As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DOOMED! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Just seeing the words "frying" and "switch" near each other gives me anxiety.

I bought the FASTSNAIL adapter due to the advice in this thread and have used it 3-4 times with great results. Will be sad if it's done for but not going to risk bricking this thing.

As a bonus I've been using the USB-C adapter for my work laptop to get a second screen on an old monitor. Business expense!

swaylow on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Throwing a lot of support behind the indie titles this time around, it seems like.

This is the second indie-based direct we've gotten and the system is barely a year old.

Switch is going to be an indie gold mine. Well, maybe more of one. Platinum mine?

Well in Nintendo's world, gold coins are worth more than Platinum coins.
    That is to say they are both useless, with gold coins being slightly less useless and platinum used for fucking wallpapers and shit.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm excited for the Nindies update. The last one was really good.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    going shopping on amazon ALL of the 3rd party docks have people stating they had bricked switches from 3rd party docks.in reviews. It's a good 5-10% on all of them. It seems more like that 5.0 just happened to update and got bricked at the same time.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    FYI the dock that fried Spawn Wave's Switch was a Nyko dock, no surprise there:

https://youtu.be/elOqMKln_WI

edit: and here's Nintendo Everything's report. They mention 3rd party docks in general but all their examples are for Nyko docks:

https://nintendoeverything.com/third-party-docks-seem-to-be-bricking-switch-systems-with-version-5-0-0/

So far the only thing I've found that implicates the chinese "FASTSNAIL" and "MELOPOW" docks are 2nd hand reddit posts based on rumor. Still it would be wise to proceed cautiously, especially considering the nature of the source of those docks. I would advise ceasing use of all third party docks immediately until this gets straightened out.

How does he know it was firmware 5.0 that caused it, and not just random coincidence?

He doesn't, he's making a guess based on the marked uptick of reports of 3rd party docks frying the Switch since the 5.0 update. There's no definitive proof right now but it's still a good idea to stop using 3rd party docks for the time being, until everything gets sorted out.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    going shopping on amazon ALL of the 3rd party docks have people stating they had bricked switches from 3rd party docks.in reviews. It's a good 5-10% on all of them. It seems more like that 5.0 just happened to update and got bricked at the same time.

This has generally been my experience with these things.

New thing comes out -> uptick of people trying new thing -> uptick of random catastrophic error -> random catastrophic error blamed on new thing

Basically speaking, correlation does not equal causation.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Well I have my backup Switch running 5.0 connected via the melopow adapter (basically the same thing as the FASTSNAIL dock). So if the update really is bricking Switches using 3rd party adapters I'll know soon.

edit: I'm also seeing early reports of people claiming the same exact issues despite using the official dock. Just like with the other thing these are just very early reports for now.

edit2:A user emailed NL and told them that a 3rd party dock made his Switch stop working with all docks after the 5.0 update. Not only that but a commenter in the Nintendo Life articles comments section had the same issue despite using the official dock and mentioned that Nintendo told him that the update might be responsible for it:
    31redd2145 hours ago
    I had the same issue as invictus4000. After updating to 5.0 one of our switches will no longer go into TV mode, this is with the official dock. Unlike invictus4000 however Nintendo offered to do the repair for free and said the issue may have been caused by the update. I'm weary of sending it in since they can't guarantee my save data will be intact, which is beyond ridiculous by the way.

Source.

Again it's just 2 users that I've found reporting this right now with no confirmation, so grain of salt all around. Either way if this truly is a widespread issue we should be hearing from many more official dock users over the coming days.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Hey folks, so uh, how's Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I know the designs are kind of, uh, thirsty this time around but XBC 1 was so fucking good I put in 300+ hours across both platforms. I can definitely put up with some unnecessary character design if the gameplay and/or soundtrack and/or story holds up.

Is the world a huge sweeping vista where you leap of cliffs into the river to avoid monsters? Yggi needs her JRPG fix.

The soundtrack is solid... definitely in the vein of XBC1. Some of the new tunes evoke Gaur Plains or Mechonis Field, without sounding exactly the same as them.

Gameplay seems designed for handheld usage. With the way the battle system and fast travel works, it feels like the developers wanted players to complete small areas in a typical handheld sitting scenario (say, 15-45 minute chunks). So, each battle is tuned (on normal mode) to be something of an event itself, and there are fast travel locations galore. The downside of this is, as others have said, every battle plays out about the same. Even the final boss fight. And, unfortunately, there's no Monado-like system, where you need to react to certain attacks or statuses in a certain way.

The world does have sweeping vistas. It's quite remarkable, actually, how much is crammed into the world. If MonolithSoft knows anything, it's how to create a legit and majestic sense of scale. Some of the places are big. They're also pretty varied.

The story is definitely (and intentionally) Shonen. It's a lot less serious than XBC1. That's not to say that serious things don't happen. They do. It's just a lot less "We're going to fucking murder the bad guys!" than XBC1 was for the first part of its story. That said, it's definitely a Xeno game. Lots of questions about life, death, the impermanence of memories, etc. The story does have a tie to XBC1.

Due to the nature of the gameplay grind, I only just recently completed the game myself on easy mode (I was ~an hour or so from the end). If grinding isn't your thing, easy mode is a breeze. Ultimately, I think XBC1 was a better game, but 2 is definitely solid in its own right.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    XBC1 is the best, but 2 does some things better. I dunno if I can pinpoint all of it. I actually like the look of the characters a lot better, the anime style suits them. XBC1 was hindered by the power of the Wii somewhat, I wish they'd prioritized higher res textures for faces and eyes as most RPG studios have done on lower powered systems, feels like they missed the memo on that and they were sort of lacking. I like the main characters of 2 quite a bit. Might like Rex more than Shulk, I feel like he has more of a personality and back story. But I also need to replay 1 sometime.

X is worse than both of them in retrospect, but I don't hate it either. I really didn't like that there were basically 3-5 main characters, only 3 significant party members including yourself. Everything else was under-developed. Music nowhere near as good. Skells are fun but they also make the grand scale world design a waste halfway through the game. Story not as involved. But all the aliens joining the city over time and getting to re-explore it to see what changed was really cool.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I'm interested to see what's coming because I have absolutely no idea what's coming.

• Options
    XBC1 is the best, but 2 does some things better. I dunno if I can pinpoint all of it. I actually like the look of the characters a lot better, the anime style suits them. XBC1 was hindered by the power of the Wii somewhat, I wish they'd prioritized higher res textures for faces and eyes as most RPG studios have done on lower powered systems, feels like they missed the memo on that and they were sort of lacking. I like the main characters of 2 quite a bit. Might like Rex more than Shulk, I feel like he has more of a personality and back story. But I also need to replay 1 sometime.

X is worse than both of them in retrospect, but I don't hate it either. I really didn't like that there were basically 3-5 main characters, only 3 significant party members including yourself. Everything else was under-developed. Music nowhere near as good. Skells are fun but they also make the grand scale world design a waste halfway through the game. Story not as involved. But all the aliens joining the city over time and getting to re-explore it to see what changed was really cool.

I keep hoping for a Switch port of X.

I'm really curious about Monolith's next game. The art on their website looks a lot more straight ahead fantasy than their other stuff.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I'm interested to see what's coming because I have absolutely no idea what's coming.

maybe a release date for Hollow Knight... maybe.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

I just want a definitive Wargroove release date.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    I haven't played any of the previous xenoblade games but I picked up 2 to get my JRPG needs. I put about 60ish hours into the game and got maybe half way through the main story? There is a lot of side quests and things to do in the game. I don't think I can finish it though.

The two main faults I have with the game is the tedious combat, none of the battles feel unique or different from one another and feels long and boring at times.

Secondly I really don't like how you unlock blades in this game, you have some story/side quest specific blades you unlock but a majority of them are unlocked through what feels like a gacha system. Completely random with a slim chance of getting the strong unique blades, and blades get stuck assigned to a person who reveals the blade. There is an item that lets you reassign them but they are limited. Oh no your character who you want to be the tank keeps revealing healing blades, but then your next blade you revealed with your healer is a tank blade? Oh wellllll... It felt very frustrating, and left me not really enjoying revealing blades.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I would bet a lot of money on Shovel Knight being in Smash. Like, a lot. It's going to happen.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    People were really sure about him last time, too.

Sometimes I feel like Smash speculation for newcomers tends to work itself into a bit of a frenzy until the general opinion becomes "well, obviously" through the power of word-of-mouth alone. And then Sakurai gives us Duck Hunt instead. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

Enlong on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Of course the opposite tends to happen, as I remember that much of the Internet had decided during the runup to Smash 4 that Sonic was very likely to be cut for some reason.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if we got more third-party representation in general, partly because it worked well last time and partly because it's getting harder and harder to find Nintendo characters that really deserve representation.

But at the end of the day Smash is hard to predict. Sakurai be crazy, yo.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I'd still like a character from the Sin and Punishment games. Isa&Kachi would be my first pick.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Of course the opposite tends to happen, as I remember that much of the Internet had decided during the runup to Smash 4 that Sonic was very likely to be cut for some reason.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if we got more third-party representation in general, partly because it worked well last time and partly because it's getting harder and harder to find Nintendo characters that really deserve representation.

But at the end of the day Smash is hard to predict. Sakurai be crazy, yo.

It's an odd beast as there's both a drive to play on the nostalgia for some older characters but also highlight newer ones available on Nintendo platforms.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Probably too big of a coincidence to not be considered, New Oddworld game could be coming to Switch as they've teased an announcement on the same day as the Nindies presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L1a5u7gqOY

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ...dammit, I had JUST re-taught myself how to spell "odyssey."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Hm. I never did pick up New and Tastee on the Wii U. Maybe I should give it a try.

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Finally running out of space on the switch. Any recommendations on a good bang for the buck sd card?

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I would recommend taking a look at what's already there too, going to the eshop and view all and just keep scrolling down, because there are tons of games on there that I've never heard of but are immediately interesting at first glance.

Lots that gets lost in the shuffle that it seems a shame to ignore. I'll probably play Darkside Detective this weekend, it got pre-empted by Night in the Woods earlier.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I would bet a lot of money on Shovel Knight being in Smash. Like, a lot. It's going to happen.

I’ll bet $100 that he won’t be a playable character in the base game in this upcoming Smash bros game for Switch in the year of our lord 2018

In other words, dlc that drops later doesn’t count

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »

I’ll bet $100 that he won’t be a playable character in the base game in this upcoming Smash bros game for Switch in the year of our lord 2018

You will need to put on some addendums to clarify in case of odd situations. What if he is day one DLC? Already on card, or downloaded? What if a Mii costume of him is in the base game? That's how they added some other characters they didn't want to make official.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Hey folks, so uh, how's Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I know the designs are kind of, uh, thirsty this time around but XBC 1 was so fucking good I put in 300+ hours across both platforms. I can definitely put up with some unnecessary character design if the gameplay and/or soundtrack and/or story holds up.

Is the world a huge sweeping vista where you leap of cliffs into the river to avoid monsters? Yggi needs her JRPG fix.

It's pretty good in the non character design areas.

The world is still big and fun to explore.

The combat is kind of lackluster in that it is super shallow. Every battle you will do the same thing. Every regular battle and every boss fight. The same thing. The bosses will just be the same thing for longer and act as a stat check. If you don't mind that too much then you would probably have a good time with it. It's a game I'm glad I played and was certainly worth it but was still a bit disappointing.

So others have talked about their opinions on XC2, which are definitely on-the-mark. But I want to talk about the combat a little bit. I don't think the engaging aspect is the combat itself, but rather finding ways to exploit game and break it over your knee. Finding which blades work well on which characters, which aux cores to use on them, which loadout to use. That sort of thing. It's alot like Pokemon or FFV in that way.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

You will need to put on some addendums to clarify in case of odd situations. What if he is day one DLC? Already on card, or downloaded? What if a Mii costume of him is in the base game? That's how they added some other characters they didn't want to make official.

Day one dlc is acceptable - the point is just so we don’t get into a situation of waiting 4 years saying “we can’t definitively say he won’t be added”. Mii costume doesn’t count - shovel knight on the character select, you pick him, announcer calls his name out

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »

It's pretty good in the non character design areas.

The world is still big and fun to explore.

The combat is kind of lackluster in that it is super shallow. Every battle you will do the same thing. Every regular battle and every boss fight. The same thing. The bosses will just be the same thing for longer and act as a stat check. If you don't mind that too much then you would probably have a good time with it. It's a game I'm glad I played and was certainly worth it but was still a bit disappointing.

So others have talked about their opinions on XC2, which are definitely on-the-mark. But I want to talk about the combat a little bit. I don't think the engaging aspect is the combat itself, but rather finding ways to exploit game and break it over your knee. Finding which blades work well on which characters, which aux cores to use on them, which loadout to use. That sort of thing. It's alot like Pokemon or FFV in that way.

Yeah, I've played lots of games where the fights generally all ended up the same. Some entire RPGs with lots of spell options and I pretty much used "attack" the entire time. Still had fun. It can be more annoying to be thrown for a loop constantly, a game you can breeze through and suddenly a boss requires use of mechanics you barely used or knew were possible.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Maybe Terraria will be announced during that presentation.
    :rotate:

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Hey I know I asked for advice but I'll be honest I bought and started downloading Xenoblade 2 like thirty seconds after I posted, I have almost no impulse control. What what I've been reading here and elsewhere I'm probably not going to love it as much as Xenoblade Chronicles 1 but so far I'm an anime living on some kind of geriatric mossy behemoth so it's cool.

e: I'm not usually the sort to get worked up over dubs but I am not feeling this voice acting

YggiDee on
  • Options
    Hey I know I asked for advice but I'll be honest I bought and started downloading Xenoblade 2 like thirty seconds after I posted, I have almost no impulse control. What what I've been reading here and elsewhere I'm probably not going to love it as much as Xenoblade Chronicles 1 but so far I'm an anime living on some kind of geriatric mossy behemoth so it's cool.

e: I'm not usually the sort to get worked up over dubs but I am not feeling this voice acting

It can be uneven. The game was localized in the UK which doesn't have the same kind of voice acting industry the US (and obviously Japan) do so some of the actors are a lot better than others.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I'm usually down with the UK VAs, Xenoblade 1 and Dragon Quest VIII were fantastic, but Rex 8s kinda ehhh

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Rex is terrible certainly.

Nia is goddam perfect though.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Man I love the X2 VA, especially Rex and Pyra. And Nia. Heck and even Tora, who is less annoying than the prominent nopons in previous games. His voice really suits him.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Okay Rex just agreed to do a job for the Nopon Mob Chairman without knowing what it is, he's a dingus.

I hope this Bana is also involved in an international drug smuggling ring like XB1 Bana, that was the best quest line in the whole game.

I will stop liveblogging now, resume your business.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    The Japanese dub of XC2 is excellent.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    The villains are nowhere near as memorable as X1's scene chewers though.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Okay Rex just agreed to do a job for the Nopon Mob Chairman without knowing what it is, he's a dingus.

I hope this Bana is also involved in an international drug smuggling ring like XB1 Bana, that was the best quest line in the whole game.

I will stop liveblogging now, resume your business.

He's a teenager just offered a ridiculous sum of money for a job in his field. He's a dingus, but a believable one.

And you'll definitely get some payoff with Bana.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Rex’s worst VA moments are at the start of the game, IMO. The actor just can’t do screaming very well, at least not with that voice.

The rest of the main cast is solid-to-good. Like the others have said, Nia is the best.