Options

They are [Chat]ions!!!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    I like the idea that hey- this guy has a cool weapon or armor, and I beat him and I can take it now!

None of this, like, oh he died but we left his ancient relic blade of great power and skill just like...lying there

On the floor

It isn't even cursed!

And we left lol

But also video game loot systems are weird

But also mercilessly slaughtering your way across a digital narrative is also weird

tbh I am pretty much done with murder hobo open world RPGs

The last one I played was Mass Effect Andromeda and I was like "this game is fucking dumb. I feel dumb for doing this shit. The well-crafted narrative BioWare is trying here is ramming so fucking hard against their murder heavy open world gameplay, this isn't fun"

An actually realistic non-bandits to bandits ratio would be a great creative restriction on all RPG makers. It would cut down on just throwing tons and tons of poorly justified intelligent enemies at you.

And, you know, design challenge: shuck 30 years of toxic masculinity in game design that tells us the only way to deal with our enemies is murder them

There is a paucity of games where you play a dude who negotiates, engages in actual espionage, double-deals, fast-talks, or otherwise finds non-murder solutions to problems.

Usually games where that sort of thing is an element, it's like a strategy game where it's the primary element.

There's all kinds of interesting game mechanic places to explore there!

Or hell just games where I'm fighting people off or only using as much force as necessary to end a problem, that'd be fucking nice.

Instead, the overwhelming majority of games treat violence as a binary. You're either non-violent hugboxes and lesbian walking simulators, or you kill people.

TBF all games should be non-violent hugboxes or lesbian walking simulators tho

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Like I am trying to think of games where you can use

1. Non-murderous levels of violence and/or
    2. Talk to your enemies to negotiate, interrogate, threaten, flee, use stealth, or otherwise avoid a conflict non-violently without it being viewed as a fail state

And I am coming up with... Batman games..?

Batman games.

That's it, that's all I got. And I feel like that is only the case because Batman has a canon-enforced proscription against killing, otherwise he'd just murder people.
    Deus Ex games.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Poker doesn’t have killing

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    okay enough poasting i need to

do

work???
    Let’s not be too hasty

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Deus Ex and Dishonored do non-violent conflict resolution pretty well

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    okay enough poasting i need to

do

work???

In the game of life it was you who were the looted NPC

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Jesus fuck I do not like where they moved my office to.

Sitting next to a sleazy logistics guy who uses tactics like "I'm gonna get fired if you don't take this load for $1675" then once he's off the call giggles with glee and gloats about how he's getting $2200 from the customer.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Kagera wrote: »

I see you've only played casual poker.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Elki wrote: »
    I’m gonna be sad if new Destiny players never get something like the Taken King.

I like the shooting enough that I have floated the idea of going back and doing the old Destiny strikes and raids. My group is not terribly interested, especially considering the grind in D1 and the fact that we still haven't managed to get people together for a raid in D2.

Can we not even get heroic strikes with modifiers, though? Or more than three nightfalls? I have zero reason to play the game right now.

You might want to confirm this, but I’m fairly certain new Destiny 1 players get an item that instantly gives them max level. I know I got one in my postmaster, but I just never had a need to use it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Deus Ex games come to mind.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Pony, how bout Undertale? The JRPG where you can go through the entire game nonviolently?

EDIT: Yeah, that sounded reall a lot shtitier than i thought, sorry.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

2. Talk to your enemies to negotiate, interrogate, threaten, flee, use stealth, or otherwise avoid a conflict non-violently without it being viewed as a fail state

Batman games.

That's it, that's all I got. And I feel like that is only the case because Batman has a canon-enforced proscription against killing, otherwise he'd just murder people.
    Deus Ex games.

*Looks at sales of Dishonored 2*
    *Cries*

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is amazing how blows to the head are so non-consequential in fiction.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    A simple mechanic that is in like, D&D, where you can specify your damage is not intended to kill, is missing from almost all video game RPGs for some reason. The ability to yell at them to surrender is also typically nonexistent

shrug

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Deus Ex games come to mind.

Deus Ex is actually interesting, because a lot of the violent resolutions aren't signposted very well. A lot of players don't realise that in the first game you can
    save Paul or kill Anna early with a cutscene mine,

or that in HR you can
    save Malik.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Knocking people out is hard and dangerous as shit. If you hit someone on the head hard enough to knock them out they’d probably die from an untreated concussion unless you took them to a hospital

I agree to the first part but not the "probably die"

That would be saying they are more likely to die then not but ehh... people get knocked out all the time and don't die. Can die, most certainly. But not probably die. People get knocked out in dumb fist fights, doing random dumb shit and even plenty in combat sports. Even in that professional setting of combat sports they just stand-up afterwards, to varying degrees of wobbliness, and shake hands with the other dude. Especially since the treatment for a concussion is just rest and being careful isn't it?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It is amazing how blows to the head are so non-consequential in fiction.

in one of the adult swim cartoons they knocked a guy out and went to knock the other guy out but he saw them and he's like "holy shit you killed ted", and they said "nah we just knocked him out, we always knock people out we're not murderers" and the guy replied "do you check? have you ever actually checked to make sure the people you knocked out are okay? Oh god I don't think ted is breathing"

that was the first time I considered how many knocked out mooks are actually murder victims

override367 on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    A simple mechanic that is in like, D&D, where you can specify your damage is not intended to kill, is missing from almost all video game RPGs for some reason. The ability to yell at them to surrender is also typically nonexistent

shrug

What really grinds my gears is that some games sometimes have enemies flee if you hurt them enough. Sometimes they even say they give up. They will almost always start attacking you agains after a few seconds like nothing happened.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Y'know how something in fiction bugs you that might not bother other people if they don't know as much about that thing as you?

Like you watch a medical show with your friend who is a nurse and she's like "uuuugh" because that isn't how fucking anything works

The use of force and non-violent de-escalation stuff in video games bugs me because like... in reality that's how you resolve most scenarios when someone means you harm? You don't fucking murder them.

And not just because, y'know, society and law say no. But because going there is often more dangerous to you than just not.

Obviously, this doesn't suit all games. Games where you are explicitly a soldier in a war, or you are BJ in Wolfenstein carving your way through Nazi scum, sure whatever.

But when I am playing Mass Effect Andromeda, a game that explicitly says there's a very small number of Milky Way people left in the galaxy, when we get jumped by bandits do I not have any other options than "bullet them to death"?

Seriously?

Shit's fucked up yo.

• Options
    I don’t think wounding a Reaper Husk would quite work out something tells me they’d just go on killing.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Batman games.

There was Torment: Tides of Numenera, where I *think* almost all combat was avoidable (and combat sucked anyway).

Also I guess most stealth action games allow nonlethal and sneaking. Deus Ex even includes conversations with important peeps.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Wrong, pardner

*twirls six shooter on finger*

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Deus Ex and Dishonored would both count, yeah

Pony on
  • Options

shrug

What really grinds my gears is that some games sometimes have enemies flee if you hurt them enough. Sometimes they even say they give up. They will almost always start attacking you against after a few seconds like nothing happened.

I'd love to see in a Skyrim game where you shoot a bandit, get a critical hit and just decimate the person, all the other bandits just drop their weapons and take off never to be seen by you again

or in a game like GTA 5, where civilians react appropriately to gunfire, but bad guys NEVER give up or surrender. Pro tip game developers and movie creators: in most circumstances, especially if the people in question are the aggressors, people typically don't fight to the last man

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

How about all those HOPAs (Hidden Object Puzzle Adventures), 1st Person Adventure games (Myst, The Witness, etc.) and point n click adventure games? Most of those are nonviolent (Unless you meant, like, RPGs? Action games?

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    The thief games? At least the first game straight out forbade killing on the highest difficulty. I haven't played any of the other.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i would like a game where you are a space sheriff non-lethally apprehending space bandits with a very effective stun ray, and the real challenge is logistical decisions about how to store, feed, and manage your rapidly growing prison population. the clumsy, restrictive UI for that management aspect will be a comment on dysfunctional prison systems and also on how hard it is to design a good UI

• Options
    Also bandits by their nature are not nice people. And while the correct punishment for their crimes is rarely execution the time and effort it would take to corral them all taken them to the nearest authorities might just be something players would find offputting.

• Options
    You can technically finish fallout 4 without killing a single person if you have a lot of patience use the quickload button a lot

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Eddy wrote:
    Carrying 218 pounds, entirely swords with no clothes whatsoever: running full-sprint off a blizzardy mountain to deftly kill thirty dragons
    Carrying 219 pounds: ded

I really wonder why more games don't have a direct carry weight/mobility scale

I wonder lots of things about games

I finished HZD last night, btw, tho not the DLC

I think most people are going to find that more infuriating because now every bit is slowing them down instead of just having to worry about threshold.

Well they're goofballs. Every little bit slowing you down (sometimes imperceptibly) is basically how it works in reality and it's a very intuitive system. Drop some of those swords, you greedy nerds!

This is how it works in Fallout and Skyrim. It isn't exactly an exotic mechanic.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

How about all those HOPAs (Hidden Object Puzzle Adventures), 1st Person Adventure games (Myst, The Witness, etc.) and point n click adventure games? Most of those are nonviolent (Unless you meant, like, RPGs? Action games?

Yeah no, games where violence doesn't exist don't count

Making violence a non-thing doesn't address the issue. Giving the players options to address the threat of violence with stealth, negotiation, non-lethal force, etc. are what I am talking about.

Deus Ex and Dishonored both count.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Madden road to glory has no murder.

• Options

Making violence a non-thing doesn't address the issue. Giving the players options to address the threat of violence with stealth, negotiation, non-lethal force, etc. are what I am talking about.

Okay, so games where you CAN be violent but can complete without being violent.

Right, so Undertale totally is a poster child for that.

• Options
    Also bandits by their nature are not nice people. And while the correct punishment for their crimes is rarely execution the time and effort it would take to corral them all taken them to the nearest authorities might just be something players would find offputting.

(Maybe they should)

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Eddy wrote:
    Carrying 218 pounds, entirely swords with no clothes whatsoever: running full-sprint off a blizzardy mountain to deftly kill thirty dragons

I think most people are going to find that more infuriating because now every bit is slowing them down instead of just having to worry about threshold.

Well they're goofballs. Every little bit slowing you down (sometimes imperceptibly) is basically how it works in reality and it's a very intuitive system. Drop some of those swords, you greedy nerds!

This is how it works in Fallout and Skyrim. It isn't exactly an exotic mechanic.

I thought those games had a weight limit.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Metal Gear games allow fully non-lethal runs.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    would anyone like to come by and help me make some finger sandwiches?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    re: inventory chat

path of exile turned out to make much of its profit from storage space rather than from whales buying cosmetics

i wonder whether it's skewed the game toward introducing more mechanics for yet more items that take up loot space

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    Eddy wrote:

The UESP makes movement speed sound like a binary between unencombered and overencumbered.
    When overencumbered and slowed, your speed moving with a drawn arrow is unaffected and significantly faster.
    God bless Skyrim.

This discussion has been closed.