As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fire and Fury - Trump/Bannon Love is Over?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Apparently, today's immigration meeting was in part damage control for the book:

Jake Tapper is an ostensible correspondent for CNN.
    I'm not sure video of:

"Hey, look, whatever you guys want, I don't know."

Was the example of competency they needed.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Apparently, today's immigration meeting was in part damage control for the book:

Jake Tapper is an ostensible correspondent for CNN.
    I'm not sure video of:

"Hey, look, whatever you guys want, I don't know."

Was the example of competency they needed.

There are already a bunch of talking heads talking about how great Trump was.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    mcp was warned for this.

Peters is a reporter for the New York Times.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    mcp wrote: »

It's not so much a step as a shove, I would think.

Edit: Story here:
    Mr. Bannon’s departure, which was forced by a onetime financial patron, Rebekah Mercer, comes as Mr. Bannon remained unable to quell the furor over remarks attributed to him in a new book in which he questions President Trump’s mental fitness and disparages his elder son, Donald Trump Jr.

Yup, shove.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    It’s almost as if groveling and kissing ass now was too little too late.

How do they not learn their lesson every single damned time? And Bannon was supposed to be the smart one.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    It’s almost as if groveling and kissing ass now was too little too late.

How do they not learn their lesson every single damned time? And Bannon was supposed to be the smart one.

Relatively speaking, sure, why not.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »

It's not so much a step as a shove, I would think.

Edit: Story here:
    Mr. Bannon’s departure, which was forced by a onetime financial patron, Rebekah Mercer, comes as Mr. Bannon remained unable to quell the furor over remarks attributed to him in a new book in which he questions President Trump’s mental fitness and disparages his elder son, Donald Trump Jr.

Yup, shove.

shoved out by your fabulously wealthy patron, huh Bannon

*drags on cigarette* c'est pas une...une...how you say...globalist cuck, yes?

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm happy Bannon tried one less unsuccuessful grovel at the end, just to ensure he'll never be able to pivot into any kind of anti-Trump niche.

He has nowhere left to go, now.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I'm happy Bannon tried one less unsuccuessful grovel at the end, just to ensure he'll never be able to pivot into any kind of anti-Trump niche.

We can hope he has a metaphorical map to where the bodies are buried.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular

Why, because it would look too hypocritical?

• Options

Because he destroyed any level of anti-trump cred he gained from the book. He has credibility in nothing now. The left and moderates would never take him, the alt-right has ousted him for insulting dear leader, and anyone remaining just saw him grovel for the last scraps of relevancy, and fail.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Because he destroyed any level of anti-trump cred he gained from the book. He has credibility in nothing now. The left and moderates would never take him, the alt-right has ousted him for insulting dear leader, and anyone remaining just saw him grovel for the last scraps of relevancy, and fail.

oh I'm sure Mueller would still take him =)

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If Bannon really wants to make some money, I hear there's a lot of it to be made with tell all books from within the White House...

Not that I'd trust him as a source, but it would be funny all the same...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    If Bannon really wants to make some money, I hear there's a lot of it to be made with tell all books from within the White House...

Yeah, we can now figure out if he actually has any level of brain.

His last smart play here is to just be "I'm just a money loving opportunist who took these rubes for everything they were worth. I don't believe in anything on Breitbart, and anyone who does is an idiot." and then to right a tell all book exposing everything he did within the campaign, ideally also exposing items were the Trump family are guilty of crimes. He can easily spin that into a talking head slot somewhere and a 7 figure book advance.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Yeah, we can now figure out if he actually has any level of brain.

His last smart play here is to just be "I'm just a money loving opportunist who took these rubes for everything they were worth. I don't believe in anything on Breitbart, and anyone who does is an idiot." and then to right a tell all book exposing everything he did within the campaign, ideally also exposing items were the Trump family are guilty of crimes. He can easily spin that into a talking head slot somewhere and a 7 figure book advance.

I have to admit that in my cold, hedge fund heart-of-hearts, the idea of bilking a bunch of alt-right rubes has a certain appeal.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Back to the WoW gold farms for Bannon i guess.

Seriously, who else would take him?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    A reminder to please add actual content to embedded tweets. A "me too" or "lol" does not meet our incredibly lofty, demanding standard of one original thought.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Apparently Arpaio is running for office again. Maybe he needs an advisor.

More likely he'll write a book, or start his own news site, or something. In a few years Fox will add Bannon as a regular contributor or something.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Apparently Arpaio is running for office again. Maybe he needs an advisor.

More likely he'll write a book, or start his own news site, or something. In a few years Fox will add Bannon as a regular contributor or something.

I think Murdoch fucking hates Bannon, is the problem with that.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Bannon is 100% done now IMO, he has no allies left anywhere. He caused embarrassment to Trump and lost the subsequent PR battle - that means Trump's base hates him now, and by extension no conservative media outlet has anything to gain by associating with him.

• Options
    I saw a cnn headline suggesting he lost his SiriusXM radio show too, but the link was a video I can't watch right now.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I saw a cnn headline suggesting he lost his SiriusXM radio show too, but the link was a video I can't watch right now.

Ouch: http://ew.com/news/2018/01/09/steve-bannon-booted-from-sirius-xm-after-breitbart-ouster/

He could always start his own internet radio show from scratch and try to be the next Alex Jones I suppose. Somehow I doubt he's very entertaining in his own right.

Zek on
  • Options
    Bannon wanted to watch the world burn, but in the end, the fire consumed him.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    He thought the alt-right was his ally, but Trump was born in it

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Zek wrote: »
    Bannon is 100% done now IMO, he has no allies left anywhere. He caused embarrassment to Trump and lost the subsequent PR battle - that means Trump's base hates him now, and by extension no conservative media outlet has anything to gain by associating with him.

The good news is conservatives tend to forget and forgive real fast, as long as you're pissing off liberals. Christie was a persona-non-grata when he hugged Obama, right up until Bridge-gate and then they welcomed him back with open arms to CPAC. Bannon will likely be fine, though I do suspect his brief run as a resident conservative genius and star maker is over.

Also..Trump is...not doing great in any metric you might want to apply to a president beyond golf outings. Should he go down and lose office, or end his term in embarrassment, isolated and inept like Bush Jr., the Alt-Right will suddenly have always been against Trump and Bannon was just speaking truth to power.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

The good news is conservatives tend to forget and forgive real fast, as long as you're pissing off liberals. Christie was a persona-non-grata when he hugged Obama, right up until Bridge-gate and then they welcomed him back with open arms to CPAC. Bannon will likely be fine, though I do suspect his brief run as a resident conservative genius and star maker is over.

Also..Trump is...not doing great in any metric you might want to apply to a president beyond golf outings. Should he go down and lose office, or end his term in embarrassment, isolated and inept like Bush Jr., the Alt-Right will suddenly have always been against Trump and Bannon was just speaking truth to power.

In what way will Bannon be fine though? Like, what's his potential here?

Christie is a GOP insider. He was persona-non-grata to the crazies but the Establishment doesn't give a shit if he hugs Obama. His problems were PR related and that's it.

Bannon is nobody. He has no allies and no influence beyond having Trump's ear and running Breitbart. Once both are taken from him, he has nothing to offer and without allies, there's no reason for anyone to give a shit about him and make him relevant to the right-wing.

Bannon's got nothing right now and there's little to no indication that is gonna change.

The only shot I can see him having is leveraging whatever is left of his brand into his own media outlet/presence somehow.

shryke on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    According to Google, his net worth is somewhere between 10 and 50 million. Slap on a chunk for a book deal and I'm sure he'll live comfortably for however many more years or decades he has left (not projecting ghoulishly here, simply noting that he's already 64).

Of course, I'm sure he wanted to accrue ever greater power and wealth, so this remarkable sum may only be a fraction of what he desired, but still, it doesn't seem likely he'll stop living a lifestyle most of us would see as lavish.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I would personally be okay if we never heard from Bannon again. I may appreciate his alleged candor in Wolff’s book but he’s still an opportunistic creep with horrific ideas about where the country should go.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Butters wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Something I haven't seen anyone else pick up on: that excerpt that mentions 45 repeating the same few stories every 30 minutes, then every 10? That was something my grandmother did when she developed Alzheimer's. Literally word for word, like her brain was stuck in a loop.

All this book is doing is making me even more upset about the News Media's refusal to make a big deal out of his patent unfitness for the presidency. They let us down more than anyone.

Several of the podcasts I listen to (the weeds, 538, the pod saves) have definitely taken that bit to suggest dementia or mental decline. That and the bit about Trump seemingly not knowing who John Boehner is or reportedly forgetting who old friends were at Mar-a-Lago (although that might have been bad hearing and dickishness, respectively)

I don't mean to dismiss the mental decline argument but I space on people's names all the time and let us remember much of Trump's current behavior is entirely consistent with his public persona the last 40-some years. Whether it's his full-broadside attacks in reaction to even the most mild criticism or the complete denial of reality none of this is new. These shticks are just super tired now because we are all as a nation subject to it on a far more regular basis than before and because he's never been held to the same level of scrutiny when feuding with the likes of Rosie O'Donnell.

I think it's entirely possible Trump is in decline now and that the pressures of being Commander in Chief are exacerbating that but it's also augmenting his worst qualities that we've already seen. I don't think he's repeating himself because he's suffering from dementia so much as he's lazy, ignorant, and his old tricks don't work at this scale.

Sorry, not buying it. You don't repeat the same story every 10 minutes as an "old trick", unless the trick is making everyone think you have dementia.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Statement from CNN’s Senior Media Correspondant, quoting Fox News

Bannon won’t become a Fox News talking head.

• Options
    According to Google, his net worth is somewhere between 10 and 50 million. Slap on a chunk for a book deal and I'm sure he'll live comfortably for however many more years or decades he has left (not projecting ghoulishly here, simply noting that he's already 64).

Of course, I'm sure he wanted to accrue ever greater power and wealth, so this remarkable sum may only be a fraction of what he desired, but still, it doesn't seem likely he'll stop living a lifestyle most of us would see as lavish.

None of that matters to a guy like Bannon. He wants to have influence and he's effectively had his ability to ever have that again destroyed.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

None of that matters to a guy like Bannon. He wants to have influence and he's effectively had his ability to ever have that again destroyed.

And he has nobody to blame but himself.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Drain the swamp.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    moniker wrote: »
    Drain the swamp.

Funnily enough I think Bannon was the only person who actually seriously cared about doing that.

Just in general Bannon was in some ways the most dangerous because as stupid as he often was, he was the only one as far as I can tell pushing for the populist angle that would actually have made Trump more popular and yet no less horrifically damaging to the institutions of US democracy or brazenly corrupt. With him out it's just the standard GOP bullshit running a lot of the show. With the rest being pushed by sycophants and various other flavours of nutters, like the pro-war-with-everyone and the russian-puppet types.

shryke on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    He thought the alt-right was his ally, but Trump was born in it

Just change born in it to dementia ramblings resembles the alt-right in level of coherence.

It's amazing none of these people understand trumps key lesson except somehow fucking god awful Roy Moore. Never apologize never back down. (Roy Moore is still done forever I hope so I think cats out of the bag.) Bannons mea culpa was so doomed.

Anyway still enjoying the book. Halfway now. Lots about how much of a Jew Kushner is and how much Bannon ground that axe by using Sheldon Adelson against him. Middle East peace ok sure good luck.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So my latest never-happen fantasy is that when Mueller gets to interview Trump, he asks a few polite warm-up questions and then just looks across the table and asks, very gently, if Trump knows he doesn't have to keep being President?
    It's a very very tough job, and lots of people say bad things about you, and expect you to do all kinds of stuff that's no fun, like reading, and... Trump should know that he can just stop, whenever he wants. They can't make him keep being President after it isn't fun anymore.
    All he has to do is sign some papers, talk to a few people, and then he can just go home, back to the life he had before, where everything was just how he liked it. He can watch TV and tweet to his followers and play golf as much as he wants...

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So my latest never-happen fantasy is that when Mueller gets to interview Trump, he asks a few polite warm-up questions and then just looks across the table and asks, very gently, if Trump knows he doesn't have to keep being President?
    It's a very very tough job, and lots of people say bad things about you, and expect you to do all kinds of stuff that's no fun, like reading, and... Trump should know that he can just stop, whenever he wants. They can't make him keep being President after it isn't fun anymore.
    All he has to do is sign some papers, talk to a few people, and then he can just go home, back to the life he had before, where everything was just how he liked it. He can watch TV and tweet to his followers and play golf as much as he wants...

If they could find a way to present it so it doesn't look like he's quitting, he would absolutely do that.
    But he's incapable of admitting he was wrong about anything at all, and saying he doesn't want to do the job would be too much like saying he isn't good at it. Which he isn't, but that admission simply wouldn't get out of his mouth.

The only way it could work is if he could say "We've funded my wall, we've fucked the poorsaved healthcare, and fucked the poorfixed the tax system, there's nothing left for me to do."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I’ve seen speculation that, since details of his medical are going to be made public, they’re going to “discover” an absolutely-not-mental illness that allows him to retire on medical grounds. Before Mueller interviews him. But that’s purely a conspiracy theory.

Personally I’m expecting nothing from the medical except a note on how Trump is the sanest, most stable, most intellectual President ever to grace the White House.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I’ve seen speculation that, since details of his medical are going to be made public, they’re going to “discover” an absolutely-not-mental illness that allows him to retire on medical grounds. Before Mueller interviews him. But that’s purely a conspiracy theory.

Personally I’m expecting nothing from the medical except a note on how Trump is the sanest, most stable, most intellectual President ever to grace the White House.

Only the details that Trump consents to will be released. Even as president he has rights to keep his medical information private.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    There's also, of course, the dumbest part of this dumpster fire, The Gorilla Channel (yes is on topic):
    On Thursday evening, the cartoonist Ben Ward posted on Twitter what appeared to be a screenshot of an excerpt from “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House,” a new book by Michael Wolff.

Even among the various controversial excerpts circulating, which include descriptions of President Trump asking who John A. Boehner, the former House speaker, was, and promising his wife, Melania, that he wouldn’t win the election, this one stood out. It recounted the president supposedly complaining on his first night in the White House that his bedroom television was broken because it didn’t have “the gorilla channel,” which screened only videos about gorillas.
    As of Saturday morning, it had been shared more than 24,000 times and liked more than 80,000 times. More than a few prominent Twitter personalities reposted it and appeared to believe it was real.

Speaking off, watching the NYT descend into bad clickbait articles about memes is depressing. I'm my opinion, the only thing proven is that people are guillable enough to believe random Twitter accounts in 2018, but I don't get paid to write for the NYT.

TryCatcher on