As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    The SE is a solid phone. If I hadn’t grown accustomed to the slightly larger screen on the 6 I’d make the jump. Thing just feels better than the pseudo-phablets for one hand use.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Anyone have a good comparison / opinions on the new low end iPad that has pencil support vs getting a refurbished iPad pro?

I'm pretty much just going to use it for procreate and reading.

I bought a Pro + Pencil a few months ago for the same reasons as you and I freaking love it. It really feels amazing to draw and paint with. I'm of course using Procreate but also Concepts is really nice too.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Hey there Apple thread. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on an iPad. I found a 2017 refurb 128GB on Apple's website for $309, which seems like a hell of a deal. Everything I've seen online is that the 2018 is just an incremental increase over the 2017 and for what I plan on using it for (movies/games while traveling or on the couch) that seems like more than enough. What say you all?

I've been an Android guy forever, but the total of my Android purchases is only about $20 so switching ecosystems for games and such isn't a big deal. I'll obviously get a case and probably a screen protector, but is AppleCare worth it? And does anyone have suggestions on cases?

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    Hey there Apple thread. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on an iPad. I found a 2017 refurb 128GB on Apple's website for $309, which seems like a hell of a deal. Everything I've seen online is that the 2018 is just an incremental increase over the 2017 and for what I plan on using it for (movies/games while traveling or on the couch) that seems like more than enough. What say you all?

I've been an Android guy forever, but the total of my Android purchases is only about $20 so switching ecosystems for games and such isn't a big deal. I'll obviously get a case and probably a screen protector, but is AppleCare worth it? And does anyone have suggestions on cases?

I think the big thing that the 2018 model adds is Pencil support, so if you pick up an Apple Pencil, you'll be able to draw on it.

AppleCare is worth it if you think you're at risk for breaking the screen. It gets you two or three cheap repairs for accidental damage.

For cases, I like the Apple smart cover. It protects the screen, works as an on/off switch, serves as a pretty decent tabletop stand, is simple to remove, and doesn't add much bulk. That being said, it doesn't really protect the back of an iPad at all. The back of an iPad is the usual Apple aluminum, and can be scratched and/or dented.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I use a smart cover that’s pretty much always attached, and then when I’m not using the iPad I put it in a padded cover for protection. Can’t tell you the brand though, it was on clearance at Best Buy for like $10 and it’s just solid black with no markings. Plus it has a pocket with room for charger and cable and other accessories.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    So, my girlfriend dropped her 6s today. I feel comfortable enough replacing it, but anyone have any recommendations on repair kits?

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    So, my girlfriend dropped her 6s today. I feel comfortable enough replacing it, but anyone have any recommendations on repair kits?

This is probably too late, but for future searchers:

Some ebay screen kits will come with a pentalobe and a somewhere in the range of a ph00/000 or j00/000. Any of those will be fine, you don't need anything fancy.

The 6s is super repairable, there are only a couple things to point out that may or may not be immediately obvious from the ifixit guide, (which you should follow. Not a youtube video or something else)

First, just hairdryer around the outside edges after you unscrew the pentalobes but before you try to open it. That will soften the adhesive enough to get it open.

Make SURE you are keeping track of what screw goes where, rather than just tossing them in a baby-food cup or a ziplock bag or something. Some of the screws are only micrometers different, which makes it really hard to eyeball, and putting the wrong one back can cause what the industry calls "Long Screw Damage" and turn your easily repairable phone into something not worth repairing. This is a very serious warning, and the biggest danger in self-repairs, but if you just keep track it is easy to avoid. PM me if you want and I can send you a screw map for keeping track of which goes where that you can just print off and set the screws on top of as you go.

If you are getting just a screen, and not a "full assembly" you will be taking the earpiece speaker and the front camera off. Be very careful taking the front camera off. We aren't worried about the front camera here, what we are worried about is the proximity sensor, which is right next to it. It is pressed into a very tight bracket, and there is some adhesive as well. A little bit of heat here again is probably a good idea (Heat from the front of the screen, not from the cable side) and then just gently wiggle it out a little bit at a time. It is easy to tear the sensor off of the cable, and then your screen will no longer shut off when you put it up to your face for a phone call. You might think that isn't a big deal, but it will drive you crazy.

If you got a "full assembly" it may or may not have a home button pre-installed. If it does you will want to take that off and transfer over the home button from the old screen.

Which means that no matter what you got, you should be transferring your home button. When you do, be careful as the cable is very thin and can tear like paper. The cable is also stickered to the screen underneath the little chip looking part (you'll know what I mean when you get to this point). You will want to use something to slide between the screen and the cable to cut the adhesive, as just trying to pull it off will tear it. If you look closely you will see a small hole in the cable that is placed around a peg in the screen. This is where you want to start with whatever you are using to separate them, as there aren't any wires running through that loop, and the getting your thing under it is the most dangerous part.

Other than that, it is pretty straight forward.

This was not intended to scare you off, just give you a little bit more info going in. It really is a straightforward repair, but those are the sticking points most people either screw up, get wrong, or give up on.

Good luck!

Xaviar on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I bought one of the cheap line iPads the other day, because I've started reading PDF books a lot. It's a much better experience than my phone, that's for sure! I don't know how much I'll use it, but you can't beat that price.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    yeah, the 2017 models are going to have almost no difference from the 2018 ones for stuff like that.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    This seems like a dumb question.

Is it possible to set up an ipad/thumbprint and not set up a passcode and then get locked out because it needs a passcode to re-enable the thumbprint access?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think it always asks for a passcode in order to enable biometric in the first place.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    omg I remembered it whew.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Something that is annoying about the iFruit ecosystem.

I migrated a lot of books onto a MacBook. They synced with iCloud and I see most of them on my iPad (not all, which is annoying too). The most annoying thing is that none of them are sync'ing with my iPhone. It appears this is on purpose? I looked for every type of option. I even tried to 'sync' via iTunes but that appears to be a one-way process onto the MacBook with no way to assign a book onto the iPhone.

This is annoying because there will be times I want to read, but I don't want to pull the iPad out, so I'll read on my phone.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I migrated a lot of books onto a MacBook. They synced with iCloud and I see most of them on my iPad (not all, which is annoying too). The most annoying thing is that none of them are sync'ing with my iPhone. It appears this is on purpose? I looked for every type of option. I even tried to 'sync' via iTunes but that appears to be a one-way process onto the MacBook with no way to assign a book onto the iPhone.

This is annoying because there will be times I want to read, but I don't want to pull the iPad out, so I'll read on my phone.

I feel like a dick just for asking this but you didn't mention it so I have to -- did you make sure Sync Collections is turned on in Settings - iBooks on your phone?

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

I feel like a dick just for asking this but you didn't mention it so I have to -- did you make sure Sync Collections is turned on in Settings - iBooks on your phone?

No worries. Yeah, the Sync Collections is turned on. That's part of what makes it so mysterious to me.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I can say that I have absolutely been able to load books (pdfs) onto a Mac, as well as download/buy books from iBooks, then have them show up on a phone + whatever, so... It is a doable thing, and there's probably some button or setting that I set long ago, and perhaps is not on by default.

Do you also have to turn iBooks on in the phone's iCloud settings for it to work? Mine's "on", but tbh I have no idea how that interacts w/ sync collections. There's also "automatic downloads" but I wouldn't think that'd make them not even show up.

dporowski on
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    I can say that I have absolutely been able to load books (pdfs) onto a Mac, as well as download/buy books from iBooks, then have them show up on a phone + whatever, so... It is a doable thing, and there's probably some button or setting that I set long ago, and perhaps is not on by default.

Do you also have to turn iBooks on in the phone's iCloud settings for it to work? Mine's "on", but tbh I have no idea how that interacts w/ sync collections. There's also "automatic downloads" but I wouldn't think that'd make them not even show up.

This was the problem.

As far as I can guess, the "Synchronize Collections" option within the iBooks entry is for synchronizing bookmarks, and other metadata between the devices, but not actually sharing the books between devices. In order to share the books between devices, the iCloud option needed to be enabled.

I guess I had initially disabled it when I was still learning the phones interface (it was the first damn pop-up when opening the app, and I really dislike it when things like that pop up with very little background as to what they do).

Of course the option to enable iCloud for the iBooks wasn't in the iBooks settings page where it should naturally be for users that might not be fully aware. Instead it was buried in a non-intuitive the accounts->iCloud settings menu. This is poor design.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Anyone use custom keyboards on their iPhone? I like Swype, but it's soooooo buggy that I really don't want to deal with it anymore. Any other suggestions?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I've been using Swiftkey since Microsoft killed off Word Flow Keyboard. It's mostly OK

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I’ve used SwiftKey and Gboard and loved them. Then after months of use little things would bug me so much I switched back to stock iOS keyboard. Things like auto predict or having problems constantly hitting the wrong key so it would think I’m trying a different word. Which brings up a question about finger tips. I’ve noticed that my right thumb tends to press to the right. Anyone notice this and have a way to fix it?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I’ve used SwiftKey and Gboard and loved them. Then after months of use little things would bug me so much I switched back to stock iOS keyboard. Things like auto predict or having problems constantly hitting the wrong key so it would think I’m trying a different word. Which brings up a question about finger tips. I’ve noticed that my right thumb tends to press to the right. Anyone notice this and have a way to fix it?

Get a new thumb?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Anyone know if someone has even tried an eye-tracking keyboard at all?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So I know Apple usually does their hardware refreshes in September/October but... is there any reason to hold off on getting one of the regular 9.7inch iPads? My Nexus 9 is breathing its last these days (can't multi-task, websites take up to a minute to finally start loading, is just completely bog slow to do anything) and frankly Samsung doesn't make a good tablet, imo and I can't think of any other actual Android options up to snuff (I don't care much for Amazon's fare either).

Also, are the speakers on it any good? I've been kind of spoiled by the speakers on the Nexus 9 and playing music from it is actually my #1 use aside from using it as a reader/simple text editor, which it can barely do anymore prompting me to finally move on.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The iPad refreshes seem to happen in the Spring now, so you should be fine there. I have not heard the speakers personally, but they are probably just OK if they're anything like the other non-Pro iPads.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I can live with OK, as long as they're not god-awful. Thanks.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    So I know Apple usually does their hardware refreshes in September/October but... is there any reason to hold off on getting one of the regular 9.7inch iPads? My Nexus 9 is breathing its last these days (can't multi-task, websites take up to a minute to finally start loading, is just completely bog slow to do anything) and frankly Samsung doesn't make a good tablet, imo and I can't think of any other actual Android options up to snuff (I don't care much for Amazon's fare either).

Also, are the speakers on it any good? I've been kind of spoiled by the speakers on the Nexus 9 and playing music from it is actually my #1 use aside from using it as a reader/simple text editor, which it can barely do anymore prompting me to finally move on.

So the iPad 9.7 just got refreshed a few months ago and its a pretty solid device. I would not expect any changes on that front.

There is a good chance that the iPad Pro line will see an update bringing the design closer to the iPhone X before end of year; oled, very small bezels, face ID, etc.

The iPad Pro has ridiculously good speakers for a tablet. The iPad has merely good speakers. Plenty loud enough to play music at your desk, but don't expect great stereo separation or anything like that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    So I’m thinking of getting an iPad Pro 12.9 to use when I’m in bed playing console games and want to google things. Also will be used when I’m not able to access my pc due to my 2 year old daughter watching Netflix. I may on occasion watch a video or play a phone type game. Also I will soon be helping my mother on a daily basis so having a portable access to all my recipes and music will be nice. Just the price is killing me!

Anyone have any thoughts?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    So I’m thinking of getting an iPad Pro 12.9 to use when I’m in bed playing console games and want to google things. Also will be used when I’m not able to access my pc due to my 2 year old daughter watching Netflix. I may on occasion watch a video or play a phone type game. Also I will soon be helping my mother on a daily basis so having a portable access to all my recipes and music will be nice. Just the price is killing me!

They're freakin' huge. Go handle one before you buy, they're ridiculous. I've got a 9.something Pro, and it's great. No complaints about power or anything either way, but mother of god, those things are big.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

They're freakin' huge. Go handle one before you buy, they're ridiculous. I've got a 9.something Pro, and it's great. No complaints about power or anything either way, but mother of god, those things are big.

I went today and tried them. It was huge but I liked it. I’m just so tired of my old man eyes having issues reading things in dim light in bed.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Watching the Apple event, I do want this watch, but I doubt I can justify the expense to my wife.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    The health tech built into it is really neat. There have been add-ons in the past that could deliver some of the same ECG benefits, but having it integrated is pretty amazing.

I’m due for a phone upgrade, but they really aren’t wowing me here. My 6S is getting dusty, but this is looking like one of the most bare bones tech/screen/camera upgrades in the iPhone’s history.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    I've been living on a busted iPhone 6 for a few months hoping for some good news today. I agree the new device doesn't wow me so maybe I'll just grab a discounted 8 instead.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    The iPhone XR actually seems like a pretty solid option. The trade offs seem more than reasonable for $250 lower than the new base model. My wife is looking to upgrade from a 6S and this may just hit the spot.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    The iPhone XR actually seems like a pretty solid option. The trade offs seem more than reasonable for $250 lower than the new base model. My wife is looking to upgrade from a 6S and this may just hit the spot.

I’m eyeing that one as well, but the lack of actual 3D Touch bums me out a bit. I know it gets neglected by developers, but I use it pretty regularly.

I think I might wait until iOS 12 is released and see how my 6S holds up.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Watching the Apple event, I do want this watch, but I doubt I can justify the expense to my wife.

"It might save my life."

• Options
    KPC wrote: »

"It might save my life."

I need to improve my diet and exercise regime before that line will do much convincing. :razz:

Still, I might scrounge up some pennies by Christmas for a self gift. It’s quite tempting.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2018
    Kind of a fun thought exercise and in no way news... but I have no idea what they are going to call the next iPhone.

iPhone 11 or iPhone Xs were the two obvious choices for what they did this year, and they went with Xs... and XR, with a "max" for the formerly plus-sized models...

But I now dont think they can go to 11. People keep saying "ecks" or "excess", there is confusion around the name... and its the last numbered product in their entire lineup anyways - it is time to change.

If I had to proffer my guess, the models they released this year could easily have worked under an apple watch style naming scheme, and that is where they will go next year.

All phones will just be called "iPhone" and they will be part of Series 11 or Series 14 (depending on how accurate they want to be), in which they can do an aluminum model, a stainless steel model... hell even an "edition" ceramic model, all in different colors.

It also would reinforce that they are all "iPhones" with the same processor, os and capabilities, and the differentiations would be build materials and storage, or whiz-bang but non critical things like 3D touch. And because a series would represent a processor/memory step as well, the entire series is either supported or not in the next OS release, which simplifies explaining what gets updates or not as tech advances.

Does this seem rational? What would you do if you could force Apple's marketing team to take your idea?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    iPhone One.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Sounds like a great idea to me. “The Series 4 Apple Watch is compatible with Series 8 and later iPhones.”

As for ideas: USB-C dammit! Stop screwing around with Lightning; dumb proprietary interfaces are dumb.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.