Options

[Battlerite]: Fast-Paced Arena Hero Brawler!

124»

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Battlerite plays more like... I dunno, WoW Arenas than... maybe either of those?

It's got a MOBA-esque control scheme (except WASD instead of mouse movement) but it's pretty far removed from MOBAs in general, no?

except unlike wow arenas this is actually good OOOOH SHOTS FUCKIN' FIRED :bzz:

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Bloodline Champions (the proto Battlerite) was literally the devs wanting WoW arena but good and skill based.

Also Destiny is a lot of fun but the real issue is that her ultimate is both the most fun and the worst use of her meter. It's such a bad habit.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Battlerite feels like it's just reskinned Bloodline Champs... I don't actually know what's different about it in terms of mechanics or hero design!

As someone that has spent hundreds of hours playing MOBAs, for me personally it feels like an exit MOBA rather than an entrance MOBA. I want to get out of the time I've spent playing MOBAs, but I'd like to have something which scratches a bit of the MOBA itch.

So it's like the methadone of MOBAs?

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    A buddy of mine and I finished our 2's ranked placement matches and landed gold 5, which is okay by us.

I think we could've eeked out a higher gold slot or even plat because our team (Thorn + Blossom) feels great but very situational. Seems like there are quite a few comps that shut us down too easily.

Gotta practice some more and see if we can't find something that's a bit more universally safe. Without drafts and bans it seems like the only real logical approach to ranked.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    My gosh I'm going to spend all the money till I get Blossom:

Album of the Christmas items

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Wow, lots of good skins in there. Blossom and Thorn are my targets for sure. The hamster reindeer is so damn cute too. They did a great job.

• Options
    So Alysia seems pretty much my jam in terms of being a control mage kind of ranged character.

She also has zero bad battlerites and trying to figure out builds is nigh impossible.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

BR:BR is in EA. https://store.steampowered.com/app/879160/Battlerite_Royale/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXHCUaGrBpQ

So I am conflicted. Heavily conflicted, because fuck these developers for not just rewarding their Early Access buyers of Battlerite with free copies of Battlerite: BR. HOWEVER, after watching some gameplay, it is practically a new game with items, upgradable re-done abilities, a huge ass map, and a ton of polish for another Early Access release. So I want to buy it because it looks really fun, but at the same time I feel like they kind of abandoned the original Battlerite to make this game now. What's everyone else's thoughts?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Of course, *now* they put out a coupon for half-off Royale if you owned the original...

I'm actually not mad, though, because it's a hell of a lot of fun. I think this is the first time I've actually really found a BR that I want to stick with?

I had a wonderful moment last night using a fake chest that someone fell for. Wasn't expecting it to spew *that* many bombs, but I lay in ambush position and swept in to kill them while they were low from the explosions.

Havn't gotten a win yet, but did get several top 5's, and one bronze.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Of course, *now* they put out a coupon for half-off Royale if you owned the original...

I'm actually not mad, though, because it's a hell of a lot of fun. I think this is the first time I've actually really found a BR that I want to stick with?

I had a wonderful moment last night using a fake chest that someone fell for. Wasn't expecting it to spew *that* many bombs, but I lay in ambush position and swept in to kill them while they were low from the explosions.

Havn't gotten a win yet, but did get several top 5's, and one bronze.

I am kinda sorta tempted to use this 50% off coupon, even though I bought into the first EA Battlerite and then ended up not playing it once it was fully released.

Are games quick to get into? The negative reviews seem to mostly revolve around long time Battlerite players being mad at the developers for making this game instead of continuing support for Battlerite, or mad that the game is more RNG, both of which are ignorable for me I think. Hrrmmmmm.

• Options
    I think I was maybe in the matchmaking queue for maybe max two minutes? Usually it'd find a game after 30 seconds to a minute. And then there's the pre-match lobby while you wait for everyone to load in and where you buy your starting items. Once everyone's there, it kicks off after 30 seconds.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Game will be fully F2P once it leaves EA. I have the 50% off coupon which I'm tempted to use after watching some streams of it, but I won't lose any sleep if I wait. The game does look really fun, though.

Undead Monkey on
  • Options
    I buckled, used my coupon and my friend's coupon to get two copies and we're doing duos. I think I prefer singles though, more crazy fights. Fun game, but I dunno how long it will last.

• Options
    Oh neat, they gave out a bunch of diamonds for those of us who got Royale before the coupons actually went out.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I buckled, used my coupon and my friend's coupon to get two copies and we're doing duos. I think I prefer singles though, more crazy fights. Fun game, but I dunno how long it will last.

I bought it, too, and I've been having a lot of fun with it. Won 5 duos matches this last Saturday and got 2 of the 3 Royale mounts. Jumong + Sirius is a pretty awesome comp. I'd love to learn more champions, but it's hard to abandon what works so well for my duos partner and me.

As to how long it will last? I dunno. SLS has a bad track record of abandoning projects or allowing them to stagnate for way too long. If they keep up with development and continue to add content, it could go for awhile carried solely on the fact it is the only MOBA style BR on the market right now.

Otherwise, the game is in need of some serious tweaks in the balance department, but it is very polished and runs super smooth.

Undead Monkey on
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Like many of you guys, I was on the fence on this until I saw some people streaming it. It looked like a lot of fun, and the coupon was too much to resist.

I'm loving the game so far! I'm a big fan of MOBAs and battle royales so I'm glad this game is good. I think they've made a lot of good design decisions to adjust their game to a BR format. Haven't played nearly enough of it to know if the characters are balanced or not, but the core gameplay seems pretty solid.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I was thinking about it this morning, and after playing all weekend, I'd probably tier the champions as follows:

S: Jamilla, Blossom
    A: Jumong, Bakko, Zander, Varesh
    B: Alysia, Jade, Freya, Raigon, Ashka, Sirius, Ulric
    C: Croak, Shifu, Thorn, Destiny, Pestilus
    D: Iva, Rook

This is, of course, a rough list that doesn't take into account certain things like solos vs duos or early game vs late game. Based on who I played and the matchups I faced, though, this is where I'd put them for now.

Undead Monkey on
  • Options
    Jamilla and Blossom are really good, but I'd even put Varesh in S. If you watch Averse play Varesh, you see crazy potential. That champ is a beast. The rest of it seems close enough.

• Options
    I feel like Croak and Jamila's ability to pick and choose fights with their mobility is a really defining thing in a battle royale where skirmishing is a bigger deal.

• Options
    Croak especially because they can run and dodge forever. I usually target them first in fights because of their mobility.

• Options
    hm

i think regardless of how good battlerite BR is, or how well it does in the long run, i honestly can't forgive SLS for killing off battlerite for this.

battlerite was something cool and unique and offered something that no other game really did. and then SLS caught a whiff of $$$THAT BATTLE ROYALE MONEY$$$ and immediately dropped all support for battlerite, stopped updating the game, left it to stagnate. players dropped off, stopped playing. playerbase dwindled down, that game is basically dead or dying now.

battlerite BR was originally supposed to be a new game mode IN battlerite itself, and i feel like if they stuck with that they could've bolstered their original game's playerbase even more. but instead they made the decision to make it a standalone game, and that's sort of a big ol' middle finger to actual battlerite players. battlerite will probably never be updated again. the battlerite twitter has been nothing but battlerite BR posts for a LONG time now (you can scroll back pretty far and it's nothing on battlerite itself, just hyping up BR before it even launched).

but hey if it's good, w/e i guess. that's cool. i'm not saying people can't enjoy it, i'm just saying i'm really disappointed in SLS for going down this route. but either way i have zero interest in battlerite BR. it just leaves such a sour taste in my mouth for both battlerite BR and SLS and at this point i don't think i can continue to support SLS for having done this.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I'm bummed at the decisions SLS made for the BR mode, too.

However, what I'm most excited about is the potential I'm seeing for more top-down, MOBAesque BR games. I love battle royale as a genre, but I'm really terrible at first person shooters. Sure, I've eaten a bit of that chicken in PUBG, but the wins almost felt like they were on accident. The wins I've had in BRR felt exciting, visceral, and well earned.

So yeah, if another company is able to take this concept and run with it in a non-scummy direction, I'm all for it. I don't want to reward SLS for their shady shit, but they're the only game on the market right now and I'm really enjoying it.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Jamilla and Blossom are really good, but I'd even put Varesh in S. If you watch Averse play Varesh, you see crazy potential. That champ is a beast. The rest of it seems close enough.

Yeah, Averse is inhuman. I really love watching him play.

The only reason I put Varesh in A is because while he is stellar, I feel like he needs to be in the hands of someone like Averse or Teldoo to be consistently effectual. Jamilla and Blossom seem to produce better results without as much effort.

Undead Monkey on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    hm

i think regardless of how good battlerite BR is, or how well it does in the long run, i honestly can't forgive SLS for killing off battlerite for this.

battlerite was something cool and unique and offered something that no other game really did. and then SLS caught a whiff of $$$THAT BATTLE ROYALE MONEY$$$ and immediately dropped all support for battlerite, stopped updating the game, left it to stagnate. players dropped off, stopped playing. playerbase dwindled down, that game is basically dead or dying now.

battlerite BR was originally supposed to be a new game mode IN battlerite itself, and i feel like if they stuck with that they could've bolstered their original game's playerbase even more. but instead they made the decision to make it a standalone game, and that's sort of a big ol' middle finger to actual battlerite players. battlerite will probably never be updated again. the battlerite twitter has been nothing but battlerite BR posts for a LONG time now (you can scroll back pretty far and it's nothing on battlerite itself, just hyping up BR before it even launched).

but hey if it's good, w/e i guess. that's cool. i'm not saying people can't enjoy it, i'm just saying i'm really disappointed in SLS for going down this route. but either way i have zero interest in battlerite BR. it just leaves such a sour taste in my mouth for both battlerite BR and SLS and at this point i don't think i can continue to support SLS for having done this.

This is basically how Fortnite Save the World fans feel as well. It's crazy the extent to which Battle Royale modes have cannibalized other projects at some companies.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    I'm bummed at the decisions SLS made for the BR mode, too.

However, what I'm most excited about is the potential I'm seeing for more top-down, MOBAesque BR games. I love battle royale as a genre, but I'm really terrible at first person shooters. Sure, I've eaten a bit of that chicken in PUBG, but the wins almost felt like they were on accident. The wins I've had in BRR felt exciting, visceral, and well earned.

So yeah, if another company is able to take this concept and run with it in a non-scummy direction, I'm all for it. I don't want to reward SLS for their shady shit, but they're the only game on the market right now and I'm really enjoying it.

yeah i do think there's something to be said about branching out the battle royale genre into more than just shooters. i think that's pretty fertile ground tbh since no one has actually wanted to stray from ~*the formula*~ just yet.

cause like, yeah, man. it doesn't have to just be shooters! it can be other kinds of gameplay.

fuckin' experiment with that shit, ya louts

at the very very very least i do have to give props to SLS for actually taking the first step into uncharted territory in that regard, but that's about as much as i'll give them. cool for expanding the genre, but fuck you for otherwise killing a great game.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    imo that presumes that it wouldn't have died anyway

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I don't think it would've died (unless "died" is defined but SLS's metric for success), but I'm just not sure arena was ever poised for growth.

• Options
    So, yesterday arena mode got a huge update, adding quite a few new mechanics and changes.

And the Royale mode goes free to play today while also bringing over 3 champions from arena. Hopefully it's the shot in the arm the mode needs - last I checked it was sitting around 300ish players.

Both modes are getting a battle pass.

• Options
    I dropped Royale around October of last year, I might reinstall to check the new heroes but I don't think I'm ever going back to regular Battlerite.

• Options
    I dropped Royale around October of last year, I might reinstall to check the new heroes but I don't think I'm ever going back to regular Battlerite.

Same. I do hope BRR thrives. Had a lot of fun and really only moved on because I was playing so many other games at the time.