As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They are [Chat]ions!!!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    People love incremental gear treadmills, though, because they've forgotten what real fun is like

That reminds me, I think I'll play PoE this weekend.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    People love incremental gear treadmills, though, because they've forgotten what real fun is like

How can you forget what you've never really known

Alt answer: its video game realism because life is a pointless incremental grind

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I like managing inventories. I can do it for you.

Most games I play end up as inventory optimization simulators.

I blame Baldurs Gate I/II for this. And for min maxing. Which is essentially the same thing, but on the PC.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

How can you forget what you've never really known

Alt answer: its video game realism because life is a pointless incremental grind

This yeah.

Diablo 3 more like real life than The Sims.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

The legacy of MMOs.

Wasn't it WoW where the dev employed psychologists to maximize the addictive nature, and they found that giving people small rewards for repetitive actions kept players coming back?

I think that's pretty much the entire post-iPhone video game industry that uses this kind of market psychology

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Hot taco

More intense video game looting is a weird legacy of dungeons & dragons and it's actually super fucked up and clashes hard with a lot of narratives it shows up in.

Like the kind where you don't just get coins or energy spheres or a special power-up for killing dudes, but you're directly implied or shown to be taking stuff that dead guy was wearing or using. Bethesda's games make this aggressively explicit, where you can strip bodies down to their skivvies and leave a trail of underwear corpses in their wake (Obsidian was actually aware of this weirdness and changed the weight/value ratios of a lot of armors in Fallout NV to the point that many of them weren't worth taking, so that at the very least you wouldn't strip your enemies bare)

In reality taking stuff, especially clothes, off a dead body is a super gross process that you need to do with some degree of skill and emotional fortitude (which is why we have, y'know, people who do that for a living), at least if you're not dead inside.

But video game protagonists are regularly the kind of people who don't just wantonly murder (a dissonant behavior with the narrative that's often pointed out) but they strip motherfuckers down and loot everything that isn't nailed down and isn't explicitly told to them isn't stealing with some kind of consequence.

In games where the protagonist is, y'know, outright an emotionally deadened husk of a person who barely feels empathy and thinks nothing of rummaging around in the bloody pockets of people he just murdered, that's not that weird. Joel from The Last of Us, for example, don't give a fuck. Joel isn't... Joel isn't a good person.

But other games? It's fucking weird.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I really loved Horizon despite the silly inventory.

Horizon learned from complaints. The dlc gives you a skill to convert inventory into currency. Yeah, a flower can turn into metal shards.

But it let's you clear up room for more mods/resources pretty fast.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I dunno. I still enjoy just shooting mans in D2. Though I will admit that I don't quite feel the need to really put huge time into it at this point.

I'm pretty much in full pretty princess mode now. And if this game had vanity slots they'd probably keep me on even more.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The weird thing is in D&D nobody actually strips the bodies of everything you kill except for "that guy" in my experience, especially after the DM makes it clear that the armor won't fit you, it's probably damaged, it's really gross, and it takes like 15 minutes per body to do it and your party's just going to leave behind and you were killed by falling rocks

edit: I guess everyone goes through their bags and stuff, although you need to be a certain level of fucked up to be voluntarily tromping through the wilderness after lethal monsters anyway

override367 on
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    Hot taco

More intense video game looting is a weird legacy of dungeons & dragons and it's actually super fucked up and clashes hard with a lot of narratives it shows up in.

Like the kind where you don't just get coins or energy spheres or a special power-up for killing dudes, but you're directly implied or shown to be taking stuff that dead guy was wearing or using. Bethesda's games make this aggressively explicit, where you can strip bodies down to their skivvies and leave a trail of underwear corpses in their wake (Obsidian was actually aware of this weirdness and changed the weight/value ratios of a lot of armors in Fallout NV to the point that many of them weren't worth taking, so that at the very least you wouldn't strip your enemies bare)

In reality taking stuff, especially clothes, off a dead body is a super gross process that you need to do with some degree of skill and emotional fortitude (which is why we have, y'know, people who do that for a living), at least if you're not dead inside.

But video game protagonists are regularly the kind of people who don't just wantonly murder (a dissonant behavior with the narrative that's often pointed out) but they strip motherfuckers down and loot everything that isn't nailed down and isn't explicitly told to them isn't stealing with some kind of consequence.

In games where the protagonist is, y'know, outright an emotionally deadened husk of a person who barely feels empathy and thinks nothing of rummaging around in the bloody pockets of people he just murdered, that's not that weird. Joel from The Last of Us, for example, don't give a fuck. Joel isn't... Joel isn't a good person.

If you didn't have the foresight to be The Chosen One Protagonist in the first place your butt-ass naked corpse is frankly your own fault

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    If I don't cross the world stripping corpses bare what's even the point of the multiple nude mods that I meticulously researched, downloaded and installed?

• Options
    The weird thing is in D&D nobody actually strips the bodies of everything you kill except for "that guy" in my experience, especially after the DM makes it clear that the armor won't fit you, it's probably damaged, it's really gross, and it takes like 15 minutes per body to do it and your party's just going to leave behind and you were killed by falling rocks

Right?

People did do this in shitty games of D&D where they simultaneously insisted on ekeing every penny out of every guy they killed... but not on being realistic about how they carried any of that shit.

Only "that guy" tried to do this shit with normal people, because it's fucking ghoulish and weird.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The only time I don't like inventory management is when there's a time pressure involved. I thought I would have that with Dark Souls, but there's pleeeennnnnnnty of time for inventory management without being in danger. I'm experiencing it with PUBG though.

It becomes less of a problem when you learn the game's language in a shorthand manner. Most games I play with 'inventory management' as a thing, I end up learning enough that I know what's garbage and such, so the decision making happens on the fly. In PUBG as soon as I recognize thing by first sight, the management pressure will go away and it'll be less time spent of me reading things while possibly getting beaned in the head.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Hot taco

I mean it's that or breaking people's pottery or just barging in their house and taking stuff out of their footlockers/heirloom treasure chests

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Hot taco

I mean it's that or breaking people's pottery or just barging in their house and taking stuff out of their footlockers/heirloom treasure chests

Or?

The Dragonborn will do all of that.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    If those people didn’t want to be naked they shouldn’t have attacked me with a tire iron when I’m wielding a laser rifle.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I like the idea that hey- this guy has a cool weapon or armor, and I beat him and I can take it now!

None of this, like, oh he died but we left his ancient relic blade of great power and skill just like...lying there

On the floor

It isn't even cursed!

And we left lol

But also video game loot systems are weird

But also mercilessly slaughtering your way across a digital narrative is also weird

• Options
    in my current game I make my familiar rummage for valuables on dead people because it's gross and I don't care about my familiar's emotional well being

• Options
    Call the ASPCF

• Options
    in my current game I make my familiar rummage for valuables on dead people because it's gross and I don't care about my familiar's emotional well being

The plight of the working class in a nutshell

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    also my local Kroger is jettisoning their excess stock of Christmas gifts for 80%

this includes a huge selection of Star Wars LEGO

whoa, raid that shit

• Options
    Arch wrote: »
    I like the idea that hey- this guy has a cool weapon or armor, and I beat him and I can take it now!

None of this, like, oh he died but we left his ancient relic blade of great power and skill just like...lying there

On the floor

It isn't even cursed!

And we left lol

But also mercilessly slaughtering your way across a digital narrative is also weird

tbh I am pretty much done with murder hobo open world RPGs

The last one I played was Mass Effect Andromeda and I was like "this game is fucking dumb. I feel dumb for doing this shit. The well-crafted narrative BioWare is trying here is ramming so fucking hard against their murder heavy open world gameplay, this isn't fun"

• Options
    https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/12/28/16827356/marvel-comics-create-your-own-platform-terms-restrictions
    In a press release today, Marvel announced Create Your Own, a new platform that allows fans to create original comic strips using Marvel characters and stock background illustrations. The tagline is “Your Own Marvel Universe.”
    Here are some highlights from the very long list of no-no’s:

“Content that could frighten or upset young children or the parents of young children.”
    Prescription drugs or over-the-counter medication, vitamins, and dietary supplements.
    Contraceptives
    “Suggestive or revealing images,” including “bare midriffs”
    “Sensationalism,” which is not defined but elucidated with the examples “killer bees, gossip, aliens, scandal, etc.”
    “Obscenity, bad or offensive language” or “proxies for bad or offensive language.” E.g. no “X@#%!”
    “Noises related to bodily functions.”
    No politics, including “alternative lifestyle advocacies”
    Death
    “Misleading language”
    “A copy or parody of current or past Marvel advertising creative”
    Any “controversial topics,” including “social issues”
    Double entendres
    Any amusement parks that aren’t Disney amusement parks
    Any movie studios that aren’t “affiliated with Marvel”
    Guns
    What is even the point.

• Options
    Like, it was pretty cool in Fallout 4 when some raiders attacked me and after I beat them I was like "oh this guy had a cool hat. I guess it's mine now."

but also i didnt like rip all their clothes off and carry them around to sell for caps because that's weird

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    hmm, might watch shape of water this weekend. seems like it'll be a bit higher brow than rewatching the last jedi.

• Options
    edited December 2017

Right?

People did do this in shitty games of D&D where they simultaneously insisted on ekeing every penny out of every guy they killed... but not on being realistic about how they carried any of that shit.

Only "that guy" tried to do this shit with normal people, because it's fucking ghoulish and weird.

I remember one of the designers of D&D 5e said on twitter that he typically uses encumbrance rules sparingly because they can get in the way, but they're a DM tool to stop a player from throwing 50 dead bodies in their bag or hauling off an ancient altar or any other preposterous and time consuming things players want to do once they've finished up in battle

override367 on
  • Options

On the floor

It isn't even cursed!

And we left lol

The last one I played was Mass Effect Andromeda and I was like "this game is fucking dumb. I feel dumb for doing this shit. The well-crafted narrative BioWare is trying here is ramming so fucking hard against their murder heavy open world gameplay, this isn't fun"

I'm not disagreeing with you. I really liked Horizon, but it got really weird when nearly every person you met outside the village was like RAR IM GONNA KILL YOU and I'm like

stahp

why

no

I didn't sign up to shoot arrows at dudes, I signed up to shoot arrows at robosaurs

• Options

On the floor

It isn't even cursed!

And we left lol

An actually realistic non-bandits to bandits ratio would be a great creative restriction on all RPG makers. It would cut down on just throwing tons and tons of poorly justified intelligent enemies at you.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/12/28/16827356/marvel-comics-create-your-own-platform-terms-restrictions
    In a press release today, Marvel announced Create Your Own, a new platform that allows fans to create original comic strips using Marvel characters and stock background illustrations. The tagline is “Your Own Marvel Universe.”
    Here are some highlights from the very long list of no-no’s:

“Content that could frighten or upset young children or the parents of young children.”
    Prescription drugs or over-the-counter medication, vitamins, and dietary supplements.
    Contraceptives
    “Suggestive or revealing images,” including “bare midriffs”
    “Sensationalism,” which is not defined but elucidated with the examples “killer bees, gossip, aliens, scandal, etc.”
    “Obscenity, bad or offensive language” or “proxies for bad or offensive language.” E.g. no “X@#%!”
    “Noises related to bodily functions.”
    No politics, including “alternative lifestyle advocacies”
    Death
    “Misleading language”
    “A copy or parody of current or past Marvel advertising creative”
    Any “controversial topics,” including “social issues”
    Double entendres
    Any amusement parks that aren’t Disney amusement parks
    Any movie studios that aren’t “affiliated with Marvel”
    Guns
    What is even the point.

Maybe they should have adhered to these rules before making Secret Empire

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    If I don't cross the world stripping corpses bare what's even the point of the multiple nude mods that I meticulously researched, downloaded and installed?

Real talk I have always been creeped out by the combination of obsessively detailed nude mods and games where the only instance you are likely to see anybody naked is when you loot their corpse

• Options
    It’s a good thing NPCs can’t think. Because if they could they probably wouldn’t want to attack the dude in power armor with a pool cue. Then the game would force them to anyway and that would be bad.

• Options
    edited December 2017

On the floor

It isn't even cursed!

And we left lol

I'm not disagreeing with you. I really liked Horizon, but it got really weird when nearly every person you met outside the village was like RAR IM GONNA KILL YOU and I'm like

stahp

why

no

I didn't sign up to shoot arrows at dudes, I signed up to shoot arrows at robosaurs

When you get the shield armor and 5 guys are tinking arrows harmlessly off of you, you think they'd reevaluate their life choices

override367 on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    it always seemed strange to me to take and equip the armour of an enemy you just killed with a huge axe, or assault rifle, or explosive. not just because the armour would clearly be ruined, and because it wouldn't fit, but because it would be full of blood and guts, and that's how you get the hep.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Like, it was pretty cool in Fallout 4 when some raiders attacked me and after I beat them I was like "oh this guy had a cool hat. I guess it's mine now."

but also i didnt like rip all their clothes off and carry them around to sell for caps because that's weird
    Doing that kind of crap ruined my ability to play Oblivion. So many video games teach you to LOOT EVERYTHING and the Bethesda games don't do enough to teach you that, no, trying to do that is a terrible idea.

What they need to do is introduce a system where, once you leave an area to sell / store loot, then return for more, scavengers have come by or are still present even. That way you know to pick out the valuables rather than just spend an hour running back and forth.

• Options
    "Milk was a bad choice"

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Fallout is a good game series for looting

• Options
    Fallout 3 I think is the most ridiculous where the bandit population is actually several times greater than the non bandit population

where are they all getting food from

• Options
    Fallout 3 I think is the most ridiculous where the bandit population is actually several times greater than the non bandit population

where are they all getting food from

Radroaches

Radroaches everywhere.

• Options
    Years ago I was in a really weird headspace where I couldn't play FPS games because the feel of using a gun to shoot human enemies was weird to me

Frankly, it still is. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing The Division.

And now it's starting to make me feel weird again, in things like Horizon and Fallout. I don't especially like using guns in particular on human enemies, but I'm feeling real weird even swording people.

I don't mind murderhoboing my way through aliens, robots, zombies, or non-human things but I get really uncomfortable really quickly when fighting explicitly human combatants.

• Options
    Full disclosure in bethesda games I install a mod to remove weight restrictions first thing and loot absolutely everything in the game world

If you examine the reality of what happens when you quickloot a dozen people you just killed it's really horrifying for sure

but the entire game is so... gamey if that makes any sense that it doesn't actually bother me, I also take everything off the super mutants and dogs and robots so I can grind it all up into settlement materials

This discussion has been closed.