As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I've been rooting for Australia/Yeah Nah, just because it seems like they're the only team with a female member
    but they've lost both their matches so far

wandering on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Yoooo my German bois BackSquids are in the finals! That was a really intense final Tower Control match.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    It's amazing seeing how fast they move with blasters and how they are so good with inkjets. I basically become a free target whenever I try to inkjet.

• Options
    Octo Expansion launches..tomorrow / the day after tomorrow, depending your region.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Octo Expansion launches..tomorrow / the day after tomorrow, depending your region.

?!

Whaaaaa?!

Awesome!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Oh hype

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Man, the Clam Blitz match during the finals... holy hell, that was nuts.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    They're showing off Octo Expansion gameplay on the E3 treehouse stream now.

...and I'm probably going to stop watching because it seems like they are just straight going through the campaign cutscenes and all. Don't want to spoil myself before playing.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Haven't watched too much on it. Is the expansion just more SP stuff? If so, I'm on board with that.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    anoffday wrote: »
    Haven't watched too much on it. Is the expansion just more SP stuff? If so, I'm on board with that.

Apparently it has 80 missions for Agent 8. So you're in luck!

edit- And I guess when you beat it you get to play as an Octoling for multi.

Axen on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So I guess the Octo Expansion is out now? I’m not home right now to check

https://gonintendo.com/stories/311286-splatoon-2-ver-3-1-0-and-octo-expansion-now-available-full-pa

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Full patch notes in text form.
    Version 3.1.0
    Changes Related to DLC
    Added support for the DLC Pack, “Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion.” Players who have pre-purchased this content can play it by updating the DLC and software.
    For the DLC update, please follow the instructions displayed on the screen once you have updated the software.

Changes to Multiplayer

Specifications for some of the main weapons have been changed:
    Dark Tetra Dualies: Decreased ink consumption from performing a dodge roll by roughly 25%.
    Undercover Brella and Undercover Sorella Brella: Expanded the area covered by ink after shots hit a surface.
    Blaster, Custom Blaster, Hero Blaster Replica: Decreased damage radius of exploding shots by roughly 6%.

Specifications for points required for some specials have been changed. Click here for details
    .52 Gal 180 >170
    Krak-On Splat Roller 180 >170
    Enperry Splat Dualies 180 >190
    Dapple Dualies Nouveau 170 >180

Fixed an issue causing shots from a Sloshing Machine or Sloshing Machine Neo to appear to cover stage obstacles with the opponent’s ink color when they hit it directly after being fired from a certain angle.
    Fixed an issue causing opponents standing behind the launched umbrella portion of a Splat Brella or Sorella Brella to be difficult to see under the effects of Thermal Ink, a Sting Ray, or Haunt.
    Fixed an issue allowing players to dodge roll through the launched umbrella portion of a brella when approaching from a specific angle.
    Fixed an issue causing players Super Jumping to an ally who had entered an Inkrail after using an Inkjet to Super Jump to the beginning of the Inkrail.
    Fixed an issue causing missiles fired from a Tenta Missles special to explode if they touched an opponent’s Splash Wall or brella immediately after being launched.
    Fixed an issue causing the Super Jump sound effect to be delayed when performing a Super Jump while attacking with certain weapons with multiple Quick Super Jump gear abilities equipped.
    Fixed an issue in Starfish Mainstage preventing bombs thrown onto the sloped walkways on the sides of the stage from being inked when hit.
    Fixed an issue in Humpback Pump Track causing bombs and players to clip into stage features in the middle of the stage.
    Fixed an issue in Sturgeon Shipyard causing players Super Jumping to an ally standing on the edge of the area covered by the drawbridge to fall off the stage depending on the timing of their jump.
    Fixed an issue in Manta Maria causing players to be treated as if they’d fallen off-screen after performing a dodge roll on top of certain walls.
    Fixed an issue in Walleye Warehouse causing the aiming reticle to mistakenly indicate that a shot would hit when aiming at an opponent in squid form with a charger while they are near a spawn point, concealed by a stage feature, and in a higher position than you.
    Fixed an issue in Piranha Pit causing players moving across certain sloped surfaces to suffer a slight drag on their movement.
    Fixed an issue in Piranha Pit causing bombs thrown or brellas launched onto certain surfaces to disappear.
    Fixed an issue in Piranha Pit during modes other than Rainmaker, allowing players in the lower portion of the stage’s outer areas to clip into stage features.
    Reduced the space between certain crates and stage terrain in Piranha Pit during Turf War, Splat Zones, and Clam Blitz matches.
    Fixed an issue in Piranha Pit during Tower Control matches causing Splash Walls that bounce off the tower when thrown and then land on a conveyor belt to continue moving as if on the tower.
    Fixed an issue in Camp Triggerfish allowing players to jump over areas they were not intended to.
    Fixed an issue in Camp Triggerfish causing players to mistakenly encounter an impassable barrier when climbing certain walls in squid form.
    Fixed an issue in Camp Triggerfish allowing players in squid form to enter into the lower portion of hand rails that certain weapon fire will not pass through.

Changes to Salmon Run
    Fixed an issue preventing shots that move at high speed, such as a fully-charged charger shot from dealing damage after hitting their target directly.
    Fixed an issue causing Power Eggs picked up after Wave 3 ends, but prior to returning to the ship to not be added to the Power Egg count of the player who picked them up, even though they were accounted for in the team’s total Power Egg count.
    Fixed an issue causing a single player to be carrying two Golden Eggs at the same time when multiple players pick up multiple Golden Eggs simultaneously.
    Fixed an issue in Marooner’s Bay rarely causing players to clip into the ship.

Changes to Single Player Campaign
    Fixed an issue when fighting the boss of Slimeskin Garrison with a weapon other than the Hero Charger causing unintended gibs to appear when defeating enemies.

Other Changes
    Fixed an issue causing the game to shut down when using an amiibo to change equipment on the Equip screen.
    Fixed an issue in Ranked Battle causing weapons not to glow at the start of matches after losing a match while playing with less than a full team due to issues like connection errors.
    Fixed an issue occurring in certain stages when taking pictures with an amiibo causing the player’s character to float above the ground.
    Fixed an issue in The Reef when taking pictures with the Inkling Squid amiibo causing the player character not to be looking directly at the amiibo.
    Fixed an issue in Squid Beatz 2 causing the position of the green button prompt to appear slightly lower than intended when a green “press any button” prompt and a pink “press left and right at the same time” prompt occurred simultaneously.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    OMG, these Octo levels do not fuck around.

They’re all tests of varying types and not straight up “kill everything and get to the goal” like the vanilla missions. They’re really fun, but wowzers I foresee a lot of yelling at my TV in the near future.

Presentation is fucking aces too!

Edit- oh hey turns out if you really, really suck at these tests you can just pay to pass em! But you don’t get the doodads from the mission.

Edit 2- I’m loosing my god damn mind! I’m laughing so fucking hard over how much I suck at this, which makes me suck more, which causes me to laugh.

Axen on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I love Telephone.

• Options
    I didn't watch any of the Octo Expansion stuff during Treehouse so I'll mostly be going in fresh (heh).

It's all downloaded and ready, gonna start after today's Treehouse stream.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Jesus this is tough. I found a shortcut to Line B that involved sniping, and... I just can't seem to get the range going and I keep inadvertently shooting things.

then at the car-wash, I can't make the second jump due to momentum. I'm rusty as FUCK.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    I may or may not have put around 200 hours into dualies. I am paying *dearly* for neglecting other weapons

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Heh, apparently if you run out of credits in Octo, Pearl floats you a loan from her dad.

(And you have to pay the debt back.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Without spoiling anything you get to learn some weird and interesting things about Pearl and Marina.

It's great.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Thus far i've been resisting using help to "clear" levels, but...after clearing out the A Line, i cannot get past any of the remaining open levels. High-speed target shooting? Yeah, um...that was one of the things i hated most already. There's that dodge for 50sec(?) one...i think i might be able to clear that one with some practice, at least.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I think it's awesome that this expansion is apparently no cake walk. Looking forward to eventually jumping into it once I clear a bit off the backlog.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    I think it's awesome that this expansion is apparently no cake walk. Looking forward to eventually jumping into it once I clear a bit off the backlog.

Definitely not a cake walk. If you're up for a challenge, it ramps up pretty quick (at least when i look at my own paltry skills). That said, the evening after it dropped, i was already seeing a couple of Octo players wandering around in the hub, so some folks have pushed and cleared out everything already.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

Definitely not a cake walk. If you're up for a challenge, it ramps up pretty quick (at least when i look at my own paltry skills). That said, the evening after it dropped, i was already seeing a couple of Octo players wandering around in the hub, so some folks have pushed and cleared out everything already.
    if you fail a level twice you can just skip it. You can get all four thangs this way so people probably got pissed at the first 8-Ball stage and failed their way to Octolings.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »

if you fail a level twice you can just skip it. You can get all four thangs this way so people probably got pissed at the first 8-Ball stage and failed their way to Octolings.

On the one hand, I like the idea of a mercy option for people who just can't hack it (I think it was Soul Calibur II that would give you any of the 'skill' unlocks after a large number of attempts?), on the other hand that sounds a little too forgiving? This is coming from a no-talent filthy casual who might well need those mercy options, mind you.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Nintendo's moved to having backup options for a while now on games that are aimed at a wide audience. I assume you get the credits for skipping, but they don't really cover the twice failure cost, so maybe that isn't viable?

I dunno. I just.. ugh. I wish I was better at motion control aiming, because moving, shooting, and jumping seems beyond me at the moment.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    You don't get the doodad (Mem Cakes) from the level if you pay to skip.

Which some people will be fine with and the more completionist will forever be haunted by. At least until you go back and clear it for real.

If you collect a set of Mem Cakes you get a clothing reward that you can use once you reach Inkopolis.

• Options

The 8Ball Challenges.... so i play the Jside version, which means i take an hour to parse whatever text shows up (there's no English language option here). This is usually not a problem if it's just in convo, and it'll wait for me to prompt it to the next bit. In-stage dialogue, though, is usually off the screen way faster than i can figure it out. i blew so many tries before it clicked that i had to shepherd the 8Ball.

On that note, the conceit where, if you fail the challenge, your backpack blows up and kills you...that's really kind of dark, and it freaked me the heck out the first time i saw it. i'm only following the barebones of the story at the moment...something something experiment, something something all the deep water folks want to get to the surface (where, one hopes, the pressure differential won't make them all pop like balloons). All i know is, after many, many failures of various challenges, i'm growing to loathe the sea-slug conductor.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    The whole background lore of Splatoon is fairly dark. Octo expansion is a bit more overt about it.

The Iknlings's world is probably fucked. Humans were wiped out by rising sea levels and it seems history is repeating itself as they're rising again. Despite having evolved from aquatic life most creatures in Splatoon can't survive in the sea anymore.

There is a bunch of other stuff that is equally messed up or dark.

• Options
    Oh, definitely. i'm familiar with Splatoon 1 and 2's backstories...and they're definitely not sunshine and roses. It's just the helplessness of watching the backpack swell up in preparation to splat you...it's pretty shuddertastic, personally.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    Wait, so essentially I could work and beat all of the levels and someone else could skip through them all and still earn the exact same rewards as I do? Hopefully I'm misunderstanding this, because that's some next level everyone wins, no losers, participation awards bs.

• Options
    Wait, so essentially I could work and beat all of the levels and someone else could skip through them all and still earn the exact same rewards as I do? Hopefully I'm misunderstanding this, because that's some next level everyone wins, no losers, participation awards bs.

Not exactly.

They can get through it all and get to Inkopolis and thus be able to use an Octoling in multi. However you won't get all the fashionable rewards that way.

You can only unlock the clothing stuff by actually beating the levels yourself.

So it is kind of a win/win. Those who just want to get through it can and those that want to earn something for beating the challenges themselves get something for their efforts.

• Options
    So how about that final level, huh?

How about that
    bonus boss?

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    So how about that final level, huh?

How about that
    bonus boss?

That was a hell of a thing.
    TURF WAR: SAVE THE WORLD

HELL YES LET'S GO

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

Not exactly.

They can get through it all and get to Inkopolis and thus be able to use an Octoling in multi. However you won't get all the fashionable rewards that way.

You can only unlock the clothing stuff by actually beating the levels yourself.

So it is kind of a win/win. Those who just want to get through it can and those that want to earn something for beating the challenges themselves get something for their efforts.

Yeah, what i've played so far is brutal enough i think a lot of players (myself included, maybe) will end up getting locked out in the end. To send them home with nothing would be...perhaps, overly-punishing. Allowing the character skins to unlock, while keeping the clothing for the "holy shite, you actually did it" tier of folks seems a happy compromise. i can already hear my 9yr old nephew crying over some of these challenges.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Without spoiling , how would you say the end boss stuff compares to 1 and 2. I thought splatoon 1 had a way better end boss then 2, was curious if the DLC would change my mind.

• Options
    Without spoiling , how would you say the end boss stuff compares to 1 and 2. I thought splatoon 1 had a way better end boss then 2, was curious if the DLC would change my mind.

Octo expansion final sequence blows Splatoon 1's Final out of the water. In my opinion. Which is hard to do, because Agent 3 vs DJ Octavio was awesome.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2018
    Oh, definitely. i'm familiar with Splatoon 1 and 2's backstories...and they're definitely not sunshine and roses. It's just the helplessness of watching the backpack swell up in preparation to splat you...it's pretty shuddertastic, personally.
    The whole Octo Expansion story is pretty fucked up towards the end.

For those not interested in the expansion (massive spoilers to say the least)
    The whole metro system is a test to get to the surface...except it's actually a trap. An AI is disgusted with Inkling and Octoling alike, and devised to the test to get the best candidates...for their DNA. When you "pass" the test, you trap yourself in a huge blender and gets pulped up for the AI's dream species. Oh, and his plan is to wipe out all life on Earth before allowing his new Ultimate Species to take over. He has done to this over ten thousand individuals before Agent 8 came along.

The kicker? He was built by humans; probably the same one who owned Judd. (although to be fair global genocide was absolutely not part of the AI's original purpose)

And this doesn't cover shit like people who fail the fake test, as they're basically forced to spend the rest of their lives down there. Iso Padre has been down there so long he's literally forgotten his prior life.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The whole Octo Expansion story is pretty fucked up towards the end.

For those not interested in the expansion (massive spoilers to say the least)
    The whole metro system is a test to get to the surface...except it's actually a trap. An AI is disgusted with Inkling and Octoling alike, and devised to the test to get the best candidates...for their DNA. When you "pass" the test, you trap yourself in a huge blender and gets pulped up for the AI's dream species. Oh, and his plan is to wipe out all life on Earth before allowing his new Ultimate Species to take over. He has done to this over ten thousand individuals before Agent 8 came along.

The kicker? He was built by humans; probably the same one who owned Judd. (although to be fair global genocide was absolutely not part of the AI's original purpose)

And this doesn't cover shit like people who fail the fake test, as they're basically forced to spend the rest of their lives down there. Iso Padre has been down there so long he's literally forgotten his prior life.
    I don't think it's being down there for a long time that makes you forget, or even failing the test. Agent 8 forgot before even meeting Tarter. I think it's the location itself that makes you forget, but passing tests can get you Mem Cakes, which can restore some of your memories.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

On the other hand, if you get the Octo Expansion because you just want to play as an Octoling in your casual Turf War matches, it would be kind of unfair if you'd be forced to beat a bunch of high-skill challenges first.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Oh man I am going to have to chip away at these Octo levels day by day.

What do you want from me Nintendo?! I am but a man made of flesh and bone!