As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Pester ThinkGeek and let them pester Nintendo in your stead

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Is it OK to talk about non-Metroid Metroid-style games here? Cause Steamworld Dig 2 definitely pulls a lot of inspiration from these games and you folks would probably like it.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I've got that goodgood Samus:

qpXEJLa.jpg

Wpkxb3j.jpg

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    And a thumbs up to you, Samus.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    That's a pretty great figure.

I do wish they would go back to the less hourglass figure Super Metroid design though.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Rami wrote: »
    That's a pretty great figure.

I do wish they would go back to the less hourglass figure Super Metroid design though.

I was just thinking about how I'd be all over a Super Metroid Samus if they made one.

edit: maybe include an actual metroid since we have enough Samus's in ball form now.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I like a lot of the details from the Prime-era Varia & Gravity Suits, but would prefer something closer to the Super Metroid proportions because... her body has to fit inside the thing. Now look at the shoulders-waist-hips proportions of that figure and imagine how Samus would have to be built. Fine for a cartoony style, but not the more lifelike art style they usually use for ZSS.

It's an awesome figure though, just saying why I'd prefer they went back to depicting the armor less wasp-waisted.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I went googling for Super Metroid Samus images and got this:

VRBCyTOZ.jpg

and in the similiar images section there was this:

cOv1M6F.jpg

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

VRBCyTOZ.jpg

I still have a Nintendo Power official strategy guide for Super Metroid with that picture. But if you look at that illustration, even it looks kind of jacked-up in terms of where her shoulder is vs the suit's shoulder, and how thin it is just above her hips. This has basically become my pet-peeve about power armor in sci-fi (and even some full-plate depictions in fantasy art) as I get older; it seems like very few creators/companies take the effort to plan out how the suit should fit around the body of the wearer to actually feel right.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    morph ball logic

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Chozo magic tech

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The section that's thin literally has abs, so maybe it's like spandex? :)

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    morph ball logic

I mean, in the prime games it looks like it turns Samus into a ball of energy in a metal shell*, so not really very comparable.

*I don't know if this was a fan theory or if it's actually from the games, but I have a recollection that the lore about the Chozo who achieve transcendence finding it difficult to return (with the ghosts being those trapped in-between and driven mad by phazon) led to a theory that the morphing ball is repurposed technology from a kind of meditation harness meant to anchor their ethereal form to reality.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

<snip>

I still have a Nintendo Power official strategy guide for Super Metroid with that picture. But if you look at that illustration, even it looks kind of jacked-up in terms of where her shoulder is vs the suit's shoulder, and how thin it is just above her hips. This has basically become my pet-peeve about power armor in sci-fi (and even some full-plate depictions in fantasy art) as I get older; it seems like very few creators/companies take the effort to plan out how the suit should fit around the body of the wearer to actually feel right.

Appleseed did this right at least in the manga. The user actually sat in the chest cavity and there were two small arms that their arms went into, that manipulated the main arms.

edit: found a better one -

c4110bb2d604f7cc51ded44e620ef5a3--masamune-shirow-character-design-references.jpg

I think in one issue, one of the mechanics / engineers actually talks about how the arms and legs translate user movement so they work properly.

Nosf on
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Look at that hair! God I miss the 80s.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Nosf wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

<snip>

Appleseed did this right at least in the manga. The user actually sat in the chest cavity and there were two small arms that their arms went into, that manipulated the main arms.

edit: found a better one -

c4110bb2d604f7cc51ded44e620ef5a3--masamune-shirow-character-design-references.jpg

I think in one issue, one of the mechanics / engineers actually talks about how the arms and legs translate user movement so they work properly.

Yeah, Masamune Shirow reused the same design in Ghost in the Shell (can't cite a manga example off the top of my head, but in the first season of Stand Alone Complex, the marine special forces unit working with the corrupt politician uses one to take on Kusanagi; you remember the scene where she one-hands an anti-material rifle?). His mecha-design in general doesn't get enough appreciation imho. I've heard mixed things about the newer anime projects, but I really love the new red spidermecha (logikoma) in it.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    My awesome lady got me the Samus Returns edition N3DS XL as an early Christmas present and man this thing is beautiful! The detail on the pattern and Samus is really great and the colors are so vibrant.

The 3DS has become one of my all time favorite systems so I'm happy to have this one in my collection along side my MH4U edition. I can't decide if I want to transfer and make it my main one or keep that on my MH one though...

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Metroid Samus Returns won best handheld game at The Game Awards.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    As well it should! I'm mad they didn't do a full physical trophy and stuff for it though.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Samus Returns, Area 6:
    Beat the Diggernaut tonight. Took six or so attempts. Once I got used to its patterns it wasn't too bad.

Protip: In the final phase, when it's electrifying its head, previously bombed circuits are safe.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Beat Samus Returns this weekend.
    Proteus Ridley is goddamn hard. Took me a dozen tries or so, and when I won I was down to my last energy tank and exhausted all my super missiles in the final counter animation. (That includes the reserve energy and missile tanks from Smash amiibos). Made for a thrilling experience when I beat him, though.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Got some belated Xmas gifts, including the SR amiibo 2 pack. This Samus is beefier than I expected. I thought it'd be largely in-scale with the Smash Bros one, but it's much heavier.

• Options
    I totally forgot that existed.

Also it's going for like 40-50 bucks on Amazon and ebay now.

• Options
    Yeah I actually got 2 in a mixup. Trying to decide if I hold onto it MOC or just return it for a quick $50. Or maybe there's someone here who really wanted it but couldn't get it for some reason? (shoot me a PM)

• Options
    edited January 2018
    So, I got this back in November, and have been playing off and on until late December. Got to the part where the diggerbot steals the power bomb and was putting off having to deal with him. Tonight I decided to get it over with and played through till I got the power bomb.

I feel like the diggerbot boss fight has too many different mechanics for one fight, it should've been split in two with a checkpoint midway. I wasn't really keeping count, but it was between 5 and 8 attempts for me. I never got too frustrated, but that was probably because I'd had my expectations built up so much by this thread. I found that using the Aeon powers to try and cheese mechanics didn't really work because I burned through my energy too quick and you don't get many chances to replenish during the fight so I ended up learning to handle almost all of it without them. When trying to phase shift my way through climbing the drills, I never seemed to have enough energy for both. Instead I just saved it to Lightning Armor the part where you roll around the head planting bombs to end it in one go. And yet I never did get the hang of the part where you shoot the purple jelly-things while dodging the targeting laser, which is probably not supposed to be difficult since it's the 'chance to recover health' mechanic.

Afterward, I made my way back to the save point and decided to end the session. There's an ammo upgrade almost immediately afterward that requires the powerbomb morphingball superjump technique, so I don't really know why people didn't figure out that was a thing? Anyways, next time I get to backtrack and claim all the stuff behind yellow doors/blocks/superjump shafts.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    They should make a Metroid game where the first powerup is the power bomb; just to mess with people.
    You don't get the morph ball until the end of the game.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    They should make a Metroid game where you get a pet Metroid to help with certain puzzles.
    The pet's main weakness is that it can't crawl... who knows why?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    They should make a Metroid game where the first powerup is the power bomb; just to mess with people.

They should make one where you have all your powers from the start but you don't get to use them until some dude gives you permission.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

They should make one where you have all your powers from the start but you don't get to use them until some dude gives you permission.

Including ones that would literally save your life.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

And then there is this crazy twist where the dude says "You can't use that power now" and you say "Fuck off" and unlock your entire arsenal.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Work in the rental system from Zelda Link Between Worlds somehow. Like maybe Samus loses her powers as usual but has to rent federation prototype duplicates that are weaker until you can find the full powered upgrades exploring chozo ruins.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    OK, so I never actually played the Metroid that Shall Not Be Named,

but I've seen gameplay videos and it actually looks like I would imagine a non-fps 3D Metroid should play? just from a gameplay perspective it looks kinda fun

or am I way off base?

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    The non-FPS stuff isn't bad. As far as Metroid games go its serviceable. The first person and "detective" stuff are pretty bad but fortunately they're a smaller part of the gameplay. I think most people hate the game for the story.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I felt thst swapping between third and first person modes never feels smooth or conductive to fast combat. It basically kills the momentum every time.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Nintendo trying to force in Wii mechanics did that game a disservice, that's for sure.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

And then there is this crazy twist where the dude says "You can't use that power now" and you say "Fuck off" and unlock your entire arsenal.
    And then he'll shoot you in the back next time you meet.

(literally that is what happens when Samus says "Any objections, Adam?" when they lose comms)

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    OK, so I never actually played the Metroid that Shall Not Be Named,

but I've seen gameplay videos and it actually looks like I would imagine a non-fps 3D Metroid should play? just from a gameplay perspective it looks kinda fun

or am I way off base?

The Wii Dpad as a sole control method of a 3d game is kinda bad.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Rumors have been confirmed; Bandai Namco is working on Metroid Prime 4.

YOU HAVE DIED

• Options
    Namco Bandai is a complete question mark for me. There are a bunch of studios and they also publish a lot of stuff not developed in house. I'll have to find out more as far as who the dev team is.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It's apparently a studio that's mostly been doing supplimentary work for Bamco games, because all their games before they were part of bandai namco got canned.

Most notably they were the devs for star wars 1313.

M A G I K A Z A M