As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    So I'm SL 54 and the DLC is a giant chore to get through. I'm not sure what else I can do to gain more SLs. Is there a good farming loop?

I would recommend at least SL 75 before doing the DLC. It scales rapidly up from the main game in terms of difficulty and HP on enemies.

• Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    RE: Upper Cathedral Ward:
    I think the area with the brainsuckers is the Orphanage. Those enemies are absolutely some of the cheapest in the game. If you're not opposed to out-cheaping them, you can turn right down the first hallway you come across after entering. There's a brainsucker at the end of the hall on the other side of a door who can be killed with near impunity with any weapon with reach. It drops the Orphanage Key which is all you need to exit through the large main door of the area. Blue-eyed werewolfs will break though the windows to guard the door but they can be avoided with blood cocktails or pulled one at a time. After that, it's a quick run to the first boss of the area with no more brainsuckers!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    They are also weak to bolt so feel free to use the Tonitrus or Bolt Paper you've been hoarding.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Or if you have been building arcane the tiny tonitrus lights them up real good.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    1 of those bastards can be enough of a pain in the ass. 3 of them to get the key is infuriating the first time you come across them, and it doesn't really get better (for me anyway) in subsequent plays, you just know it's coming and try to cope better.

There's always, in any of the souls games, 1 or 2 enemies, that no matter how many times I fight them, just doesn't get any better for me. These guys are one of them. The one outside Rom that has spells for the first time still gives me nightmares.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    They are also weak to bolt so feel free to use the Tonitrus or Bolt Paper you've been hoarding.
    They're actually weaker to fire than they are to bolt, though either will do the job. Or thrust.

You can probably also just chuck a couple poison knives at them.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Beast Roar is a great method for dealing with brainsuckers. Almost every character of mine uses it.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Beast Roar is a great method for dealing with brainsuckers. Almost every character of mine uses it.

This seems like an obvious solution, in retrospect. What's the best timing for it, and does it work even when they're doing their grab charge?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I'd like to get the DLC eventually, but when it's on sale. The base game and the DLC are the same price. Does the DLC really add 50+ hours? That's my issue with buying From's DLC.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    It's definitely not a Witcher 3 quality DLC but with all the toys and new bosses it brings I think it's well worth the $20 I spent.

Heck my arcane build I just did would not have been half as fun without the DLC.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Easiest way to deal with the Brainsuckers in Upper CW is to pop a Blue Elixer. Walk up and say "boo."

• Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    Is there any benefit to maintaining a high Insight count? Would it be better just to spend all your available Insight for upgrade materials and outfits in The Hunter's Dream? I know it's used for summoning but Madman's Knowledge can do in a pinch.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    DCAarmus wrote: »
    Is there any benefit to maintaining a high Insight count? Would it be better just to spend all your available Insight for upgrade materials and outfits in The Hunter's Dream? I know it's used for summoning but Madman's Knowledge can do in a pinch.
    Other than saving up 60 to buy blood rocks at end game, not really.

The only other major reason is so you can see the 'hidden' things in the game world before they're revealed post Rom.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    i've run a bloodtinge build four or five times at this point but somehow the chikage's ridiculous ass damage manages to surprise me every time

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    i've run a bloodtinge build four or five times at this point but somehow the chikage's ridiculous ass damage manages to surprise me every time

bloodletter
    bloodletter
    bloodletter

• Options
    Supposedly high insight also helps with a beasthood build.

But also lowers your frenzy resistance which you're much more likely to encounter.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Karoz wrote: »
    Supposedly high insight also helps with a beasthood build.

But also lowers your frenzy resistance which you're much more likely to encounter.

It's the opposite. You want low insight on a beast build, that makes your beast meter larger. Edit: and the higher the meter goes due to its size, the stronger the effect up to the cap.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Every time it just boggles my mind at how bad a mechanic frenzy is. Here's a thing that once it fills the meter will do so much damage you'll probably die the vast majority of the time. The enemies that add to the meter add to it over time so you have no idea how much frenzy you are accruing. Even after they are dead it continues to go up because the amount they added is more than the meter can keep up with, so you might die even after killing the thing.

Oh and it mainly shows up in places where you're going to be poisoned too.

Have fun!

• Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I'd like to get the DLC eventually, but when it's on sale. The base game and the DLC are the same price. Does the DLC really add 50+ hours? That's my issue with buying From's DLC.

I don't know if I would say 50+ hours but it does add a ton of content. There are 3 new zones (comparable in size of Nightmare of Mensis or Forbidden Woods), 5 new bosses (4 required), 16 new weapons (11 melee), 8ish armor sets, a smattering of new hunter tools, caryll runes and itmes. All told I would say it takes about 10-20 hours to finish, but the additional content added brings new depth to the game as well if you are down for additional playthroughs.

• Options
    HeraldS wrote: »

This seems like an obvious solution, in retrospect. What's the best timing for it, and does it work even when they're doing their grab charge?

You can do it as they start the grab motion and you should be able to get it off. After that, I like to do three attacks then roar again with fast weapons like the Saw Cleaver. With slower or more stamina-hungry weapons only attack twice.

This strategy also works wonders with enemy hunters and most humanoid enemies.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    It amazes when I learn something new about this game, big or little. For instance I never really messed with Beast Roar for whatever reason I can't remember. Now I'm watching youtube videos of bosses getting stunlocked to death.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Cursed Chalice Amygdala down. Never did that before. Tried about 6-8 times with a summon. Killed him solo on the second try. Also used Executioner's Gloves as my primary damage output (99 ARC). It was doing around 2.5k per volley.

On to ... whatever is next! *consults guide*

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    Cursed Chalice Amygdala down. Never did that before. Tried about 6-8 times with a summon. Killed him solo on the second try. Also used Executioner's Gloves as my primary damage output (99 ARC). It was doing around 2.5k per volley.

On to ... whatever is next! *consults guide*

arcane's the best. it makes shit like the defiled chalice cry for mercy.

• Options
    Yeah, I found that even if I got beat down in just like 3 hits from a boss, I knew why. Arc is certainly fun now that I'm embracing it more. The Blood Bullets -> Blood Vial -> Nuke way of playing is fun for a change of pace.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Pretty much everything at the early going of your first play through discourages you from putting points into Bloodtinge and Arcane. You find either nothing that scales from it, or the stuff that does scale from it (e.g. blunderbuss, pistol) does so little damage on its own that it leaves you going "huh?", or has some unique disadvantage that makes you want something else as a primary source of damage... which doesn't scale off either of those! I think for most players the first serious damage source that scales from Bloodtinge might be the flamethrower? Molotovs scale from Arcane and you can get those suuuuper early, but you definitely can't carry enough to just Molotov every enemy you come across.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    The flamesprayer is arcane.

Between that and the fact that fire gems are available after BSB makes arcane not terrible at all an early investment. There's also the tonitrus.

Bloodtinge is a little iffier. Earliest option is the bowblade.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Between that and the fact that fire gems are available after BSB makes arcane not terrible at all an early investment. There's also the tonitrus.

What nah the Chikage and the Evelyn are available way earlier.

• Options

technically all three are available at the same point, after amelia

you can either go to the dlc, or cainhurst. chikage is behind a boss though.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Upper cathedral ward
    I got so frustrated with the "Zoidberg" enemies that anytime they managed to hit me with the Trap spell i would exit the game and reload it.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I did the 2 day trial for the Playstation Network and just played this in online mode for the first time last night.

It never stops being hilarious checking out specters in areas with huge enemies. Watch the specter run around before getting ragdolled across the screen by an unseen force.

I'm thinking this is a huge spoiler, but holy jeebus what is with the MASSIVE amount of specters in Hunter's Dream o_O

Best notes: "No mercy for wheelchairs" in front of the first "wheelchair grandpa" enemy in the house at Central Yharnam, and my own "this is the scourge of the elderly" in front of the old woman survivor in the Cathedral ward lantern.

I had fun for 2 straight hours just using the small resonance bell just answering people's calls to co-op dogpile Father G. But can anyone tell me how the spawn location works? Half the time I answer a beckoning bell it spawns me where I was in my world and I have to catch up to wherever the summoner is (most of the time I can only find them by the boss fight notification), and half the time it spawns me right at the summoner. What controls this?

How do the co-op mechanics work anyway? Is there some level range cap for co-op? It would be a shame if I got leveled out of answering beckoning bells in Central Yharnam since that's where all the action seems to be (it only takes 30-60 seconds in Central Yharnam to answer a Beckoning but took 10 minutes in the Cathedral, and I was never able to summon anyone myself in Cathedral).

(Disclaimer: I have zero hangups about using a walkthrough on first runs through Souls games)

In other news, I fought the rooftop hunter in Old Yharnam once, got my ass kicked, and then farmed the 10k echoes for the Cathedral gate key. Then I quickly ran into the Vicar boss. Actually got her down to 20% the first try. But then did some reading and apparently it's advised to go through Old Yharnam and do a bunch of other stuff first since
    a bunch of shop unlock items are there, and killing the Vicar advances the game to night and all the prices skyrocket

Eileen
    It is complete total bullshit that you only get ONE shot at not letting her die in the Henryk fight or else her questline is closed off to you for that ENTIRE RUN. Wish I knew about the upload save state cheese before that.

MrBody on
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    I'm thinking this is a huge spoiler, but holy jeebus what is with the MASSIVE amount of specters in Hunter's Dream o_O

No real spoilers there, just people using weapons that eat HP until they die. Being goofy I guess.

As for your summoning questions, you can only summon in areas where the boss is alive. The reason it didn't work in Cathedral Ward yet is you have to open the gates leading further into the area first. Here's a summoning range calculator.

• Options
    I figured that, but I also couldn't use the Small Resonance Bell, for the same reason I guess? Even though my summoner would have the gates opened?

But even after I opened the gates, I'm talking waiting time for summoning. It took FOREVER to answer a summon in Cathedral right before the Vicar boss, and nobody ever answered my Beckoning bell for 5 minutes. This was coming straight off Central Yharnam co-op for the Cleric Beast and Father G where the average wait was less than a minute.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    I figured that, but I also couldn't use the Small Resonance Bell, for the same reason I guess? Even though my summoner would have the gates opened?

But even after I opened the gates, I'm talking waiting time for summoning. It took FOREVER to answer a summon in Cathedral right before the Vicar boss, and nobody ever answered my Beckoning bell for 5 minutes. This was coming straight off Central Yharnam co-op for the Cleric Beast and Father G where the average wait was less than a minute.

Could just be people aren't playing & ringing as much as they used to.

• Options

You can just kill Simon if you want to rush it. Doesn't break anything.

• Options
    @MrBody here is some co-op info:

-Use the level calculator to see who you can summon or be summoned by. General level ranges for the game: 32-start through BSB/ 64-through the One Reborn/ 80-DLC/ 120-endgame & chalices/ 150-chalices.

-You can't summon help in an area once you've beaten that area's boss. So you can't summon help in the Cathedral Ward once you kill Amelia.

-You can't summon or be summoned right outside the bosses area. You'll notice these areas because the bell icon will be crossed out.

-Your covenant runes will sometimes make you enemies with the people you summon, or those that summon you. Two are obvious. The only one you might find surprising is the one you get from Eileen.

-The Short Ritual Root Chalice is a great way to co-op in the chalices.

-Use your gestures to communicate. Be gracious and entertaining.

-A hunter must hunt, but sometimes it's dangerous to go alone.

• Options
    Oh shit, there is some good stuff in the deleted content.
    Umbasa.

:surprised:

• Options
    Biggest specter laugh: checking a bloodplat out under a ladder, seeing nothing, wondering if it didn't hit the button right, then seeing a specter plummet out of the sky to hit the ground.

• Options
    Many times (across all Soulsborne titles) I'll hit the button and not see the animation play out for a death, but I've had a couple where they jump/fall out of nowhere and die. Always amuses me!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've always been incredibly suspicious of all the deaths in the Hunter's Dream where dudes are just standing there and get murdered.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I've always been incredibly suspicious of all the deaths in the Hunter's Dream where dudes are just standing there and get murdered.

It's usually people screwing around with Chikage or Logarius wheel