Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DOOMED! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Anyone recommend enter the gundeon for the switch? I played it on ps4 for a bit, but I'm wondering how the switch port is. It's on sale now and with my gold coins I can get it below 10 bucks, so seems like a good deal.

i didn't notice any particular problems with the Switch version (aside from the fact that i'm still not all that good at it). There was something weird with some of the shop items being 9999shells, i think you were supposed to steal them to get them to unlock or something, but they don't unlock? Someone here had mentioned that.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah. The Payday2 promo items. They start showing up in the store after the first time you get a certain milestone of currency held at one time. They cost 9999, so you're expected to steal them to unlock them. Problem is that the unlocking is bugged and doesn't work, and they take up a slot in the store every time instead of on a random chance. Dunno if that's been fixed. It's not game-breaking, but it makes things harder by effectively reducing the store's capacity for items you can buy.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah. The Payday2 promo items. They start showing up in the store after the first time you get a certain milestone of currency held at one time. They cost 9999, so you're expected to steal them to unlock them. Problem is that the unlocking is bugged and doesn't work, and they take up a slot in the store every time instead of on a random chance. Dunno if that's been fixed. It's not game-breaking, but it makes things harder by effectively reducing the store's capacity for items you can buy.

Ok since you have payday 2 I have questions
    What heisters do you get? I heard you still get Wick and Jacket but again I have no idea who is in it
    I heard there is only a limited time to buy the game to get Joy?

I can just play with my brother and do two man ops? with the dumb AI still?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    anoffday wrote: »
    Anyone recommend enter the gundeon for the switch? I played it on ps4 for a bit, but I'm wondering how the switch port is. It's on sale now and with my gold coins I can get it below 10 bucks, so seems like a good deal.

It's good. It was actually rebalanced in some subtle ways to make it a little easier and more fun with more weapon variety early on. The port is fine, runs perfectly.

EDIT: Forgot about the 9999 coins thing. Uh actually that didn't happen to me yet. Possible solution/workaround here?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

Ok since you have payday 2 I have questions
    What heisters do you get? I heard you still get Wick and Jacket but again I have no idea who is in it
    I heard there is only a limited time to buy the game to get Joy?

I can just play with my brother and do two man ops? with the dumb AI still?

I don't have Payday 2.

I'm talkin' about items in Enter the Gungeon that were added as cross-promotion with Payday 2.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So, Bayonetta.

Have I gotten really terrible at video games, or is this game really hard? Playing on normal, I've yet to achieve above a stone trophy. It's just not happening for me. I feel like I'm Dean Takahashi playing Cuphead levels of terrible at this game.

Am I supposed to be replaying levels until I get a silver or gold trophy in order to git gud? Am I supposed to just keep failing my way forward laboriously, and replay the game having powered up with witch hearts and moons and techniques and weapons and shit? Is all of this the nominal play experience?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    So, Bayonetta.

Have I gotten really terrible at video games, or is this game really hard? Playing on normal, I've yet to achieve above a stone trophy. It's just not happening for me. I feel like I'm Dean Takahashi playing Cuphead levels of terrible at this game.

Am I supposed to be replaying levels until I get a silver or gold trophy in order to git gud? Am I supposed to just keep failing my way forward laboriously, and replay the game having powered up with witch hearts and moons and techniques and weapons and shit? Is all of this the nominal play experience?

Bayonetta 1 has shit attack notifications, which makes the game much harder than it should be. I personally did not like Bayo 1 because of this and would recommend you just go straight to 2.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So, Bayonetta.

Dodge when you hear the whoosh after the angels shout what sounds like "KATANA"

Your best combo for putting out damage in a short window is Punch Kick Punch. That's your bread and butter. Remember it. PKP.

Do not dodge all willy nilly. Dodge when you are about to get hit. Otherwise just walk, or run. When and if you can get the counter move (I believe it's from an item called the Moon of Maha-kala or something similar), practice it against a single weak enemy until you get used to it.

I have kicked the shit out of that game and its sequel, up and down the street, on more than one occasion and on every difficulty. My first time through I had Enzo statues falling out of my pockets. Do not worry about it. Use your lollipops. Do not be ashamed to heal, or become invincible, or boost your damage. Yoru first time through any stage (or the whole game even) is abhout learning, not about mastery.

So relax. The optimal experience is whatever you want it to be. If you like what the game does, then you can worry about getting good rewards. If you want to replay stages, go ahead. If you don't, don't worry about it.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Oh and for GOD'S SAKE:

When you go up against Grace and Glory, they are nightmares but you can trip them, and if you trip them you can beat them to death without worrying about them. Fight them like everything else and you will discover the limits of your abilities, and they better be high if you fight those things like normal.

I can't remember what button combo gets you to it, but whatever move does Bayo's leg sweep is the MVP against those two. Master it. Use it on every human-sized enemy just for practice, it's great for giving you combo opportunities anyway.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The new Kirby game seems to be getting "meh" reviews, which is a shame since Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot were aces.

The reviews that it is getting are not bad. It's getting about the same 7 and 8 that most of the Kirby games end up getting.

That is good enough for me as going into Kirby I know exactly what I'm getting, a rather easy game that is still charming and enjoyable and in the end I'm happy that I played and periodically will go back to.

Plus I'll be playing the game with my kids so it add that much fun to it also.

Yeah, sounds OK to me honestly. Some folks seem to be freaking out about the metascore, when at the very least most reviews say that it's a decent-to-good game. It just won't be the best thing ever. That's fine.

Also, yay Runner 3 release date!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KjvgfQ3zdw

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Just finished Mario+rabbids in the most fittingly way possible.
    Mario has been downed, sitting uselessly on the ground. Princess Peach takes down Bowser with a short range shotgun blast to the head. "Sorry Bowser, our princess is in your castle".

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Just finished Bayonetta in the most fittingly way possible.
    died 100x then got a stone award

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I have a USB ethernet adapter hooked up to my dock, and when I'm not using the Switch I keep it in the dock. Before the recent update, while docked in sleep mode, the orange indicator light on the ethernet adapter would occasionally come on while, I assume, the Switch woke up to download something. Now, after the 5.0 thing, the orange indicator light is just always on, even when the Switch is in sleep mode.

Did they change something with that update to just make the console always online, even when asleep?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    NBA 2k18 is pretty great so far. Graphically it's pretty solid and there's just something magical about a full quality sports game on a handheld complete with commentary and soundtrack. I think I'll have to try the career mode thing next. My only complaints are that it took a long time to get into the first time (registering an account and seemingly forced to create a basketballman immediately) and the space it takes up. I had to archive Snake Pass to free up internal memory - the Switch really needs a "Move to SD Card" feature for games that you bought before installing a memory card.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm liking skyrim a lot more now that I was finally able to buy Lakeview manor.

.... now to find 10 million iron ingots

I still don't exactly understand filling soul gems or the alchemy/enchanting level up loop though

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    So, Bayonetta.

Don't forget to be using items and making them. Yellow Lollipops make you invincible and really help just getting through problematic encounters when you don't deliberately want to practice them. Purple ones to refill your magic so you can use accessories like Pulley's Butterfly or the Infernal Communicator.

Do not worry about the rankings. Because this is how Bayonetta rankings work.

Every Verse has its own combo and time requirements, but if you get hit once that immediately takes you from Platinum to Gold for Damage. You can get hit more than twice and keep a Gold for Damage but not by much. To get Platinum for Combo you'll have to really make use of Wicked Weaves and keep your combo score from dropping through the encounter.

When it comes to your Chapter ranking, every Chapter has its own numerical threshold for each Trophy. The main reason your Chapter score may seem really low is missed verses and Alfheims. A missed versed counts 0 toward your Chapter score, and even a Stone Trophy on a hidden Verse or Alfheim is better than missing them. So if you did pretty well on the verses you did, but there are lots of empty spaces between your verse medals then that's a lot of missing potential points that could be going to your total score.

Using Items and Dying also count heavily against you, so its best to just ignore the ranking system until you want to play specifically for it.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I have a USB ethernet adapter hooked up to my dock, and when I'm not using the Switch I keep it in the dock. Before the recent update, while docked in sleep mode, the orange indicator light on the ethernet adapter would occasionally come on while, I assume, the Switch woke up to download something. Now, after the 5.0 thing, the orange indicator light is just always on, even when the Switch is in sleep mode.

Did they change something with that update to just make the console always online, even when asleep?

They made it check for downloads faster. Wifi is now always up when I bring it out of sleep mode instead of having to wait a couple of seconds.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Viskod wrote: »
    So, Bayonetta.

Don't forget to be using items and making them. Yellow Lollipops make you invincible and really help just getting through problematic encounters when you don't deliberately want to practice them. Purple ones to refill your magic so you can use accessories like Pulley's Butterfly or the Infernal Communicator.

Do not worry about the rankings. Because this is how Bayonetta rankings work.

Every Verse has its own combo and time requirements, but if you get hit once that immediately takes you from Platinum to Gold for Damage. You can get hit more than twice and keep a Gold for Damage but not by much. To get Platinum for Combo you'll have to really make use of Wicked Weaves and keep your combo score from dropping through the encounter.

When it comes to your Chapter ranking, every Chapter has its own numerical threshold for each Trophy. The main reason your Chapter score may seem really low is missed verses and Alfheims. A missed versed counts 0 toward your Chapter score, and even a Stone Trophy on a hidden Verse or Alfheim is better than missing them. So if you did pretty well on the verses you did, but there are lots of empty spaces between your verse medals then that's a lot of missing potential points that could be going to your total score.

Using Items and Dying also count heavily against you, so its best to just ignore the ranking system until you want to play specifically for it.

Yeah, missing things was what always dropped my score like a rock. I'd reliably get Golds and Silvers, even the ocassional platinum on easy and lucky encounters, but I was lucky to see my final score rise above Bronze, with a lot of it being plain statues, because I missed truckloads of things.

At first it really bothered me, but I kind of decided that fuck it, I'd just be happy if I did well in the things I did find.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Here's the key to enjoying Bayonetta:

Ignore your score. Are you getting through the levels? Are you having fun? Don't let those stone trophies ruin that.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So, Bayonetta.

I mean, if you're beating the levels is that really failing?

The trophy at the end is based on your ranking for all the challenges through the level, so if you just don't find some of those challenges/fights your end score is going to suffer greatly because all of those missed ones count as 0 score. You can get mostly perfect on the encounters and still end up with a stone or copper trophy due to just missing areas.

If you are progressing you are doing fine. The trophy and scores are for extra challenge and only matter if you care.

• Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    So, Bayonetta.

I just finished this one last week and got a stone trophy in the majority of the chapters. I just focused on the story and didn't really try replaying chapters.

Now I started Bayonetta 2 and it is so much better, been getting silver/gold trophies consistently and the combat feels a lot easier to handle.

I would suggest try not getting hung up on the bad rankings, just play and enjoy bayonetta 1 then move onto the second one.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Really don't like hidden missions/verses in those type of games. I just want to beat stuff up in action games, not have some clunky exploration elements. That type of thing was the worst in Platinum's Transformers Devastation, just running/driving around in sprawling stages looking for hidden side missions.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

Ok, so this right here. Is it just known that I'm supposed to be saving up for specific $100,000 accessories first and foremost? Is it common knowledge I lack that certain ones are essential and others are just kinda blah? Is this like how I heard stories about how the Estus Flask was an essential item in Dark Souls, but it was possible to miss getting it, or not even know about it?

I understand combos, though I'm bad at them. And I understand witch time, though I'm bad at it. I still get the sense there is some glue holding this game together I'm just not seeing.

Like for example, the lock on button is R, but the dodge button is ZR? Am I supposed to stay locked on holding R with one finger, and hitting ZR with another finger? Otherwise I'm having a bitch of a time with the camera, as it's always too close to Bayonetta to see enemies on my 6. But I've never played a game in my life that required me to have 2 fingers on the shoulder buttons, and attempting to do so is just not happening for me. This must be what it feels like to be 80 and pick up a controller for the first time.

I just recently discovered I can use ZL I think it was to switch weapons. But I'm not sure what the point of equiping different guns on my heels is since they only seem to activate when I hold a strong attack, firing a gun after a kick, or do my spinny stand on my hands and fire my heel guns move.

Namrok on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »

I still don't exactly understand filling soul gems or the alchemy/enchanting level up loop though

Soul gems are used for 2 things: enchanting an existing item, and recharging an enchanted weapon that has lost some/all of its charge.

You can fill an empty soul gem 2 ways: by casting the soul trap spell on an enemy and killing it before the spell wears off, or by killing them with a weapon enchanted with soul trap. Different sizes of soul gem capture different souls. Petty souls are things like wolves, chickens, cows etc. Larger ones are more dangerous creatures like frost trolls and snow bears, all the way up to black soul gems for NPCs (including nameless vampires and bandits). Generally you won't know the quality of a soul unless you consult guides. Black soul gems are the best for enchanting anything, largest magnitudes of effect etc. but you will probably need/want to use worse gems for leveling up your enchanting skill.

The souls of things you kill will automatically go into the largest gem you have, which is annoying, because you'll have this really valuable grand soul gem and some petty rabbit will end up inside it. You can get the soul out of the gem by simply dropping it on the floor and picking it back up. If a soul is too big for anything you have you won't get it, i.e. killing a vampire while you're carrying petty soul gems.

I dunno if you want specifically to level up alchemy and enchanting or to craft better gear using them.

Gear-wise, to prevent infinite improvement, you can't make a potion that makes your alchemy better and you can't enchant gear that makes your enchanting better. However they can affect each other. So you can make a potion that boosts enchanting, drink it, make gear that boosts alchemy, wear it, make a potion that boosts enchanting (higher this time), drink it, make new gear that boosts alchemy (higher this time), wear it, etc. This still caps out relatively quickly with the best quality ingredients and soul gems.

For leveling...

The XP you earn for alchemy is based on the value of the potion created, and the highest value-boosting ingredient is the giant's toe. Giant's toe-based potions will get you a lot more alchemy XP than anything else. Of course you have to put in second or third ingredients that go along with it (blue mountain flower and glowing mushroom are some).

XP for enchanting an item is based on a number of things, but I think the most important is the specific enchantment. The best one in the game for the purposes of leveling is Banish, which dismisses summoned Daedra. The earliest that merchants will carry items with this enchantment is level 22, but it's very rare. If you don't mind cheating you can check a merchant's inventory, save the game, punch them or kill them, then reload the game, and they will have new inventory. For me I basically just made 100 iron daggers and put Banish on all of them with whatever soul gems I had to work with, and enchanting went up pretty quickly.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    NBA 2k18 is pretty great so far. Graphically it's pretty solid and there's just something magical about a full quality sports game on a handheld complete with commentary and soundtrack. I think I'll have to try the career mode thing next. My only complaints are that it took a long time to get into the first time (registering an account and seemingly forced to create a basketballman immediately) and the space it takes up. I had to archive Snake Pass to free up internal memory - the Switch really needs a "Move to SD Card" feature for games that you bought before installing a memory card.

I've put over 70 hours into it since it came out, and it is indeed amazing having a fully featured sports game like this on a handheld. They've supported the game with patches, and I'm pretty sure it's running a lot smoother now than it was a launch, which is hopefully a good sign that they will continue to put the series out on the Switch.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

I've put over 70 hours into it since it came out, and it is indeed amazing having a fully featured sports game like this on a handheld. They've supported the game with patches, and I'm pretty sure it's running a lot smoother now than it was a launch, which is hopefully a good sign that they will continue to put the series out on the Switch.

How is NBA2K18 in regards to monetization? I read that it's pretty hard to advance MyCareer without actually paying money.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

Ok, so this right here. Is it just known that I'm supposed to be saving up for specific $100,000 accessories first and foremost? Is it common knowledge I lack that certain ones are essential and others are just kinda blah? Is this like how I heard stories about how the Estus Flask was an essential item in Dark Souls, but it was possible to miss getting it, or not even know about it?

I understand combos, though I'm bad at them. And I understand witch time, though I'm bad at it. I still get the sense there is some glue holding this game together I'm just not seeing.

Like for example, the lock on button is R, but the dodge button is ZR? Am I supposed to stay locked on holding R with one finger, and hitting ZR with another finger? Otherwise I'm having a bitch of a time with the camera, as it's always too close to Bayonetta to see enemies on my 6. But I've never played a game in my life that required me to have 2 fingers on the shoulder buttons, and attempting to do so is just not happening for me. This must be what it feels like to be 80 and pick up a controller for the first time.

I just recently discovered I can use ZL I think it was to switch weapons. But I'm not sure what the point of equiping different guns on my heels is since they only seem to activate when I hold a strong attack, firing a gun after a kick, or do my spinny stand on my hands and fire my heel guns move.

I wouldn't worry about locking on too much. The game auto targets well.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've been eyeing the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary collection. Saw it's releasing on Switch, which I want to support, but also want to use my Mad Catz Fight Stick. Buying it on Switch means purchasing a USB adapter as well, where I could just get it on Steam and be done.

Choices....

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Dont bother with the lock on.

The Onyx Rose (shotguns) may share the same moveset as Scarborough Fair (standard guns) but the difference comes with how they fire when you hold down punch or kick. The Shotguns are naturally big aoe blasts that do a lot of damage upclose and can knock enemies out of their animations and movements with a slight stun. The standard guns are long range and fire a lot of bullets and are better at building magic meter.

Try using combos and holding down each button so that you fire the guns after each punch or kick once you get the timing down you can do something like P(hold), P(hold), P(hold), K(hold), K(hold) and do a ton of damage while staying at range away from enemies.

Saving up for an accessory by redoing a boss fight or say, the Prologue, The Vestibule, over and over is a good idea. Pulley's Butterfly summons a shield of butterflies that will protect you from a couple of attacks, The Infernal Communicator will summon little devils that will attack with you and increase your damage. Those are probably the easiest to use and get used to. There's also one that automatically activates Witch Time when you get hit.

Despite how fast paced the game feels you can actually take it pretty slow. Just work on getting down some of the basic combos with the guns and shotguns and learn to finish them so you can get those wicked weaves out.

You can hit + or - on the loading screens to pause them there and it'll let you practice all the combos until you want to move on.

PKP is a great short combo for getting out a wicked weave. Its especially good with the sword because the WW Blade swipes in an arc in front of you hitting a lot of things at once.

PPKKK or PPPKKK I don't remember exactly which is which here, but one of these has two Wicked Weave Kicks in it, and the other one has one Wicked Weave Kick at the end, but is a great combo for holding the attacks and shooting your guns because Bayonetta when doing the spin kick and the following kick during this combo will actually fire the guns on both her hands and feet at the same time doing a lot of damage and building a lot of magic.

PP * P or PPP * P whichever one of these ends in the Wicked Weave. Once you get down how to handle the delay that needs to occur before the last P this is a great combo because the delay is a good opportunity to dodge backwards and create space, because the last P is a Vertical Wicked Weave that tracks so you don't need to be near the enemy for it to hit.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I've been eyeing the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary collection. Saw it's releasing on Switch, which I want to support, but also want to use my Mad Catz Fight Stick. Buying it on Switch means purchasing a USB adapter as well, where I could just get it on Steam and be done.

Choices....

On Switch you can literally fight on the street.

• Options

Soul gems are used for 2 things: enchanting an existing item, and recharging an enchanted weapon that has lost some/all of its charge.

You can fill an empty soul gem 2 ways: by casting the soul trap spell on an enemy and killing it before the spell wears off, or by killing them with a weapon enchanted with soul trap. Different sizes of soul gem capture different souls. Petty souls are things like wolves, chickens, cows etc. Larger ones are more dangerous creatures like frost trolls and snow bears, all the way up to black soul gems for NPCs (including nameless vampires and bandits). Generally you won't know the quality of a soul unless you consult guides. Black soul gems are the best for enchanting anything, largest magnitudes of effect etc. but you will probably need/want to use worse gems for leveling up your enchanting skill.

The souls of things you kill will automatically go into the largest gem you have, which is annoying, because you'll have this really valuable grand soul gem and some petty rabbit will end up inside it. You can get the soul out of the gem by simply dropping it on the floor and picking it back up. If a soul is too big for anything you have you won't get it, i.e. killing a vampire while you're carrying petty soul gems.

I dunno if you want specifically to level up alchemy and enchanting or to craft better gear using them.

Gear-wise, to prevent infinite improvement, you can't make a potion that makes your alchemy better and you can't enchant gear that makes your enchanting better. However they can affect each other. So you can make a potion that boosts enchanting, drink it, make gear that boosts alchemy, wear it, make a potion that boosts enchanting (higher this time), drink it, make new gear that boosts alchemy (higher this time), wear it, etc. This still caps out relatively quickly with the best quality ingredients and soul gems.

For leveling...

The XP you earn for alchemy is based on the value of the potion created, and the highest value-boosting ingredient is the giant's toe. Giant's toe-based potions will get you a lot more alchemy XP than anything else. Of course you have to put in second or third ingredients that go along with it (blue mountain flower and glowing mushroom are some).

XP for enchanting an item is based on a number of things, but I think the most important is the specific enchantment. The best one in the game for the purposes of leveling is Banish, which dismisses summoned Daedra. The earliest that merchants will carry items with this enchantment is level 22, but it's very rare. If you don't mind cheating you can check a merchant's inventory, save the game, punch them or kill them, then reload the game, and they will have new inventory. For me I basically just made 100 iron daggers and put Banish on all of them with whatever soul gems I had to work with, and enchanting went up pretty quickly.

this is a fantastic write up, thank you!

the bolded is something I still don't understand though. There are potions (for example) for minor alchemy fortification right? Does gear somehow make it a major potion? Wouldn't I need that spell or potion first before I could use it to craft?

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Also I have no idea what the fuck is going on story wise in bayo 1.
    I get that there's the two "eyes" and the sages have one and the witches have the other but I'm not sure what they actually are. Is Bayonetta the eye or is that thing she carries on her chest the eye? And Cereza is Bayonetta's past self right? How the fuck did that happen? And the Lumen Sages, are they the same dudes as the monsters you fight? Are they literally actually angels and angels are just pricks in this universe, or are they regular monsters who just happen to be called angels?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I get that there's the two "eyes" and the sages have one and the witches have the other but I'm not sure what they actually are. Is Bayonetta the eye or is that thing she carries on her chest the eye? And Cereza is Bayonetta's past self right? How the fuck did that happen? And the Lumen Sages, are they the same dudes as the monsters you fight? Are they literally actually angels and angels are just pricks in this universe, or are they regular monsters who just happen to be called angels?
    The Eyes of the World are signature powers of Light and Dark that are passed down through each clan, Bayonetta is the current inheritor of the Eye of Darkness. Bayonetta is the eye herself, but she doesn't realize it.

Cereza is a young Bayonetta. You'll find out how that happens.

The Lumen Sages are the clan that governs the power of Light. They aren't the same as the Angels, but they do make pacts with the Angels of Paradiso, the same way that the Umbran Witches make Pacts with the Demons of Inferno.

Angels are pricks.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I am Setsuna for $20 on the eShop, worth it?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

That's okay, no one else does, either.

• Options
    edited March 2018

Bayonetta 1 spoilers through to the end of the game:
    Bayonetta initially believes that the pendant she has is the Left Eye. Balder fuels this misconception with the jewel he put on the black market. That was a ploy to lure Bayonetta to Vigrid, because she has no memory of what the Eyes actually are.

The truth is that the Eyes have no physical form. What they actually are is the power to control the fundamental forces of Darkness (Left Eye) and Light (Right Eye). The Umbra Witches and Lumen Sages are organizations created to safeguard and responsibly use these powers to protect and guide the world. And also to fight Angels and demons (respectively) to prevent either force from gaining too much power. The power of the Eyes are passed down to a worthy successor that the organaziations choose.

As the last Lumen Sage alive, Balder inherited the Right Eye of Light. Bayonetta has been safeguarding the Left Eye of Darkness in her enchanted slumber for 500 years. Balder wants the Left Eye from Bayonetta, because only with both of the Eyes can the full power of God be imparted unto Jubileus, the god of light he is attempting to revive.

Cereza is indeed Bayonetta as a child. Apparently the Witches and Sages simply have the power to travel through time if the right conditions are met, so Balder snatched her out of the past as part of his plan for Bayonetta. I think what he intended was for Bayonetta herself to alter the past by giving Cereza advice that caused Jeanne's seal on her power and memories to be incomplete, thereby retroactively restoring Bayonetta to her full power and unlocking the true power of her Eye of Darkness. Failing that, he may have intended to kill Bayonetta and just use Cereza as his vessel for the Eye.

Lumen Sages are humans. Like the Umbra Witches, they are granted enormous power by making a pact with supernatural beings, at the price of their immortal soul. The Umbra Witches gain the power of Darkness by making a pact with the Demons of Inferno. The Lumen Sages gain the power of Light by making a pact with the Angels of Paradiso (those angels are the guys you fight throughout the game.) Which means that Balder is pretty much Bayonetta's exact equal and opposite. And yes, the angels are actually angels. messengers of the Goddess of Light.

A lot of this is explained more clearly in the course of Bayonetta 2. And it tells you what Bayonetta's pendant actually is.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    the bolded is something I still don't understand though. There are potions (for example) for minor alchemy fortification right? Does gear somehow make it a major potion? Wouldn't I need that spell or potion first before I could use it to craft?

Nope, as far as I know there isn't a fortify alchemy potion. If there is, you can't make them yourself, due to how that would be a never ending exploit. Well...there is an exploit regarding that, which I won't go into (resto loop glitch).

Gear doesn't change the properties of a potion, a potion is what it is when you make it. But if you make a potion of +10% enchanting and then you put on gear that adds up to +50% alchemy and make that first potion again using the same ingredients, then you will make a potion of +15% enchanting. And you use that to enchant better alchemy gear, to make even better potions, etc.

To be able to make alchemy boosting gear, you will have to find one piece of equipment with fortify alchemy and disenchant it. It can be put on helmets, gloves, necklaces and rings, and all 4 stack together.

To make fortify enchanting potions, you need to discover ingredients that do that and mix them together. The magnitude will be improved with better alchemy skill, perks, and fortify alchemy gear. The game expects you to find these ingredients the "natural" way, by tasting them, or just mixing stuff together to see what works. If you just want a spoiler as how to make fortify enchanting:
    Some combination of the following ingredients:

Blue Butterfly Wing
    Hagraven Claw
    Snowberries
    Spriggan Sap
    Chaurus Hunter Antennae (added by Dawnguard, in rare areas)
    Ancestor Moth Wing (added by Dawnguard, in rare areas)
    Spawn Ash (added by Dragonborn, only on Solstheim)

Snowberries and Blue Butterfly Wing are the easiest.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    thank you!

you explained what a dozen websites couldn't

• Options
    I wouldn't expect stellar results from either alchemy or enchanting for a long time without a lot of grinding and perks invested in them. It will be a good while before you will be able to make things better than what is sold at shops, but at the high end you can make crazy stuff.

The last enchanting perk is nuts, double enchants on everything! Resist lightning and fortify carry weight on your boots, or whatever.