Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DOOMED! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I wouldn't expect stellar results from either alchemy or enchanting for a long time without a lot of grinding and perks invested in them. It will be a good while before you will be able to make things better than what is sold at shops, but at the high end you can make crazy stuff.

The last enchanting perk is nuts, double enchants on everything! Resist lightning and fortify carry weight on your boots, or whatever.

I'm just shy of 50 in alchemy but my enchanting is very lacking because I hate finding enchant stations

so I'm building one in my manor

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect stellar results from either alchemy or enchanting for a long time without a lot of grinding and perks invested in them. It will be a good while before you will be able to make things better than what is sold at shops, but at the high end you can make crazy stuff.

The last enchanting perk is nuts, double enchants on everything! Resist lightning and fortify carry weight on your boots, or whatever.

I'm just shy of 50 in alchemy but my enchanting is very lacking because I hate finding enchant stations

My main base is usually Whiterun, and there is an enchanting station in the castle by the court mage, that's the one I typically use. But it's a lot of walking back and forth. Having one in your house is great.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Guys. Bad Dudes is in the eshop coming up section.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

My main base is usually Whiterun, and there is an enchanting station in the castle by the court mage, that's the one I typically use. But it's a lot of walking back and forth. Having one in your house is great.

Yeah - some of the houses in other cities end up getting both enchantment tables and alchemy tables once you've upgraded the place.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    If you really want to go down the alchemy hole, or just abuse the hell out of it for high value potions, there are a couple of iOS apps that are worth checking out. They let you build up a list of your ingredients and see what you can make, sort by value, filter by effect, etc. I used Alchemy Guide Free for Skyrim, which is somewhat more polished than its name suggests.

It takes some of the fun of discovery from the process, but alchemy was always a side focus for me, so I appreciated cutting through the bullshit.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    NBA 2k18 is pretty great so far. Graphically it's pretty solid and there's just something magical about a full quality sports game on a handheld complete with commentary and soundtrack. I think I'll have to try the career mode thing next. My only complaints are that it took a long time to get into the first time (registering an account and seemingly forced to create a basketballman immediately) and the space it takes up. I had to archive Snake Pass to free up internal memory - the Switch really needs a "Move to SD Card" feature for games that you bought before installing a memory card.

I've put over 70 hours into it since it came out, and it is indeed amazing having a fully featured sports game like this on a handheld. They've supported the game with patches, and I'm pretty sure it's running a lot smoother now than it was a launch, which is hopefully a good sign that they will continue to put the series out on the Switch.

How is NBA2K18 in regards to monetization? I read that it's pretty hard to advance MyCareer without actually paying money.

I only ever play season/franchise modes in sports games so I don't have any personal experience with it, but from all that I've heard it is a bad time playing that mode if you aren't spending real money. I guess they must make enough money off of the microtransactions that it's worth the bad image it gives them, but pretty much every bad thing you read about the game is somebody saying the microtransactions are garbage, but the actual playing of basketball is fantastic.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Got lucky and managed to grab the new kirby game tonight after work from walmart. Made my son super happy. Haven't got a chance to play it since he's so hooked. I'll make a file for myself when he goes to bed, but so far it looks great.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I'm still seriously considering spending all my coins on Ace of Seafood. If it has video recording capability then it's a done deal.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I am Setsuna for $20 on the eShop, worth it?

If it's your first jrpg, it's ok. But it's just ok, and there are so many better experiences out there for you.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Desert Child coming to Switch

I'm very happy

• Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Hey guys ... be careful with any third party docks that you are using with your systems. It seems that the 5.0.0 update is causing problems with all brands of third party docks and bricking systems. I have a third party dock for travel purposes and now i'm afraid to even use the thing. Nintendo really needs to get on the save data backup (either cloud or encrypted local) issue.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

If it's your first jrpg, it's ok. But it's just ok, and there are so many better experiences out there for you.

Out of curiousity, like what? I've been itching for a JRPG on switch and all the ones out seem to review from bad to mediocre at best.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm still seriously considering spending all my coins on Ace of Seafood. If it has video recording capability then it's a done deal.

I picked it up

So far it's... not great

I think playing it with an actual controller in docked mode might improve the experience a lot though.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'd say Setsuna is worth 20$.

Not a whole lot more though it's really generic.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The Long Reach is pretty cool, but the text is so tiny it hurts my eyes... I suppose playing docked should help with that, but I keep buying things I could also get on PS4 and end up regretting it a little =/

Bleed and Neon Chrome are recent purchases that come to mind. The joycon sticks are pretty bad for twinstick shooters.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    Hey guys ... be careful with any third party docks that you are using with your systems. It seems that the 5.0.0 update is causing problems with all brands of third party docks and bricking systems. I have a third party dock for travel purposes and now i'm afraid to even use the thing. Nintendo really needs to get on the save data backup (either cloud or encrypted local) issue.

Still using my 3rd party dock after 5.0. I'll let you guys know if it bricks.

FYI though I'd be wary of taking the Switch subreddit on their word, they tend to get hysterical about all things and believe rumors as facts as long as they have enough upvotes .There seems to be threads all over the place there about how the 5.0 immediately bricks all Switches running through 3rd party docks on first use, and I know for a fact that's not the case seeing as I've been using it constantly for the past two days since the update. I know Spawn Wave had it happen too but for all we know that could be a coincidence. I suppose this is why I have two switches.

edit: if this truly is the end of the 3rd party dock I would advise that you buy one of those basstop dock enclosures and switch your official dock internals to it. Eventually Nintendo will release a mini dock of some kind.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Looking forward to another weekend away. Been traveling a bunch lately - more than usual - and having the Switch with me is such a treat. Historically, I've always hated having to leave my console games behind when I go out-of-state to enjoy free time, especially when I'm just getting into something new, so it's nice to be able to take my Switch games with me.

Night in the Woods and Flinthook are on the menu for this weekend.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

How bad could they be? Arent they like 40-50 years old by now?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Oh btw I noticed something slightly interesting while prepping for a possible bricking of my switch via the dock. The Hulu app does not require a Nintendo account to run, it operates on it's own account system. So technically you could run your Hulu on multiple Switches without having to system transfer profiles. Limited use, but it does have it's benefits. For example right now I'm setting up my secondary Switch to run hulu on my TV 24/7 while my primary Switch is used as a handheld gaming device.

Edit: I havent actually turned it on yet so there could be some kind of block in place preventing it for all I know, but theoretically it should work.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Throwing a lot of support behind the indie titles this time around, it seems like.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    azith28 wrote: »

How bad could they be? Arent they like 40-50 years old by now?
    MV5BMjE4NzY3MTg5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc0NzE1MTE@._V1._CR126,122,1549,2163_UY268_CR5,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Dirty on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I'd say Setsuna is worth 20$.

Not a whole lot more though it's really generic.
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It's a relatively generic, throwback JRPG. There are not really any terribly in depth systems. Nothing complicated to figure out.

I loved it, but YMMV. The above is basically what I'm looking for at this point -- I don't have a hundred hours to commit to delving into complex systems and super long stories anymore...so it scratched an itch and let me go.

That..doesn't sound like the most ringing endorsement I guess, but if it's what you're looking for it's worth the $20.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Flinthook is one of the best purchases I’ve made for the Switch so far

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Hey folks, so uh, how's Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I know the designs are kind of, uh, thirsty this time around but XBC 1 was so fucking good I put in 300+ hours across both platforms. I can definitely put up with some unnecessary character design if the gameplay and/or soundtrack and/or story holds up.

Is the world a huge sweeping vista where you leap of cliffs into the river to avoid monsters? Yggi needs her JRPG fix.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Hey folks, so uh, how's Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I know the designs are kind of, uh, thirsty this time around but XBC 1 was so fucking good I put in 300+ hours across both platforms. I can definitely put up with some unnecessary character design if the gameplay and/or soundtrack and/or story holds up.

Is the world a huge sweeping vista where you leap of cliffs into the river to avoid monsters? Yggi needs her JRPG fix.

It's pretty good in the non character design areas.

The world is still big and fun to explore.

The combat is kind of lackluster in that it is super shallow. Every battle you will do the same thing. Every regular battle and every boss fight. The same thing. The bosses will just be the same thing for longer and act as a stat check. If you don't mind that too much then you would probably have a good time with it. It's a game I'm glad I played and was certainly worth it but was still a bit disappointing.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Throwing a lot of support behind the indie titles this time around, it seems like.

This is the second indie-based direct we've gotten and the system is barely a year old.

Switch is going to be an indie gold mine. Well, maybe more of one. Platinum mine?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Nindie showcase could be a good place to reveal Shovel Knight as a guest character in Smash.

Or maybe not, because that announcement would just undercut all of the rest of the good good indie games that are showing off.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »

XC2 was my first xeno game since Xenogears on the PS1, so the gameplay was on the new side for me so its entirely possible my opinion about the issues it has are part of the franchise. The 'thirsty' designs don't bother me at all, but while I played quite a bit of the game I think it was mostly a 'just to have something to do in a dry spell' kind of play because there was quite a bit about the systems i found annoying, or just bad gameplay decisions. There is a lot to do in the game...and thats helpful because each individual 'thing' gets repetative kinda quickly on its own. I think the farming requirements in this game are higher than normal. The 'gatcha' system of obtaining blades seems to just make the farming worse. if you actually have a level called 'legendary' that is rarer and harder to get then giving you a common result is stupid.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Played through the first world of Kirby Star Allies last night. Fun times. Can’t wait to put more time into it and see more.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Nindie showcase could be a good place to reveal Shovel Knight as a guest character in Smash.

Or maybe not, because that announcement would just undercut all of the rest of the good good indie games that are showing off.

Yeah, I can't see that happening. Too soon after the first trailer, and we still haven't seen any actual gameplay yet. I actually think Shovel Knight has a decent chance of making it into Smash, but they're not gonna reveal him in that presentation.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    FYI the dock that fried Spawn Wave's Switch was a Nyko dock, no surprise there:

https://youtu.be/elOqMKln_WI

edit: and here's Nintendo Everything's report. They mention 3rd party docks in general but all their examples are for Nyko docks:

https://nintendoeverything.com/third-party-docks-seem-to-be-bricking-switch-systems-with-version-5-0-0/

So far the only thing I've found that implicates the chinese "FASTSNAIL" and "MELOPOW" docks are 2nd hand reddit posts based on rumor. Still it would be wise to proceed cautiously, especially considering the nature of the source of those docks. I would advise ceasing use of all third party docks immediately until this gets straightened out.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Yeah, I can't see that happening. Too soon after the first trailer, and we still haven't seen any actual gameplay yet. I actually think Shovel Knight has a decent chance of making it into Smash, but they're not gonna reveal him in that presentation.

Also kind of a dick move to butt in an "about indie" stream with what would surely be the hypest news from it being about a character in your superstar AAA franchise.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

Also kind of a dick move to butt in an "about indie" stream with what would surely be the hypest news from it being about a character in your superstar AAA franchise.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    FYI the dock that fried Spawn Wave's Switch was a Nyko dock, no surprise there:

https://youtu.be/elOqMKln_WI

edit: and here's Nintendo Everything's report. They mention 3rd party docks in general but all their examples are for Nyko docks:

https://nintendoeverything.com/third-party-docks-seem-to-be-bricking-switch-systems-with-version-5-0-0/

So far the only thing I've found that implicates the chinese "FASTSNAIL" and "MELOPOW" docks are 2nd hand reddit posts based on rumor. Still it would be wise to proceed cautiously, especially considering the nature of the source of those docks. I would advise ceasing use of all third party docks immediately until this gets straightened out.

How does he know it was firmware 5.0 that caused it, and not just random coincidence?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    NBA 2k18 is pretty great so far. Graphically it's pretty solid and there's just something magical about a full quality sports game on a handheld complete with commentary and soundtrack. I think I'll have to try the career mode thing next. My only complaints are that it took a long time to get into the first time (registering an account and seemingly forced to create a basketballman immediately) and the space it takes up. I had to archive Snake Pass to free up internal memory - the Switch really needs a "Move to SD Card" feature for games that you bought before installing a memory card.

I've put over 70 hours into it since it came out, and it is indeed amazing having a fully featured sports game like this on a handheld. They've supported the game with patches, and I'm pretty sure it's running a lot smoother now than it was a launch, which is hopefully a good sign that they will continue to put the series out on the Switch.

How is NBA2K18 in regards to monetization? I read that it's pretty hard to advance MyCareer without actually paying money.

I only ever play season/franchise modes in sports games so I don't have any personal experience with it, but from all that I've heard it is a bad time playing that mode if you aren't spending real money. I guess they must make enough money off of the microtransactions that it's worth the bad image it gives them, but pretty much every bad thing you read about the game is somebody saying the microtransactions are garbage, but the actual playing of basketball is fantastic.

So there are three games in NBA2k. theres the regular old basketball game, and there online my career (basketball MMO) and the standard lootbox card game.

If you just want franchise/single player career there is almost no monetization.

The MMO portion(my player online) is one of the all time worst for consumer models. Its a very long progression without boosts and most of the customization costs real money, to include individual haircuts at one point. (ie buy a for pay haircut, decide to swap back- you have to pay to swap back)

there is also the standard "sports card game" mode where you can buy card decks in random lootboxes to 'build the best team'. Every single sports game has this now and it solely exists to leech money.

TLDR - if you play single player career or franchise mode you can totally ignore the costly extras.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

I read good!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Everyone's talking Shovel Knight, and here's me thinking that Cranky Kong also can do the pogo stick bounce thing

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    the nyko dock's been frying switches before 5.0 in enough quantity that I wouldn't blame the firmware on it

don't buy the nyko dock at all

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I guess shovel knight has popularity going for it (and an amiibo, and smash has amiibos, therefore) but I would think Cave Story’s the indie that really kicked off the pixel-game resurgence and Japanese indie scene

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I have the Nyko dock and it's been fine, I don't use it with regularity though. Maybe I've just been lucky.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy