As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, I jumped back into this game after stopping months back (I had a 16 game win streak when I stopped and was scared to come back). Played in tabletop mode with my pro controller and got wrecked every match. Never been so salty in my life. Haha. I think TV mode is the only way I will play this anymore.

Seeing people with equipment that had literally 1 type of power up probably x6 or more made me not want to play.

There's two bits of good news about that last bit:

1) It's not necessarily easy, but far more achievable than it was in Splatoon 1, to get that kind of loadout without cheating.
    2) There's diminishing returns on the value of each point of investment in each attribute, so while rolling out with a giant stack of the same powerup is a neat parlor trick, it doesn't necessarily mean that they're more powerful overall than you are-- just completely lopsided on exactly one bonus.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Reminder that AGDQ 2018 starts today and one of the games they'll be running later today is Splatoon 2.

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    So, I jumped back into this game after stopping months back (I had a 16 game win streak when I stopped and was scared to come back). Played in tabletop mode with my pro controller and got wrecked every match. Never been so salty in my life. Haha. I think TV mode is the only way I will play this anymore.

Seeing people with equipment that had literally 1 type of power up probably x6 or more made me not want to play.

There's two bits of good news about that last bit:

1) It's not necessarily easy, but far more achievable than it was in Splatoon 1, to get that kind of loadout without cheating.
    2) There's diminishing returns on the value of each point of investment in each attribute, so while rolling out with a giant stack of the same powerup is a neat parlor trick, it doesn't necessarily mean that they're more powerful overall than you are-- just completely lopsided on exactly one bonus.

Ah, OK. That makes sense. I was probably just seeing red...or pink or green...and figured "WHAT CHEATERS."

I'll have to give it a go on a regular screen and see what's up with me.

I still haven't figured out how to really earn the currency needed to fix item bonuses. I think I looked and you just have to play the wave mode...which is only when Nintendo lets you.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    You also get them by "scrubbing" the bonuses off an item that you've you've already unlocked/added bonuses on. Previously when Splatfests came around you could fairly quickly get some by repeatedly unlocking just one ability on the Splatfest Tee then scrubbing it for cheap. They stopped that by making the exp. cost for unlocking abilities on the Splatfest Tee the same for all slots rather than starting low for the first and making each subsequent slot higher like every other piece of equipment, though it's still cheaper to scrub it.

• Options
    Hmm. I'll have to experiment with it. Maybe if I can get the right combo of bonuses, I can enjoy the game a little better.

Like, I have a few 4 bonus pieces of clothing. So, I can scrub the bonuses off those (does it just make them ??? again or will they become clothes with 0 bonus slots?) and re-roll for something better? Isn't there something where you need like 20k to scrub stuff or am I thinking of something else?

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    You can scrub stuff for 20k during normal play or you can wait for a splatfest when the price drops to 2k.
    Either way, when you do, the existing secondary slots are cleared to (?) status and you also get a ‘chunk’ matching the ability that was scrubbed. Chunks can be combined (ten at a time) to fill an empty slot with exactly the ability you want.
    If you don’t want to, or don’t have enough chunks, the slots can be refilled by earning experience again like the first time.
    Regardless, you can’t change the primary slot on a piece of gear, though, if you have the app, you can sometimes get gear with alternate primaries.
    Finally you can pick up drink tickets that Crusty Sean will exchange for temporary bonuses to stats as well as an enhanced chance of rolling a particular slot when you do advance a piece of gear.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Had no clue how to play the ranked Clam Blitz mode (figuring people there would be more competitive and not be horrible teammates). I was the one who was unhelpful. At least in the first game. I was collecting clams like wtf. THROW? WHERE?! I threw it back up into our spawn and through our net area. Haha.

I have to run off to hockey right now, but I think I'll try more of that when I get back/tomorrow. I like that gametype now that I researched WTF to do.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Finally you can pick up drink tickets that Crusty Sean will exchange for temporary bonuses to stats as well as an enhanced chance of rolling a particular slot when you do advance a piece of gear.
    Small correction, the drinks don't give a bonus to stats, they give a 1.5x multiplier to equipment exp. gain.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Had no clue how to play the ranked Clam Blitz mode (figuring people there would be more competitive and not be horrible teammates). I was the one who was unhelpful. At least in the first game. I was collecting clams like wtf. THROW? WHERE?! I threw it back up into our spawn and through our net area. Haha.

I have to run off to hockey right now, but I think I'll try more of that when I get back/tomorrow. I like that gametype now that I researched WTF to do.

All of the Ranked Modes are slightly obtuse, but that is what the ranking is for. Everyone in C level is still figuring it out, and once you figure it out you shoot to B pretty quickly.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Shellendorf Institute is opening it's doors to the public Thursday night.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    January 12th, 11am JST (which is ~6pm PST, Jan. 11th, if I did the math correctly).

• Options
    The main weapon balance patch sounds to be dropping on the 17'th.

Translated patch notes, courtesy of reddit.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Oooh, Glooga's are more ink-efficient. The fast ink consumption was my main problem with them back when they came out, so maybe I'll give them a try again.

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    This shifty station feels like the first version where I can't make use of the Splatlings range. It's a lot more cramped and there's not many good sniping spots.

Had to fall back to the Brella.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    This shifty station feels like the first version where I can't make use of the Splatlings range. It's a lot more cramped and there's not many good sniping spots.

Had to fall back to the Brella.

On the other hand, invisible platforms are hilarious and rad and I loved it. Each Splatfest, Shifty Station continues to be my favorite.

• Options
    Results are in!

himIM9d.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    This splatfest confused me. Aren't most action movies comedies anyways? I can't think of any action movie tragedy.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    A win on my first Splatfest :) I ended up around 50-50 in my matches but it sure didn't feel close. I calibrated at 2092 but ended around 1920.

The maps changing instead of being fixed throughout the Splatfest is a nice change from the first game.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Tried to jump back into this after not playing for months, and oof, this was a rough one. I was on team action, and despite being the top one or two spot on my team most games, we won maybe 25-30%?

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    This splatfest confused me. Aren't most action movies comedies anyways? I can't think of any action movie tragedy.

When some people think of action they think like, summer blockbuster Marvel movies. But an action film is generally something like Rambo, Eraser, Enter the Dragon, Aliens, etc.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

When some people think of action they think like, summer blockbuster Marvel movies. But an action film is generally something like Rambo, Eraser, Enter the Dragon, Aliens, etc.

...I was referring to the classical categories :P.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    14W-12L. I contributed! Goooo Team Comedy!

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I didn’t keep exact track of wins as Action, but it seemed about even I guess

But more than once Comedy would just completely blow us out, like 82% to 7%...

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    I only knew about my wins because of the Splatverse2 App.

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    My win streak is over. I had a feeling team action was popular, it was the first Splatfest where I didn't have any mirror matches.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I don't get how people online can sweep stingrays over a large arc, is there a trick to the motion controls or something?

• Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Bought splatoon 2 but couldn't find the thread.

Enjoying it so far, but as a Splatoon 1 vet I def have quite a few gripes. Forced tuturial with motion controls, gross way to start the game. OK no biggie, finish it quickly.
    But motion controls are love, motion controls are life.
    I don't remember level progression being sooooo slow the first time around. They give out XP like rations. I can win a bunch of rounds in a row, and there's no streak bonus? Why would a squad based shooter have no perk for winning a bunch in a row? Especially since it could alleviate the grind.

@earthwormadam

Leveling up is more akin to how they reworked levels post-20 in the first game. Equipping an Aerospray and inking constantly isn't going to get you experience any faster, you cap out at 500 points for inking so you aren't punished for using a blaster or charger so long as you can get +500 in Turf War.
    Anyone have tips for getting overy the hump to start. I'm level 8 now.
    Ranked is better experience if you can carry reasonably well, that unlocks at 10. Learn your way around Salmon Run because the rewards are good. That includes meal tickets (+EXP and +Cash), cash (can be 4000, 16000, or 32000), drink tickets, Grizzco gear (3 slots and random main ability). I always play to at least 1200p for both super bonuses.

The experience and cash tickets are helpful. Money is money.
    Really feeling stuck with crap equipment that the store doesn't change. I get you can't start with all the good stuff, but my gear is really crap.
    The store changes every 24 hours, make sure you check the SplatNet store if you have a smartphone. The gear found there can have different main abilities than what you'll find in the stores. This site can let you see what is available and also what the original item had for its main ability.
    Also there's a lot of returning stages that I wasn't crazy about the first time around. Except moray towers, I love that one! This game is still really odd in the way you're locked into a few stages until they rotate. The way mariokart does online track selection is a hundred times better.
    Spotted the charger main.

Maps rotate every two hours now.

In other news, the .96 Gal Deco drops tonight:

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Thanks bud!

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    'Kay, splatfest now, and the hell are these cannon in the mystery zone, and how do i use them?

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    'Kay, splatfest now, and the hell are these cannon in the mystery zone, and how do i use them?
    If it's like Salmon Run you just try to swim into them (letting go of the squid button will let you exit). Shots use your own ink supply.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    If it's like Salmon Run you just try to swim into them (letting go of the squid button will let you exit). Shots use your own ink supply.

The shots using my own supply is what was screwing me up, i was paying attention to the meter on the right, and i looked like i still had ink enough for one shot.
    Ended up playing a few hours of Fest matches last night, mostly good matches, but a few real awful blowouts. The returning mall map is going to take some getting used to. Most of my worst play was there.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »

The shots using my own supply is what was screwing me up, i was paying attention to the meter on the right, and i looked like i still had ink enough for one shot.
    Ended up playing a few hours of Fest matches last night, mostly good matches, but a few real awful blowouts. The returning mall map is going to take some getting used to. Most of my worst play was there.

There was a Splatfest this weekend?

• Options
    edited February 2018
    In Japan, at least.

To elaborate: Hime's (Pearl's) team was "Kings," Iida's (i forget her English name) was "Challengers." i went with Iida this go, going King would have been a bit too on the nose. i hadn't even known there was going to be a Fest, i've been way too busy to play much recently.

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Money can't buy you love

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    But it lets you rent it.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    But apparently it can buy you
    a pool full of mayo?

...WHY, PEARL?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Actually you can buy love with money. Checkmate, atheists

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    But apparently it can buy you
    a pool full of mayo?

...WHY, PEARL?

*Blink*Blinkety Blink*

Wait...what?

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)