As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I didn't watch the video so I dunno, but just as a guess I'm thinking Gopher might mean that Vortex will do what MO did, just with a friendlier interface. MO was rather minimalist in that regard, which I personally liked but I think many found intimidating.

To me, Mod Organizer was only intimidating until I just got in and tried it; it's surprisingly easy to use once set up, but I guess most don't want to summit that initial learning peak, which possibly is what Vortex is going to change.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm not going to be switching to anything until there's a new Bethesda game with a blank mod slate to start from. I hated Mod Organizer, probably because of how used to NMM I was. Trying to copy over my current mod list from one environment to another would just make it even more of a nightmare.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Vortex has an "import from NMM" button, so - assuming it's bug-free! - moving to it might not be a complete nightmare.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    hey

If I want to play Oblivion, what's the definitive suite of Oblivion mods (akin to the Morrowind Overhaul Project)?

Personally, I’ll wait for the Skylivion mod, which made decent progress.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So I've dived kinda hard back into Skyrim SE after only playing through the original and went hog-wild with mods this time.

On the Dawnguard plotline, I hit the bug where when you accept the vampirism gift, after the training segment, literally everyone in the castle suddenly becomes aggressive - seems not super uncommon from googling. Got past it/back on track by doing the "open console, click on person, stop combat and set their attitude towards me higher". However, there was one person I was having trouble with because he had cast a fire spell and the cursor was hitting the cloud/particle/etc stuff from the fire blast. I got past it by disabling that after clicking it and got the person, no problem.

It occurred to me this morning that I never re-enabled the particle stuff I disabled. As near as I can tell it wasn't the blast itself, just some of the ambient stuff left in its wake. So two questions, given I've closed out that session (and had played a fair amount past it :/ ):
    • Is there a way to tell what stuff has been disabled in previous sessions via some other console command?
    • What implications, if any, does the above have for the game?

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Vortex has an "import from NMM" button, so - assuming it's bug-free! - moving to it might not be a complete nightmare.

Actually Mod Organizer let me import from NMM as well, if I recall correctly. It was a long time ago that I switched, but I distinctly remember doing that. Still, it was a lot of work to convert over and I understand why people don't want to do it, but honestly MO is such a world above NMM it's not even close.

I don't think I can bring myself to convert to Vortex until it's in a releasable state, but I suppose at some point I'll use it. I've yet to ever really get a setup for Skyrim SE going, so maybe that's what I'll attempt.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm not going to be switching to anything until there's a new Bethesda game with a blank mod slate to start from. I hated Mod Organizer, probably because of how used to NMM I was. Trying to copy over my current mod list from one environment to another would just make it even more of a nightmare.

I've been using Mod Organizer for Fallout 4 ever since NMM's pre-FO4 update that simultaneously introduced mod profiles and made them mandatory (which had a bad habit of completely breaking my installation of Skyrim). MO, of course, uses mod profiles as well (to my disdain), and that's no small part of what pressured NMM into adopting the same.

At least in FO4, MO is fairly competent, though there are certain aspects that, compared to NMM, drive me insane--being utterly obtuse with file structures in particular. The easiest way to describe it is "MO can't find the right files in the mod compressed file itself because it requires all mods use the same structure," "Recreate mod compressed file with new structure", "MO still can't find it." Website integration isn't there, but of course that's not really MO's responsibility. And a few mods simply do not work well, or at all, with mod profiles (and unlike NMM which will tolerate them, MO deeply hates manually installed mods with ESP files, at least in FO4).

I can see why some people favor MO (NMM, when set to Skryim, regularly freezes on loadup for whatever reason), but it's not without it's own issues. Some of them are inherent to how mod profiles work (which when a blessing is somewhat nice, but when it's a curse is fuck-awful), and others are inherent to the limitations of the program.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I haven't used MO with FO4, and have never had an issue with mod profiles, so don't have any experience with this: how do some mods fail to work with mod profiles?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Has anyone else been playing around with Skyrim VR now that it's out on PC? Aside from the motion sickness I've had a pretty incredible experience with it. The sense of scale is amazing. Walking into Helgen for the first time and having the guy talk about how Bleak Falls Barrow casts a shadow over it, you look up and you're just like "wow, it really does huh." Mod support is pretty great too, and getting better.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Has anyone else been playing around with Skyrim VR now that it's out on PC? Aside from the motion sickness I've had a pretty incredible experience with it. The sense of scale is amazing. Walking into Helgen for the first time and having the guy talk about how Bleak Falls Barrow casts a shadow over it, you look up and you're just like "wow, it really does huh." Mod support is pretty great too, and getting better.

I am a bit skeptical of VR. A game such as skyrim with VR features would be worth a purchase. How do the controls work?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Roe wrote: »

I am a bit skeptical of VR. A game such as skyrim with VR features would be worth a purchase. How do the controls work?

I'd say it's been adapted reasonably well. It has a good range of options for movement: standard controller walking or teleporting, smooth turning vs. snap turning, that sort of thing. Combat seems more or less 1:1 with hand movements. Melee weapons didn't feel super satisfying for the brief period I used them in the intro, but they worked. I'm doing the archery thing which is really neat with the touch controllers, and magic seems like it'd be pretty cool. Menus come up as an overlay. NPCs all make eye contact with you when you're talking, which is neat.

Generally speaking I've felt that VR games have been cool VR experiences that happen to be games, this is the first one where it's felt like I'm playing a good game that has been adapted well for VR.

That said, I could see why a full $60 price for Yet Another Skyrim Release could be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of people. You can get it for $48 on GMG right now, so that takes (some of) the sting away I guess.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    So it seems that Morrowwind (and Jade Empire) are coming to the Xbone next week.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I've been replaying Morrowind as an unarmed, unarmored orc that uses a lot of alteration with destruction as a backup. His name is Piccolo.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So I defeated the main vampire (Harkon I think his name was) and brought the Dawnguard DLC to a close .... I thought that doing that was supposed to stop random vampire attacks?

I'm playing PC Skyrim Special Edition with no mods and all DLC if it matters

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    So I defeated the main vampire (Harkon I think his name was) and brought the Dawnguard DLC to a close .... I thought that doing that was supposed to stop random vampire attacks?

Nope. They still happen.

I think they may lessen? But I think they're even still Volkihar Vampires.

Also, no mods? Gotta get those nice graphics, man! Also SkyUI, which is released.

Also, for those interested, JK's Skyrim was released for SSE a couple weeks back.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    e: Whoops, double click

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Roe wrote: »

I'd say it's been adapted reasonably well. It has a good range of options for movement: standard controller walking or teleporting, smooth turning vs. snap turning, that sort of thing. Combat seems more or less 1:1 with hand movements. Melee weapons didn't feel super satisfying for the brief period I used them in the intro, but they worked. I'm doing the archery thing which is really neat with the touch controllers, and magic seems like it'd be pretty cool. Menus come up as an overlay. NPCs all make eye contact with you when you're talking, which is neat.

Generally speaking I've felt that VR games have been cool VR experiences that happen to be games, this is the first one where it's felt like I'm playing a good game that has been adapted well for VR.

That said, I could see why a full $60 price for Yet Another Skyrim Release could be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of people. You can get it for $48 on GMG right now, so that takes (some of) the sting away I guess.

https://gfycat.com/AmpleScratchyBergerpicard

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I haven't used MO with FO4, and have never had an issue with mod profiles, so don't have any experience with this: how do some mods fail to work with mod profiles?

Aside from not all mods being installed correctly (not really MO's fault), the implementation of mod profiles sometimes doesn't work--I can't use the in-game mod organizer mod (not that big of a deal, it's not a standard thing like in Skyrim). I'm not sure why, except that you'd need to install it manually (which in turn would conflict with the mods it relies on because those are installed via profiling).

I just gave up. Maybe it works better now?

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

There's a mod that stops it. It adds an amulet into the Whiterun church that you keep equipped, but it doesn't use the normal amulet slot.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    True and there's then another mod that reenables achievements but mods are such a pain to deal with

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Half a decade late to the party. Picked up Skyrim.

Just watched my horse kick two bandits to death, and discovered stealth bow sniping.

Me likey.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »

Just watched my horse kick two bandits to death, and discovered stealth bow sniping.

Me likey.

Skyrim's pretty fun if you're not so stealthy too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpA9Y3_GsoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO12NcWQx4Y

• Options
    Stealth enhanced dwarven crossbow is all kinds of fun

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »

Me likey.

Skyrim's pretty fun if you're not so stealthy too

I started out with a focus on two-handed melee which was reinforced when I found a steel warhammer.

Then I discovered that I could spew fire from my hands and started to mix it up a bit in fights.

THEN I noticed how useful archery is and began switching between these different approaches on the fly using the Favourites shortcut, which is just brilliant.

It's a bit of a free-form switch up after finishing the Witcher 3 DLC but I'm loving it all the same.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    True and there's then another mod that reenables achievements but mods are such a pain to deal with

Eh, I wouldn't call it a pain anymore - the workshop was a piece of cake in oldrim and I've found NMM to be easy enough with SSE.

The problem with them is falling into the rabbit hole of looking for more and more things to install *glances around nervously*

• Options
    I'm going to try to live with it

I've just hit 60 enchanting and smithing, but haven't got too far on alchemy. There's some weird bug that the game will not record the recipes I've discovered which makes it a huge pain in the ass

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Has anyone gotten a recent skyui working on the special edition? I've tried with the latest beta skse but skyui refuses to start properly. Everything else seems fine

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten a recent skyui working on the special edition? I've tried with the latest beta skse but skyui refuses to start properly. Everything else seems fine

I have SkyUI 5.2 SE working, with SKSE64 2.0.7, which I believe is the latest of both. My SkyUI was downloaded Feb 11th according to Nexus. It's not 100% perfect (Wet and Cold menu doesn't work, SkyUI's menu itself appears in the Mod Configuration list twice - this only started after I had a "something is going wrong with my save and I'm freezing for 1.5 seconds every 61 seconds, roughly" thing going on and tried a BUNCH of shit to fix it, eventually succeeding with a save cleaner), but it's there. I didn't have to do anything fancy to get it to work - just follow the instructions for SKSE64 and install SkyUI like normal.

• Options
    Hmm maybe I'll clean install and start again then

• Options
    There WAS a SSE release which made it so you couldn't boot the game with SKSE64 until SKSE64 got updated, but I'm assuming that's not your problem.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    No skse is definitely running, it shows up in the pause menu, 2.0.7

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Okay yeah, I've got this installed:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12604

with no special extra methods. Admittedly it describes itself as "unsupported alpha" so I don't know. Looking at the comments, you're not the only one who's hitting that problem lately? Someone asked about it yesterday.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

It's not too hard to work around random vampire attacks. If you have autosaves on, when you fast travel into a town you can see if it's night time or if a vampire appears, if so, reload the autosave from before traveling, wait a few hours so it'll be day when you arrive, then travel again.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

It's not too hard to work around random vampire attacks. If you have autosaves on, when you fast travel into a town you can see if it's night time or if a vampire appears, if so, reload the autosave from before traveling, wait a few hours so it'll be day when you arrive, then travel again.

it's definitely a pain. I have a hard enough time offloading stuff. Hate having to go to 3 different vendors in 3 different towns to sell my junk

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Been going through the thieves guild questline on skyrim switch and I love the HD rumble lockpicking. Got a little frustrated at how tedious doing the Delvin/Vex jobs to become Guildmaster, so I started browsing mods. Just looking at a "All Thieves Guild Jobs Concurrently" mod and oh no I spent the weekend downloading Special Edition for the first time and setting up modding all over again.

• Options
    It might be because I've only used HD RUMBLE a few times om the Switch (since I don't own one), but it's really hard for me to imagine being excited by lockpicking--in Skryim, or for that matter any Bethesda RPG. It's always just been a mild obstacle that you overcome and forget about, especially since you can't actually lock doors in response (without the console or modding, anyway).

It's good to hear that it's a good implementation of it, especially if you are going to be doing it a bunch of times. I never get particularly far in the Thieve's Guild questline, I really should this time.

• Options
    the lockpicking in skyrim switch is really really REALLY nicely implemented.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    My problem is I don't like using the Switch joycons in general, so if I played it on console, it'd be with the pro controller probably (motion controlling never clicked with me).

Plus I'm addicted to modding, so even the Xbox mod support is insufficient. I think the last Bethesda RPG I played on console might've been Oblivion, and even then I moved to PC.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    According to the wiki, people you’ve done quests for will come to your wedding.

At my wedding to Farkas, the congregation contained... three people. Two of whom I never remember doing quests for.

I’m the Harbringer of the Companions, Legate of the Empire, Vanquisher of Alduin, and thane of nearly all the holds. I’m frankly insulted. Not even Vilkas showed up for his twin brother’s wedding.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    My problem is I don't like using the Switch joycons in general, so if I played it on console, it'd be with the pro controller probably (motion controlling never clicked with me).

Plus I'm addicted to modding, so even the Xbox mod support is insufficient. I think the last Bethesda RPG I played on console might've been Oblivion, and even then I moved to PC.

I use the pro controller exclusively (it has HD rumble too!)

can't help with the modding though