As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[5E OOC] Before the Darkness - "Who Watches the Poopmen"

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    yeah, that is a notably better item, but it's also rare, which makes it at the DM's discretion, and a lot of money.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Githyanki get medium armor proficiency, and a +1 bonus to intelligence!

They also get a +2 to strength, which is harder to make useful as a wizard.

edit: bonus! githyanki can grow beards!

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    oh wow, +1 armour is rare. that is something i did not know.

They really want you to work for extra AC don't they? like getting up to 16 is pretty easy, but everything after that, you're going to put in work. Oh well, i guess i'm sticking with 20 ac then.

but i think i got stuff figured out. I have a pre mirror back story, some reasons why the mirror thing is moderately ironic, and a likely defunked knight order. once i got a name for this character iw ill start bugging rainfall with my pms once more.

Yeah, AC is locked down pretty tight in 5E. Defense Paladins can hit 23 with Full Plate, a shield, Defense Fighting Style, and Shield of Faith, accessible at very low levels, but that's temporary. A level 20 Barbarian that stacked dex and con can hit 26, until Level 20 the best they can hit is 22, and that's essentially it. Adding a +3 Shield, Cloak of Protection, and +3 Armor to that is an additional +7, putting the Paladin at 30, Barbarian skips the armor and also ends up at 30. Anything past that is straight up shenanigans or unviable for a single character to achieve.

So overall I think what they attempted to avoid with Bounded AC was requiring enemies to get better than 20 to hit their foes. They didn't do an amazing job of it, but I'm inclined to offer AC increases at a lower pace than to-hit increases. One of the first 5E campaigns I played in had a Paladin using Dodge and the rest of the party working with him to clog up choke points and make it impossible for anything to actually happen on monster turns, and it was very silly but the GM(not me) was furious.

Anyway that's just some thoughts on AC, shrug.

I'll take this as a sign that I should just take that +1 shield. :)

I MAY take a cloak of protection, tho. I just hate using my attunement slots on combat stuff. Speaking of which, did you see my above post re: equipment?

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    i am perfectly okay with boring reliable gear.

also i have a theory the reason why the glaive and halberd exist as seperate items is because glaive is meant to be a sword, and halberd is meant to be an axe.

that is my theory, i am sticking with it.

• Options
    they're good polearms, molding

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Dubh wrote: »
    Okay, magic item questions for my Tortle. Asking the GM for goodies sorta makes me feel uncomfortable because it feels 'metagamey,' so I'm spoilering everything to hide my shame.
    Magic staff: so the staff of the woodlands was sorta a "uhhhhh not sure what else I can get" I would have asked for the staff of blighting in a heartbeat if it had any actual bonus to attack + damage. Is it possible to get one with a bonus, or could I convince you to let me have a staff of striking? :D No biggie if that's a big no.

Shield: It would be cool to have a +2 shield, but I'm okay with waiting on this one if you'd prefer. A +1 Sentinel Shield would be even more rad!

In general, it would be nice to have weapon/shield/armor (lol my tortle can't even wear armor) that can be given some bonuses. I presume that it's okay to toss in the silly enchants on my gear if I pay the gold for it, but lemme know what you think.

I'd rather not burn my attunement slots ALL on my basic gear, tho. Having a good staff is paramount, regardless, since it's my spell focus and an okay weapon for a druid.

Okay, now that the boring magic items are out of the way, can I make a personal request for some neat enchanted robes/clothing later on? I'm really feeling the lack of super varied magic items, here, because the only two robes that I can equip and like are the robe of eyes, and the robe of scintillating colors (the former comes with a significant flaw, however). Honestly, I'm up for anything new that does cool stuff.

No you cannot have a Staff of Striking or an extra-enchanted Staff of Withering. Staff of the Woodlands is a pretty potent pick as-is, and I'm okay with that(3000 GP price tag from your 5000 starting gold.) You can have a Shield +1, or a Sentinel Shield. Your choice! You cannot have a +2 Shield or +1 Sentinel Shield unless you want to give up on having a nice Staff.

Enchanted clothes are a can-do for drops, I'll keep my eyes out,

Rainfall on
  • Options
    okay... MOM (thank you!)

and, yeah, the staff of the woodlands is pretty alright on a third glance

gives me a +2 to spell attacks as well!

still ain't no staff of power, but I can't do anything about that

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    they're good polearms, molding

yeah but it explains why two identical weapons exist.

also, i am currently working on a rough draft for my character's holy symbol.

it is amazingly dumb as far as ideas go.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    okay... MOM (thank you!)

and, yeah, the staff of the woodlands is pretty alright on a third glance

gives me a +2 to spell attacks as well!

still ain't no staff of power, but I can't do anything about that

I will give anyone who wants a Staff of Power.

BUT

There may be...

Consequences.

Also I guess you can't use one because you're not an arcane caster, nyeh.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    give scott one

don't let him have a chance to say no

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    this idea is turning out to be bigger and dumber than i expected.

i might need to employ the services of someone with more than just ms paint.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    wow, they made primal savagery an actually good spell

guess I don't need to worry about my staff as much!

PREPARE FOR ACIDIC BITES, EVIL-DOERS

edit: I've already spent way too much money on art, lately. Ugh. I'm still waiting until next month to get Personface to draw a good portrait for Auraj (she's the right artist for my weird-ass character)

not sure who'd I want to draw my tortle! I should probably get that done first so I can have a custom token

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    just so "
    Githyanki get medium armor proficiency, and a +1 bonus to intelligence!

They also get a +2 to strength, which is harder to make useful as a wizard.

edit: bonus! githyanki can grow beards!

just so @The Hanged Man doesn't miss this

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    this idea is turning out to be bigger and dumber than i expected.

i might need to employ the services of someone with more than just ms paint.

Send me a description. I brought my drawing tablet with me.

Also, Gith are mechanically interesting, but their culture isn’t something I find super appealing. Thanks for the suggestions though! And don’t worry too much about it, I’ve got this guy built to my satisfaction.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    well, my tortle is gonna have an awakened shrub for a pet

its' name is Scrubbert, and it (somehow) barks like a small dog

edit: it also turns out that it's more intelligent than Tusk or Angus with a score of 10!

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Zephy, Tortle Druid of Dreams

the numbers don't show up in the preview, but they're all there I promise

edit: If you want to draw her, Scott, I'll buy you a pizza. Or something.

double edit: I forgot to update her attacks, but that's not super urgent atm

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    i am guessing the part will be no more charismatic than before. maybe a little bit.

• Options
    she is slightly more charismatic than Auraj

probably helps that she's not a huge fucking weirdo

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    got chimera to work with more tools and skill on the idea for a holy symbol i had

dkHtTkrm.png

it's got, some rough parts, but i think it gets across the idea.

• Options
    got some mundane gear stuff and a knight order to work out but i present the basics of

Gawyndia Tamperlie, Questing Knight

i also have some ideas for the Shakira, Goddess of Dance and Truth as well.

• Options
    hey nerds

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    sup?

• Options
    hey nerds

What uuup

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    We be riding nerdy

• Options
    Scott had a thought: this coming Thursday is American Thanksgiving, so us here in middle of North America might not be available to make it.

• Options
    Oh jeez yeah that's true I guess

• Options
    scott would be aware of american gluttony day.

• Options
    I forget about almost all holidays except for new years, but American Thanksgiving always comes as a shock. What the heck is it doing in November?

• Options
    wanna make the next game a tuesday, again?

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    wanna make the next game a tuesday, again?

Nah, I'm starting up a second gig for some of my RL friends that's tuesdays.

• Options
    mumbleday?

• Options
    I'm still free on Tgiving, come to think of it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I cannot guarantee when I'd be back from the relatives on Thursday, but I think Scott said he might be available.

• Options
    I’ll probably be available around our normal play time. I may not be in any state resembling a functional human being, but Tusk is pretty uniquely suited to endure portrayal in that state.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Psst hey nerds
    dtm0cd2e6jqi.jpeg

Me on left, Doug on right!

• Options
    When we tried to connect I said " normally saying the chubby guy with long hair, a beard and glasses is enough to narrow it down to find me." Not so at a Con!

• Options
    i don't mean this in a bad way, but scott is more hansom than i pictured in my head.

• Options
    look at those good boys

glad that we only have the good boys and girls in this group

and finally I can call you by your actual name, Doug, unless you want me to keep calling you Iggy

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited November 2017
    they need to make goth elves less op so I can make one as a character, without the guilt

edit: actually, on second glance their special ability doesn't look all that ridiculous

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    iunno, teleport 15 feet as a bonus action isn't that strong but the resist all damage part is.