As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Las Vegas Shooting]. Updates on where shooter got his ammo

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Better yet, take photos of his crazy conspiracy posts and send them to his employer. His company probably doesn't want a truther nutter on the payroll; it reflects poorly on the corporation as a whole.

It's not exactly a good idea to drive a person on the fringe further away from normalcy.

Unfortunately, when someone cannot be convinced that fringe beliefs are incorrect, all you can to do is ostracize them, in order to send a message that spouting those sorts of fringe beliefs are socially unacceptable. Simply turning a blind eye to it sends a (unintentional) message that it's fine to say those sorts of things, and that leads to fringe beliefs gaining more popular traction.

Who said anything about turning a blind eye?

When I responded I was thinking in terms of either reporting to the company or not, without considering that one could remove them from their social life without taking an additional action of reporting the person to the company. Apologies.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    And it goes on:

'Mass shooting' reported at small town church in Texas
    A gunman opened fire at a church in Texas during Sunday services, resulting in multiple reported casualties.

The attack happened at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs in Wilson County.

Local ABC affiliate KSAT 12 reported the gunman entered the church at around 11:30 local time and began shooting.

Police told the outlet there were "multiple victims" and the gunman had been killed in the aftermath. The number of casualties is not yet clear.

No word yet if this was an act of terrorism, or if the shooter was white.

Holy shit...some more details are trickling out (the BBC article is being updated when they get updates): 27 people dead and only 1 reported shooter (but the FBI is looking "for other possibilities").

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Fuck this. Fuck this. Fuck this. Fucking fucking fucking fucking fuck it I am fucking sick to fucking death of ordinary everyday people dying in fucking horrible ways and FUCK EVERY SINGLE FUCKING BIT OF THIS!

• Options
    Fuck this. Fuck this. Fuck this. Fucking fucking fucking fucking fuck it I am fucking sick to fucking death of ordinary everyday people dying in fucking horrible ways and FUCK EVERY SINGLE FUCKING BIT OF THIS!

Every morning, before I open my work email to see if there's any GIS figure or data requests, I load into my local news websites. And every morning, I see at least one article about at least one person dying to gun violence (just in Western Washington...not even looking at other regional news outlets).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Welp, guess that means it's too soon to talk about gun violence again.

Regardless of the motive, race, or technicalities, that a single person is able to do this, and with the frequency it happens, and nothing gets done, is disgusting.

But as was said after the Vegas shooting, if nothing happened after Sandy Hook, nothing is going to happen.

The only thing that's more assured than legislators doing nothing, is that the NRA will demand more guns would have solved the problem.

So fucking tired of seeing this happen. Over and over and over again.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Obviously everyone needs a high caliber rifle, extended magazine, and a bump-stock with a silencer.

Only then will we truly be safe.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Obviously everyone needs a high caliber rifle, extended magazine, and a bump-stock with a silencer.

Only then will we truly be safe.
    Yup. Proper training, mental health screening, criminal precursor screening*, those aren't important, if EVERYONE has a gun!
    * That's if you want to categorize domestic abuse history as separate from a mental health issue. I think they're the same, but what do I know. I think reasonable gun control is a good thing, so I've been called wrong on things.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Regardless of the motive, race, or technicalities, that a single person is able to do this, and with the frequency it happens, and nothing gets done, is disgusting.

But as was said after the Vegas shooting, if nothing happened after Sandy Hook, nothing is going to happen.

The only thing that's more assured than legislators doing nothing, is that the NRA will demand more guns would have solved the problem.

Literally Small Town, Texas.
    If you don't have a "good guy with a gun" there, than where?

I apologize, this is in poor taste.
    But I too am fucking tired.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Now is the time for thoughts and prayers. And sympathies for the surviving families.

This week, anyway. Next week they'll all be found out as crisis actors pretending to be the families of the pretend victims in a transparent effort to take all the guns anyway.

Not that guns had anything to do with this.

It was mental illness. Terrorism. Economic anxiety, perhaps. A strange confluence of fate. One of the universe's great, unsolvable mysteries.

Anyway, go think and pray. But not about guns. Because there's no reason to involve the poor, innocent guns in this.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2017
    nm

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

Literally Small Town, Texas.
    If you don't have a "good guy with a gun" there, than where?

I apologize, this is in poor taste.
    But I too am fucking tired.
    I'm anticipating the possibility it'll be one of those gun-free-zone churches. That's usually the kind of place these cowardly fuckers tend to target. Schools, movie theatres, churches, kindergartens.

And that's what gives the NRA their biggest hard-on. Able to point to these situations and be all sanctimonious about how "if only".

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Now is the time for thoughts and prayers. And sympathies for the surviving families.
    This week, anyway. Next week they'll all be found out as crisis actors pretending to be the families of the pretend victims in a transparent effort to take all the guns anyway.
    Not that guns had anything to do with this.
    It was mental illness. Terrorism. Economic anxiety, perhaps. A strange confluence of fate. One of the universe's great, unsolvable mysteries.
    Anyway, go think and pray. But not about guns. Because there's no reason to involve the poor, innocent guns in this.

The popular conspiracy theory is that these shootings are an effort to take guns away.
    You'd think that after the first dozen mass shootings failed to make any appreciable progress towards that goal the conspirators would seek a different tact for their insidious plan to make it harder to kill groups of people. Assuming the conspirators are not insane, stupid or both.
    But, try to suggest to the foil hat brigade that it makes much more sense for the gun industry and the NRA to be behind the shootings, seeing as how they enjoy a massive bump in demand, sales and profitability following each and every one of these shootings...

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    And it goes on:

A gunman opened fire at a church in Texas during Sunday services, resulting in multiple reported casualties.

The attack happened at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs in Wilson County.

Local ABC affiliate KSAT 12 reported the gunman entered the church at around 11:30 local time and began shooting.

Police told the outlet there were "multiple victims" and the gunman had been killed in the aftermath. The number of casualties is not yet clear.

I literally just rewatched an episode of The West Wing where this was a sub plot.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    And it goes on:

I literally just rewatched an episode of The West Wing where this was a sub plot.
    I remember that ep. Little girl dies, a rambo stops an active shooter, and gun control gets stifled.

Even in a leftist wet dream fictional accounting, nothing gets done on guns.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Also please don't bump this thread unless there is new news or discussion about the Vegas shooting.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    There's new info about the Vegas shooting. They were able to trace back where the shooter got his ammo - some guy from a gun show in Arizona. Went to his house and everything, loaded up a huge case of 720 tracer rounds (those are the rounds that light up when fired to visually track where the gunfire is going; not every round fired is a tracer).
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/us/las-vegas-shooting-stephen-paddock.html
    “I had no contribution to what Paddock did,” Mr. Haig said. “I had no way to see into his mind. The product that I sold him had absolutely nothing to do with what he did. I’m a vendor, I’m a merchant whose name was released.”
    First of all I don't know how hundreds upon hundreds of rounds of tracers alone doesn't set off any alarm bells in one's head. Second, this clown has a lot of nerve claiming he has nothing to do with what happened here. Maybe not by intent, but he played the part in supplying (part of) the ammunition. That is criminally negligent and sleezy to try and get away from. Someone with common decency would at least say, "Damn, this is a lesson for me to consider this sort of thing more often."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    There's new info about the Vegas shooting. They were able to trace back where the shooter got his ammo - some guy from a gun show in Arizona. Went to his house and everything, loaded up a huge case of 720 tracer rounds (those are the rounds that light up when fired to visually track where the gunfire is going; not every round fired is a tracer).
    “I had no contribution to what Paddock did,” Mr. Haig said. “I had no way to see into his mind. The product that I sold him had absolutely nothing to do with what he did. I’m a vendor, I’m a merchant whose name was released.”
    First of all I don't know how hundreds upon hundreds of rounds of tracers alone doesn't set off any alarm bells in one's head. Second, this clown has a lot of nerve claiming he has nothing to do with what happened here. Maybe not by intent, but he played the part in supplying (part of) the ammunition. That is criminally negligent and sleezy to try and get away from. Someone with common decency would at least say, "Damn, this is a lesson for me to consider this sort of thing more often."

And because the industry was indemnified, there's no holding him legally accountable.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

And because the industry was indemnified, there's no holding him legally accountable.

To be fair, I can go down to Cabela's and pick up hundreds of 5.56mm tracer rounds at $15 per 20 rounds.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Tracer rounds are a weird line to draw, they help you track your shot to adjust your aim.

Obviously theres a very grim overtone here due to what he meant to aim at, but using them as a red flag seems like you're going to be wrong more often than not. Like, I think this is the only instance I recall? Which means in recent memory, (total - 750)/(total) percent of tracer rounds weren't used in murders.

As for volume, I buy pistol rounds by the 1,000. It's cheaper. If I could afford tracers, sure why not; they're neat.

To be clear: I wouldn't personally take offense if they were banned. That I think a lethal projectile is "neat" is hardly an argument I'd put forth in a serious debate, but I don't think it would be in the top 20 things to do to stem the ridiculous volume/frequency/lethality of our mass shooters.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Are tracer rounds particularly indicative of bad intent? Thought they were just cool / impractical things for gun nerds.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I don't think "not being a mind reader" rises do criminal negligence. It isn't *that* uncommon for gun people to buy a LOT of ammo.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    In most countries, buying a car-load of special ammo would get you on a watch list unless you own a hunting lodge or something . But the USA is filled with dickless wonders who think that having enough ammo to outfit a mercenary troop somehow makes them safe from crime/a real man/capable of resisting government tyranny. I can’t see how they can blame a gun dealer for doing what he does every day for a living.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    In most countries, buying a car-load of special ammo would get you on a watch list unless you own a hunting lodge or something . But the USA is filled with dickless wonders who think that having enough ammo to outfit a mercenary troop somehow makes them safe from crime/a real man/capable of resisting government tyranny. I can’t see how they can blame a gun dealer for doing what he does every day for a living.

That's the thing when I dug into other sources (ABC News, NY Daily News, etc...) where the dealer was reportedly arrested for making and selling armor-piercing rounds (without a license to manufacture or sell AP ammo).

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Tracer rounds are a weird line to draw, they help you track your shot to adjust your aim.

Obviously theres a very grim overtone here due to what he meant to aim at, but using them as a red flag seems like you're going to be wrong more often than not. Like, I think this is the only instance I recall? Which means in recent memory, (total - 750)/(total) percent of tracer rounds weren't used in murders.

As for volume, I buy pistol rounds by the 1,000. It's cheaper. If I could afford tracers, sure why not; they're neat.

To be clear: I wouldn't personally take offense if they were banned. That I think a lethal projectile is "neat" is hardly an argument I'd put forth in a serious debate, but I don't think it would be in the top 20 things to do to stem the ridiculous volume/frequency/lethality of our mass shooters.
    If it was 720 regular rounds I'd still be saying it's a red flag. The point I'm making is that 720 rounds of tracers implies there are x amount of regular rounds between each of those 720. The implication is this guy was arming himself to go to war all by himself, essentially.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    720 rounds is less than a months worth of ammo if you went down to the range every day and shot of a single mag. About 1 session if you're practicing with a MG.

Back when I did my military service our platoon would empty 6x400 round ammo cans in a single session, and that's semi-auto fire.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    720 rounds is less than a months worth of ammo if you went down to the range every day and shot of a single mag. About 1 session if you're practicing with a MG.

Back when I did my military service our platoon would empty 6x400 round ammo cans in a single session, and that's semi-auto fire.

• Options

Normal FMJ (or even OTM) rounds, sure. Tracer rounds that are spaced between 3-4 FMJ rounds (or is a tracer round placed to fire off every 3rd shot)? That's likely going to last a little longer.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I used to buy 7.62x39 by the case, 1440 rounds. That's in Canada too, nobody gave a damn

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

...and? Military style shooting drills is pretty much in your constitution.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'm a civilian and I use up more ammunition going to the range and shooting for a single session with a buddy than any mass shooter will go through on a spree. Buying lots of ammo is a useless marker for discerning violent intent. Same for tracer rounds.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    Would it be fair to bring up the distinction of what gun owners know / do vs. the perception of people who are not gun owners and how those things appear to them?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Shit, it was scary to see this thread at the top of the forum. Thought there'd been another shooting.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

If it was 720 regular rounds I'd still be saying it's a red flag. The point I'm making is that 720 rounds of tracers implies there are x amount of regular rounds between each of those 720. The implication is this guy was arming himself to go to war all by himself, essentially.

I think the disconnect is what constitutes a shit load of ammo; which is pretty relative. Regular reporting that allowed you to identify spikes on an individual basis would probably get you closer to what you want than an arbitrary number.

If I buy 100 fmj/week for a year, then buy 400 jhps and some spare magazines, maybe check to see if I just lost my job or my kids.

• Options
    Tracer rounds are typically used (in the military) to track your trajectory to the beaten zone* of machine guns. This is because MG's, while remarkably accurate**, also have a wide dispersal area due to the internal functions of the weapon. In laymen terms, the fucking thing shakes a lot. This is due to the high volume of rounds that are being shot out. The tracer is there in order to provide an additional point of reference to ensure your rounds go where intended, since normal aiming is disrupted do to recoil.

For civilians interested in marksmanship, tracers are good for seeing your round trajectory in real time. It's not 100% accurate due to different weights and compositions of the bullet (tracer is more magnesium and other elements), but it's damn close. 720 doesn't honestly sound like a whole lot to me, even though the military is used to one tracer per three normal ball rounds, but I'm used to military consumption rates, which can go into the tens, if not hundreds of thousands for even three to four people. So normal to me probably wouldn't reflect a typical civilian marksman enthusiast.
    *The beaten zone is the area where rounds impact with the ground, normally reserved for MG's, but advanced long distance marksmanship can use it too.

**The two most typical machine guns (M240 series and M2 .50) can out range or equal the range of assault rifles and a large amount of sniper systems. Volume of fire in beaten zone and cone of fire vs single shot accuracy for sure, but their point target, singe shot accuracy is still great.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Would it be fair to bring up the distinction of what gun owners know / do vs. the perception of people who are not gun owners and how those things appear to them?

Yeah, of course. That's a real issue. One of the reasons gun rights diehards treat detractors like ignorant hysterics is that a fair few really are ignorant hysterics.

• Options

Yeah, of course. That's a real issue. One of the reasons gun rights diehards treat detractors like ignorant hysterics is that a fair few really are ignorant hysterics.
    It would help to have messaging put forward in an educating manner rather than berating though (as far as the 2nd amendment crazies go). They offer no information usually. So when we hear 720 bullets, we think "that's 720 potential deaths or wounded to varying degrees."

• Options

The real scary thing is situations like what happened in Vegas.

For the most part, mass shooters seem fairly weapons ignorant aside from the very basics that everyone knows; point gun at person and pull trigger. The reason Vegas is especially frightening is because Paddock seemed to know what he was doing. Not only from a weaponeering perspective, but also from a basic tactics perspective.

I can't imagine too many mass shooting nightmare scenarios worse than what this man did.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Nobody outside of the military needs that much ammunition at any one time. Full stop. I'm sorry if it makes your silly hobby inconvenient but I'd rather inconvenience you than make it easier for someone to perform a massacre.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Nobody outside of the military needs that much ammunition at any one time. Full stop. I'm sorry if it makes your silly hobby inconvenient but I'd rather inconvenience you than make it easier for someone to perform a massacre.
    We talk a lot about "normalization" of things going on with current events and I wonder how much "hundreds of rounds of ammo" has been normalized in the same way.