Options

I love [VIRTUAL REALITY], it's so bad.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I wish I could like Bridge Crew as much as some do, but it's a great idea inside a game that is shallow and repetitive. There simply isn't enough meat to the combat, yet combat is pretty much all there is. Sure, more of a narrative would already help a lot by contextualising what you're doing, but Tactical and especially Engineering are so boring to play, with little in the way of actual, well, tactics. And apart from the aesthetics, pretty much everything I watched Star Trek for is absent. I had some good times hanging out on the bridge of a Starfleet vessel with mates, but as a VR game, and especially as a Star Trek game, Bridge Crew is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever played.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    See, I think there's plenty of room for tactics and coordination in the game that exists, but the encounters you get handed (outside of the last couple of set-pieces in the six-mission campaign) are nerfed enough that tactics don't matter, so that players don't bang their heads against a wall when their fellow bridge officers are drunk or trolling or unskilled.

All the really cool things you can do with split-second timing and coordination between disabling systems, rerouting power, damaging systems, etc. don't matter if you can just lob torpedoes at birds of prey until they pop.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Did Oculus do something in a recent(ish) driver that changed the way the sensors work? For a few weeks Oculus Home has had a reminder asking me to run the setup, and when I finally did, it wanted me to move one of my sensors closer in. The tension pole it's attached to is kind of a pain to move so I haven't done it yet, but it has been kind of jumpy lately -- every once in a while it briefly loses tracking on the Touch controllers, a minor annoyance.

Also: has anyone been following the recently-concluded Pimax Kickstarter? I wasn't keen on joining a crowdfund, especially so soon after my current setup, but I'm still interested in seeing if their headsets are going to be a significant step up over the Vive & Rift.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The moment you've all been waiting for is tomorrow! Pre-orders up now with the full release on Feb. 27th for $30. If you've got PSVR, give it a play!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Great PSVR Black Friday deal. $199 for the headset, $199 for a PS4. Granted I'd recommend a Pro model and you still need the camera and accessories but it's still a good deal. Also, RE7 for $15 (now that's a steal). Not a bad way to play some of the PSVR exclusives.

https://uploadvr.com/target-black-friday-psvr-ps4-re7/

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I keep trying to play Everspace, and it keeps trying to be played; but is not very good at "responding to control input" for any reasonable period of time.

House of the Dying Sun, however, is picking up the the space shooter slack nicely.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

It says, in the description:

Battlezone®
    EVE: Valkyrie
    Moss
    Star Child
    The Persistence
    Thumper
    Tiny Trax
    Dino Frontier *
    Fantastic Contraption *
    Job Simulator *
    Raw Data *
    Rez Infinite *

(yeah...looks to be a few repeats in there)

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

It says, in the description:

Battlezone®
    EVE: Valkyrie
    Moss
    Star Child
    The Persistence
    Thumper
    Tiny Trax
    Dino Frontier *
    Fantastic Contraption *
    Job Simulator *
    Raw Data *
    Rez Infinite *

(yeah...looks to be a few repeats in there)

Yeah. For some reason, the page I copied the address from was not showing that information. Then, when I used it as a link, it did. Weird.

• Options
    Moss demo in there. That will be cool.

• Options
    My friend who did all the animations for Moss will be loving to hear some feedback.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My friend who did all the animations for Moss will be loving to hear some feedback.

I haven't played it yet (hopefully tonight), but in the trailers the mouse animations were really awesome. The only weird animation I noticed was the butterfly in some scenes. It flapped it's wings but its body almost followed a smooth bezier curve. It's didn't "flutter" enough with each flap of the wings. But I honestly wouldn't have noticed it (but since you asked I gave it a closer look)

• Options
    Rothgarr wrote: »

I haven't played it yet (hopefully tonight), but in the trailers the mouse animations were really awesome. The only weird animation I noticed was the butterfly in some scenes. It flapped it's wings but its body almost followed a smooth bezier curve. It's didn't "flutter" enough with each flap of the wings. But I honestly wouldn't have noticed it (but since you asked I gave it a closer look)

Cool. Any feedback will be cool. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the E3 build, so a lot of stuff might be already fixed/different by now.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Did Oculus do something in a recent(ish) driver that changed the way the sensors work? For a few weeks Oculus Home has had a reminder asking me to run the setup, and when I finally did, it wanted me to move one of my sensors closer in. The tension pole it's attached to is kind of a pain to move so I haven't done it yet, but it has been kind of jumpy lately -- every once in a while it briefly loses tracking on the Touch controllers, a minor annoyance.

Also: has anyone been following the recently-concluded Pimax Kickstarter? I wasn't keen on joining a crowdfund, especially so soon after my current setup, but I'm still interested in seeing if their headsets are going to be a significant step up over the Vive & Rift.
    Weirdly my Vive did the same thing a few times, saying they were to far after being set up for months. I have them pretty much max distance. I ignored it for sometime.

Eventually it desynced. But one sensor was held up with tape. Perhaps it jiggled slightly and didn't like it?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Office Depot will be running a Black Friday online only special for the Vive. $600, and includes Fallout 4 VR and the Deluxe Audio Strap. Starts on Thanksgiving day.

If you have any interest in the Vive at this point, it's worth it just to get it with the DAS at that price.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Office Depot will be running a Black Friday online only special for the Vive. $600, and includes Fallout 4 VR and the Deluxe Audio Strap. Starts on Thanksgiving day.

If you have any interest in the Vive at this point, it's worth it just to get it with the DAS at that price.

Are they, now. Gonna have to investigate if employee discounts can be applied to online orders.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I have no room for the Vive.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Living that VR life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEYPoQhpsY4

This is Monza in the Ferrari 488 GTE in iRacing. Nothing quite like driving an Italian thoroughbred at Monza. Was a decent lap, I made a mistake in the second chicane, clipped the inside a bit much. Probably cost me 2 tenths, which would have put this lap in the 1:46's. It was a great lap anyway, if I did this lap in a race I'd be ecstatic. At the end you can see my triple take the lap time, as it's about 4 tenths faster than any of my previous laps, lol.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

Cool. Any feedback will be cool. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the E3 build, so a lot of stuff might be already fixed/different by now.

I took too long to figure out one of the puzzles (I didn’t pick up on the fact that I needed to interact with a part of the environment in a certain way, though in retrospect it was perfectly obvious) and Moss “explained” it to me, and now I’m going to go back and “take too long” with all the other puzzles just to see what Moss will do.

The determined little nod Moss gives you when
    the giant fucking rattlesnake shows up
    is just ...man, I am looking forward to this game.

Additional comment: the light rigging in this game is amazing - the way that outdoor spaces are intimate and detailed little stages, where you are big and Moss is tiny, but looking off into the trees makes it clear that the whole space you’re in is set off from the “normal” world not just by distance, but by scale ...and to do that with the quality of the light!?

This is going to be something really special.

_
  • Options

Agreed with everything @hlprmnky said. Really well done.

And I think I spent way too much time interacting with the environments just to see the grass/leaves move by walking through/jumping on them. That mouse is just so damn cute, I often leaned in all the way just to get a nice, close look at him.

I didn't have any problems with any of the puzzles themselves, but I was surprised at how difficult the first encounter with some bad guys was -- I died quickly! Made quick work of them the second try.

I wish the demo were longer, can't wait for the full version to come out.

• Options

I didn't have any problems with any of the puzzles themselves, but I was surprised at how difficult the first encounter with some bad guys was -- I died quickly! Made quick work of them the second try.
    When the penny dropped that I could pick up and hold one of the bugs while also piloting Moss to fight the other (after also dying on the first try) was even one more place where this ~15 minutes of demo delighted and amazed me. Teamwork carries the day! :biggrin:

_
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Does anyone have any advice for video playback programs for the Oculus? The included Oculus video is meager at best, and many of my existing videos either don't play, or have no sound whatsoever.

I'm also interested in 360° playback, which I see on some YouTube videos, but have no idea how to view through the Oculus.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any advice for video playback programs for the Oculus? The included Oculus video is meager at best, and many of my existing videos either don't play, or have no sound whatsoever.

I'm also interested in 360° playback, which I see on some YouTube videos, but have no idea how to view through the Oculus.

Been using Whirligig since DK1; there might be better things, but the only alternatives I've seen recommended are Win10 only.

KolorEyes is decent, but seems to run less efficiently, though I think it connected to a library of online content. If you're mostly interested in watching Pacific Rim 3D an unhealthy number of times, go Whirligig.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Whirligig looks like exactly what I'm searching for. Many thanks!

• Options
    Please note that the game is called Moss, but the mouse is named Quill. Also, Quill is a girl. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Went and bought Duck Season a little while ago. Turned out to be the most fun I've gotten out of my Vive to date, and to think it was just £15.

Thoroughly enjoyable environments, neat mechanic with the shotgun in the duck shooting segments, and
    I was genuinely terrified when spinning around on the spot with my flashlight and baseball bat in my dark house at night trying to see what direction the murderous dog was coming from

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    How big of a difference is there between the PS4 and PS4 Pro when it comes to VR games? I've heard that Bethesda has been showing off Skyrim VR on PS4 Pro, and I'm a bit concerned that it'll look like hell on the vanilla system.

Not that the difference will matter much. It's not like I have $500 to throw down on a Pro right now.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Please note that the game is called Moss, but the mouse is named Quill. Also, Quill is a girl. :)

I was wondering that myself. Not sure if it was a'splained at the beginning of the demo -- I sort skipped the text on the pages you had to flip.

• Options
    How big of a difference is there between the PS4 and PS4 Pro when it comes to VR games? I've heard that Bethesda has been showing off Skyrim VR on PS4 Pro, and I'm a bit concerned that it'll look like hell on the vanilla system.

Not that the difference will matter much. It's not like I have $500 to throw down on a Pro right now.

I don't think there's much of a difference. I've seen some comparison videos and in some games on the Pro there are sharper textures, more shadows, higher supersampling, etc. But unless someone specifically pointed it out to me I would never know the difference. Maybe watch a few "PSVR PS4 vs PS4 Pro" videos and see if you can spot any differences. With that great Black Friday sale coming up I wouldn't be hesitant recommending people get the PS4 Amateur over the Pro.

That being said, who knows what the future holds -- if they are able to tap more power of the Pro or what.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    The Game Awards 2017 Nominees - Best VR/AR Game
    • Superhot VR
    • Star Trek: Bridge Crew
    • Lone Echo/Echo Arena
    • Farpoint
    • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

26904.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    • Superhot VR
    • Lone Echo/Echo Arena
    • Farpoint

i'd say Superhot out of that list, though Resident Evil is likely the most "complete" game experience, I just have no desire to play it in VR.

My go to game is still Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    • Superhot VR
    • Lone Echo/Echo Arena
    • Farpoint

I love Star Trek: Bridge Crew but Superhot VR changed how I think about what a game is so I guess that’s where my vote goes.

_
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Time to stop playing Superhot VR for today. I was in the plane level, third wave; I dropped down, stuck my arm out, shot the first guy; his gun fell just out of reach behind the seat I was using for cover.

Still crouching down, I leaned on the seat with my left hand, to give me more stability so I could reach around the corner with my right hand without having to lean out and expose the rest of my body

and fell over, because the seats aren't really there

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Time to stop playing Superhot VR for today. I was in the plane level, third wave; I dropped down, stuck my arm out, shot the first guy; his gun fell just out of reach behind the seat I was using for cover.

Still crouching down, I leaned on the seat with my left hand, to give me more stability so I could reach around the corner with my right hand without having to lean out and expose the rest of my body

and fell over, because the seats aren't really there

If it was not for the wrist straps, I would have dropped my Touch controllers about 4,962,624,626,452 times by attempting to put them down on an ingame desk before taking off the headset to go and do something else.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    • Superhot VR
    • Lone Echo/Echo Arena
    • Farpoint
    [*] Arizona Sunshine (was that this year?)
    [*] Gorn
    [*] Raw Data

• Options
    If I had to pick from that list I'd go with RE7, then Superhot, then Farpoint.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    • Superhot VR
    • Lone Echo/Echo Arena
    • Farpoint
    [*] Arizona Sunshine (was that this year?)
    [*] Gorn
    [*] Raw Data
    Yeah, some of the choices (or games that weren't chosen) make no sense to me. Example, in the GOTY category PUBG is listed and triple-A stuff like Nier are excluded. (It really doesn't matter since HZD is going to win anyway.)

26904.png
  • Options
    Anyone here play Rush of Blood: Until Dawn? Anyone here play it all the way to the end?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Anyone here play Until Dawn: Rush of Blood? Anyone here play it all the way to the end?
    I just started it. Only finished the first level. Good game, but I'm glad I waited for it to go free on PSN Plus, I've heard it's pretty short.
    I know that @Mr_Grinch here is a big fan of it.

Seems some people have gotten Skyrim PSVR early. Nice to see that you can have regular-style motion (not teleportation) even with the Move controllers. And you can turn off the annoying 'tunnel vision' effect (designed for people with inferior vestibular systems/lacking iron-clad diamondillium coated stomachs).

This is my fifth copy of Skyrim now. Twice on XB360 (physical, then digital); once on PC; then the Special Edition on the XB1, and now PSVR...
    And I'm even tempted by the Switch version.
    I must be mad... :P :ellipses:

I've been watching videos of people fumbling with the controls, and have to sigh a bit; because people who get games early are pretty much always whispering idiots:

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Anyone here play Until Dawn: Rush of Blood? Anyone here play it all the way to the end?
    I just started it. Only finished the first level. Good game, but I'm glad I waited for it to go free on PSN Plus, I've heard it's pretty short.
    I know that @Mr_Grinch here is a big fan of it.
    I have to say, Rush of Blood is one of my favorite VR experiences to date. Sure you play it sitting down, and no you don't play full 360 degrees but I find it really satisfying. I got it back in December 2016 and I finally finished it last night. It's definitely not a long game, but I kept going back to try to do better on levels before allowing me to advance to the next. If you play the easiest mode you'll finish it in one setting. Play it on Normal or Insane.

It's also the first game I let anyone play when they try VR for the first time. It's super intuitive. Plus the jump scares are comedy gold.

Anyway, the reason I asked if anyone else finished it is I wanted to ask if the ending cut scene was as lame to anyone else as it was for me. I'm curious if the cut scenes are different depending on how well you do or if you take alternate paths in the levels.

Rothgarr on
This discussion has been closed.