Options

Baby hiccups [chat]

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    All conversations about depressing cartoons would be better as discussions about Bojack Horseman, the depressingest cartoon.

I have enough sad in my life already

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    If R&M is no big deal and most fans are reasonable I dare you to go into a dave and busters on a saturday afternoon and shout "I'M PICKLE RICK! REEEEEEEE"
    Surely there will be mostly stunned silence and people glaring at you and not a cacophony of echoed responses

I'm not really sure what you could shout in place of that and get a positive reaction.

I started singing “Die Wacht am Rhein” and a bunch of buttholes started singing “La Marseillaise“

Casablanca fans, man

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Pickle Rick doesn't yell "reeeeeeeee" though so what is that about

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Rick and Morty is never going to be canceled.
    What's worse, being cancelled or being thrown into Venture Bros type season scheduling?
    That's not CN's fault, the writers are just very chill about actually finishing the scripts.

Someday I too will work in a segment of the tv industry that doesn't revolve around a 3pm east coast time deadline for a day's worth of content when I'm reporting from Hawaii.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    I got really down after my first marathon, too. You build this thing up in your head for a year and then it’s over, which I think often has a big effect. I didn’t run nearly as fast as I’d hoped so I ended up pretty depressed about it for a while.

Yeah I feel like I had one shot and I messed it up :(

You always have mom's spaghetti

that is actually just spaghetti squash and reduced salt tomato sauce

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Hakkes I also want to stop hearing this down talk. You rocked yesterday. You rocked the law school process. I look forward to the Hakke for President run in 2032.

but I grew up watching pokemon

don't you understand Mazzy

FlamboyantPreciousArieltoucan.gif

Well maybe don't run for president then, not sure that is where the very best are...

The [chat] leaks would be very damaging

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hakkes I also want to stop hearing this down talk. You rocked yesterday. You rocked the law school process. I look forward to the Hakke for President run in 2032.

but I grew up watching pokemon

don't you understand Mazzy

FlamboyantPreciousArieltoucan.gif

Well maybe don't run for president then, not sure that is where the very best are...

uh yeah it's uh

not looking too great atm

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

It's a stand in for the various R&M things that would be shouted

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    All conversations about depressing cartoons would be better as discussions about Bojack Horseman, the depressingest cartoon.
    tyrannus wrote: »

I have enough sad in my life already

Bojack as a show is at least a smart and constructive form of sad.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    If R&M is no big deal and most fans are reasonable I dare you to go into a dave and busters on a saturday afternoon and shout "I'M PICKLE RICK! REEEEEEEE"
    Surely there will be mostly stunned silence and people glaring at you and not a cacophony of echoed responses

I'm not really sure what you could shout in place of that and get a positive reaction.

I started singing “Die Wacht am Rhein” and a bunch of buttholes started singing “La Marseillaise“

Casablanca fans, man
    I want to live in a universe where this spontaneously happens.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    I got really down after my first marathon, too. You build this thing up in your head for a year and then it’s over, which I think often has a big effect. I didn’t run nearly as fast as I’d hoped so I ended up pretty depressed about it for a while.

Yeah I feel like I had one shot and I messed it up :(

You always have mom's spaghetti

that is actually just spaghetti squash and reduced salt tomato sauce

i'm not even kidding this past week my mom made "spaghetti sauce" consisting of, of course, whatever the fuck was around, and KETCHUP

it was disgusting and sweet and she only added it because the BOTTLE WAS CLOSE BY

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the pickle rick episode was funny

• Options
    All sadness can be constructive just like how losing and replacing a finger is constructive

Would prefer to keep the finger

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Casablanca fans, man
    I want to live in a universe where this spontaneously happens.

I would keel over from emotions

Gets me every time

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Most of the “Rick and Morty fans are terrible” evidence is manufactured copypasta jokes on the level of “what the fuck did you just say about me you fucking little bitch I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the navy seals and...”

I am astonished that people take it seriously.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand chat humor. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical shitposting most of the jokes will go over a typical lurker's head. There's also chat's pessimistic outlook, which is deftly woven into its characterisation - their personal philosophy draws heavily from vintage erotica, for instance. The daily posters understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike chat humor truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humor in "butts" which itself is a cryptic reference to the old burlesque houses of early 20th century France. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as chat's genius unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a gengar tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Or fin, in this case

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone should be required to watch anything depressing if they don't want to, except Ludious, specifically.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    w00t! got an appointment in 9 days and they take my insurance so my copay is only $35!

that's some really amazing news :mrgreen:

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    @Pony
    There is an episode where Rick gets black out drunk and does a bunch of horrible stuff. Then he sees a video of himself and starts saying to people something along the lines of "Oh shit that's drunk Rick be careful I don't know what he's up to." . The important thing to me was that he said he as if it was clearly an other. As an addict and alcoholic I really felt like that showed how we think. Blackout drunk DUE and the person typing to you right now are two different people and I generally tend to have no idea what the wasted version of me does but he is surprisingly capable. I am not proud of that but when someone says "we talked for an hour last night" and I have no memory of it that has become so routine that I just shrug it off and take another drink. I don't think Rick is presented as a protagonist at all but I see him as a troubled and terribly flawed narcissistic individual who has hurt everyone around him in some weird effort to make up for the fact that he can't find happiness. I think that is the message of the show. Not that it's good to be Rick. Unfortunately, it seems like less experienced people just see it as a message to be an asshole. For me when they talk about Rick making a video and soiling himself without remembering i'm thinking "haha i've been there" but also I do recognize that i'm a vile and horrible person.

The thing is though I think Rick is set up to be that. I cannot see any point where Rick is shown to be an intelligent arbiter. He is pragmatic and cruel and his family idolizes him for no reason other than the fact that he wooed them with charisma. Is the show bad because people don't see that or am I reading more into it because of my personal experiences of being a moderately charismatic drunk asshole?

I feel like that kind of stuff is undermined by
    Nihilistic claptrap like this at the end of ABCs of Beth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLda_P25gMQ

There's a lot of misanthropic philosophy in there that's Harmon's own, about how smart people are burdened in a way that ordinary or stupid people are not, blah blah blah jerk-off motions, and it's pathetic and demonstrably wrong?

But golly is it a soothing balm to disaffected angry white nerds who feel like all they fucking have is their intellect as their identity.
    Nihilism is impractical.

"my advice is take off"

"if nothing matters why would you do that for me?"

"if nothing matters maybe it means that you mean so little I like you. maybe i love you."

how is that bad? it seems to me that he is telling her to experience the universe and grow as a person because yes it turns out that we are all on big rocks living painful and inconsequential lives but that doesn't mean we can't learn and grow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't think anyone should be required to watch anything depressing if they don't want to, except Ludious, specifically.

I fucked your mother

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Hrm, weather forecast has changed from <1 inch of snow projected to 1-3 inches of snow projected. The snow day DRAWS EVER CLOSER.

Probably means I just have to drive to work in the snow instead but I can dream!

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Bojack is legitimately upsetting to watch. I have to parcel it out because if I binge it, I just sit and stare into nothin for a while after.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

I fucked your mother

you've never even been to canada

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

It's a stand in for the various R&M things that would be shouted

It's a shitty internet autism thing I thought.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    w00t! got an appointment in 9 days and they take my insurance so my copay is only $35!

So wait..you don't have a job anymore though? Your insurance is OK? I'm real confused.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I started my pc gaming career on a trackball mouse. I don't even remember why. But really mouse look wasn't originally in fps games.

It wasn't in the first couple iterations (DOOM/DN3D) but I think the original quakes allowed it as an option and it was standard by quake 3 / unreal / half-life in '98

Yeah that's what I meant, like doom, dn3d, or even descent. Hell I remember playing duke with a flight stick originally. I want to say there was a specific two stick controllers sold for duke.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Eddy I'm sending you to a convent

• Options
    hot take: i thought s2 of R&M was garbage but s3 was great

the citadel episode was amazing

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Bojack is legitimately upsetting to watch. I have to parcel it out because if I binge it, I just sit and stare into nothin for a while after.

Only other show that's done that to me is breaking bad.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

My most recent Bojack binge finished a day or so before the new Ducktales started

Perfect timing

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    anyway I'm going to drop the R&M issue because, as fairly pointed out, I didn't watch the finale and I ain't gonna so it's not a completely informed opinion

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

my biggest problem with bojack is that i'd make every bad decision he has made.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Most of the “Rick and Morty fans are terrible” evidence is manufactured copypasta jokes on the level of “what the fuck did you just say about me you fucking little bitch I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the navy seals and...”

I am astonished that people take it seriously.

you just dont get the jokes dk

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    anyway I'm going to drop the R&M issue because, as fairly pointed out, I didn't watch the finale and I ain't gonna so it's not a completely informed opinion

Same except for all of season 3.

I thought Season 2 was just not that good.

• Options
    Matt

Talk about Casablanca

Best movie, or merely greatest movie?

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Yo that's awesome

I have not been to the person I'm seeing in well over a month but I'm thinking it might be useful to get a therapist's outlook on my life situation since my own perspective is of course too biased

...but I realized that one of the meeting opportunities I offered the customer is the morning I have an appointment so uh maybe I won't be seeing her for another while

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options

I fucked your mother

you've never even been to canada

She's accessible in California seeing as she's the Cascadia Megathrust

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i mean, it's not like rick and morty is funny anyway

cartoons are for children

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If you ever need to find a dave and busters, just look for the most boring suburban area on any given map next to like rows of track houses. That's where the D&B would be.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    i fucking love bojack

i think it might be my favourite tv show that isn't a garbage police procedural that i can binge watch for 20 hours at a time without turning my brain on

This discussion has been closed.