Options

Here [chat] the Mummies

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Here’s a true color photo of the milky way, boosted only in brightness by a long exposure.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ESO-VLT-Laser-phot-33a-07.jpg#/media/File:ESO-VLT-Laser-phot-33a-07_rsz.jpg

Things in outer space mostly look like this.

ok your first post had me glum but i actually like this

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It really would be great if people stopped giving David Cage money to make games.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Couscous wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    if only we had better eyes we could see andromeda this size

moon_andromeda.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Oh no! It is coming right for us!

Yep, it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda–Milky_Way_collision

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    There’s some evidence that a pressurized air tank and a space suit providing only mechanical body compression with some kind of elastic could keep you alive and conscious in the vacuum of outer space for a while.

The biggest questions when it comes to this issue are:

How many monkeys have we thrown out airlocks to see what actually happens? And if it's less then a lot, for the love of god why?

This shit is important, let's space some simians.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Here’s a true color photo of the milky way, boosted only in brightness by a long exposure.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ESO-VLT-Laser-phot-33a-07.jpg#/media/File:ESO-VLT-Laser-phot-33a-07_rsz.jpg

ok your first post had me glum but i actually like this

Yeah like, you aren't going to get that beautiful pink and green horsehead nebula, but shit is still striking, with a trillion points of light all glowing in a giant spiral with wispy clouds of matter forming spindly details. It's all still very pretty.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The universe is pretty full of colours, though it is also very vast and light is dim.

An unaided human in space would see just about what you see in the desert, with a bit more resolution in the milky way and less twinkling (which is predominately an atmospheric effect)

You need to get close to see anything without a telescope.

Stars are pretty much coloured by their heat (hotter is bluer)

nebulae would be pretty much invisible up close

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    There’s some evidence that a pressurized air tank and a space suit providing only mechanical body compression with some kind of elastic could keep you alive and conscious in the vacuum of outer space for a while.

How many monkeys have we thrown out airlocks to see what actually happens? And if it's less then a lot, for the love of god why?

They might come back with superpowers.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Tom Cruise fought a Mummy once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTCEl_MFfHA

It's considerate of the thousand years old rags she's wearing to show a bunch of skin but manage to hold together enough to avoid the movie having an R rating

can't expect a mummy girl to find a shirt tho she's got a world to conquer

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    love me some robot vaccums

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sex in space must have happened by now right?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ESO-VLT-Laser-phot-33a-07.jpg#/media/File%3AESO-VLT-Laser-phot-33a-07_rsz.jpg

This reminded me of the most recent NOVA episode that aired last week about black holes: https://www.pbs.org/video/black-hole-apocalypse-yj34qi/

In part of the episode they went over some of the methods used to get these better images, and why those methods were important to eventually finding black holes.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »

What happens in low/no-G stays in low/no-G.

• Options

It's considerate of the thousand years old rags she's wearing to show a bunch of skin but manage to hold together enough to avoid the movie having an R rating

Oh I didn't know Griese from Peykey Bloyndrs was in the Mummy.

• Options

Are you counting low Earth orbit as space?

• Options

I mean specifically boning on the ISS or shuttles, must've happened.

• Options

this is absolutely one of the kinds of movies where listing the good things takes very little time and the griveous flaws take very very long

tom cruise's pal as a zombie was kind of neat actually, like as a character.

em...

Sofia Boutella

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    shryke wrote: »

oh none

...you used pressure tanks. And more dogs than chimps! Chimps are expensive.

The answer is "a lot".

What happened was retching, defecation, violent decompression sickness, often death

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Considering how microgravity causes blood to concentrate on your core/head, sex in space seems tricky for men

Lesbians will probably be fine

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options

this is absolutely one of the kinds of movies where listing the good things takes very little time and the griveous flaws take very very long

em...

Sofia Boutella

did you ever see this movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Bodies_(film)

i liked it ok

• Options

how could it not be counted as space

I mean if you're in orbit then you're super in space

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

What happens in low/no-G stays in low/no-G.

Until acted upon by an external force.

• Options

em...

Sofia Boutella

did you ever see this movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Bodies_(film)

i liked it ok

I did not

I thought you mentioned it because of sofia boutella instead of the zombie thing, at first

wishful thinking but then again, atomic blonde is a movie that exists

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    is it possible to get far enough away from any massive body where there are zero gravitational forces, as opposed to them just being negligible? like, something a thousandth of a gram wouldn't be attracted in any particular direction

• Options
    Once you ejaculate in space, it keeps going until it hits something. That can be a ship, or the planet behind that ship. It might go off into deep space and hit somebody else in ten thousand years.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    is it possible to get far enough away from any massive body where there are zero gravitational forces, as opposed to them just being negligible? like, something a thousandth of a gram wouldn't be attracted in any particular direction

gravity is a universal force

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_constant

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

IIRC gravity doesn't have a limit, it just gets smaller and smaller the father away you are.

So with a sufficiently accurate sensor you'll always detect gravity.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    also who knew adam levine was actually a reasonably strong lead guitarist

this purple rain solo

adam chan isn't just a pretty face..

• Options
    I mostly want to know what the deal is with the floating hat.

• Options
    maybe your sperm would be cryogenically frozen and then they could awaken and impregnate an alien lady

• Options

Your body would have gravity.

• Options
    maybe your sperm would be cryogenically frozen and then they could awaken and impregnate an alien lady

This is called Panspermia.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

the hat is way less confusing a repudiation of perspective than the wooden boards they're standing on

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

I see it as on the wood planks behind the execution.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    desc wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    If your butt was full of farts all the farts would come out.

If the cramps you get when ascending while scuba diving are any indication, I cannot even imagine the fart expansion.

One time I ate a huge amount of mexican food and went for a 45 minute dive, going as deep as 30 meters, right as I was digesting. The farts. My god the farts. Talk about explosive decompression. I had to completely empty my buoyancy vest to stay underwater.

I just said "oh no" out loud to myself as I read that

i did this all the time on the cozumel vacation, didn't have the same issues, fortunately.

• Options
    I recently watched Gunpowder and if it's an accurate source they had some gruesome fucking execution methods back then.

• Options
    Also, Desc, I meant to ask, with the baking powder after the vinegar: how does your head not become a science fair volcano?

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i think the guy is just tossing hats at the person about to be beheaded

aiming for the head

as soon as he gets it, executioner axes the guy

he has 2 more tries

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    I am at work for the last four hours of my shift. My ASM told me I could do this since I am pooping from every hole and they didn’t let me skip out last night because of it. I pointed out hey, if I come in half a day I won’t be eligible to use my sick pay :( and I was told yeah, just do us this favor since we’re slammed tonight and then you can stay home tomorrow and I’ll make sure you get sick pay

‘Just call me first thing in the morning to make sure it’s still ok’

So I’m on Imodium and tiny little slivers of bread and Powerade zero

If I get fucked when I call in tomorrow I am gonna be sad

well, i texted and she responded 'yeah no problem! i got so and so to cover your shift, you just need to work their thursday. feel better!'

except i have school tuesdays thursdays -___________________________________________________-

so now i am trying to get this fixed

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Also, Desc, I meant to ask, with the baking powder after the vinegar: how does your head not become a science fair volcano?

you rinse off between every step

This discussion has been closed.