As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I finally was able to fine a steam geyser, so I can finally mostly stop worrying about running out of water. Was also really lucky in that the heat nullifier thing was basically right next to it so I pump the water into a storage tank, and don't start pumping it out until it's way cooler. Now I have to start working on cooling down the oxygen i'm producing so I can start working on better cooling down my base.

Just started producing petroleum, which means it's plastic time!

I run my gas through insulated pipes to my electrolyzer and then to the nullifier. There is only one of those gas heat reducing machines. Otherwise it is all done by radiating heat from the pipe, which at that point I made out of more heat conductive material.

Air goes into my base at about 23c.

For my main base, I have it surrounded by abyssalite, with all the main heat generating things outside. Then 2 wheezeworts is more than enough to keep it cool. Just be careful because it can drop the temp too low, and heating it up takes a while.

My O2 comes in at about 32'C, and my average base temp is about 12'C at the moment.

And if they go outside, they have to exist through my Atmo suit + water airlock. Also makes dealing with multiple types of gasses and slimelung easier.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Preview build for the next patch has been released!

Ranching Mark 2 not only has a couple of new critters (including a fish), but also variants of the current creatures. One in particular that catches my eye is a Hatch variant that eats metal ores and poops refined metal.

Also, pipes with sensors in them for additional automation capability. I can already think of a few ways to make use of those.

Edit: I just watched the devstream and I saw that there's going to be a Puft variant that inhales clean oxygen and excretes Oxylite. This would be good for both having an oxygen reserve and taking oxygen into new areas.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    New update today, which adds a carebear sandbox mode. That's gonna be very fun for me.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    I got super lucky on my new base. The first Hatch egg that was laid was a Sage Hatch egg. Also a cool steam geyser that pumps out 2kg/sec of water and has a 44 up / 13 down activity cycle.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Is water evaporating now or something?

The water in my water-locks keep on dissapearing.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    Is water evaporating now or something?

The water in my water-locks keep on dissapearing.

Oooh, that would be a big bummer

• Options
    Only if we're not getting oxygen out of the deal, like how polluted water becomes polluted oxygen.

• Options
    This latest map has been weird with the geyser spawns. So far I have 3 steam vents, 2 water geysers, and 1 polluted water geyser.

So now I'm having a different type of water problem.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Ooooh my. We're breaking through to the surface on this next update.

On the upside, new stuff to craft like kilns and solar panels. Speaking of the latter, it was mentioned on the stream that enough shine bugs could make solar panels usable under the surface, which would be awesome and makes me want to set up a shinebug stable or two.

On the downside, the surface will receive occasional meteor showers. Fortunately there will be reinforced walls and doors we can build to protect the surface from the worst of the hits, and it looks like the meteors that hit will leave behind resources.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Last time I played, I had just finished setting up a system where I used insulated pipes to send freshly created oxygen to a cold biome, run it through a Thermo Regulator, and then pipe it back into my base. A few days later, it occurred to me how dumb my setup was. Thankfully I'll just need to yank out the regulator and replace some of the insulated pipes.

On the plus side, this will give me a chance to practice automation, since I'll probably want to cut off the supercold air at some point.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Ooooh my. We're breaking through to the surface on this next update.

On the upside, new stuff to craft like kilns and solar panels. Speaking of the latter, it was mentioned on the stream that enough shine bugs could make solar panels usable under the surface, which would be awesome and makes me want to set up a shinebug stable or two.

On the downside, the surface will receive occasional meteor showers. Fortunately there will be reinforced walls and doors we can build to protect the surface from the worst of the hits, and it looks like the meteors that hit will leave behind resources.

Biggest bummer is that automatic airlocks will now, finally need power to open faster than manual ones.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OTOH, if we can make those airlocks out of ceramic we may finally have perfectly insulated rooms.

I'll be especially happy if we can start making liquid and gas pumps out of ceramic. They did say that we'll now have pumps that can withstand higher temperatures.

• Options
    I want the powered airlocks to stop gasses from passing through if they're powered.

The current gas-proof airlock designs we have to use are cumbersome.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I want the powered airlocks to stop gasses from passing through if they're powered.

I just want them to stop letting my hatchlings out! Also, how do you guys use hatchs and the other critters? It doesn't seem like they produce enough coal to be worth it. Do you just use them for the eggs or meat? What do the different varieties of hatchs do?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options

I just want them to stop letting my hatchlings out! Also, how do you guys use hatchs and the other critters? It doesn't seem like they produce enough coal to be worth it. Do you just use them for the eggs or meat? What do the different varieties of hatchs do?

IIRC the Stone and Sage hatch convert either rock (stone) or organic (Sage) material into coal with a higher efficiency than regular hatches (One of them even does it at 100%, but I can't remember which). The last hatch is heat-free metal refinement, but it can only do it at 80% efficiency.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sage Hatches are 100%, and they'll happily gobble down any Muckroot you find.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Just grabbed this because it was on sale and it's been too long since I played some DF. Any beginner guides on setting up a basic base?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    With your starting duplicants, you definitely want one with a boost to Learning and at least one with a boost to Digging. Strength (can carry more) and Athletics (faster movement) are also important.

Try to dig towards any Oxylite (bluish tiles) you can see as it will help with starting oxygen. Bear in mind that carbon dioxide will find its way down, so making pits for it would be a good idea.

Making storage containers when possible will help keep resources from getting eaten by Hatches, though you will want to feed them eventually because the coal they crap can be used to generate power.

A really big one, the area around the printing pod emits light, which is required for Bristle Berries. Experiment a bit with placement and you might be able to grow about 15 around the pod.

• Options
    Try to dig towards any Oxylite (bluish tiles) you can see as it will help with starting oxygen. Bear in mind that carbon dioxide will find its way down, so making pits for it would be a good idea.

Toward... But don't actually dig it out. It only emits oxygen when it's "in situ" as it were.

• Options
    Bear in mind that carbon dioxide will find its way down, so making pits for it would be a good idea.

Carbon skimmers are also really effective, so you can easily get away with creating a large pit, letting it fill to the brim, and then scrubbing it all away. You won't even need to spend much water on it.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    jothki wrote: »
    Bear in mind that carbon dioxide will find its way down, so making pits for it would be a good idea.

Carbon skimmers are also really effective, so you can easily get away with creating a large pit, letting it fill to the brim, and then scrubbing it all away. You won't even need to spend much water on it.

You can even set up a water filter next to the scrubber and create a loop.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    Another atmosphere-related piece of advice that I have is to exploit the fact that gas pockets start at a quarter of the pressure of a normal oxygen atmosphere. If you introduce an oxygen source, everything that was there will just get shoved aside, leaving large pockets of breathable air. You may not even need an oxygen generator, since if you leave an opening to an already pressurized area (and don't have the opening at a level where the current gas would compress to), most of the air flow will be oxygen outwards.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Yilias wrote: »
    Just grabbed this because it was on sale and it's been too long since I played some DF. Any beginner guides on setting up a basic base?

FIrst cycle, you ideally want to end it with access to water, a bathroom (in its own corner, i.e. noone ever has to walk through it) some beds, and start mining for copper.

Second cycle, you want to set up power for a research station and your first algae Deoxydizer, and start researching basic farming. Set the starting dupe with the highest Learning skill and/or Research trait to high priority for the task in the priority menu, and then set it so that other dupes (including new ones) will *never* do it, or at least do it only when there is nothing else (until/unless you get a dupe that is potentially and even greater researcher).

Once that's done, you want to build planting pots and start growing mealwood for when all the nutrient bars and muckroot run out. You will also want to set aside an area where you can dump the Polluted water and dirt from the toliets and washing stations.

After that there are a few general rules of thumb:

1. Always be researching. If your researcher is doing something other than researching or fulfilling their needs, they are wasting time.

2. Always be digging. For most, first way you want to dig is down, to where oil is (advanced tip; Oil pockets are normally highly pressurized and will likely flood the immediate area and then some if you aren't careful) then dig for Cold Biomes, where you can find Wheezwort and *spoiler* for heat deletion. When the preview update goes live, you'll probably want to dig up for the surface as well.

3. Always keep heat in mind. You are on a asteroid, so that heat is eventually going to build up to the point where it will cause problems, which is often the point where it's too late to do anything about it. Food is the big one, as most plants have very strict temperature bands where they will actually grow, but things like making sure your Smelter doesn't overheat (and get damaged) with each use and the Plastic from the Polymer press doesn't instantly melt are legitimate concerns as well.

4. (Almost) nothing last forever. Eventually, you're going to run out things that make your starting base work, like algae and water you don't have to clean or cool. Deoxydizers and Mealwood are not permanent solutions, eventually you will need to transfer to something else that is more sustainable.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    3. Always keep heat in mind. You are on a asteroid, so that heat is eventually going to build up to the point where it will cause problems, which is often the point where it's too late to do anything about it. Food is the big one, as most plants have very strict temperature bands where they will actually grow, but things like making sure your Smelter doesn't overheat (and get damaged) with each use and the Plastic from the Polymer press doesn't instantly melt are legitimate concerns as well.

One thing that's fairly important to do is isolating heat sources from the rest of your base. Put all of your heat-generating stuff in an isolated section of your base, behind airlocks so airflow is minimized. This won't last you forever, but it should buy you plenty of time to get an air conditioning system set up.

Also, be sure to use airlocks to seal off any passageways that lead to hot biomes. You really don't want that temperature flowing into your base.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    So, some pretty significant changes to power and agriculture in the latest update to the Preview patch.

-Compost piles now only make dirt, not Fertilizer.
    -Sleet wheat takes dirt rather than Fertilizer to grow.
    -Fertilizer Synthesizer generate only a tiny fraction of the nat. gas they used to (a mere 10g/sec), and now take regular shipments of dirt + phosphorite as well.
    -Petroleum generators take less Petro than before.
    -Nat. Gas Generators make more waste heat than before.

...so building tons of Synthesizers will no longer be enough to power nat. gas generators during dormant periods, but you will still want several because its the only way to make Fertilizer for farm stations. Also means Greckos are useful beyond just reed fiber/plastic because they poop phosphorite.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I wonder if a PW -> Sieve -> repollution loop is still efficient enough to be worth it.

Also, reducing the cost of bunker doors and tiles should help with setting up anti-meteor defenses. That and boosting solar panel output sounds like nice buffs.

• Options
    I wonder if a PW -> Sieve -> repollution loop is still efficient enough to be worth it.

Also, reducing the cost of bunker doors and tiles should help with setting up anti-meteor defenses. That and boosting solar panel output sounds like nice buffs.

Well, seeds can now be compostable too (though you have to manually tag them for such) egg shells as well, but they're much more valuable for lime to make steel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't know why they made egg shells compostable when they're far too valuable to get rid of.

I do like that we can get rid of excess seeds, but I would've preferred that we could feed them to sage hatches instead. Maybe a little bonus if they pooped something different from a seed meal.

• Options
    Cosmic Update is now live! And we have a new short to go with it.

https://youtu.be/fUcNYtDOGe8

• Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    So, some pretty significant changes to power and agriculture in the latest update to the Preview patch.

-Compost piles now only make dirt, not Fertilizer.
    -Sleet wheat takes dirt rather than Fertilizer to grow.
    -Fertilizer Synthesizer generate only a tiny fraction of the nat. gas they used to (a mere 10g/sec), and now take regular shipments of dirt + phosphorite as well.
    -Petroleum generators take less Petro than before.
    -Nat. Gas Generators make more waste heat than before.

...so building tons of Synthesizers will no longer be enough to power nat. gas generators during dormant periods, but you will still want several because its the only way to make Fertilizer for farm stations. Also means Greckos are useful beyond just reed fiber/plastic because they poop phosphorite.

Oof, that Nat. gas change is going to ruin my current map.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Fortunately natural gas geyser output has been buffed.

Also, we can now build backwalls on the surface to make interior rooms, preventing gasses and liquids from disappearing.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    Do tempshift plates function as backwalls, or are they a different layer entirely?

• Options
    Fortunately natural gas geyser output has been buffed.

Also, we can now build backwalls on the surface to make interior rooms, preventing gasses and liquids from disappearing.

I don't think there's a Nat. Gas geyser on my current map, or it's still in the unexplored area. Makes them a lot more valuable now.

What do you mean by backwalls? How would that work?

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    It's like tempshift plates but just act like a regular background. Also, I've been hearing that tempshift plates do indeed prevent liquid and gas loss.

• Options
    Not sure by what you mean by "prevent liquid and gas loss"

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Not sure by what you mean by "prevent liquid and gas loss"

Tiles above the surface will normally drain liquids and gasses into the void. Building a backwall stops this.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm a little bit lost after this Fertilizer Maker nerf.

The other power generation methods take to long to get running, and Coal power just isn't cutting it until then.

Also presents me now with something of a polluted water problem.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the new update. It is consolidating the dupes expectations I to a quality of life score. Which seems more common sense to manage.

They are also adding a map which is circular like an asteroid.
    I'm a little bit lost after this Fertilizer Maker nerf.

The other power generation methods take to long to get running, and Coal power just isn't cutting it until then.

Also presents me now with something of a polluted water problem.

Heating up oil, like exposing it to lava, will create a significant volume of natural gas.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    WTF, soil is only available in the first biome?

• Options
    Fortunately, you can create more by making polluted dirt through water sieves, then sticking that polluted dirt in a compost. Once you get to the surface, filtration medium for the sieves becomes 100% renewable thanks to the comets.