'm not wasting 10 wood for 1 piece of coal.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I've always gotten by just running through the ice levels of the mine - lots of those little dust things. I think it's floors 60-80 or so?

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Also, how can I reliably get coal? I never have enough, and I barely seem to get any in the mines, and I'm not wasting 10 wood for 1 piece of coal.

You could buy coal from the blacksmith.

• Options
    Emporium wrote: »
    Already mostly been covered, but I prioritize upgrading the watering can to copper as soon as I have the materials and a rainy day lined up, but I'm simultaneously prioritizing booking it down the mines to get the materials to make quality sprinklers once I have the requisite farming skill to do so (usually mid-summer 1 for me). Once I have sprinklers online the watering can is relegated to one of the last tools I upgrade, though its still useful for winter when I'm redoing my plots to plant winter seeds.

Doesn't work for Switch

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Emporium wrote: »

Doesn't work for Switch

Oh yeah, sorry. Forgot that's why there's been a burst of activity in the thread recently.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    I've always gotten by just running through the ice levels of the mine - lots of those little dust things. I think it's floors 60-80 or so?

Cool, I'll check that out

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    It has rained twice the entire year so far in my game so watering can was not possible. The one day it did rain I did not have enough money the day before to get that upgrade going.

• Options
    It has rained twice the entire year so far in my game so watering can was not possible. The one day it did rain I did not have enough money the day before to get that upgrade going.

This too; on Switch I had rain maybe twice in all of Spring.

• Options

This too; on Switch I had rain maybe twice in all of Spring.

Once in Spring and once in Summer so far.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    There's a decent-ish chance of multi-day storms in summer it seems like. So that's not a bad time to upgrade. Besides that, the other obvious option is winter.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    What effect does closing the barn/coop doors at night have on the animals? Or is it just an aesthetic thing?

You can also force the animals to stay out overnight. If you want. ..... Not that I've ever done that before. ......

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Wild animals can attack your livestock if they're locked outside at night. The livestock will be removed, and all your other animals in that barn will lose hearts.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Wild animals can attack your livestock if they're locked outside at night. The livestock will be removed, and all your other animals in that barn will lose hearts.

Wait, really? I've been playing Stardew since the PC launch and never knew this.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

Wait, really? I've been playing Stardew since the PC launch and never knew this.

doesn't happen often, since animals will generally try to wander back to their barns at night

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Animals#Wild_Animal_Attacks

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's really unlikely to happen unless you lock your animals outside.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

You can give it to Clint to upgrade on the 29th. It'll be in the shop on the 30th which doesn't matter because you don't need to water then, and you can get it back the first to water then.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I only closed the barn and coop doors in the winter but I always have the area fenced in around it.

Do their hearts grow noticeably faster when you shut it every night?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Sassori wrote: »
    I only closed the barn and coop doors in the winter but I always have the area fenced in around it.

Do their hearts grow noticeably faster when you shut it every night?

Yeah, for sure. Try to close it as close to 6 PM as possible.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Yeah, you can get an adult animal to 5 hearts within 1-2 seasons if you have fresh grass for them to eat outdoors every day, pet them every morning, and then close up the barn at the end of the night.

This discussion has been closed.