• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    if [chatPAX]NYC is happening I want to know about it

last time I was in NYC I was 19 I'm due for another visit

warning: I will want to spend an entire day at MOMA

I love MOMA

I will never forget the grunting, whooping quilts on the same floor as the massive wall punctuated by a single bb -spoiler - there was no bb hole.

MOMA da bes.

when I was there I saw a painting of Blue

not a blue painting

it was a painting of the platonic ideal of Blueness

it's burned into my memory

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Kana or cred have you listened to Jam the couple of times i posted it

I don't think so; will listen if you repost.

credeiki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoySmwO7QHg

Orphane O yeah I did watch that one when you posted it before, but didn't remember the title at all. I don't particularly like it--I don't like breathy female voices.

@credeiki if you want the opposite of breathy...

https://youtu.be/DjuSIU2quB0
    Choi Sam's voice is badass

This is awesome, but I was disappointed in the beats for 2 and 3 after how great the beat for the first song was

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I am stealing snugs from SpoolPup2

How have we not had steaks in NYC yet?

I haven’t been up there lately! I need to. I miss it so bad. :sad:

but like, seriously. Standing offer for years now. I will take you to ridiculously good steaks if you come here

What steak place do you like Synd? I need to mark somewhere to try for good steaks.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    if [chatPAX]NYC is happening I want to know about it

last time I was in NYC I was 19 I'm due for another visit

warning: I will want to spend an entire day at MOMA

I love MOMA

I will never forget the grunting, whooping quilts on the same floor as the massive wall punctuated by a single bb -spoiler - there was no bb hole.

MOMA da bes.

when I was there I saw a painting of Blue

not a blue painting

it was a painting of the platonic ideal of Blueness

it's burnedblued into my memory

e: I mean, that's what I would expect in the [chat] thread.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Aegis wrote: »
    God damn even being subs only can't keep gdq chat from being a shitheap

The larger a channel is, the more rigorous a moderation system (both humans and a well scripted Nightbot) as well as overall culture need to be established to stem the natural tendency towards horribleness. Compare the differences in chat experience, for example, between Kripparian (who makes no effort whatsoever to manage his chat) and someone like Cohh Carnage or other variety streamers who build their stream identity around chat interaction or a community.

AGDQ, and other large one-off events, are almost ungovernable by definition since they'll end up drawing a large generalized crowd with no shared sense of acceptable behavious, and being low frequency events are highly unlikely to have a dedicated moderation staff to handle it.

having moderated the PAX channels on occasion I know this all too well

they get a dedicated mod staff but it mostly means that half the chat is <message deleted>

better than the alternative

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    My reaction to modern art is always the same: First, I start off all curmudgeonly - "Pfft, if we can call THIS art then I guess ANYTHING can be art."

Then like five minutes later I'm like "Aww, neat, ANYTHING can be art!"

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Pls2beinviteme2anychatpax

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I kept putting off a shower, but finally did it.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    You ever try painting a large portion of a canvas a uniform color.

It's less easy than one might initially suppose!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2018
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I am stealing snugs from SpoolPup2

How have we not had steaks in NYC yet?

I haven’t been up there lately! I need to. I miss it so bad. :sad:

but like, seriously. Standing offer for years now. I will take you to ridiculously good steaks if you come here

What steak place do you like Synd? I need to mark somewhere to try for good steaks.

I have a few!

I love Old Homestead; oldest steakhouse in NY, Summer and I have had some meaningful dinners there, the food is p good!

Keen's is also fantastic; the decor is pipes; just, wall to wall old smoking pipes, including the pipes of hundreds of famous people including presidents and inventors and such.The slab bacon there is legendary and the steaks are beautiful.

It probably says a lot that the two I love so much opened in the 1800s... but they deserve to have been around so long. They are just so fucking good.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    oh also that order with The Last Dab came and we tried it last night on some wings

Unsurprisingly it's really hot

What did surprise me is that it didn't seem much hotter than the Scorpion Rum sauce that BWWs had during a promotion despite being around four times hotter going by the scoville scale (Scorpion Rum was a little over 800k and The Last Dab is somewhere around 3 million on the scale iirc)

Which seems to confirm my hunch that the scoville scale is pretty useless past a certain point if not all together

I've been using the last dab in my cooking recently. Like, a small portion in a marinade to make otherwise flavorful chicken thighs into flavorful hot chicken thighs.

Its a spicy sauce for sure, but it doesn't taste bad at all.

Yup I kinda think that's a big part of why it doesn't feel much hotter

Once you reach that level of heat a good taste to take the edge off makes all the difference in the world.

I still don't think I'm going to be coating a dozen wings in it anytime soon because that'd be a bit much but yeah I can totally see adding a small portion to other things I'm cooking.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    My reaction to modern art is always the same: First, I start off all curmudgeonly - "Pfft, if we can call THIS art then I guess ANYTHING can be art."

Art deez nuts

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Okay [chat] friends, I am bedtime

I have many thing to do again tomorrow, but you know me

I'll be around!

Be good to yourself, to each other, and to our planet <3

• Options

Art deez nuts

*wipes away a tear*

they should have sent a poet

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

The larger a channel is, the more rigorous a moderation system (both humans and a well scripted Nightbot) as well as overall culture need to be established to stem the natural tendency towards horribleness. Compare the differences in chat experience, for example, between Kripparian (who makes no effort whatsoever to manage his chat) and someone like Cohh Carnage or other variety streamers who build their stream identity around chat interaction or a community.

AGDQ, and other large one-off events, are almost ungovernable by definition since they'll end up drawing a large generalized crowd with no shared sense of acceptable behavious, and being low frequency events are highly unlikely to have a dedicated moderation staff to handle it.

they get a dedicated mod staff but it mostly means that half the chat is <message deleted>

Twitch itself is also going to have to eventually grapple with the fact that several of their evergreen emotes have become proxies for casual racism through shared usage.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Art deez nuts

Ah yes, testicles portrayed in the early 21st century fashion, how exquisite

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2018
    I will say that the dissapointment I was not expecting was to see Rube Goldberg's pipe and for it to be remarkably plain.

I wanted some stupid mechanism for self loading tobacco at least.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    oh also that order with The Last Dab came and we tried it last night on some wings

What did surprise me is that it didn't seem much hotter than the Scorpion Rum sauce that BWWs had during a promotion despite being around four times hotter going by the scoville scale (Scorpion Rum was a little over 800k and The Last Dab is somewhere around 3 million on the scale iirc)

Which seems to confirm my hunch that the scoville scale is pretty useless past a certain point if not all together

I've been using the last dab in my cooking recently. Like, a small portion in a marinade to make otherwise flavorful chicken thighs into flavorful hot chicken thighs.

Once you reach that level of heat a good taste to take the edge off makes all the difference in the world.

I still don't think I'm going to be coating a dozen wings in it anytime soon because that'd be a bit much but yeah I can totally see adding a small portion to other things I'm cooking.

I took a toothpick when I got the bottle, dipped it in, and cleaned it off.

i knew right then that this was an ingredient and not a direct use thing; I love spicy food but I am not an idiot.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

Twitch itself is also going to have to eventually grapple with the fact that several of their evergreen emotes have become proxies for casual racism through shared usage.

imo allowing custom user emotes is a mistake on any platform but I don't think twitch will ever walk that bank.

• Options

imo allowing custom user emotes is a mistake on any platform but I don't think twitch will ever walk that bank.

I feel like hipchat and slack get a pass.

But something public-wide? yeah...

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Oh and I don't think they'll ever address the abusive emote usage, even for the global emotes.

Maybe if Amazon divests them and they're trying to get bought again?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    watching the globes... I want Ewan to make another obi wan film because the casting was fucking brilliant, just the direction and script was bad.

Ewan McGregor needs some special Oscar for "Best attempt to single-handedly redeem a terrible movie through sheer force of acting alone".

Portman is looking bored as usual. Christensen is trying his best to learn how one does this job. And McGregor is just all "I gotta run all these motherfuckers myself?"

Portman is a great actress in a project sold to her properly.

I put her wooden performance at Lucas' feet.

Oh she can act. She's just really bad for not being able to hide how bored she is with some roles.

Whereas Ewan is over there trying to turn shit into gold by charismaing at it hard enough.

On the other hand Ewan gets to be an action lead type of dude and there's a lot of room to be charming there

His lines may be a bit clunky, but you still get to swagger a little and have fun

Princess Amidala is like... She's the girlfriend. She dies of a broken heart offscreen. Where's the swagger to have fun with it that character? Where's the... anything?

Like if you switched their parts, so that Natalie Portman got to be the adventure star, I rather doubt Ewan McGregor is somehow saving his new part.

Except it ain't like we haven't seen her do it before. That was my point. This isn't an isolated incident. She looks bored as shit in the Thor movies too as another example.

Both times she's playing a shite character with bad writing and she just kinda gives up.

And my point is that if you're a dude getting a bad part you can just act generically charming and be an adventure hero

Whereas badly written female parts are like the ultra-passive girlfriend who in no way ever resemble a human being, and their passivity doesn't let them take on the fun generic swagger of the male roles.

Except the issue here is not swagger vs lack of swagger. That's not what is setting their performances apart.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

I don't think custom ones are inherently a bad system, since that involves an approvals process that could, in theory, filter out objectionable ones if properly designed and staffed. Also, the reach of those is limited to those users that subscribe to that particular channel.

The evergreen ones, though, are those Twitch has deemed important or ubiquitous enough that they've enabled them for everyone, which carries problems when they're being used as stand-in reactions for racist things.

Characters
  • Options
    watching the globes... I want Ewan to make another obi wan film because the casting was fucking brilliant, just the direction and script was bad.

Ewan McGregor needs some special Oscar for "Best attempt to single-handedly redeem a terrible movie through sheer force of acting alone".

Portman is looking bored as usual. Christensen is trying his best to learn how one does this job. And McGregor is just all "I gotta run all these motherfuckers myself?"

Portman is a great actress in a project sold to her properly.

I put her wooden performance at Lucas' feet.

Oh she can act. She's just really bad for not being able to hide how bored she is with some roles.

Whereas Ewan is over there trying to turn shit into gold by charismaing at it hard enough.

On the other hand Ewan gets to be an action lead type of dude and there's a lot of room to be charming there

His lines may be a bit clunky, but you still get to swagger a little and have fun

Princess Amidala is like... She's the girlfriend. She dies of a broken heart offscreen. Where's the swagger to have fun with it that character? Where's the... anything?

Like if you switched their parts, so that Natalie Portman got to be the adventure star, I rather doubt Ewan McGregor is somehow saving his new part.

Except it ain't like we haven't seen her do it before. That was my point. This isn't an isolated incident. She looks bored as shit in the Thor movies too as another example.

Both times she's playing a shite character with bad writing and she just kinda gives up.

And my point is that if you're a dude getting a bad part you can just act generically charming and be an adventure hero

Whereas badly written female parts are like the ultra-passive girlfriend who in no way ever resemble a human being, and their passivity doesn't let them take on the fun generic swagger of the male roles.

Except the issue here is not swagger vs lack of swagger. That's not what is setting their performances apart.

Yeah, I'm with you.

Portman needs someone to make her care about the role. She will knock it out of the park if she cares or is made to care... Lucas was bad at this, so she was barely there.

This isn't a swagger issue, it is an engagement issue and being given a shit hand regarding script.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

I took a toothpick when I got the bottle, dipped it in, and cleaned it off.

i knew right then that this was an ingredient and not a direct use thing; I love spicy food but I am not an idiot.

Tried it on a single wing last night. Took a basting brush and put a light coating on the wing and then put it back in the oven for a few minutes.

Very tasty, very hot, but still very tasty.

I can't imagine slathering a bunch of wings in it BWW style and going to town though

that would be just plain dumb

• Options

I don't know much about hipchat but even slack is getting flack now for stuff that is happening in ostensibly private places, I think because of the level of adoption. (Like recently I've seen a lot of complaining about their lack of an ignore feature.)

This is the danger when you run a unique public service, people will hold you accountable for the actions of your userbase.

• Options
    Also lesson I learned last night that I shouldn't have had to learn because fucking duh:

When washing a basting brush that has been used to apply The Last Dab please to be keeping the steam away from your eyes... and nose... and really just away from you all together

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Fuck. Didn't pass Optics sup exam. That kinda fucks up all my plans for this year and beyond. :(

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Oh and I don't think they'll ever address the abusive emote usage, even for the global emotes.

Maybe if Amazon divests them and they're trying to get bought again?

There'd need to be public pressure from outside Twitch. They probably don't view it as a problem since each individual channel could, theoretically resolve the problem through banning those emotes.

But the ones that don't (the ones that don't care about chat) and the ones that can't (large events choosing to have a chat), if they're large enough, are the places creating the outward perception of a cesspool and magnifying it.

Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I don't know much about hipchat but even slack is getting flack now for stuff that is happening in ostensibly private places, I think because of the level of adoption. (Like recently I've seen a lot of complaining about their lack of an ignore feature.)

This is the danger when you run a unique public service, people will hold you accountable for the actions of your userbase.

I dont know how an ignore feature would even work in slack considering its use case.

Well before you hit ignore, you go to HR. These are your coworkers, you can't ignore them even if you hate them.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I dont know how an ignore feature would even work in slack considering its use case.

Well before you hit ignore, you go to HR. These are your coworkers, you can't ignore them even if you hate them.

Because slack is getting used for things outside of work. Also getting used a lot in workplaces without any actual buy-in from the leadership so HR is just going to go bwuh? at you.

All that's assuming you even have the mythical HR department that is interested in mediating disputes.

Aioua on
  • Options

Because slack is getting used for things outside of work. Also getting used a lot in workplaces without any actual buy-in from the leadership so HR is just going to go bwuh? at you.

All that's assuming you even have the mythical HR department that is interested in mediating disputes.

I know this sounds naive on first blush, but... if someone decides to shadow-it a chat solution that a large portion of yoir staff uses to conduct work, and something shitty happens on there, it is still corporate's problem and HR needs to intervene. Because it is a work relationship being stressed in a place where people are doing work.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

I know this sounds naive on first blush, but... if someone decides to shadow-it a chat solution that a large portion of yoir staff uses to conduct work, and something shitty happens on there, it is still corporate's problem and HR needs to intervene. Because it is a work relationship being stressed in a place where people are doing work.

people use it to organize for things that aren't work. like the local dems I'm involved with use it. there's no HR to go to if someone starts being creepy.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

people use it to organize for things that aren't work. like the local dems I'm involved with use it. there's no HR to go to if someone starts being creepy.

so I get that... but I dont think it is a failing of slack to not have features in place for people extending the use of the product outside of the intended use case.

Slack and Hipchat were IRC, but for companies. with plugins.

If either tool offred an ignore feature I would turn it off, given the choice, because that is antithetical to a workplace. If someone felt the need to ignore someone I need to figure out how to mediate the situation or fire someone.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

They should. But if you're the member of some disadvantaged group and your being bullied by the bro who's loved by his bro boss, and HR and leadership don't even know what slack is, are you even going to attempt that complaint?

And what if it's some thing completely outside of a formal work structure. I've been in slacks for convention organizing. I've seen plenty of slacks that are just chat channels.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I spent most of the weekend feeling awful as I transitioned drugs. Today I felt great. Figures.

Luckily it was free day at the museum which is great cause I was sick so we skipped yesterday! I learned all about prohibition and video games.

Hard to believe less than two weeks until I'm outta here. Just a few days and my parents will come take most of my belongings hopefully up to my friends house.

Adulting is so hard though.

• Options
    For most American workers HR is the enemy.
    Nobody wants to rock the boat.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I spent most of the weekend feeling awful as I transitioned drugs. Today I felt great. Figures.

Luckily it was free day at the museum which is great cause I was sick so we skipped yesterday! I learned all about prohibition and video games.

Hard to believe less than two weeks until I'm outta here. Just a few days and my parents will come take most of my belongings hopefully up to my friends house.

Adulting is so hard though.

Yes, but you'll be up in the great wide open.

Now! It's a little weird, because it's going to be superficially like Texas but in the summer you won't feel like death and you'll actually be able to grip your steering wheel without remote starting the car and letting the ac blow for an hour.

Also, the people up here have a bit less of a case of blessyourheartism.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited January 2018

They should. But if you're the member of some disadvantaged group and your being bullied by the bro who's loved by his bro boss, and HR and leadership don't even know what slack is, are you even going to attempt that complaint?

And what if it's some thing completely outside of a formal work structure. I've been in slacks for convention organizing. I've seen plenty of slacks that are just chat channels.

Yes. Maybe the slack gets shut down as a result. Maybe it gets rolled under corporate governance. But if you need to participate in a thing to advance at work, then that thing needs to be a shared and safe space. If you think the ignore feature is a solution for this, it isn't

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
This discussion has been closed.